Moving out the Northeast?

BroadwayJoe12

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what you're saying is that Broadway is screwed no matter where he goes.

Well played sir. The thing is, I'm pretty happy wherever I am, but it's the first time I've really thought about moving for the better part of the decade and my family isn't getting younger so just trying to hear of places and cities people have enjoyed moving to. Assuming of course, that many people from the northeast have similar dispositions, which obviously is a very broad assumption. Just really wanted to hear places people have enjoyed and will ultimately balance the program that I'll be attending and the environment etc

Florida, brah.  ;-)

Dont move to Seattle.  That place is absolutely miserable.  You'll like at at first and then realize your surrounded by the weirdest mixture of hippies and hipsters that are ridiculously superficial and think they are better than the rest of the country.  The rain is no joke.  It's all year long, except for the summers, which are amazing.  That said, its gorgeous and it is a cool city...but that stuff wears off really fast.  And you are so far from anything that matters in this world its ridiculous.  Portland wasnt such a stuck up, pretentious city as Seattle...but if suffers the safe climate fate.  Basically, **** the PNW.  I was there a year and 6 months in was dying to get out. 

I lived in So Cal for a little while and being a surfer, it was awesome...but that's the only thing I really liked about the area.  Otherwise, it's crowded and congested (which clear;y you're good with if you prefer the NE), expensive and also very pretentious.  West Coasters are different.  This is a real thing and if you have a NE mentality (which I do even though I was raised in the South) it just doesnt bode well out there.  But if you're going to be a surgeon, you might fit in with the crowd.  With that type of money, the Bay Area is cool as sh*t but not for the every day middle class person.  Again, super congested and Cali sucks...but that area is the most doable IMO.

I'm in Florida for the rest of my life until I build a house somewhere South of the Border (currently looking to buy property in Nicaragua).  But that's because I like the slow paced, laid back life style with year round summers.  Plus, I need the ocean in my life.  Florida gets a bad wrap from the rest of the country but thats just because they dont know and when you dont know, then Florida does indeed suck. 

I think I could do North Carolina but I'll never return to the NE.  Even when I visit my family in NY, I sit there and think to myself....how does anyone do this for their entire life? haha.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess. 

i actually looked into programs in the Jacksonville area after you've said for years how awesome the coast is, but their isn't really a great program there. UF is the best surgery program in the state, and country, but I'm not sure how Gainesville is never having been there. 

I thought he was saying "think like a New Yorker"  I am a miserable **** and I live in DC.  I couldn't imagine going on further south or west.  I might actually love it if there were a beach, but Ocean City <shudder> and Rehoboth are just as far as the Jersey Shore. 

Dewey beach!!!! 

i actually looked into programs in the Jacksonville area after you've said for years how awesome the coast is, but their isn't really a great program there. UF is the best surgery program in the state, and country, but I'm not sure how Gainesville is never having been there. 

I'm surprised UF Shands doesnt have a remote program in Jax.  They have hospitals here in the city. 

Gainesville is a college town.  Not much going on other than the Gators.  Land locked.  About an hour and half from the coast.  Cool little town.  Very artsy and laid back...but it's trapped between miles of cow pastures.  I loved it but that was undergrad.  Perspective and needs change as we get a little older.  haha

Well played sir. The thing is, I'm pretty happy wherever I am, but it's the first time I've really thought about moving for the better part of the decade and my family isn't getting younger so just trying to hear of places and cities people have enjoyed moving to. Assuming of course, that many people from the northeast have similar dispositions, which obviously is a very broad assumption. Just really wanted to hear places people have enjoyed and will ultimately balance the program that I'll be attending and the environment etc

Also, don't listen to sh*t that people are saying about Seattle. You're a stone's throw away from the Cascades, BC, and the rest of the PNW which is without question one of the most beautiful regions on the planet.

Have the ability to drive out to Mt Baker National Forest for the day and then tell me Seattle sucks, ******* jagaloons.

I was just out there. The minimum wage is getting a ramp up I believe. They didn't just ratchet it up to 15 bucks an hour. 

Anyway, I ate in restaurants all weekend and didn't have any issues nor did I hear any of the locals say a peep about it.

So the businesses and restaurants weren't destroyed? Laid to waste? Annihilated to rubble? Obliterated off the face of the earth? DEMOLISHED FROM SOCIETY AS WE KNOW IT??

Also, don't listen to sh*t that people are saying about Seattle. You're a stone's throw away from the Cascades, BC, and the rest of the PNW which is without question one of the most beautiful regions on the planet.

Have the ability to drive out to Mt Baker National Forest for the day and then tell me Seattle sucks, ******* jagaloons.

You clearly didn't have an outside job.

I was doing construction, and they don't stop for the rain.  Nothing would ever get done.  I wanted to shoot myself in the face.

It was nice and green, though.

Grew up on Long Island. Moved to Houston and lived there for 25 years. Summers were a bitch but the Winters were great. Cheap to live as well had a 4,000 sq foot 6 bedroom home built in pool with outdoor Kitchen only to sell it and move to Illinois 3.5 years ago to live in a house half the size and for twice the money.

Work d/town Chicago but commute 40 miles to the west. Once the boy is out of College (debt free I might add) Wife and I will sell home and get an apartment d/town because she is bored to tears out where we are at and wants some sort of life. Really looking towards that. Then will finish my prison sentence off in Illinois and retire in 5 years. After that will probably go where most NYers end up. Florida since that's where most of our family resides.

As for Broadway you would not go wrong moving to Texas. JMHO.

And the best kept secret in florida is living in downtown st pete. Great city, lots of action, no traffic, great beaches everywhere and cheap living

Interesting...was there last summer for a yanks/Rays game.  Had lunch in the small downtown area, drinks after the game.  Seemed very on the rise BUT

still a very small city.    

