England definitely wants a permanent team in the NFL

faba

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the whole idea. 

But...If they are going to do it they should just make their own team. Add one in another market to make it even and call it a day. Maybe LA. Why steal the second NFL team from the poor St. Louis fans. Losing your home team has to suck more than anything. I would hate it if it ends up being the Jets, even though I don't see it happening with the Jets being in NY. 

The LA prostitutes and the London plague.  

I hate the whole idea. 

But...If they are going to do it they should just make their own team. Add one in another market to make it even and call it a day. Maybe LA. Why steal the second NFL team from the poor St. Louis fans. Losing your home team has to suck more than anything. I would hate it if it ends up being the Jets, even though I don't see it happening with the Jets being in NY. 

The LA prostitutes and the London plague.  

they eventually want to move the jags or Phins to London.  It won't be the jets

The only way to make the move 'fair' is to have the UK team with a higher cap #. Other owners will scream bloody murder. 

As said already, travel will be a nightmare. And culturally  a lot of players won't want to go there.

I agree with resurrecting NFLE but I also really like the whole promotion/Relegation rules in European soccer.  It keeps franchises on their toes.

If you finish last you are relegated to the minor leagues and the top team from that division comes up next season.

It punishes teams for being bad

Relegation is the best answer. All 4 leagues have way too many teams and way too many sub par athletes.

Just watch the QB play for 10 minutes on Red Zone for an example. 

they eventually want to move the jags or Phins to London.  It won't be the jets

It would suck if it was Miami, that would be a London game for the Jets every year. I'm rooting for the Jags to get it. 

How on earth would they go about doing this?

They can't possibly be traveling back and forth between countries every week. That's insane. They would need some kind of base back here in the States. Not to mention the fans, i'd guess frequent international travel isn't something that would appeal to the diehards.

Having a franchise in Mexico or Canada would make more sense than having one in London.

I can't see this being realistic.  If you wanted to do something good make the NFL season 18 weeks and 17 games and play a game in London 16 of those 17 games.  This way every team has a game in London every year and no one loses a home game.  NFL makes money and every team is stuck in the same situation at some point during the season.

It's about a 6 hour flight from NY to London, but that's the kind of example people use when they bring this up all the time. You have to think about the fact that at some point teams from Chicago, Kansas City, Denver and even Seattle will have to fly out there and that's brutal.

They would probably have to do their schedule in 4 game blocks (4 home, 4 away, 4 home, 4 away). This is a bigger deal than it sounds like it is. It means a whole lot of juggling the other teams around to fit it. It also means that one team gets to play with a different kind of schedule than virtually any other team in the league. Not sure if it would be a pro or a con for that team, but it's like playing by different rules and that's a problem.

What are the chances that an American-born kid is going to re-sign with London, or sign with them in free agency? What are the chances that an American-born kid will choose not to sign after being drafted?

Having a business is about maintaining your business AND growing it. Sometimes the NFL acts like it is *just* about the latter.

I think they will have a team there eventually.

There are companies working on an aircraft that can fly NY to London in two hours. Expected to be in commercial production by 2030.

Until then, I don't see it happening. Imagine if the London team made the playoffs. You could have a team playing in London one week and LA the next.

They will, however, have a Super Bowl in London, possibly by 2020.

The players would also have to pay American taxes too, no? Any CPAs here?

I think they'd pay US taxes on the money they earn playing here and UK taxes on the games played there.

Also, there can be som big currency swings between the dollar and the pound. That would wreak havoc with the salary cap.

I'm sure Woody is going to walk away from his half of Met Life at a cost of $800 million and move his team away from the largest and best metropolitan area in the NFL.  

For God's sake, just try to think before posting!  It's really not all that tough.

IF cant you read!!!!!!

I vote they take the jets, I will save a sh*tload of money.

I hear you bro. Outside of the 2 hour ride to Düsseldorf Im just a 45 minute flight away from Gatwick. 

England seems to support the NFL pretty heavy. I was actually in London about 3 weeks ago for the first time and I seen a few Dolphin Jerseys out there. Granted, it wasnt too far away from tomorrow's game but for the fact that I even seen them lets me know that an NFL team in London could possibly work. 

I think they'd pay US taxes on the money they earn playing here and UK taxes on the games played there.

Also, there can be som big currency swings between the dollar and the pound. That would wreak havoc with the salary cap.

Definitely. I know in the States you have to pay in every state you play a gae in. 

It's a terrible idea, but the NFL is such a glutton that they will go through with it anyway. 

