Time for cookie monster

batman10023

Let's put together a collection for a cookie of the month club or something to get this guy back.  Did he go to some other board after the JIer massacre?

He was last heard saying that tornado will never hit my double wide.. Cookie and his trailer haven't been seen since..:)

NOAA is the source.  screw the fear mongers.  they are saying to check the forecast daily, as it will probably change every day.  this forecast is a composite of the best models.  

235910W5_NL_sm.gif

interestingly, the european model, my preferred model, has it going out to sea

Monster called snow storms correctly 90% of the time and a week before the broadcasters.  I think he hibernates during the warm months. 

yes it was amazing. He'd give us the heads up like a week before and I'd be prepared.  I told people at work the Cookie Monster told me.  

that seems like a big deal no?  Are we talking sandy big?

Reports I saw showed the tracks that would hit us directly had the storm as a category 3 hurricane when it was off the coast of the Carolinas.  But as it approaches land and cooler waters north, it drops to a category 1 before landfall.

Still enough to ruin my Sunday (if that's when it hits) here at the shore.

9:30 Jets / Fish, 1pm Giants / Rex, 4pm Peyton / AP, 8pm Saints / Cowboys 

Gotta tune up the generator.  Unless the roof comes off my house, no storm gonna stop me from 9am-11pm football.

Reports I saw showed the tracks that would hit us directly had the storm as a category 3 hurricane when it was off the coast of the Carolinas.  But as it approaches land and cooler waters north, it drops to a category 1 before landfall.

Still enough to ruin my Sunday (if that's when it hits) here at the shore.

9:30 Jets / Fish, 1pm Giants / Rex, 4pm Peyton / AP, 8pm Saints / Cowboys 

Gotta tune up the generator.  Unless the roof comes off my house, no storm gonna stop me from 9am-11pm football.

Do you have directv? Because most likely if the power goes down your generator will not help get you a cable tv signal. With Sandy I had to use the directv on my tailgate trailer as the cable box in the house was useless. Cable service was actually down for a few days after we got power back.

Do you have directv? Because most likely if the power goes down your generator will not help get you a cable tv signal. With Sandy I had to use the directv on my tailgate trailer as the cable box in the house was useless. Cable service was actually down for a few days after we got power back.

Nice.  Good thinking.

But me, nope, no directv.  Fios.  During Sandy I just ran my tailgate generator (little 2k watt Honda that runs 5hrs on a gallon of gas) and I had tv and internet the whole time.  Works anytime the power goes out.

So if power goes out come Sunday, one extension cord to the basement verizon box, then another power line to the entertainment center and router.  Good to go.  2 TVs and cable boxes (game and red zone channel), surround sound, and laptop plugged in with live internet from router for fantasy stats.

Even power left over to plug in couple lights and keep the fridge running.  Gotta keep the beers cold.  

Now if the power stays out too long, I just start up the Jet Van, which is basically a big generator used for tailgating.  High output alternator, 4 marine batteries wired together and power inverters.  Run some lines from there and I can cook with toaster oven and microwave.  Not to mention power everything in my house not running off 220.

However if a tree goes down and takes out the Verizon line to my house... not sure.  Van has a powered digital dish/antenna I use during tailgates.  Not sure if it'll get a signal from here (Southern Monmouth).  Gotta test that tomorrow.  If it does work, just run a cable line in from van.  If not, I'll be driving north in a hurricane until it picks up a signal and watching on the TV in there.  Sadly no beers in that scenario though.

Is a storm heading towards the east coast/new york? 

Perhaps.  If cookie monster were here, he could tell us.

http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-joaquin-east-coast-track-heavy-rain-deluge-flash-flooding-atlantic/52672710

Hurricane Joaquin has the potential to reach the eastern United States coast this weekend, but there is still the possibility that the storm goes out to sea.

Even if the storm remains offshore, moisture from the storm will still get pulled into the mid-Atlantic and Carolinas, which will likely lead to heavy rainfall and flooding.

Joaquin Strengthening; Mid-Atlantic Coast on Alert for Weekend

1612802193_4521057722001_video-still-for

Hurricane Joaquin is rapidly intensifying. Joaquin reached Category 3 status late Wednesday evening. The storm is now expected to strengthen into a Category 4 storm sometime late Thursday or Thursday night.

