Moving out the Northeast?

BroadwayJoe12

And the best kept secret in florida is living in downtown st pete. Great city, lots of action, no traffic, great beaches everywhere and cheap living

St. Pete I hear is great! I just moved out of NY - lived there my entire life - all 58 years of it - so sick of the winter weather, traffic, high cost of living, sh*tty jobs I had to deal with, filth and congestion. DONE. I moved to Asheville NC 2 months ago.  Asheville area is beautiful country BUT the rednecks there and hippie hipsters are just to much to put up with.  Rude hippie kids with a Woodstock mentality from the 60's.  So many kids there strung out on drugs but many are now in recovery.  Most are mindless snobs.  And the rednecks there are so racist they make New Yorkers look like ambassadors of the United Nation.  I couldnt wait to get the hell out.   Extreme heat is not my thing so I was also afraid of Florida BUT have visited for work a couple times during winter and the weather was incredible.  I heard S. Florida gets too hot & humid in summer.   I settled for Jax and the weather here is phenomenal.  Still getting to know the place - its slower and I know no one here so its definitely an adjustment.  Leaning on leaving in late spring as I am stuck here until then.    Many people I talk to say its boring here with not much to do.   Gotta agree.  You have the beach and you have the beach and you get the idea.  The coast is nice but the city is so spread out and monotonous.  Strip mall ad infinitum, makes one dizzy.  St. Pete, Clearwater and Tampa are all within striking range of each other with Orlando just a couple hours away. Will investigate Tampa area next coming months.  Being near the water is a must if I stay in Florida.  My dog, having never been to the beach, is in heaven.  We go there almost daily or should I say he makes me go.          

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St. Pete I hear is great! I just moved out of NY - lived there my entire life - all 58 years of it - so sick of the winter weather, traffic, high cost of living, sh*tty jobs I had to deal with, filth and congestion. DONE. I moved to Asheville NC 2 months ago.  Asheville area is beautiful country BUT the rednecks there and hippie hipsters are just to much to put up with.  Rude hippie kids with a Woodstock mentality from the 60's.  So many kids there strung out on drugs but many are now in recovery.  Most are mindless snobs.  And the rednecks there are so racist they make New Yorkers look like ambassadors of the United Nation.  I couldnt wait to get the hell out.   Extreme heat is not my thing so I was also afraid of Florida BUT have visited for work a couple times during winter and the weather was incredible.  I heard S. Florida gets too hot & humid in summer.   I settled for Jax and the weather here is phenomenal.  Still getting to know the place - its slower and I know no one here so its definitely an adjustment.  Leaning on leaving in late spring as I am stuck here until then.    Many people I talk to say its boring here with not much to do.   Gotta agree.  You have the beach and you have the beach and you get the idea.  The coast is nice but the city is so spread out and monotonous.  Strip mall ad infinitum, makes one dizzy.  St. Pete, Clearwater and Tampa are all within striking range of each other with Orlando just a couple hours away. Will investigate Tampa area next coming months.  Being near the water is a must if I stay in Florida.  My dog, having never been to the beach, is in heaven.  We go there almost daily or should I say he makes me go.          

i know this area very very well. trust me when i tell you forget tampa. downtown st pete is where its at. great place.

Also, don't listen to sh*t that people are saying about Seattle. You're a stone's throw away from the Cascades, BC, and the rest of the PNW which is without question one of the most beautiful regions on the planet.

Have the ability to drive out to Mt Baker National Forest for the day and then tell me Seattle sucks, ******* jagaloons.

The Pacific NW is the best part of the country to live in.

Your comments on Asheville, IMO, are spot on.  I Like to visit, would never live there. Sort of a red neck San Francisco pool of liberals.  You should look at Charlotte NC.  Ive been here 20 years, Very upscale, full of people from NE and plenty of jobs etc.  I like the Tampa area as well.

Everything is relative to what you like. I have had the opportunity to live a number of places, and visit A LOT of places.  My personal observations:

-Lived in Atlanta for 3 years in the early 90's. That was the boom period for Atlanta. It is a great town and has a lot going for it. Many transplants from the North east. It is 2 different worlds from inside the perimeter to outside the perimeter. Inner perimeter has its bad spots, but also has a very lively night scene and great restaurants. Get too far outside the perimeter and you are officially in redneck country. Used to have a GREAT cost of living exponent, now it is just good in comparison. No sense of history there-It gets old, they tear it down and rebuild.

-Lived in SoCal for a year. Hated it. You rate limited, because of the problems of travel, to your own circles of cliques. Residents, and transplants, for the most part are materialistic and vapid. That is obviously a great over exaggeration. 

-In contrast, I have been to NoCal a lot and in comparison to SoCal, it is a much better experience. Cost of living, of course comes along with that. All depends on what type of work you do, what you get paid and what your commute is like. 

-In terms of big cities, it is hard to beat Chicago. They actually manage change well in Chicago and they keep the city modern and accessible. The winter's as everyone knows, can be brutal. But it makes spring that much more enjoyable.

-Favorite small city to visit is Portland, Oregon. So much to see, so much to do and the people and lifestyle are agreeable. 

-Could not stand to live in Florida. Too flat, too hot, too many elderly. Pace of life is too slow. JMO

-All that said, I love where we are in SE PA. Couple of hours gets you to beach, to mountains, etc. Great culture with a sense of history. Love all the seasons, and you do not get any natural disasters.

I lived in Coeur d'Alene Idaho, not that far from Montana.  That is a really freaking cold place, and I hope you like hunting and fishing, cause that's the biggest thing to do up there.

