Rex Ryan thread, week 4 edition

Bruce Harper

T-Mobile is special right now.  However,  it doesn't matter because Mc Coy,  Watkins and now Karlos Williams are all out due to injuries.  Our season may have just ended.  Really sad  :(

Trent Richardson in for a tryout- now that is sad.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@jeaniec what's your opinion on how the Bills are playing this year as compared to last year?

In the 2 games where we showed discipline,  couldn't have asked for better games. I thought we did a much better job (than last year); especially on the offense.   As it stands right now,  we are in tough shape with Mc Coy,  Watkins and now Karlos Williams with a concussion all being out. Today we signed RB Dan Herron, formerly of the Colts.  Not real excited about this move but we are becoming desperate for RB's and don't know when any of our  guys will be back.  Dan Carpenter,  who rarely missed a field goal (last year)  has really been off this year.  If there was anything good that came out of the game against the Giants, it's that the message that we need better discipline came across loud and clear.  There's no doubt that Coughlin "knew" how to beat us by hitting on our men,  getting them ticked off and causing penalties.  Now that the word is out there,  we can plan on other teams hitting after the whistle.  Finally,  I think there's something going  on with the refs this year and their excessive penalty calls.  I know that Buffalo earned quite a few of the penalties but not all.  Then,  I saw the disgrace in the game with the Lions vs Seahawks.  I don't know if the following comment is true but I'd be willing to bet these guys are hitting Fanduel.  It's going to be a tough year for many.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12105960_10207814166057440_3786181213584181738_n.jpg?oh=e3f05ddda431f3f7ee6f8efe7278961e&oe=568F3448

Speaking of penalties,  this article shows that the Jets are high on the list with 336 penalty yards this season.

http://www.wgr550.com/Rex-We-re-trying-to-get-penalties-fixed-/22035481

jets have to clean up the penalties for sure.  they have 3 guys in the secondary with reputations for holding and grabbing (revis, cro, skrine) and the crew last week was calling it close.   The thing is I have never felt like the jets were out of control this year.  The bills looked like drunken frat boys against the giants

jets have to clean up the penalties for sure.  they have 3 guys in the secondary with reputations for holding and grabbing (revis, cro, skrine) and the crew last week was calling it close.   The thing is I have never felt like the jets were out of control this year.  The bills looked like drunken frat boys against the giants

Larz:  Above and beyond what happened  in the Bills vs Giants on Sunday lies the penalties called in Lions vs Seahawks.  There is something really strange going on with the refs this year in my opinion. I don't recall penalties being this high in previous seasons.   I think the entire league has to be careful; especially the teams that the refs don't like.   

Larz:  Above and beyond what happened  in the Bills vs Giants on Sunday lies the penalties called in Lions vs Seahawks.  There is something really strange going on with the refs this year in my opinion. I don't recall penalties being this high in previous seasons.   I think the entire league has to be careful; especially the teams that the refs don't like.   

Hence the reason why your HC has to be a little lower key on saying he is going after folks....

Hence the reason why your HC has to be a little lower key on saying he is going after folks....

Agree Charlie.  I haven't heard him go after any particular team in particular but I've heard words like teams are going to be afraid to play us.  

Hey that sounds like an original idea.  I'm sure it will work!!!  Here's a story about

another issue that always plagued the Jets:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/06/new-issues-crop-up-for-bills-defense/

Sounds so familiar. Still talking like a DC rather than an HC, doesn't grasp teams have figured out speeding up stops defenses from reacting quickly, wears out the front 7. DUH. 

I don't know too much about Richardson and the fans over at Bills Mafia have mixed reviews.  None of the reviews are great.

he might be one of the wrst rbs ive ever seen play. Call him "struggle cuts." He has no vision,no speed,no grit. Ive never seen a rb who consistently misses wide open holes to run into crowded areas like him.

he might be one of the wrst rbs ive ever seen play. Call him "struggle cuts." He has no vision,no speed,no grit. Ive never seen a rb who consistently misses wide open holes to run into crowded areas like him.

It really is amazing at how terrible he has been in the NFL.  His college game was solid if not really good nothing indicate he would be this much of an utter flop.

He tried the push-ups thing over here too. I found it amusing for 2 reasons:

1. 10 push-ups is nothing for an NFL athlete. Heck, i'll bang out 10 push-ups without breaking a sweat (i know i'm pretty jacked, but still). Just doesn't seem like a severe punishment. Running laps would be more challenging.

2. He is showing what a sh*tty coach he is by not addressing the problem. A good coach would resort to film study and make some technical adjustments, Rex will get them hyped up and then have them doing push-ups all day.

He tried the push-ups thing over here too. I found it amusing for 2 reasons:

1. 10 push-ups is nothing for an NFL athlete. Heck, i'll bang out 10 push-ups without breaking a sweat (i know i'm pretty jacked, but still). Just doesn't seem like a severe punishment. Running laps would be more challenging.

2. He is showing what a sh*tty coach he is by not addressing the problem. A good coach would resort to film study and make some technical adjustments, Rex will get them hyped up and then have them doing push-ups all day.