After it passes just northeast of the Bahamas Thursday, Joaquin will begin to turn north and parallel the East Coast on Friday and Saturday.

JUMP TO: Joaquin Track Scenarios | Inland Flooding | Coastal Flooding, Strong Winds

The storm will bring pounding surf, dangerous seas, strong winds, drenching squalls and flash flooding to the central Bahamas. Wind gusts could reach between 75 and 100 mph on some of the islands.

As a result, Joaquin will threaten lives and property in the Bahamas through Thursday, before turning northward. Bahamasair has cancelled flights for Thursday in parts of the islands.

Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe issued a state of emergency on Wednesday night throughout the entire state in response to the recent flooding and in preparation for Joaquin.

Governors in surrounding mid-Atlantic states are closely monitoring the progress of the storm even though emergency declarations have not been issued.

Joaquin Track Scenarios

650x366_09301910_hd32-2.jpg

The most likely scenario is for Joaquin to be guided westward this weekend with possible landfall between North Carolina and southern New Jersey on Sunday.

Exactly where the system rolls ashore and progresses inland will define the worst conditions in terms of wind and flooding. It is too early to say for sure exactly where Joaquin may move onshore.

650x366_10010849_hd25.jpg

Should Joaquin track into northeastern North Carolina, conditions may get very nasty over the Delmarva Peninsula with significant rain, wind and coastal flooding westward to the Chesapeake Bay, including the Washington, D.C., and Baltimore areas. Conditions could approach that of Isabel.

Should Joaquin track into the Delmarva Peninsula, then similar very rough conditions would occur from Delaware to New Jersey, including areas westward through the Delaware Bay region, including Cape May, New Jersey, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, and Philadelphia. Conditions could approach or exceed that of Irene.

A less likely path for Joaquin is to stay at sea directly avoid land, with less severe impact along the coast this weekend into early next week.

RELATED:
AccuWeather Atlantic Hurricane Center
Northeast Interactive Weather Radar
Bernie Rayno: Hurricane Joaquin to Unleash Flooding Along US East Coast

At this venture, people along the coast from the Carolinas to southern New England should be prepared for the possibility of hurricane conditions with everything from inland to coastal flooding and strong winds.

Many areas can expect rounds of heavy rain on top of what has already fallen with the next dose set to begin as early as Thursday night in the mid-Atlantic.

The result from the storms, whether or not topped off from Joaquin, will still produce widespread flooding.

Inland Flooding

Preceding the arrival or close approach of Joaquin will be another dose of heavy rain during Friday and this weekend. Motorists and airline passengers should be prepared for delays. Some neighborhoods could become flooded.

650x366_10010844_hd26.jpg

Many football fans heading to games this weekend will get drenched, and the likelihood of muddy parking lots exists. Baseball fans may have their last games of the regular season postponed.

Each subsequent round of rain will bring increasing runoff that will find its way from storm drains to streams and eventually larger rivers. As a result, flooding will progressively become more widespread.

Flash flooding along small streams and in urban areas is a given with the event through the weekend. Enough rain may fall to cause flooding along unprotected areas of rivers, perhaps including the New, Tar, Meherrein, Potomac, Shenandoah and James by early next week.

The combination of rain from earlier this week and what is expected to continue into early next week may approach a foot in some locations, hence the serious flooding.

Coastal Flooding, Strong Winds

Like flash and urban flooding, coastal flooding and beach erosion with this event are a given.

The coastal flooding and stiff winds will not wait until the day Joaquin arrives but will continue to build Friday through the weekend.

How severe the coastal flooding and winds become will depend on the strength and track of Joaquin this weekend.

The onshore winds from the east will push the Atlantic Ocean water toward the coast, causing it to pile up around the barrier islands, back bay and inland bays. This is known as coastal flooding.

650x366_09301635_hd29.jpg

If Joaquin remains a hurricane and plows onshore between North Carolina and the Delmarva Peninsula, major flooding at times of high tide are likely near and north of the storm's center.

In this case, water levels in some areas could rise to an average of 3-6 feet above normal tides up to a couple of hundred miles north of the center. Under this scenario, these conditions could reach as far north as New York City and Long Island Sound with lesser water rises in New England.