Moved to the Tampa/St. Pete area last year with the wife. The summer has been long but its now cooling off...I can play golf after work. Things could be worse. The winters up north just wear you down as do the taxes, COL etc. I miss working in the city(especially during the fall) but other than that I can't think of anything I really miss.

Interesting...was there last summer for a yanks/Rays game.  Had lunch in the small downtown area, drinks after the game.  Seemed very on the rise BUT

still a very small city.    

It's definitely getting more buzz. It's a hip little town. 

San Antonio is awesome. You're crazy. 

There  are quite a few of us in NC, I like it here. Wouldn't dream of heading back to NY. Honestly, the only thing I miss is the food. 

My property tax last year was under $1000. That's less than one month for my sister on LI. 

Damn I'm close, I pay $11,750.00 a ******* year in property taxes. For only a 1/2 acre

What is that one craft beer in the silver can that people are camping in the parking lots for in Vermont?  Is it really that good?

Heady Topper. And yes.

They're building a new brewery in Stowe, so hopefully they'll be able to ramp up production a little and increase their delivery radius.  That just means my friend, who has a vacation house in southern VT, will have to only drive an hour to get some instead of two, meaning I might get my hands on it more often than almost never.

The other breweries I mentioned are nothing to sneeze at either if you're into (double) IPA's, though unfortunately, almost equally as difficult to get your hands on. 

They're building a new brewery in Stowe, so hopefully they'll be able to ramp up production a little and increase their delivery radius.  That just means my friend, who has a vacation house in southern VT, will have to only drive an hour to get some instead of two, meaning I might get my hands on it more often than almost never.

The other breweries I mentioned are nothing to sneeze at either if you're into (double) IPA's, though unfortunately, almost equally as difficult to get your hands on. 

Seattle has some great local beers to with Pyramid.  I'm also a fan of Rainiers even if it's their version of Budweiser.

• 1 month later...

Got tired of the winters & the large % of in your face *$$holes ... So moved to ATL suburbs 13 years ago best decision I could have made.  

Weather much better in general ... The % of *$$holes is less ... and many of the people here keep that person secretly inside, lol ... Plus, plenty of NE-ers to relate to

there are a lot of things going on if I desire to go to ... Traffic is legit but just choose where you live/work smartly & that shouldn't be anything unreasonable

Cost of living is basically half of what NY/NJ was

All of Texas is a baking pile of sh*t covered in chain businesses. So come to Texas if you need more Home Depots and Applebees in your life. (This is generally true of most of the south.) Austin is maybe the one exception. It's still ass hot but it is slightly less covered in chain business.

I only half say that as a disincentive to move here. I know quite a few people from NY/NJ who absolutely love it here. I guess if you hated the winters and dreamed of a larger house in a quiet neighborhood then Texas suburbs are your dream.

You would probably get more useful answers as far as where you should move by explaining what you want in your new home.

that's about 88% of why Vermont is on the top of my list and not say.. Montana

I lived in Coeur d'Alene Idaho, not that far from Montana.  That is a really freaking cold place, and I hope you like hunting and fishing, cause that's the biggest thing to do up there.

Coeur d'Alene, gorgeous.  Not as cold, but get a lot of snow.  But again, hunting, fishing, stuff like that.  There's no one to talk sports with at all.  I have a step brother who lives in Vermont.  As he gets older, the winters get a lot harder.

All of Texas is a baking pile of sh*t covered in chain businesses. So come to Texas if you need more Home Depots and Applebees in your life. (This is generally true of most of the south.) Austin is maybe the one exception. It's still ass hot but it is slightly less covered in chain business.

I only half say that as a disincentive to move here. I know quite a few people from NY/NJ who absolutely love it here. I guess if you hated the winters and dreamed of a larger house in a quiet neighborhood then Texas suburbs are your dream.

You would probably get more useful answers as far as where you should move by explaining what you want in your new home.

I like it.  And if you know where to look you can find some good mom pop BBQ type places.

That, and I can use my pool 5 months a year.  And my house costs 1/3 what it does in NJ.  And there are a lot of jobs.  And no state income tax.

I left the Northeast about 6 years ago and have been in Chicago for the past 4. Wife and I love it here and would 100% live here for the rest of our lives if it were not for two things:

1. It's not hype at all. The winters are never-ending, unbearable, and legit depressing. They really take a toll on your well-being. You have no idea what cold is until you have lived here in January and February. This upcoming winter is going to be our last, I don't have anymore in me after that. It gets cold here in November and lasts until almost June. It snowed in May this past year. May!

2. Chicago is a huge, diverse, and amazing city with an endless amount of places to explore, but it is a city within itself. It is literally within the middle of nowhere, unlike for example New York where you have places to go outside of the city. There is nothing around this city save for a quick road trip to Milwaukee or the shores of Lake Michigan. That's it. If you're an outdoors person who likes scenery, good hiking, and climbing...etc, the Chicago area can be a very frustrating place to live in. The hiking in the areas which require no more than a day's drive are flat, monotonous, and way too easy. If you're adventurous, you will almost always have to jump on a plane to go do anything.

If these two things are not a big deal for you, Chicago is the place to be. Fantastic food, great neighborhoods for people of all ages, and a very reasonable cost of living. In the summer I am convinced that it is the best city on the planet. Compared to NY or San Fran you can live here for pretty much less than half of what it costs there. Most importantly the Midwest is one of the best beer regions in the world. The beers you have access to living in Chicago put the New York area to shame.

Chicago is for eskimos. I have only been colder once in my life than in Chicago and that was in Montreal in 1975 - it was 36 BELOW zero with the wind chill and it was pure white - The wind in Chicago in the winter is excruciating.  Makes winter in NY feel like a chilled spring.   

Archived