Geno Smith (2014) Vs Ryan Fitzpatrick (2015)

win4ever

Geno was given 1.33 seasons to show his commitment to be a professional and leader of men (2013 was a wash, he had no business starting as a rookie a full season due to Rex's idiocy over a Peanuts character trophy). 

He regressed in 2014 and showed poor professionalism in his Glass Joe impression. Yes he is physically superior than Fitzy, but he seems a ways of "getting it" and, similar to Rex, hasn't demonstrated the full capacity to be the Head Chief.

Fitzy is merely a Gatekeeper. Similar to Vincenzo @ TurnOfTheCentury, perhaps one last fairly tale run for the veteran journeyman who is more sage than saviour. The Philly game showed The Beard's Achilles Heel. I have faith Gailey will put either QB In The position to succeed; it's just that I believe Fitzy won't make the infuriating decision compared to The former Mountaineer. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything Geno has a better chance of coming from behind. Fitz is not built to recover from a large deficit. Hopefully with our defense we don't get down 24-0 very often.

It would probably include a punt return TD, and an ill advised lateral.

Otherwise Fitz just runs the team at a far superior level. Maybe you guys have short memories, but pop in a tape of a game from last year and remind yourselves of the confusion.

I feel like that's just going on stats alone - but actually watching geno vs watching fitz - geno is wildly inconsistent whereas fitz is pretty steady in how good/bad he's been.

and I see it largely the opposite, Fitz is incredibly limited and unable to make plays and Geno is dynamic and can make plays through the air and with this feet.

If anything Geno has a better chance of coming from behind. Fitz is not built to recover from a large deficit. Hopefully with our defense we don't get down 24-0 very often.

It would probably include a punt return TD, and an ill advised lateral.

Otherwise Fitz just runs the team at a far superior level. Maybe you guys have short memories, but pop in a tape of a game from last year and remind yourselves of the confusion.

The Jets run the simplest offensive scheme in the NFL. Last year, they ran possibly the most complicated in the MM WC system. Geno would "run the team"  just as well

The Jets run the simplest offensive scheme in the NFL. Last year, they ran possibly the most complicated in the MM WC system. Geno would "run the team"  just as well

Jets are up 10-0 ... and yet why do I think it's gonna be a long day for you?

and I see it largely the opposite, Fitz is incredibly limited and unable to make plays and Geno is dynamic and can make plays through the air and with this feet.

Geno = Loser

Fitz = 3-1

no brainier ... Fitz all the way this year ... Petty next year or year after

QB Rating:

Geno:  77.5

Fitz:  78.4 

QBR:

Geno:  44.4

Fitz:  45

INT%:

Geno:  3.5%

Fitz:  4.3%

Yards Per Attempt: 

Geno:  6.9

Fitz:  6.1

TD %

Geno:  3.5

Fitz:  5.2

These are the stats from Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick.  They are all but identical (yet Geno Smith gets vilified for being a horrible QB last year) but Ryan Fitzpatrick is the way to go this year?  Fitzpatrick has a better system (easier reads) with better weapons as well (along with his vast knowledge and experience) yet he isn't doing a whole lot much to distinguish himself from Geno.  He has a higher TD%  but also a higher INT% as well.  

How many Picks 6's did Geno throw last year? How about when Fitz threw the ball away allowing Folk to attempt a FG (he missed) that Geno may have taken a sack moving us out of FG range, or forcing the ball that may have been intercepted.  I'm not anti-Geno, but there are things that don't show in stats.

By "dynamic" do you mean "Has the ability to find new and creative ways to commit back-breaking turnovers"?  If so I agree fully.

By "dynamic" do you mean "Has the ability to find new and creative ways to commit back-breaking turnovers"?  If so I agree fully.

Some people will not be able to enjoy what's shaping up to be a great season because all they care about is being proven right on a message board

Geno is not starting for one reason and one reason only:

He had his jaw broken and the coaching staff does not think he is completely back up to speed.