Pictures please, or take a lap.

We are loud.  Have no doubt it's difficult to hear plays in our stadium

Thatta a girl...Take the blame just like Rexy boy wants you to.

It can't be the Head Coach's fault for STILL not figuring out how to deal with a hurry up offense AT HOME after being burned by it for 6 years with the Jets. Rex does not seem to learn much from past experience, thats probably his biggest flaw.

It can't be the Head Coach's fault for STILL not figuring out how to deal with a hurry up offense AT HOME after being burned by it for 6 years with the Jets. Rex does not seem to learn much from past experience, thats probably his biggest flaw.

No,  you are right about the hurry up defense.  We need to get better at that.  However,  there is no doubt that plays would be hard to read at our stadium.  

No,  you are right about the hurry up defense.  We need to get better at that.  However,  there is no doubt that plays would be hard to read at our stadium.  

When the home crowd is amped up and screaming for a defensive series, it is deafening and that happens in all NFL stadiums not just yours....Its a defense's best friend...Why are the visiting Giants and Patriots offenses dealing with it better than Rex's Dee?

Just a guess...Better coaching.

When the home crowd is amped up and screaming for a defensive series, it is deafening and that happens in all NFL stadiums not just yours....Its a defense's best friend...Why are the visiting Giants and Patriots offenses dealing with it better than Rex's Dee?

Just a guess...Better coaching.

Maybe some merit to what you're saying.  I know our d-line is trying to adjust to Rex's 3-4 defense.  The 4-3 worked for our players - if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Maybe some merit to what you're saying.  I know our d-line is trying to adjust to Rex's 3-4 defense.  The 4-3 worked for our players - if it's not broke, don't fix it.

That way there Rex can take all the credit just like his Daddy did in Chicago.

The apple never falls far from the tree.

His biggest flaw is crippling insecurity. Every problem he has eminates from that sole defining characteristic.

Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota is one of the five most efficient passers in football this season, and is on pace to high-step away with the Offensive Rookie of the Year award in Tennessee.

He is fifth in touchdown passes behind only Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Andy Dalton and Tom Brady. Mariota, like Brady, has only played in three games.

Every game, all season

It's safe to say that he's an ascending talent in this league, but not one that scares Bills head coach Rex Ryan, who faces Mariota and the Titans on Sunday.

"I don't think the kid is going to have his way with us," Ryan said, via the Titans' official website. "I don't think that is going to happen."

In fairness to Ryan, the defense he and defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman have created over the years is absolutely daunting for any player that is new to the league. With varied fronts, simulated pressures and trap zones everywhere, there is always a chance the game turns into a nightmare quickly.

Off the top of our heads: In 2009, Josh Freeman's first game against the Jets resulted in a 14-of-33 performance for 93 yards and three interceptions. In 2010, Colt McCoy went 18-of-31 for 205 yards and a touchdown. In 2012, Andrew Luck posted a very non-Luckian 22-of-44 for 280 yards and two picks. The following season, E.J. Manuel hit only 19 of 42 passes for 243 yards and a touchdown.

This could speak to a larger issue about rookie quarterbacks and it probably does. They are all bad to some degree during their rookie season.

Mariota, though, is off to a better start than any of them. This is not to say he's better than Luck, but measuring both against a very creative defense will be fun.

If indeed Mariota "has his way" with Ryan and the Bills we could be looking at a 2-2 Titans team that is finally trending in the right direction. If not, at least Mariota has some good company.

Man this guy will never get it. Just shut the **** up and let your coaching and players' play speak for itself.

^THIS!

Rex NEVER changes.  He'll pretend to change for a while, he'll talk about the need to change endlessly to the press... BUT nothing changes.  Undisciplined, sloppy, disorganized, poorly conditioned..  these are the adjectives that fit a Rex coached team....  and always will be

^THIS!

Rex NEVER changes.  He'll pretend to change for a while, he'll talk about the need to change endlessly to the press... BUT nothing changes.  Undisciplined, sloppy, disorganized, poorly conditioned..  these are the adjectives that fit a Rex coached team....  and always will be

Very true. May I add that Rex is one of the greatest self promoters of all time. He made the Jets and the Bills relevant by selling himself as the 'savior.' As we found out here, the magic beans work for a couple of years, and then they die on the vine. I still think the most revealing thing about Rex is that the people who knew him best, the Ravens, didn't even give him a sniff for their head coaching job.Doubt that they regret that choice.

Very true. May I add that Rex is one of the greatest self promoters of all time. He made the Jets and the Bills relevant by selling himself as the 'savior.' As we found out here, the magic beans work for a couple of years, and then they die on the vine. I still think the most revealing thing about Rex is that the people who knew him best, the Ravens, didn't even give him a sniff for their head coaching job.Doubt that they regret that choice.

Did the Giants give BB a sniff when the Tuna left?? And after going 5-11 in 2000 with Bledsoe Kraft was thinking he made a huge mistake hiring mumbles.. But not to worry after Mo Lewis made Tommy boy the QB BB never had another worry..:)

Archived