QB debate-just trust Bowles!

johnnyjet

if Geno is that good, lol, then he will get a chance. The coach until he proves different will get my support in his decision regarding who is the starter.  The comment that Geno was the starter before knocked out by a teammate over $600 is a valid one, but how far ahead of Fitz was he? Bowles is adamant in his statement Fitz is our Qb . So I'm thinking he didn't have a huge lead. He didn't say for now, he left no doubt at this time Fitz is the starter. There is no doubt this regime knows our Qb situation is dicey at best.  As a die hard fan I will be patient and hope they get it right soon.  Hell I've waited for a Qb since 1976-77 (when joe got waived) so whats another decade......

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if Geno is that good, lol, then he will get a chance. The coach until he proves different will get my support in his decision regarding who is the starter.  The comment that Geno was the starter before knocked out by a teammate over $600 is a valid one, but how far ahead of Fitz was he? Bowles is adamant in his statement Fitz is our Qb . So I'm thinking he didn't have a huge lead. He didn't say for now, he left no doubt at this time Fitz is the starter. There is no doubt this regime knows our Qb situation is dicey at best.  As a die hard fan I will be patient and hope they get it right soon.  Hell I've waited for a Qb since 1976-77 (when joe got waived) so whats another decade......

Yep.  I trust Bowles to do what's right right now, then Macc to do his thing in the offseason.  We have no other choice but to trust both Bowles and Macc.  They will dictate what we look like at QB for at least the next 4-5 years.

I don't think this decision has been made based on ability, if it was Geno would have entered the game last week and would be starting going forward.  I think it has to do w/ Fitz carrying himself like a pro and commanding respect in the LR.  that will only go so far if he keeps struggling but I believe that is why he is really the starter going forward.

I suspect that this is just Bowles' personality. You don't hear a lot of maybes or what ifs from him. Everything he says is definitive. I also don't get the impression that he's the type of guy who looks very far beyond the game at hand. Fitzpatrick is 100% the starter this week, and would have to be having a terrible game to get pulled. They'll approach the bye week differently, assessing every position on the team with the information they have. 

You guys do realize that even if Bowles hinted at going back to Geno(It's inevitable btw, no matter how much you get your panties in a bunch about it), he  needs to play catchup and practice for a few weeks before being ready to start correct?

Some of yall between this thread and the other Geno vs Fitz wars on this board are just making stuff up as yall go along. Fitz is starting because we're 2-1 and Geno isn't ready to start yet, even if Bowles wanted to make the switch right now.....

Yep.  I trust Bowles to do what's right right now, then Macc to do his thing in the offseason.  We have no other choice but to trust both Bowles and Macc.  They will dictate what we look like at QB for at least the next 4-5 years.

+1

We are in better hands than we were in the last 4 years.

I think the both of them blow away Rex & Idzik in the IQ department.

I suspect that this is just Bowles' personality. You don't hear a lot of maybes or what ifs from him. Everything he says is definitive. I also don't get the impression that he's the type of guy who looks very far beyond the game at hand. Fitzpatrick is 100% the starter this week, and would have to be having a terrible game to get pulled. They'll approach the bye week differently, assessing every position on the team with the information they have. 

"Your answer should be a simple yay or nay. Anything beyond that is of evil." Seems like Bowles read that somewhere. 

Anway, I agree with your statement. I think the back and forth was less about who should start this week. I believe most know it should be fitz given that its the first quarter of the season. 

If We can't generate enough offense then eventually we will have try and see if  Geno can do something.  We are a playoff contender and our defense will keep us in games but we need to score some points.  I'm hoping Fitz comes out strong Sunday but with a bye week coming up this might be the time for a change if Fitz doesnt play well.

I agree 100% with trusting both of them not only this season and for the future based on the way they handled their business thus far. However my concern for the future is not with them but the availability of any decent Qb's being an option in the off season or what is going to come out of college. It is still going to be slim pickings.

I agree 100% with trusting both of them not only this season and for the future based on the way they handled their business thus far. However my concern for the future is not with them but the availability of any decent Qb's being an option in the off season or what is going to come out of college. It is still going to be slim pickings.