My fear is that they will tear apart the AFC East to get this done. They will move Miami to the AFC South, and then put the London Jaguars in the AFC East. As a group of 3 in a division, NYJ, BUF, and NE would have the shortest flights to London so the NFL will make our division suffer for London's sake. It's logistically the sensible move, I hate the idea, but I think this is what is going to happen.

The players would also have to pay American taxes too, no? Any CPAs here?

Yeah, saw an article that the USA is one of only three or four countries who's citizens have to pay income tax to their country of nationality, irrespective of where they live. So London based American players would be paying US as well as UK income tax.

They HAD their chance with the World League & the London Monarchs. They blew their opportunity in the early 90's.

what they SHOULD do is have an English fan online vote in which they get to select ONE (1) current NFL team and that team would then officially represent both it's native city and adopted British sons. Team plays 2 games abroad and native city gets charged 2 less games & 5000 STH get lottery to be charted BY TEAM to London games.

IF cant you read!!!!!!

Of course I can read.  I read an absolutely dumb and absurd hypothetical, one which defies common sense and any semblance of rational thought.  Why do you post up absurd hypotheticals that neither make sense nor have the slightest chance to actually happen, and then ask how people would react?  Woody is NOT going to leave the the largest and most lucrative metropolitan area that hosts NFL football and is not going to walk away from his cash cow of half a $16 billion stadium as well as an immensely expensive state-of-the-art training facility that is practically brand new.  So your entire post is pointless and useless.  You seem to have a passion for the ridiculous.  

It's a terrible idea, but the NFL is such a glutton that they will go through with it anyway. 

My fear is that they will tear apart the AFC East to get this done. They will move Miami to the AFC South, and then put the London Jaguars in the AFC East. As a group of 3 in a division, NYJ, BUF, and NE would have the shortest flights to London so the NFL will make our division suffer for London's sake. It's logistically the sensible move, I hate the idea, but I think this is what is going to happen.

Na, I dont think its as terrible as you're making it out to be. For fans it will be great. Football will LITERALLY be all day Sunday starting at 9:30am. Visiting teams will have to make one trip over the pond a year. That's no big deal. Even with the London's team away games you can always create a friendly schedule giving them back to back games in their division every year (away games) as well as setting up 1 three game away game schedule. There will be one month per season that their fans will only have 1 home game but they will have one month where they team has 3 home games. And I dont think the England fans will ever mind, they currently have no home football team. 

It's most definitely doable and football Sunday's will start 4 hours earlier. I dont see a thing wrong with that as a fan. 

You make a compelling argument, but I just don't see it. When they most recently realigned the league, it would've made more geographic sense to move Dallas and Miami to the South divisions, Baltimore and Carolina to the East, etc., but they didn't want to break up traditional rivalries. Miami -the team I dislike more than any other in the league- has a rich history in the league, and strong rivalries with every team in the division. They're not going to move them out of the AFC East. 

Meanwhile, the AFC South is the land of misfit toys. Two recent expansion teams, and two teams that far away from their original cities (one more notoriously than the other). Plus, the Jaguars are practically lobbying to be the London franchise. They'll screw with that division. It's basically the slum of the NFL. 

They HAD their chance with the World League & the London Monarchs. They blew their opportunity in the early 90's.

what they SHOULD do is have an English fan online vote in which they get to select ONE (1) current NFL team and that team would then officially represent both it's native city and adopted British sons. Team plays 2 games abroad and native city gets charged 2 less games & 5000 STH get lottery to be charted BY TEAM to London games.

5k fans flying paid for by the team???  You smoking something good :-)

I hear you bro. Outside of the 2 hour ride to Düsseldorf Im just a 45 minute flight away from Gatwick. 

England seems to support the NFL pretty heavy. I was actually in London about 3 weeks ago for the first time and I seen a few Dolphin Jerseys out there. Granted, it wasnt too far away from tomorrow's game but for the fact that I even seen them lets me know that an NFL team in London could possibly work. 

u didn't get what i was saying. i have season tix and by them moving to london i wouldn't thus saving me $$

I agree with resurrecting NFLE but I also really like the whole promotion/Relegation rules in European soccer.  It keeps franchises on their toes.

If you finish last you are relegated to the minor leagues and the top team from that division comes up next season.

It punishes teams for being bad

Yeah but the NFL has the draft and free agency to turn things around in 1 year, take a look at the 2015 Jets, one of the worst teams last year, to one of the better ones this year.

Archived