Dion Bailey ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- Forget the trains and the automobiles. For Dion Bailey, this movie could be called, "Planes, Planes & Planes."

To say the New York Jets' recently-acquired safety had a whirlwind week would be an understatement. He was claimed on waivers last Monday and took a red eye from Seattle, landing in New Jersey at 5:45 a.m. Tuesday.On Thursday afternoon, after his second practice with the Jets, Bailey was back on a plane, this time making the six-hour, 15-minute flight to London. He and his teammates returned on Sunday night after their 27-14 win over the Miami Dolphins.So if you're counting at home, that's three flights and a total of 9,300 air miles in a span of six days.

"I don't think I'll ever forget this week for the rest of my life," Bailey said after the game.

As it turned out, Bailey wasn't just carry-on luggage for the Jets. He was forced into the game in the fourth quarter when safety Calvin Pryor went down with a bruised knee at the 7:42 mark. Despite minimal knowledge of the scheme, Bailey played important minutes as the Dolphins tried to get back into the game.Unofficially, Bailey played 17 snaps. At one point, with Miami on the Jets' 12-yard line, he made the tackle on three straight plays. He finished with four tackles, not bad for a half-quarter.

"I'm not the biggest guy or the fastest guy, so being a sure tackler has taken me a long way," Bailey said.

Bailey started two games for the Seattle Seahawks, but was waived when star safety Kam Chancellor ended his holdout. The Jets pounced on him."To come on this team after a couple of days and to get thrown into the fire, that's what we saw on film from the guy," coach Todd Bowles said. "The guy's a tough-minded kid, a tough player and he's mentally tough. And he came up with some plays. I was proud of him."

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54803/meet-dion-bailey-the-jets-frequent-flying-safety-9300-miles-in-six-days

I've always been a believer that young new players have to show something early on when they get the chance, they will make mistakes but they have to make a few positive plays and this guy did it.  This team was so depth starved for years in the Tanny era, nice to see the new regime slowly building up that part of the team.

Archived