AFC Standings heading into the bye

Jetsfan80

Since the Sunday Night and MNF games are NFC games, we can now take a look at the conference standings thru Week 4:

(Note:  I used net points as the tiebreaker)

1.  Bengals 4-0 (+ 44 net points)

2.  Broncos 4-0 (+ 28)

3.  Patriots 3-0 (+ 49)

4.  Jets 3-1 (+ 40)

5.  Steelers 2-2 (+ 21)

6.  Bills 2-2 (+ 18)

7.  Raiders 2-2 (- 11)

8.  Chargers 2-2 (- 14)

9.  Colts 2-2 (- 21)

10.  Titans 1-2 (+ 12)

11.  Ravens 1-3 (- 11)

12.  Browns 1-3 (- 17)

13.  Chiefs 1-3 (- 25)

14.  Texans 1-3 (- 31)

15.  Dolphins 1-3 (- 36) 

16.  Jaguars 1-3 (- 45)

Guys....we might be legit.  And outside of a handful of teams, the AFC is struggling big-time right now.

the next quarter of games: Washington, at New England, at Oakland, Jacksonville.

The key game in that stretch is Oakland. Better this year, they have Carr and Cooper. I think we beat Washington and Jacksonville and lose to New England. so that game will determine whether we are 5-3 or 6-2

That +40 point differential is a positive sign. 

Yep.  This had been our record and point differential the last 3 years:

2012:  6-10 (- 94)

2013:  8-8 (- 97)

2014:  4-12 (- 118)

We've been just straight up bad for a long while now.  It's nice to see a team that is legitimately playing better than a lot of other teams right now, not just winning a few close games and then losing a bunch of blowouts. 

Yep.  This had been our record and point differential the last 3 years:

2012:  6-10 (- 94)

2013:  8-8 (- 97)

2014:  4-12 (- 118)

We've been just straight up bad for a long while now.  It's nice to see a team that is legitimately playing better than a lot of other teams right now, not just winning a few close games and then losing a bunch of blowouts. 

Exactly. I think we can make some noise this season. 

the next quarter of games: Washington, at New England, at Oakland, Jacksonville.

The key game in that stretch is Oakland. Better this year, they have Carr and Cooper. I think we beat Washington and Jacksonville and lose to New England. so that game will determine whether we are 5-3 or 6-2

I'll sign up for either right now.

Exactly. I think we can make some noise this season. 

Our performances are very sustainable.  The things we're doing well never go out of style.  Dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, creating more turnovers than you commit, pressuring the QB....all things championship teams do.

Who looked at the schedule and said they thought 3-1 heading into the bye? I'll take it all day. 

I did but I'd have thought we'd beat the Eagles and lose to the Colts.  Otherwise, I was not as enamored of the Fish as all the sportswriters out there.  Having said that, I'm still more impressed by HOW they have played in all their games than I expected to be.  This defense, with Sheldon back next week, is going to be downright filthy.

Stat of the day:  Fins were 0-12 on third downs and 0-4 on fourth downs.  That's a crazy stat.

I did but I'd have thought we'd beat the Eagles and lose to the Colts.  Otherwise, I was not as enamored of the Fish as all the sportswriters out there.  Having said that, I'm still more impressed by HOW they have played in all their games than I expected to be.  This defense, with Sheldon back next week, is going to be downright filthy.

Stat of the day:  Fins were 0-12 on third downs and 0-4 on fourth downs.  That's a crazy stat.

Yesterday's game highlighted two MAJOR mistakes by the Dolphins.  Suh -- just too much salary cap tied up in one guy who may turn out to be a dog, and at best, is unlikely to be enough of a difference-maker to justify those dollars.

Second, and maybe even more of the problem, is they should not have given all that money to Tannehill.  He just isn't going to be the guy and they threw a bunch of money at him when they probably didn't need to do so (similar to what Tannenbaum did with Sanchez here).  

What most don't appreciate now, we are 3-0 against the AFC and 1-0 in the division. HUGE bonus when it comes to potential tiebreakers down the road. Only negative is that we can end up as the 2nd best team in the AFC and still be a wild card team. God I hate the Patriots

They can remedy that by beating the Pats. A tall order, but it certainly can be done. As of now, they match up nicely.

Don't sleep on the Redskins.  They are inconsistent, but they stop the run.  The Jets should beat them, but they should have handled the Eagles too. This team better not be looking past them.  One game at a time.

This feels like we really should be 6-2 coming out of the next quarter.  Really shouldn't lose to those any of those three..I would be worried if we did...

