The storm this weekend

Maxman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks cookie. I didn't go out and buy milk and eggs waiting for your report. Good to know I don't need to stock up.

Milk, eggs, & bread! Everyone knows, the most important meal in a hurricane is French toast. 

I tried buying a generator this week. Nothing major but just something to keep the fridge and living room TV on (I mean, what else is there?)

Anyhow I went Wed night and they were sold out. Same today.

Kind of glad they were, but having one for emergencies would be cool. Maybe I will buy one on Monday when everyone returns them. Open box special.

I tried buying a generator this week. Nothing major but just something to keep the fridge and living room TV on (I mean, what else is there?)

Kind of glad they were, but having one for emergencies would be cool. Maybe I will buy one on Monday when everyone returns them. Open box special.

I sure do hope that JetNation world headquarters doesnt get flooded again :)

First of all I've been riding waves on boogie boards and body surfing for 40 years.  I've been tossed a few times really hard, but this was unique.  I was riding them all the way in until I scraped on the sand, which was, in retrospect, probably not super smart.  I must have gotten caught from behind by a second wave close to shore on that fateful last ride because my legs got lifted up and I was flipped into the air facing head down about two feet over the sand with basically no water underneath me.  Mind you these weren't classic shore breaks.  I was probably in about two feet of water at the time, fairly smooth and then it just threw me with no warning.

Anyway, having been down this road before, I locked my arms over my head to protect my neck and when I hit, the force of my weight all went to the humerus bones on both arms between my elbows and shoulders (if you have any thoughts of trying to protect yourself by landing on your palms...forget it).  Unfortunately, not being 25 any more, the left one broke.  I knew I did something bad but wasn't sure exactly what until I got to the ER.  Really painful injury but overall, given that my neck was completely fine, and in fact I had no damage to any soft tissue or other bones, I'm not complaining too much.

Despite that, I will be out again as soon as I can (next summer unfortunately).  I might have to adapt my methods a bit though.

Sign me up

Beer Max, beer. That's all you need ... oh, and maybe a cooler filled with ice. Other than that, just wait for the Red Cross to come thru your neighborhood with the mobile soup kitchen and you'll be getting 3 hots and some tasty MRE's!!

First of all I've been riding waves on boogie boards and body surfing for 40 years.  I've been tossed a few times really hard, but this was unique.  I was riding them all the way in until I scraped on the sand, which was, in retrospect, probably not super smart.  I must have gotten caught from behind by a second wave close to shore on that fateful last ride because my legs got lifted up and I was flipped into the air facing head down about two feet over the sand with basically no water underneath me.  Mind you these weren't classic shore breaks.  I was probably in about two feet of water at the time, fairly smooth and then it just threw me with no warning.
Anyway, having been down this road before, I locked my arms over my head to protect my neck and when I hit, the force of my weight all went to the humerus bones on both arms between my elbows and shoulders (if you have any thoughts of trying to protect yourself by landing on your palms...forget it).  Unfortunately, not being 25 any more, the left one broke.  I knew I did something bad but wasn't sure exactly what until I got to the ER.  Really painful injury but overall, given that my neck was completely fine, and in fact I had no damage to any soft tissue or other bones, I'm not complaining too much.

Despite that, I will be out again as soon as I can (next summer unfortunately).  I might have to adapt my methods a bit though.

I was riding them with my Dad out on Beach L (between Tiana and Ponquogue) on Labor Day. He's 71.  It's depressing, but we have really had to adjust to aging and in particular you can't really go out when nobody is with you anymore.  He has gone to the beach every day from late June through September since the 60's.  Unfortunately, I no longer have summers off. :(

Damn...you are lucky you didnt break your neck.  

This place you were at reminds of a spot just south of my called Villano Beach, its just north of St. Augustine and its a really close to shore, hollow, pound wave.  Skimmers, boogies and body surfers love it.  It's critical though.  Breaks on about 2 feet of water.  When everything comes together, the barrells are wider than the waves are tall. 

I was riding them with my Dad out on Beach L (between Tiana and Ponquogue) on Labor Day. He's 71.  It's depressing, but we have really had to adjust to aging and in particular you can't really go out when nobody is with you anymore.  He has gone to the beach every day from late June through September since the 60's.  Unfortunately, I no longer have summers off. :(

I'm not ready to adjust for age yet (just 50) but I can see the writing far off in the distance.  Now I'm way more depressed...

Damn...you are lucky you didnt break your neck.  

This place you were at reminds of a spot just south of my called Villano Beach, its just north of St. Augustine and its a really close to shore, hollow, pound wave.  Skimmers, boogies and body surfers love it.  It's critical though.  Breaks on about 2 feet of water.  When everything comes together, the barrells are wider than the waves are tall. 

Yes I am although I've played out the scenario in my head enough that instinct kicked in.  Yes, this beach (Cupsogue) in Westhampton at the end just across from Fire Island, has some really nice waves that almost nobody takes advantage of as they all wallow in the sand under umbrellas.  I never could understand why anyone would go the beach and not go in the water.  It's like going to a strip club and sitting at the bar. 

Phil, I know last time you were organizing people to help out with damage from Hurricane Sandy in the Middletown, NJ area. I know this storm is nowhere near that level, but if there is anyone that has damage in or around that area and needs help cleaning up please let me know. I live right up by there now.

Phil, I know last time you were organizing people to help out with damage from Hurricane Sandy in the Middletown, NJ area. I know this storm is nowhere near that level, but if there is anyone that has damage in or around that area and needs help cleaning up please let me know. I live right up by there now.

Saw a video of Sea Isle, NJ this AM.

The water is already being pushed into the streets and Joaquin is not even close to us yet.

Archived