Even if Joaquin stays at sea and curves away, there will still be a non-tropical component of the storm that delivers minor to moderate coastal flooding and stiff winds over a broad area from the Carolinas to the New England coast.

In addition to the threats at the coast, a tropical feed of moisture tied to Joaquin will likely bring heavy rain and flooding to the Carolinas and southern mid-Atlantic, especially as the moisture encounters the higher terrain of the western Carolinas. This is expected to occur even if the storm remains offshore.

The strength of the east to northeast winds will depend on the strength of Joaquin and or the non-tropical storm to the south. Winds could become strong enough to down trees and power lines and cause minor property damage.

Updates on the storm will be provided through AccuWeather.com, The AccuWeather Network and AccuWeather's radio and TV affiliates.

Those in the projected path of the storm should be preparing for the potential rain and wind from Joaquin. Residents in coastal areas should be ready to evacuate if orders are given.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-joaquin-east-coast-track-heavy-rain-deluge-flash-flooding-atlantic/52672710

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-joaquin-east-coast-track-heavy-rain-deluge-flash-flooding-atlantic/52672710http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-joaquin-east-coast-track-heavy-rain-deluge-flash-flooding-atlantic/52672710http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-joaquin-east-coast-track-heavy-rain-deluge-flash-flooding-atlantic/52672710http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-joaquin-east-coast-track-heavy-rain-deluge-flash-flooding-atlantic/52672710Perhaps.  If cookie monster were here, he could tell us.

http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-joaquin-east-coast-track-heavy-rain-deluge-flash-flooding-atlantic/52672710

Hurricane Joaquin has the potential to reach the eastern United States coast this weekend, but there is still the possibility that the storm goes out to sea.

Even if the storm remains offshore, moisture from the storm will still get pulled into the mid-Atlantic and Carolinas, which will likely lead to heavy rainfall and flooding.

Joaquin Strengthening; Mid-Atlantic Coast on Alert for Weekend

1612802193_4521057722001_video-still-for

Hurricane Joaquin is rapidly intensifying. Joaquin reached Category 3 status late Wednesday evening. The storm is now expected to strengthen into a Category 4 storm sometime late Thursday or Thursday night.

After it passes just northeast of the Bahamas Thursday, Joaquin will begin to turn north and parallel the East Coast on Friday and Saturday.

JUMP TO: Joaquin Track Scenarios | Inland Flooding | Coastal Flooding, Strong Winds

The storm will bring pounding surf, dangerous seas, strong winds, drenching squalls and flash flooding to the central Bahamas. Wind gusts could reach between 75 and 100 mph on some of the islands.

As a result, Joaquin will threaten lives and property in the Bahamas through Thursday, before turning northward. Bahamasair has cancelled flights for Thursday in parts of the islands.

Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe issued a state of emergency on Wednesday night throughout the entire state in response to the recent flooding and in preparation for Joaquin.

Governors in surrounding mid-Atlantic states are closely monitoring the progress of the storm even though emergency declarations have not been issued.

Joaquin Track Scenarios

650x366_09301910_hd32-2.jpg

The most likely scenario is for Joaquin to be guided westward this weekend with possible landfall between North Carolina and southern New Jersey on Sunday.

Exactly where the system rolls ashore and progresses inland will define the worst conditions in terms of wind and flooding. It is too early to say for sure exactly where Joaquin may move onshore.

650x366_10010849_hd25.jpg

Should Joaquin track into northeastern North Carolina, conditions may get very nasty over the Delmarva Peninsula with significant rain, wind and coastal flooding westward to the Chesapeake Bay, including the Washington, D.C., and Baltimore areas. Conditions could approach that of Isabel.

Should Joaquin track into the Delmarva Peninsula, then similar very rough conditions would occur from Delaware to New Jersey, including areas westward through the Delaware Bay region, including Cape May, New Jersey, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, and Philadelphia. Conditions could approach or exceed that of Irene.

A less likely path for Joaquin is to stay at sea directly avoid land, with less severe impact along the coast this weekend into early next week.