Coeur d'Alene, gorgeous.  Not as cold, but get a lot of snow.  But again, hunting, fishing, stuff like that.  There's no one to talk sports with at all.  I have a step brother who lives in Vermont.  As he gets older, the winters get a lot harder.

There's no one to talk sports with at all?  But you hunt and fish there don't you? If you didn't kill the animals think of all the ones you'd have to talk to....You have the Bears, The Ducks, The Broncos, The Dolphins, The Bills, The Bengals, The Ravens, The Tigers, The Orioles, The Rays, The Colts, The Jaguars, The Eagles, The Lions, The Panthers, The  Hawks, The Falcons, The Cardinals, The Seahawks, The Blue Jays, The Cubs, The Marlins, The Diamondbacks, The Bulls, The Raptors, The Hornets, The Mavs, The Grizzlies, The Timberwolves, The Panthers, The Penguins, The Blackhawks, The Sharks.

I mean cmon man get with the program.

There's no one to talk sports with at all?  But you hunt and fish there don't you? If you didn't kill the animals think of all the ones you'd have to talk to....You have the Bears, The Ducks, The Broncos, The Dolphins, The Bills, The Bengals, The Ravens, The Tigers, The Orioles, The Rays, The Colts, The Jaguars, The Eagles, The Lions, The Panthers, The  Hawks, The Falcons, The Cardinals, The Seahawks, The Blue Jays, The Cubs, The Marlins, The Diamondbacks, The Bulls, The Raptors, The Hornets, The Mavs, The Grizzlies, The Timberwolves, The Panthers, The Penguins, The Blackhawks, The Sharks.

I mean cmon man get with the program.

I go watch games on a Sunday.  They kill Bambi.  Which is cool, Bambi is good. 

Who here has successfully moved out of the northeast and found a place they prefer? I could see myself digging Chicago, parts of Cali and maybe bend Oregon or Seattle, but i don't know where else I could tolerate for more than a short stay. I have to move for  surgical residency, which is at least five years long and I've been down in San antonio for five days now and I was over it after 48 hours. The guys want to take me to a turtle race. Like actual ******* turtles. (I still plan on witnessing this) I'm not sure being a NY guy born and raised and Boston for undergrad that I could handle the pace or culture of Texas or some of these southern states. Maybe in retirement. Just curious if anyone has moved from the northeast in their 20s and 30s and preferred it. 

The newly minted Fiancee just finished her residency in Roanoke, VA. I had a great time when I visited, but going for one weekend at a time can always be fun. They've got a nice little resident city in the middle of a valley of mountains, and there's a lot to do within a 60 mile radius in terms of outdoorsy stuff - so it's a relatively nice mixture. Coming from Boston, it took her a while to adjust to the significantly slower and relatively 'boring' lifestyles down there, but once she assimilated into the program and culture, she absolutely loved it.

She's been back up here since July, and the way she still talks about that area, the lifestyle, the weather, the lack of traffic, etc....you'd think she was born and raised there.

I guess the whole point of that was to say, I'm sure wherever you end up, you'll enjoy it once you're a part of it. Still, it makes sense to do your due diligence and figure out what you prioritize in a lifestyle.

Personally, this thread has been awesome because the soon-to-be misses and I are trying to figure out where we want to settle post marriage. This thread has given me lots of new ideas and helped flesh out some of my previous ideas. Between me in Finance and her in Med, things are already convoluted enough - I need a metropolis to effectively maximize my earning potential while she needs a suburb due to her profession. DC area, NC, Texas, Colorado, and the warm parts of California are all in the mix, but I also love everything about the northeast except for the taxes and the bitter cold. Take the weather of January and February away and cut taxes/cost of living by 3/8ths or more, and I'd never leave CT/Manhattan. 

Who here has successfully moved out of the northeast and found a place they prefer? I could see myself digging Chicago, parts of Cali and maybe bend Oregon or Seattle, but i don't know where else I could tolerate for more than a short stay. I have to move for  surgical residency, which is at least five years long and I've been down in San antonio for five days now and I was over it after 48 hours. The guys want to take me to a turtle race. Like actual ******* turtles. (I still plan on witnessing this) I'm not sure being a NY guy born and raised and Boston for undergrad that I could handle the pace or culture of Texas or some of these southern states. Maybe in retirement. Just curious if anyone has moved from the northeast in their 20s and 30s and preferred it. 

San Antonio is awesome...although we are quite different in age....try this...

http://www.findyourspot.com/

Your comments on Asheville, IMO, are spot on.  I Like to visit, would never live there. Sort of a red neck San Francisco pool of liberals.  You should look at Charlotte NC.  Ive been here 20 years, Very upscale, full of people from NE and plenty of jobs etc.  I like the Tampa area as well.

Yeah, but the beer. Oh the beer.

Lexington Ave Brewery is a favorite spot of mine.

Just moved to asheville from charleston sc in july.  its different but i like it a lot. miss the beach, but tons of places to go hiking, rafting, etc. and the breweries are so good. highwire prolly my fav beer. the sierra nevada brewery is incredible, lots of fun.  also great music scene if your into that. if anyone visits during nfl season hit me up we can catch a jet game. 

Also charlotte is very cool. went there a few weeks ago for a comedy show. enjoyed the downtown scene.

Just moved to asheville from charleston sc in july.  its different but i like it a lot. miss the beach, but tons of places to go hiking, rafting, etc. and the breweries are so good. highwire prolly my fav beer. the sierra nevada brewery is incredible, lots of fun.  also great music scene if your into that. if anyone visits during nfl season hit me up we can catch a jet game. 

Also charlotte is very cool. went there a few weeks ago for a comedy show. enjoyed the downtown scene.

check us out...charlottejetsfans.com  on FB as well.

Archived