Rexy boy is back

Rexorcism

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/09/rex_ryan_on_the_jets_not_my_team_at_the_end.html#incart_river

Rex Ryan: Jets, not Giants, could have won Super Bowl XLVI

EAST RUTHERFORD — If you thought Rex Ryan would politely decline to speak about the Jets this week as his Buffalo Bills get ready to play the Giants, you obviously have short-term memory problems.

Ryan made the rounds on Wednesday, first in a teleconference with Giants media and then on WFAN with Mike Francesa, and it was the same old colorful Rex who dominated headlines when he started with the Jets, not the muzzled version whose ill-fated 4-12 season got him fired. 

He spoke at length about the infamous 2011 Christmas Eve game, a 29-14 Giants victory over the Jets that turned on Victor Cruz's incredible 99-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter. 

"You remember that day, it was Christmas Eve, we were totally in control of that game, and on third and 10, they hit the 99-yard touchdown pass into double coverage," Ryan said. "Here's the thing that's amazing. Eli (Manning) in that game, I think he's 8 of 27 passing, not that I remember it, with 225 yards passing and 99 on the one play. (Manning was actually 9-for-27 for 225 yards and a TD.)

"If you could point at one play that turned not just a game around but maybe a season around, that was that game. That play. Because the Giants came out a totally different team at halftime, and they carried it the rest of the regular season and the postseason, and they won a Super Bowl."

So does Ryan believe, had that pass to Cruz fallen incomplete, that the Jets may have made a similar unexpected run to the Super Bowl? (You better sit down, Giants fans.)

"Yeah. I absolutely do. Yeah."

As we were saying: New town, same Rex. He also talked about his final two seasons with the Jets after John Idzik became general manager, and it's clear these aren't happy memories. 

RELATED: Victor Cruz suffers set back at practice ... will he play?

"I felt it wasn't my team anymore. It wasn't meant to be my team," Ryan said. "It wasn't that anybody put a muzzle on my all the time. I knew the pecking order had changed and all that. That's just the way it was."

Ryan expanded on that comment later with Francesa, who asked him why he didn't speak up despite "coaching with both hands tied behind your back last year," given that Idzik left holes throughout the roster and significant space under the salary cap. 

"Because, at the end of the day, it's my responsibility, no matter what you have as a football coach, to do your very best and to believe in your team and I believe in my team," he said. "Why blame others for something that's my responsibility as the head coach?

"I'm blessed to be in the position I'm in. I recognize that your job as a head coach, it's to take some of those criticisms."

Constantly trying to re-write history... always worried about re-framing perception. 

For a guy who constantly makes "own it" statments in his casual dialogue, like "that's on me" and "I accept that", everything else he says absolutely 100% contradicts the notion of him owning or being accountable for anything at all.

Constantly trying to re-write history... always worried about re-framing perception. 

For a guy who constantly makes "own it" statments in his casual dialogue, like "that's on me" and "I accept that", everything else he says absolutely 100% contradicts the notion of him owning or being accountable for anything at all.

He is responsible for anything good that happens with "his" teams, but anything bad is on someone else. Like "his" defense, and "the" offense.

The guy has never lost a game in his life.

Best coach we've ever had. Was a fun ride.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Sure. I love rides that take me way up high in the air, go tumbling down without brakes, launch it's passengers in the air after which we all land on our faces, and if we're luck enough to survive, we are scarred beyond repair and have to get skin grafts from our butts. Then everyone calls us butt face and our faces smell like sh*t. Thanks Rex!

Sure. I love rides that take me way up high in the air, go tumbling down without brakes, launch it's passengers in the air after which we all land on our faces, and if we're luck enough to survive, we are scarred beyond repair and have to get skin grafts from our butts. Then everyone calls us butt face and our faces smell like sh*t. Thanks Rex!

That about sums it up!

Rex is a blowhard, but it was pretty obvious that it was a bad situation all around when they kept him and he didn't get the "choose" the GM. They brought in a GM who was trying to rebuild and didn't see eye to eye with Rex. That's a Woody. I don't get why people are mad at Rex about it.

Rex is a blowhard, but it was pretty obvious that it was a bad situation all around when they kept him and he didn't get the "choose" the GM. They brought in a GM who was trying to rebuild and didn't see eye to eye with Rex. That's a Woody. I don't get why people are mad at Rex about it.

THIS!

That play changed that game and the seasons for both teams, I agree with Rex.

I agree I don't see why it's such an outrageous statement we probably make the playoffs if we win that game instead we get to watch the Giants win another Lombardi Trophy.

but I'm just a Fitz/Rex apologist

Still remember that play, just when you thought Eli was sacked, they hit a TD , something the Ravens fans warned us about when he was hired as the Jets HC 

Enjoy the ride Buffalo

Ravens fans warned us in 2009 that Boise St corner Kyle Wilson would be the worst CB in the NFL?

I agree I don't see why it's such an outrageous statement we probably make the playoffs if we win that game instead we get to watch the Giants win another Lombardi Trophy.

except we get blown out by the Eagles the week before and then lose fairly easily to the fins.  The score was close but I felt the game wasnt as close.   REXis

not  a great coach. He is a simple person, simple mind.  

except we get blown out by the Eagles the week before and then lose fairly easily to the fins.  The score was close but I felt the game wasnt as close.   REXis

not  a great coach. He is a simple person, simple mind.  

fairly easily? we led at Miami in the 4th qtr.

that Cruz play changed the game and seasons for both teams.  rex isn't the first person to say, the Giants believe that too.

He is responsible for anything good that happens with "his" teams, but anything bad is on someone else. Like "his" defense, and "the" offense.

This is not true.  He took responsibility for the loss of the Bills vs Patriots just two weeks ago.

I think everyone agrees with that part of Rex's comments, obviously it was a huge turning point for both teams...The part about us winning the SB instead of the Giants is typical ridiculous Rex, that 2011 group was not going to win a Super Bowl plus all the other stuff he said, typical blowhard nonsense.

Archived