QB

Section 333

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he was goated into that response, c'mon now, your as good as Cimini, taking people's words out of context to bolster your viewpoints. 

He was goaded into nothing and, in fact, his disturbing outburst is just more evidence that Jet fans that crave Geno have mental health issues. 

He absolutely was named the starter.  The offensive  coordinator went out of his way to say he expects Geno to start week 1.  Look, I want the change to happen, but even I understand the chances of it happening while we're 3-1 are slim to none. I do think Fitzpatrick's leash is pretty short though. 

Shorter, anyway. It's funny the way people describe Fitzpatrick as so much better than Geno when right now, after a hot start, Fitz's stats on the season are no better than Geno's were last year. And Geno didn't have the benefit of Brandon Marshall or an NFL caliber defense (let alone one some national pundits are calling maybe the league's best). Pretty sure I read in one of Kelly's articles that four of Fitz's TD drives were less than 30 yards. Geno probably didn't have that many fields that short all of last season. 

Now, there's no doubt that Fitz is doing some things "smarter" than Geno has done in the past. He doesn't run backwards from pressure (and has made a few impressive plays with his feet). But he does have six interceptions in four games, and he's fortunate that he doesn't have more. His demeanor is lightyears ahead of what we've seen from Geno, whose sulking is hard to watch. His arm strength is what it is. 

The coaches are watching both players in practice, and should have a good idea of what they have in both of them. It would be next to impossible to replace Fitz at 3-1, but he hasn't played well enough to date to have a stranglehold on the job, either. If Geno is outperforming Fitz in practice, then Fitz's leash should be short. 

Also, I had to hide few posts in this thread.

As a general rule, if you feel you're being personally attacked, try de-escalating the situation rather than escalating it. 

We do not like the Geno-lover/Fitz-fluffer name-calling and antagonism as a whole on the site. We recognize that opinions about the Jets' QB differ, and that feelings are strong, but try to make the case regarding your opinion without calling out everyone who may disagree with you. If all you have to offer is an insult to another member -or the other half of the site- don't offer it on the board. 

Thanks. 

I'm not saying he has to be switched out. Bowles has seen both and Bowles will make that decision. He surely will see every clip of every play that didn't go as planned, particularly with 2 weeks to go before our next game. If the players aren't grumbling about him missing easy plays every week, and particularly if the locker room as a whole would let out a collective groan if he were to make such a switch, then it's a no-brainer he should (and will) stick with Fitzpatrick. Geno's handicap is not just some boneheaded play (which I can forgive any young player during seasons when we had no real chance anyway); it's that he's a douchebag who does not exude leadership nor does he command respect of his peers.

So I agree that until such time as Fitzpatrick's incompetence has squarely cost multiple games, and Smith has given him some legitimate reason to think he will be a noticeable improvement, then it's folly to rock the boat. They're in a good spot at 3-1 and the last thing he needs is a giant chunk - or the majority - of the locker room hearing about such a decision now and giving a collective "WTF???" Unless (like I said above) he knows something about the locker room that we don't, and that leads to a change.

Seems unlikely that the locker room is generally a downbeat one sitting at 3-1. Even with Fitzpatrick's lousy play, in the head coach's position I'm sure I wouldn't rock the boat either.

I would imagine that Brandon Marshall would pipe up.  Maybe he has.  I would like to think they would do it behind the scenes and not to the press, but Marshall doesn't seem shy about loving/hating QBs.

Fitz is the starting qb.  Why is this so hard to understand?  We would be 2-2 with geno right now and both loses would be directly from his boneheadd mistakes.

we are 3-1 right now and the only reason we lost the eagles game was because of the defense.  Fitz is making enough throws and is not losing games.  Hes the guy.  Why do we have this same thread every week?

Hmm maybe no Decker and Ivory also helped??

I would imagine that Brandon Marshall would pipe up.  Maybe he has.  I would like to think they would do it behind the scenes and not to the press, but Marshall doesn't seem shy about loving/hating QBs.

Hard to imagine Marshall is upset about getting fed the rock game after game.  He was becoming 2nd fiddle to Alshon Jeffery in Chicago before arriving here.  Now he's back to being the true WR1.  Until that changes my guess is he likes Fitzy just fine.  We would have already heard from him if he wasn't happy, after spending so much time being buddies with Geno in the offseason.

Here's the thing, nobody thinks Fitz is great. Furthermore he will make a stupid head scratching play once a game. That is undeniable .

But, all the evidence we have on Geno thus far is he will make at least one head scratcher of a play per game. Sometimes one, sometimes 5. And up to this point we have zero evidence that would change. It could, but you're risking the season on that.

As for Fitz chucking up prayers, he mostly does that to Brandon Marshall, who happens to be a guy that can answer that prayer via a catch or a PI call far more often than most receivers. That makes it a viable play. Matt Stafford made a career of that with Megatron up to now,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I had to hide few posts in this thread.

As a general rule, if you feel you're being personally attacked, try de-escalating the situation rather than escalating it. 

We do not like the Geno-lover/Fitz-fluffer name-calling and antagonism as a whole on the site. We recognize that opinions about the Jets' QB differ, and that feelings are strong, but try to make the case regarding your opinion without calling out everyone who may disagree with you. If all you have to offer is an insult to another member -or the other half of the site- don't offer it on the board. 

Thanks. 

Only a Geno lover would take this position.  ?

Fitz is nothing special but hes had a few key TD drives in moment where we needed them. Its not like we have Aaron Rodgers on the bench or something. Its Geno Smith. Can't make a change at 3-1 but if it gets worse Ill trust Bowles makes the right decision. 

why is the backup QB always the most popular guy on the Jets offense?   

This has been like a 20-year debate - foley, nagel, lucas, Vinny, Chadwick, clemens, chadwick, bollywood, chadwick, sanchez, mcelroy, simms.  

Don't forget Matt Robinson.

Archived