RELATED:
AccuWeather Atlantic Hurricane Center
Northeast Interactive Weather Radar
Bernie Rayno: Hurricane Joaquin to Unleash Flooding Along US East Coast

At this venture, people along the coast from the Carolinas to southern New England should be prepared for the possibility of hurricane conditions with everything from inland to coastal flooding and strong winds.

Many areas can expect rounds of heavy rain on top of what has already fallen with the next dose set to begin as early as Thursday night in the mid-Atlantic.

The result from the storms, whether or not topped off from Joaquin, will still produce widespread flooding.

Inland Flooding

Preceding the arrival or close approach of Joaquin will be another dose of heavy rain during Friday and this weekend. Motorists and airline passengers should be prepared for delays. Some neighborhoods could become flooded.

650x366_10010844_hd26.jpg

Many football fans heading to games this weekend will get drenched, and the likelihood of muddy parking lots exists. Baseball fans may have their last games of the regular season postponed.

Each subsequent round of rain will bring increasing runoff that will find its way from storm drains to streams and eventually larger rivers. As a result, flooding will progressively become more widespread.

Flash flooding along small streams and in urban areas is a given with the event through the weekend. Enough rain may fall to cause flooding along unprotected areas of rivers, perhaps including the New, Tar, Meherrein, Potomac, Shenandoah and James by early next week.

The combination of rain from earlier this week and what is expected to continue into early next week may approach a foot in some locations, hence the serious flooding.

Coastal Flooding, Strong Winds

Like flash and urban flooding, coastal flooding and beach erosion with this event are a given.

The coastal flooding and stiff winds will not wait until the day Joaquin arrives but will continue to build Friday through the weekend.

How severe the coastal flooding and winds become will depend on the strength and track of Joaquin this weekend.

The onshore winds from the east will push the Atlantic Ocean water toward the coast, causing it to pile up around the barrier islands, back bay and inland bays. This is known as coastal flooding.

650x366_09301635_hd29.jpg

If Joaquin remains a hurricane and plows onshore between North Carolina and the Delmarva Peninsula, major flooding at times of high tide are likely near and north of the storm's center.

In this case, water levels in some areas could rise to an average of 3-6 feet above normal tides up to a couple of hundred miles north of the center. Under this scenario, these conditions could reach as far north as New York City and Long Island Sound with lesser water rises in New England.

Even if Joaquin stays at sea and curves away, there will still be a non-tropical component of the storm that delivers minor to moderate coastal flooding and stiff winds over a broad area from the Carolinas to the New England coast.

In addition to the threats at the coast, a tropical feed of moisture tied to Joaquin will likely bring heavy rain and flooding to the Carolinas and southern mid-Atlantic, especially as the moisture encounters the higher terrain of the western Carolinas. This is expected to occur even if the storm remains offshore.

The strength of the east to northeast winds will depend on the strength of Joaquin and or the non-tropical storm to the south. Winds could become strong enough to down trees and power lines and cause minor property damage.

Updates on the storm will be provided through AccuWeather.com, The AccuWeather Network and AccuWeather's radio and TV affiliates.

Those in the projected path of the storm should be preparing for the potential rain and wind from Joaquin. Residents in coastal areas should be ready to evacuate if orders are given.

Bernie Rayno is the John Madden of weather.  The guy gets hyped up for big storms and will do 6 minute detailed forecasts.  If Cookie Monster says somethings brewing, I go right to Bernie. This video is from yesterday but if you want real detail, go to Bernie!

http://videowall.accuweather.com/detail/videos/accuweather-experts/video/2430839568001/hurricane-joaquin-to-unleash-flooding-along-us-east-coast?autoStart=true 

NOAA is the source.  screw the fear mongers.  they are saying to check the forecast daily, as it will probably change every day.  this forecast is a composite of the best models.  

235910W5_NL_sm.gif

interestingly, the european model, my preferred model, has it going out to sea

The surf has been soooo good lately from these storms.  The weekend forecast looks EPIC!!!!!!

i

that seems like a big deal no?  Are we talking sandy big?

nononononono

sandy was 1,100 miles wide joaquin is 90 miles wide, but I haven't found a definitive size yet

even sandy came to shore as a TS in NJ, don't belive the fear mongering from the media, as of today, this is a rain event for us

the forecast has already shifted 100 miles in one day

204603W5_NL_sm.gif

Archived