It's always slim pickings at QB.  The hope is that they see things regular fans like us can't see.

Bowles has always said who ever is practicing better will play.  It's just a matter of time as carlito1171 pointed out.  I'm all for Fritz or whoever is under center.  Watching #14 was painful against Phily.  Now I understand Micheal Irvins comments before the season started.  

I feel we finally have a coach who will do what is best for the team at the most important position on the team.  I've never liked the age old NFL tradition of naming a starter and by god you never deviate from, that guy no matter what.  One way or the other Geno will get his chance some time this year imo.  He better work hard and be ready when it comes along.

I feel we finally have a coach who will do what is best for the team at the most important position on the team.  I've never liked the age old NFL tradition of naming a starter and by god you never deviate from, that guy no matter what.  One way or the other Geno will get his chance some time this year imo.  He better work hard and be ready when it comes along.

If he isn't working hard and ready he'd better not get his chance.

okay...

Bowles has always said who ever is practicing better will play.  It's just a matter of time as carlito1171 pointed out.  I'm all for Fritz or whoever is under center.  Watching #14 was painful against Phily.  Now I understand Micheal Irvins comments before the season started.  

I've been waiting for someone to acknowledge that. Thank you. 

One thing to consider that, in relation to Geno, Gailey said it would be a very long leash because he does not like to switch QBs. It is possible that extends now to Fitz not necessarily because he is better but because he is the starter. However, I think it would be naive to think that a change might happen or even be likely if Fitz performs poorly again Sunday. Remember, it is a situation where the backup is starting because of injury. The coaching staff after what I would think was an intense review, chose Geno as their starter so they do think he is a better QB than Fitz. Fitz was poor in all 3 games and terrible in the last it is difficult to imagine he will remain starter long

One thing to consider that, in relation to Geno, Gailey said it would be a very long leash because he does not like to switch QBs. It is possible that extends now to Fitz not necessarily because he is better but because he is the starter. However, I think it would be naive to think that a change might happen or even be likely if Fitz performs poorly again Sunday. Remember, it is a situation where the backup is starting because of injury. The coaching staff after what I would think was an intense review, chose Geno as their starter so they do think he is a better QB than Fitz. Fitz was poor in all 3 games and terrible in the last it is difficult to imagine he will remain starter long

I don't think the review was that intense.  They basically did it before camp even started and certainly before Fitzpatrick was cleared with his leg.

That's pretty much what most of you are doing. People are acting as if we have Aaron Rodgers on the bench. Whether we start Geno or Fitz, our QB situation is not going be very good. Fitz gives us a better chance at "average" while Geno gives us a chance at awful or better

Fitz did not play better than even 2nd year Geno would have in the first 3 games. Fitz threw 5 interceptions and was completely inept past 15 yards. The little bit of success we saw was scheme, not Fitz. People are getting COMPLETELY carried away with how bad Geno was last year. Even with that horrid Buffalo performance (which was largely on the CS) Geno threw 13 interceptions in 14 games, and as much as people want to discount it, played at a very high level the last 4 or 5 games, much better than what Fitz does throughout his career. The upside with Geno is pretty larger, and the downside in Gailey's system is likely no worse than Fitz performance so far.

The reality is that a lot of Jets fans dislike Geno the person more than rationally looking at his performance and potential as a QB.

Fitz knows the Offese that geno is trying to learn, that factored in with geno being a douche probably factored in.  I dont care who QBs the team as long as we win.  Id love to have a Rodgers waiting in the wings but we dont.  So In Todd we trust.  

I hope Petty is close and a quick study.  

I don't think the review was that intense.  They basically did it before camp even started and certainly before Fitzpatrick was cleared with his leg.

Not true. Directly contradicts what Gailey actually said in his early press conference, and it is significant that there was no pressure for the new staff to hitch their star to Geno but that chose to. That shows that they felt Geno was clearly ahead, and up to the point that he got injured he was clearly outperforming Fitz in camp.

