Kerley

Ray Mickens 24

I get the Jets want the big bodied receiver who can block.  That being said Enuwa brings nothing to the table, Devin Smith I see promise but very raw.  Kerley runs good routes and can be helpful.  Put him with Marshall and Decker and I think he could be a great weapon.  I'm not saying play him every down but at least 50% of the time.  He can convert 3rd downs and be a security blanket for Fitzpatrick.  I think he'd especially help when Fitzpatrick looked bad in the 3rd quarter get him on track.  Not sure what he did to offend the coaches.  Just wondering what others think.

do we need a new Kerley thread every damn week?  i love Kerley, but he isn't in the new staff's good graces.  he's not a good punt returner and is an average, at best, slot wide receiver.  it's not like we have Wes Welker here sitting on the bench.  Devin Smith was a 2nd round pick for this administration.  He's going to get as much opportunity as possible to succeed.  

IMO the jets should try and flip Kerley for something - maybe to CHI for Bennett. Obviously would need to add a pick or something, but CHI could use a WR.

do we need a new Kerley thread every damn week?  i love Kerley, but he isn't in the new staff's good graces.  he's not a good punt returner and is an average, at best, slot wide receiver.  it's not like we have Wes Welker here sitting on the bench.  Devin Smith was a 2nd round pick for this administration.  He's going to get as much opportunity as possible to succeed.  

IMO the jets should try and flip Kerley for something - maybe to CHI for Bennett. Obviously would need to add a pick or something, but CHI could use a WR.

You cannot sit there and talk down Kerley and then offer a proposition which includes trading him for one of the better tight ends in the league. Persoanlly, I'd like to see him on the field more. 

I I like Smith but Fitz is like 2/849 completing passes towards him. 

the way the bears are going they'll trade Bennett for a bag of balls.  like i said, i like kerely but he isn't a favorite of the new coaching staff.  he isn't going to play unless someone gets injured.

Smith has missed all of TC and the first 2 games.  it's going to take a bit of time for him to develop a rapport with Fitz.  

I like Kerley too; he is a decent possession slot receiver.  Clearly, Decker and Marshall are the class of the WR corps.  Smith has big play speed (although hasn't done much yet as he is very raw).  Kerley's problem with the new staff is that they want to move Decker and Marshall around and play Marshall in the slot.  Also, Decker, Marshall and the others are big and tall.  They have 'better' match-ups with smaller DBs and block better.  Kerley is odd man out now that we have some real receivers and some young depth.  They want to bring the youngsters along (this is how you build with the draft), but want to have quality WRs on the field.  Before Marshall, you needed a slot to get open and make plays, but now you have Marshall who is playing like a beast.

Unfortunately, it will get worse next year when Amaro comes back.  Kerley was one of the best WRs we had a few years back, but now he is getting pushed out by better WRs and some hopefully up and coming WRs.  This is how it should be in a well run organization.

How many of these threads will we have when Cro. is eventually replaced by Williams or someone else? (I still think he can play FS, but I not many agree with that).

I don't think he is anyone's doghouse, I just don't think he fits what Gailey wants.  And, now the Jets have a real 1 & 2 they can bring up players who fit the mold better.

One positive I can say about Kerley this year...he's definitely doing a lot better job returning punts.  Not as many fair catches and he's actually getting a few positive yards when he's got some space.  I got a feeling he's going to break one this year.

How they are using him on offense, or why they're not is still a mystery to me.  He made some really nice, tough grabs and scored a TD in the only game they even gave him a bit of run and then Decker comes back and he's gone.  Whatever.  The team is winning but what makes me nervous is Fitz literally only has 2 actual receivers he throws to...Decker and Marshall.  The rest is to the RB's.  Eventually someone figures that out and put together a game plan to stop it, right?  I mean, as a casual observer, the Jets offense looks stupid easy to defend.

Heavy dose of Ivory, throw to Marshall or Decker every time they dont hand off.  It's scary simple. 