On no level does it have anything to do with Fitz. Had Geno not had his jaw broken he would have likely started the season, and it seems very very likely he returns at some point this side. 

Also: NOTHING the coaching staff has done suggest at all that they feel Geno has more downside. Quite the opposite actually.

The Jets tried to get Kirk Cousins did that show they have a lot of faith in Geno??:blink:

They looked into Cousins as a replacement for Fitz not Geno. Whatever. Argument is tiring. No side is going to give an inch.

Jets are 3-1. The in fighting is ridiculous but hilarious. Even if Fitz hoists a Lombardi they will argue "Yeah but Geno would've won the SB by MORE points cause... ceiling.... errr weaponzzzz... errr..."

Jets are 3-1. The in fighting is ridiculous but hilarious. Even if Fitz hoists a Lombardi they will argue "Yeah but Geno would've won the SB by MORE points cause... ceiling.... errr weaponzzzz... errr..."

Yes we are 3-1, but I see very little contribution from Fitz to that 3-1. Reality is that we have beaten 3 bad teams, lost to one very bad team, and can point the finger entirely at the defense as the reason why. Fitz has 6 turnovers in 4 games, Geno had 13 in 13 games last year and 10 in 12 games if you don't count the Buffalo debacle, yet Fitz is being hailed as smart and professional and better than Geno. Do not see it.

Yes we are 3-1, but I see very little contribution from Fitz to that 3-1. Reality is that we have beaten 3 bad teams, lost to one very bad team, and can point the finger entirely at the defense as the reason why. Fitz has 6 turnovers in 4 games, Geno had 13 in 13 games last year and 10 in 12 games if you don't count the Buffalo debacle, yet Fitz is being hailed as smart and professional and better than Geno. Do not see it.

Respectfully, who cares? Making a change now would be the epitome of risking a bird in the hand to chase two in the bush.

How can you not count that?? Ok lets not count the Jets losses last year so then we are looking at a undefeated season..LOL

They looked into Cousins as a replacement for Fitz not Geno. Whatever. Argument is tiring. No side is going to give an inch.

This comment is sheer and utter nonsense.  Geno is ready to play he's still on the bench, why?  Geno Smith is not some 'he is our guy' 1st round pick.  He is a 2nd rounder with some good physical skills but some highly suspect leadership and in game reading skills.  He had a year and half to impress to the point of being a solid starter no questions asked, the type that as soon as he gets healthy he gets his job back.

This regime of coach and GM are putting winning 1st and though everyone agrees that fitzpatrick is limited and not long term he is doing exactly what he was brought in here for.  Holding the fort, not outright losing games, relying on good D and a run game.  7 tds and 6 ints is only so so but the fact that he has fumbled once and has not lost a fumble is big.

Geno will most likely get his chance at some point due to injury or the Fitzpatrick hitting the wall so I wouldn't worry if I was you.  Your guy will get another shot but the Jets owe him NOTHING.

This comment is sheer and utter nonsense.  Geno is ready to play he's still on the bench, why?  Geno Smith is not some 'he is our guy' 1st round pick.  He is a 2nd rounder with some good physical skills but some highly suspect leadership and in game reading skills.  He had a year and half to impress to the point of being a solid starter no questions asked, the type that as soon as he gets healthy he gets his job back.

This regime of coach and GM are putting winning 1st and though everyone agrees that fitzpatrick is limited and not long term he is doing exactly what he was brought in here for.  Holding the fort, not outright losing games, relying on good D and a run game.  7 tds and 6 ints is only so so but the fact that he has fumbled once and has not lost a fumble is big.

Geno will most likely get his chance at some point due to injury or the Fitzpatrick hitting the wall so I wouldn't worry if I was you.  Your guy will get another shot but the Jets owe him NOTHING.

merely giving rep didn't do this post justice, just wanted to say nice post

I feel stats alone are a bit miss-leading here - Fitz ints have not been "back breakers" where we put their O in an easy position to score, and 2 of them have come at a point where we were trailing late and we were pressing for the comeback.  I remember a lot of Geno picks deep in our own end last year.

