The storm this weekend

Maxman

I have been working too much and I haven't watched the weather channel. But everyone is saying the weather will be really bad this weekend.

What do I need to know?

Mods, sorry I know this isn't the right forum. Thanks for letting this one go.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's supposed to hit NC and Virginia hardest.  The Eagles-Redskins game might get moved to Week 8 as a result, since both teams have scheduled byes that week.

I live in NC so I'll be doing my hurricane grocery shopping this afternoon.  Usually the bread and milk is basically all gone if you don't get that done a day early, lol.

It's supposed to hit NC and Virginia hardest.  The Eagles-Redskins game might get moved to Week 8 as a result, since both teams have scheduled byes that week.

I live in NC so I'll be doing my hurricane grocery shopping this afternoon.  Usually the bread and milk is basically all gone if you don't get that done a day early, lol.

If you have a well, don't forget to fill up the bathtub with water for the crapper.

I always feel a little guilty that when these storms are tracking you guys, that they send us perfect surf and I'm foaming at the mouth to get in the water.  I'm praying for storms and then they devastate some part of the coast and it makes me feel bad about how much joy the storm brought me.

But, I mean, come'on...look at this perfection its bringing us!

IMG_8920-612x415.jpg

I managed to break my upper arm body-surfing last month in some tasty waves out east.  So I'm out for this storm but with you in spirit. 

At least it's a cooler story than 'my teammate punched me in the jaw because I'm a cheap-ass punk'.

I always feel a little guilty that when these storms are tracking you guys, that they send us perfect surf and I'm foaming at the mouth to get in the water.  I'm praying for storms and then they devastate some part of the coast and it makes me feel bad about how much joy the storm brought me.

IMG_8920-612x415.jpg

Hey I can't begrudge you that.  We're used to storms in NC.  It's part of the lifestyle.  I certainly prefer them to more "random" natural disasters like tornadoes and earthquakes. 

At least with hurricanes you know they're coming and plan accordingly.  And mostly, they end up just passing by with a nice heavy dose of rain.  It creates a perfect excuse to have a "hurricane party".  If they're more serious, I've got family in Raleigh I can drive to 2 hours away.

Let's just hope it brings Point Break level waves. I'm ready.

Oh it will...

I managed to break my upper arm body-surfing last month in some tasty waves out east.  So I'm out for this storm but with you in spirit. 

At least it's a cooler story than 'my teammate punched me in the jaw because I'm a cheap-ass punk'.

How?  That's intense.  

They already moved my sons high school game from Friday to tonight and it looks dicey for tonight at best.

Most models seem to be leaning towards the European model, and moving the storm further east. Last I saw was a landfall on eastern Long Island, and the metiorologist reporting it said to expect future models to continue moving it out to sea. 

Most models seem to be leaning towards the European model, and moving the storm further east. Last I saw was a landfall on eastern Long Island, and the metiorologist reporting it said to expect future models to continue moving it out to sea. 

Good news, thanks!

NFL seems to be trusting the European projections too.  Eagles-Redskins game is going to be played as scheduled:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25324126/redskins-eagles-to-be-played-on-sunday-wont-be-postponed

The NFL had considered postponing this weekend's Eagles-Redskins game due to Hurricane Joaquin, but the game won't be moved and the two teams will play as scheduled Sunday at FedEx Field in Landover, Md.

CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora has reported that both teams have been notified of the NFL's decision to keep the game in Week 4.

Oh it will...

How?  That's intense.  

First of all I've been riding waves on boogie boards and body surfing for 40 years.  I've been tossed a few times really hard, but this was unique.  I was riding them all the way in until I scraped on the sand, which was, in retrospect, probably not super smart.  I must have gotten caught from behind by a second wave close to shore on that fateful last ride because my legs got lifted up and I was flipped into the air facing head down about two feet over the sand with basically no water underneath me.  Mind you these weren't classic shore breaks.  I was probably in about two feet of water at the time, fairly smooth and then it just threw me with no warning.

Anyway, having been down this road before, I locked my arms over my head to protect my neck and when I hit, the force of my weight all went to the humerus bones on both arms between my elbows and shoulders (if you have any thoughts of trying to protect yourself by landing on your palms...forget it).  Unfortunately, not being 25 any more, the left one broke.  I knew I did something bad but wasn't sure exactly what until I got to the ER.  Really painful injury but overall, given that my neck was completely fine, and in fact I had no damage to any soft tissue or other bones, I'm not complaining too much.

Despite that, I will be out again as soon as I can (next summer unfortunately).  I might have to adapt my methods a bit though.

IMG_8920-612x415.jpg

+1 for the gnarly factor.

Hopefully you're well stocked on food.  Stay safe!

Bread,eggs and milk-of course . 

Looks like it's going way east-good.

And having gone through Sandy, top off all your gas tanks. Not entirely convinced there was any real shortage as much as the oil companies invented it on purpose.

The storm has tricked a bunch of mets in the area and regional mets, but not me. The storm is being steered presently by a high pressure ne of the storm. Global models break down the high in the next 24 - 36 hours and bring in a Upper low to form a big weakness to the east of the storm. An escape route is likely and while it will hit Bermuda, no other impacts expected.

Sun - Tuesday will be great weather so enjoy it.  Bermuda should be impacted Monday morning.

Archived