If we're 6-2 at the halfway mark, for me, I'll start thinking playoffs.  5-3 with the schedule they had - I would be disappointed.

What most don't appreciate now, we are 3-0 against the AFC and 1-0 in the division. HUGE bonus when it comes to potential tiebreakers down the road. Only negative is that we can end up as the 2nd best team in the AFC and still be a wild card team. God I hate the Patriots

Meanwhile the AFC South currently doesn't have any team ranked in the top 8 of the standings I posted, but one of those 4 teams will get a home game in the playoffs.  Such BS.

While it probably wont ultimately matter since it was an NFC opponent but that Eagles game is making even more mad now, then it did when it happened. :)

Either way, great start to the year heading into the bye. 

I hate looking ahead but the QB's remaining on the Jets schedule are:  Kurt Cousins, Tom Brady x2, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, Tyrod Taylor x2, Ryan Mallet, Eli Manning, Marcus Mariota, Tony Romo or Brandon Weeden?.

Think this D can get a couple of more W's on their own? 

We are a good team, but not a great one (although our D is pretty amazing).  I don't think we beat the Pats (even though I hate them), Buffalo's defense can be a nightmare for our offense so maybe we split with them.  I don't think we beat Dallas if Romo is back.  That's 4 losses.  I think that we can get 10 wins, but we can also only get 8.  Hopefully, Bowels keeps them aggressive.

Yup..That Oakland game is not a gimme. The Jets will need to bring their A game for that one and I wouldn't sleep on Washington yet.

Just keep steppin...one game at a time.

The NE game will be a real test of this team's ability to play against a serious contender. Through the midpoint of the season NE will be the only team we have played that nobody can say, "Yeah they won but look who they were playing." (Indy will likely be a playoff team but by default. The whole AFCS sucks.) I won't rule out Bowles first opportunity to slay NE with this defense but I'm not walking around thinking we are locked for 7-1 in five weeks.

While it probably wont ultimately matter since it was an NFC opponent but that Eagles game is making even more mad now, then it did when it happened. :)

I hate looking ahead but the QB's remaining on the Jets schedule are:  Kurt Cousins, Tom Brady x2, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, Tyrod Taylor x2, Ryan Mallet, Eli Manning, Marcus Mariota, Tony Romo or Brandon Weeden?.

I think young QB's will struggle with this D.  Too much going on.  Taylor running could be an issue but our secondary got some serious tacklers in it.  Brady and Romo if back concern me.  Rest of them will struggle with the pressure up the middle.

Better get that "Sleep Therapist" back for that Oakland game. I wonder if she's like the "Massage Therapist" I used to visit when I was younger?:wub:

Who looked at the schedule and said they thought 3-1 heading into the bye? I'll take it all day. 

I had us beating the Browns and Phins, losing to the Colts, and was unsure about the Eagles. Figured we'd be at worst 2-2.

I figure we split with the Pats and Bills, but could truly see us winning 8 more games.

I had us beating the Browns and Phins, losing to the Colts, and was unsure about the Eagles. Figured we'd be at worst 2-2.

I figure we split with the Pats and Bills, but could truly see us winning 8 more games.

I think the D alone can beat; Cousins, Carr, Bortles, Taylor, Mallet, Mariota and Weeden (assuming Romo isnt back).

If they take a game from the Pats (doubt it), then yeah, this team could win 10+ games.  CRAZY!

I think the D alone can beat; Cousins, Carr, Bortles, Taylor, Mallet, Mariota and Weeden (assuming Romo isnt back).

If they take a game from the Pats (doubt it), then yeah, this team could win 10+ games.  CRAZY!

FWIW, Patriot Radio personalities I heard today basically circling week 7 as the first real challenge for the Pats (Never heard the Pats feel threatened leading up to the Bills game).  Nice to hear a little respect at this point.  Of course Dallas was going to that game for them but the injuries have made that team a shell of its former self.

The nice thing about the 3-1 is that the team has a lot of room for improvement.  I don't think they've even come close to the ceiling on either side of the ball yet.    

Completely agree on the defensive side of the ball...Still feels like they're learning the system...not entirely in sync.  And there still, more or less, dominant.  Add in Sheldon and some time and this defense could be scary.

FWIW, Patriot Radio personalities I heard today basically circling week 7 as the first real challenge for the Pats (Never heard the Pats feel threatened leading up to the Bills game).  Nice to hear a little respect at this point.  Of course Dallas was going to that game for them but the injuries have made that team a shell of its former self.

@ Dallas @ Indy but home for the Jets is the game to circle?

haha - that's a long time from now.  Lots of things can happen.

Archived