I don't understand the hatred he gets. Especially as a punt returner, the man is a revolutionary. You know how punt returners catch the ball and start running, then they see the guys dressed in opposing uniforms and they try to run away from those guys? Jeremy Kerley is no sheep, and he paves his own road. Jeremy Kerley runs STRAIGHT INTO THEM.

I don't understand the hatred he gets. Especially as a punt returner, the man is a revolutionary. You know how punt returners catch the ball and start running, then they see the guys dressed in opposing uniforms and they try to run away from those guys? Jeremy Kerley is no sheep, and he paves his own road. Jeremy Kerley runs STRAIGHT INTO THEM.

and falls down.

Hey man, be careful... asking people not to start redundant threads is a personal attack. ;)

One positive I can say about Kerley this year...he's definitely doing a lot better job returning punts.  Not as many fair catches and he's actually getting a few positive yards when he's got some space.  I got a feeling he's going to break one this year.

How they are using him on offense, or why they're not is still a mystery to me.  He made some really nice, tough grabs and scored a TD in the only game they even gave him a bit of run and then Decker comes back and he's gone.  Whatever.  The team is winning but what makes me nervous is Fitz literally only has 2 actual receivers he throws to...Decker and Marshall.  The rest is to the RB's.  Eventually someone figures that out and put together a game plan to stop it, right?  I mean, as a casual observer, the Jets offense looks stupid easy to defend.

Heavy dose of Ivory, throw to Marshall or Decker every time they dont hand off.  It's scary simple. 

Kerley fields a punt, moves his legs the equivalent of 10-12 steps, advances 1 yard, then buries his face in the crotch of the nearest gunner.

the way the bears are going they'll trade Bennett for a bag of balls.  like i said, i like kerely but he isn't a favorite of the new coaching staff.  he isn't going to play unless someone gets injured.

Smith has missed all of TC and the first 2 games.  it's going to take a bit of time for him to develop a rapport with Fitz.  

And that's it in a nut shell plus even though Bowles himself said Marcus Williams is a favorite of his he still starts Cro.. Although it seemed he put Marcus in late in the game and he played great with a end zone pick..

Kerley fields a punt, moves his legs the equivalent of 10-12 steps, advances 1 yard, then buries his face in the crotch of the nearest gunner.

He's like #5 in the league on punt return yards and he's there without having a TD.  All the guys ahead of him have scored. 

He's doing well this year but its cool.  Got to have some ill placed bitching taking place about someone on the team. 

I understand totally what Ray Mickens 24 is talking about here, I was thinking the same thing. We get absolutely nothing out of our receivers other than Decker and Marshall. If we had one more weapon, just a little of a weapon - we would be that much better with our air attack, and Kerley has proven he can be another guy to throw to. I understand that he is basically a slot guy, and thats what Decker and Marshall are, so maybe he is incompatible to be with them on the field at the same time - I leave that up to the experts here on the board. But if there was  a way to get him in there with Decker and Marshall, we should do it, and let the young guys develop another time. For all we know, the new receivers are the second coming of Steven Hill...

You cannot sit there and talk down Kerley and then offer a proposition which includes trading him for one of the better tight ends in the league. Persoanlly, I'd like to see him on the field more. 

I I like Smith but Fitz is like 2/849 completing passes towards him. 

You are Correct.

Smith is really struggling.  He is getting mauled at the LOS and as a result his routes are way off.

You are Correct.

Smith is really struggling.  He is getting mauled at the LOS and as a result his routes are way off.

he has been open downfield.  Question is  is he open where Fitz expects him to be open.  And hey, Fitz has missed him at least twice when he had no one anywhere near him.

The Jets need a legitimate kick and punt returner Kerley is not the answer. 

I keep talking up Powell, the kid from the practice squad.  I know it was only the pre-season.  But he looked absolutely quick and explosive (sounds like my dating experience as a youth).  Why not bring Powell up and give him a shot?  It costs us nothing and maybe we find a KR/PR who does more than take a knee or call for a fair catch.

he has been open downfield.  Question is  is he open where Fitz expects him to be open.  And hey, Fitz has missed him at least twice when he had no one anywhere near him.