I get what you're saying - Geno is more talented than Fitz no question, but Geno seems to make more stupid mistakes IMO.  With Fitz we see his physical limitations, but we're not seeing nearly as many bone-headed game-changing decisions.  Its like I said before Geno gives you a higher ceiling but also a lower floor, I feel much more comfortable with Fitz's limitations than I do with Geno's downside and inexperience.  The D is good enough that with limited mistakes an average offence will win us games, with geno we have potential to get better than avg sometimes, but it seems lower than avg most of the time.

Interesting article about Geno vs Fitz   http://nypost.com/2015/10/05/jets-rewind-the-wild-ryan-fitzpatrick-ride-still-better-than-geno/ 

To me, Fitzpatrick has two things Smith did not. Fitzpatrick can read defenses. His interceptions mostly come from poor throws. Smith rarely seemed to know what he was looking at with defenses and threw a lot of terrible interceptions right to a defender.

Fitzpatrick also has a calming presence for the entire team. The Jets believe in Fitzpatrick. They never believed in Smith. Fitzpatrick is a veteran who has seen it all. That is a reassuring thing for his teammates. He also has a steady demeanor. He always seems to be in a good mood. The man has five kids. Football is the easy part of his day. Smith is moody and unpredictable. He also has a cockiness about him without the resume to back it up. That rubs teammates the wrong way.

Interesting article about Geno vs Fitz   http://nypost.com/2015/10/05/jets-rewind-the-wild-ryan-fitzpatrick-ride-still-better-than-geno/ 

To me, Fitzpatrick has two things Smith did not. Fitzpatrick can read defenses. His interceptions mostly come from poor throws. Smith rarely seemed to know what he was looking at with defenses and threw a lot of terrible interceptions right to a defender.

Fitzpatrick also has a calming presence for the entire team. The Jets believe in Fitzpatrick. They never believed in Smith. Fitzpatrick is a veteran who has seen it all. That is a reassuring thing for his teammates. He also has a steady demeanor. He always seems to be in a good mood. The man has five kids. Football is the easy part of his day. Smith is moody and unpredictable. He also has a cockiness about him without the resume to back it up. That rubs teammates the wrong way.

I agree Geno is incompetent when it comes to reading defenses. But as much as the media and everyone here talk about Fitz's smarts, there's no way you can say that he was able to make multiple reads on a consistent basis through the first four games.   Became really apparent watching the offensive breakdowns posted on JN. 

Cant see them making any changes right now though. 

13 in 13 games but 10 in 12 if you don't count Buffalo. Or zero in zero like this year are all crappy stats. He's a backup if that.  He will be gone from the nfl in less than 5 years. Not a leader, not a nfl caliber starting Qb. The argument is now boring and pointless at 3-1. Geno lovers are not smarter than the coaching staff. Must all be West Virginia grads. 

Fitz's INT's are also IMO due (a number of them) to a couple of very weak-efforts on the part of the WR's to fight for the ball.

Our rookie is already notorious for this IMO.  He has played very soft and simply got beat out for long toss ups a couple of times.

Fitz's weak arm absolutely plays a part in that, no questionabout it the passes are "underthrown", but I expect our R"s to fight for every pass, not to allow the defender an almost unchallenged INT just because it's a short pass when they're both next to each other.

Great post (particularly the 2nd paragraph). I do think Fitzpatrick's ability to read defenses is vastly overstated and overrated, since he very much tends to lock onto one receiver - as a result he doesn't see ones who get open while locking onto his primary - and also misses easy pre-snap things the defense shows.  That said, I've certainly seen zero evidence that Geno is even Fitzpatrick's equal in this area (let alone being his superior). 

Archived