We live in a nation of 320mm people.   As a general matter the best athlete in every town wants to be the QB.  And from there, there are not 32 people who can play the position well at the NFL level.  That is pretty shocking.  

Colleges have figured out that they can win games and fill seats with simplified offenses and do need or want to develop QBs with NFL skills.  So basically, the NFL either can adopt those offenses or develop those QBs.

It would seem apparent to me that a Bryce Petty has the physical skills to be an NFL QB, he was just never taught how.  That may take awhile.

Most of us like the new Front Office and the direction that they are taking the team.  it would appear to me that the Jets may be overinvested in the DL and Secondary and underinvested on the offense. But that being said, I don't think the strategy has to require a top QB, particularly if we have a dominant defense and OL.  The Jets have invested a very small amount of salary cap space in the QB position, and FWIW, Tom Brady's 2015 comp of $9,000,000 is only 21st in the NFL.  The Patriots realize that you need to play the other players to have an overall quality team.  Barring trading their entire draft for a blue chip QB prospect, and experiencing the growing pains that go along with that, it is tough to see how the Jets are in a position to draft a franchise QB, unless they poop the bed this season.  That has some merit, but Woody Johnson is too concerned about filling seats.  When the Jets rebuilt before, they signed good OL who would be around when they were competitive.  At least Cromartie at this point is a one year rental.  I

I like the Jets strategy of drafting QB prospects and trying to develop them.  They need to draft a QB every year until one works.   Ryan Fitzpatrick was brought in as a backup, and he was actually rated as one of the best backup QBs in the NFL.  He is 2-1.  Backup QBs can win if the rest of the team is healthy and functioning.  My fear is that Fitzpatrick's inability to get the ball downfield will stiffle the entire offense, particularly since the OL cannot assert their will.  

Before the year is out, the Jets need to know what they have with Geno Smith with better receivers.   If he can be shown off, maybe he is then traded, another QB is drafted, and we go into 2015 with RF, BP and draftee.  Or maybe he can be the answer.  This is a multiple year rebuild.  It will take time to get more quality players and replace players that are clearly aging.     But Woody Johnson is a showman, and at least at this point he is putting out a quality product.  Unfortunately, I don't like the matchups with the Jets and the rest of the AFC East-that may be our undoing, and losing last Sunday will hurt more than we think it does.

We live in a nation of 320mm people.   As a general matter the best athlete in every town wants to be the QB.  And from there, there are not 32 people who can play the position well at the NFL level.  That is pretty shocking.  

Colleges have figured out that they can win games and fill seats with simplified offenses and do need or want to develop QBs with NFL skills.  So basically, the NFL either can adopt those offenses or develop those QBs.

It would seem apparent to me that a Bryce Petty has the physical skills to be an NFL QB, he was just never taught how.  That may take awhile.

Most of us like the new Front Office and the direction that they are taking the team.  it would appear to me that the Jets may be overinvested in the DL and Secondary and underinvested on the offense. But that being said, I don't think the strategy has to require a top QB, particularly if we have a dominant defense and OL.  The Jets have invested a very small amount of salary cap space in the QB position, and FWIW, Tom Brady's 2015 comp of $9,000,000 is only 21st in the NFL.  The Patriots realize that you need to play the other players to have an overall quality team.  Barring trading their entire draft for a blue chip QB prospect, and experiencing the growing pains that go along with that, it is tough to see how the Jets are in a position to draft a franchise QB, unless they poop the bed this season.  That has some merit, but Woody Johnson is too concerned about filling seats.  When the Jets rebuilt before, they signed good OL who would be around when they were competitive.  At least Cromartie at this point is a one year rental.  I

I like the Jets strategy of drafting QB prospects and trying to develop them.  They need to draft a QB every year until one works.   Ryan Fitzpatrick was brought in as a backup, and he was actually rated as one of the best backup QBs in the NFL.  He is 2-1.  Backup QBs can win if the rest of the team is healthy and functioning.  My fear is that Fitzpatrick's inability to get the ball downfield will stiffle the entire offense, particularly since the OL cannot assert their will.  