Yup...a lot of people keep saying there's confusion between him and Fitz...and that may very well be the case - but the guy has been open a lot...confusion or not - he's getting open, that says something...

The idea that he's "lost" is another over exaggeration of this board.  Yes, he's played two games without much of a camp...As a rookie you wouldn't expect much more than looking lost- but a few good throws on deep balls and he could have a TD or two.

He's shown good hands, quickness and speed.  Yes, he's been pushed around a bit (he has to toughen up) and likely ran a route or two wrong...but hopefully those will come with experience and confidence.

He's like #5 in the league on punt return yards and he's there without having a TD.  All the guys ahead of him have scored. 

He's doing well this year but its cool.  Got to have some ill placed bitching taking place about someone on the team. 

That's because our defense forces a lot of punts, you dummy.

There was obviously a conversation with Kerley about not taking every punt as a fair catch. He's doing better than expected IMO for a guy who was waived off seemingly every return opportunity for a year or more.

I like Kerley but he doesn't seem to fit in our system right now. If he were faster then he would be in Smith's place. He's good at running his routes and making catches but not fast enough to stretch the field. Smith is extremely green but he can stretch out the defense just by running even if he can't get separation or make the catches. If I'm Kerley I'm trying to improve my running speed over anything else this season.

Yup...a lot of people keep saying there's confusion between him and Fitz...and that may very well be the case - but the guy has been open a lot...confusion or not - he's getting open, that says something...

The idea that he's "lost" is another over exaggeration of this board.  Yes, he's played two games without much of a camp...As a rookie you wouldn't expect much more than looking lost- but a few good throws on deep balls and he could have a TD or two.

He's shown good hands, quickness and speed.  Yes, he's been pushed around a bit (he has to toughen up) and likely ran a route or two wrong...but hopefully those will come with experience and confidence.

the majority of drafted receivers take a year or so to blend in anyway

That's because our defense forces a lot of punts, you dummy.

You're right.  He's fielded the 2nd most punts behind De'Anthony Thomas (15) who everyone on this board would prefer over Kerley (14), right?  Well, he's averaging 8.1 and Kerley is averaging 8.8 per return.

Patrick Peterson - is he a better punt returner?  He's averaging 5.3 per on 8 punt returns. 

It's better than names like Emmanuel Sanders, Dexter McCluster, Julian Edelman and a few others I'm sure this board would die to have.

Is he great, no?  But he's doing a very adequate job this year...but like I said, the fans need to be mad at someone for something that they're wrong about it.  It's more fun that way.

You're right.  He's fielded the 2nd most punts behind De'Anthony Thomas (15) who everyone on this board would prefer over Kerley (14), right?  Well, he's averaging 8.1 and Kerley is averaging 8.8 per return.

Patrick Peterson - is he a better punt returner?  He's averaging 5.3 per on 8 punt returns. 

It's better than names like Emmanuel Sanders, Dexter McCluster, Julian Edelman and a few others I'm sure this board would die to have.

Is he great, no?  But he's doing a very adequate job this year...but like I said, the fans need to be mad at someone for something that they're wrong about it.  It's more fun that way.

Are those 8.8 dancing yards, or running yards?

Please tell me your joking on this one.

No joke.  Patrick Peterson is averaging 5.3 yards per return on 8 attempts.  I found it on ESPN.

No , you said is Patrick Peterson a better punt returner.  Its not even open to debate, Peterson would be better than Kerley with one arm tied behind his back and his shoes tied together.

No , you said is Patrick Peterson a better punt returner.  Its not even open to debate, Peterson would be better than Kerley with one arm tied behind his back and his shoes tied together.

No, I asked a question, hence my use of this thingy - ?.

My point was, one of the best punt returners in the league is averaging less yards per return than Kerley but we are complaining about him for some reason. 

No, I asked a question, hence my use this thingy - ?.

My point was, one of the best punt returners in the league is averaging less yards per return than Kerley but we are complaining about him for some reason. 

Punters and teams kick away from Peterson in fear of a big return. Teams purposely kick to Kerley .

Archived