Before the year is out, the Jets need to know what they have with Geno Smith with better receivers.   If he can be shown off, maybe he is then traded, another QB is drafted, and we go into 2015 with RF, BP and draftee.  Or maybe he can be the answer.  This is a multiple year rebuild.  It will take time to get more quality players and replace players that are clearly aging.     But Woody Johnson is a showman, and at least at this point he is putting out a quality product.  Unfortunately, I don't like the matchups with the Jets and the rest of the AFC East-that may be our undoing, and losing last Sunday will hurt more than we think it does.

Agree nice post.

Once we've been mathematically eliminated, I'd put Geno in there and see if he's learned anything.

Fitz did not play better than even 2nd year Geno would have in the first 3 games. Fitz threw 5 interceptions and was completely inept past 15 yards. The little bit of success we saw was scheme, not Fitz. People are getting COMPLETELY carried away with how bad Geno was last year. Even with that horrid Buffalo performance (which was largely on the CS) Geno threw 13 interceptions in 14 games, and as much as people want to discount it, played at a very high level the last 4 or 5 games, much better than what Fitz does throughout his career. The upside with Geno is pretty larger, and the downside in Gailey's system is likely no worse than Fitz performance so far.

The reality is that a lot of Jets fans dislike Geno the person more than rationally looking at his performance and potential as a QB.

Perhaps, but Geno lost that chance when he insanely allowed a couple of hundred dollars cost him the all of the exhibition games and the first 2 games of the season. you don't just hand that kind of stupid the starting QB job. 

I was one of the guys supporting the Jets decision to stick with geno this year (instead of going with Fitz) due to Geno's upside, but now we are forced to deal with Fitz thanks to Geno's continued lack of judgment. And to be honest, I am far more comfortable with Fitz. 

You seem to forget that late TD drive against the Colts when things were looking iffy. ZERO chance Geno would have been able to do that. He would be on the bench sulking. Fitz is smart and a leader. It ain't everything, but it's far better than stupid and scared. 

I don't think you remember how bad Geno was last year. He threw three interceptions in a single game and then was benched. If he had kept playing the game, well who knows. He was also saved statistically by those games where he was just handing off the ball all game. Hard to have more interceptions or bad passes when you aren't passing. It wasn't just the accuracy with Geno it was the poor decision-making on the field like running backwards to avoid sacks and holding the ball too long.

Sadly, I'll take the guy with five interceptions across three games than the guy who threw three interceptions in one game before he was benched.

I don't think you remember how bad Geno was last year. He threw three interceptions in a single game and then was benched. If he had kept playing the game, well who knows. He was also saved statistically by those games where he was just handing off the ball all game. Hard to have more interceptions or bad passes when you aren't passing. It wasn't just the accuracy with Geno it was the poor decision-making on the field like running backwards to avoid sacks and holding the ball too long.

Sadly, I'll take the guy with five interceptions across three games than the guy who threw three interceptions in one game before he was benched.

he was awful that day but he did finish strong, Buf killed us when Vick started too.  we had many more issues than just the QB.

I think the only thing upon which the QB camps can agree is that barring injury, under no circumstances should we start Bryce Petty this year.

At least that "consensus" represents an evolution in the thinking that people around here have used in the past to push "not-NFL-ready"  Mark Sanchez and then "not-NFL-ready" Geno Smith into a starting role from day-1.  The arguments as I recollect them were that no NFL QB ever learns to to play in this league by sitting on the bench whereas almost the exact opposite may be true.

I think the only thing upon which the QB camps can agree is that barring injury, under no circumstances should we start Bryce Petty this year.

At least that "consensus" represents an evolution in the thinking that people around here have used in the past to push "not-NFL-ready"  Mark Sanchez and then "not-NFL-ready" Geno Smith into a starting role from day-1.  The arguments as I recollect them were that no NFL QB ever learns to to play in this league by sitting on the bench whereas almost the exact opposite may be true.

Mark was clearly ready, geno was not.

Archived