At the end of the day, Bowles is much more aggressive than Rex.

Bruce Harper

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard somewhere or read it that Bowles doesn't know what a prevent defense is. Sure seems that way throughout the games since he never lets up. He only rushes 3 either when Jets are up by so much there is no way to catch up with the amount of time left, or when it's like 3rd and 19 and they just keep the O within that distance only allowing an underneath throw. Refreshing to see that he stays aggressive all the time basically, which is always the best formula for preventing comebacks, which up to this point no team has done to the Jets. 

Wow so it wasn't an illusion. He really did bring the heat that much, gotta love it and totally agree JiF, that series of plays where he just ran the same blitz 3 times had Tannehill crapping his pants.  Great feel and killer instinct on defense.  Would like to see that translate a little more to 60 minutes of the same style on offense please.

The Skrine thing was cool.   No OC is going to assign a double team to a 180 lb blitzer, with al the other guys the Jets have, and the OL just could not deal with Skrine's athleticism and blinding quickness.  Nice to see that the Jets have a guy in the secondary who really knows how to blitz..

I'm really liking Bowles, and I like his D.  But, i'm a little worried about the frequency of blitzing against a good QB.  The elite qbs in this league really punish the blitz.  The Mannings, Brady, Roger types will notice it, check into a hot route and shred it.  Their numbers are almost always much better against the blitz than straight 4 man rush.

The key is disguise and different looks, to prevent the qb from getting into a rhythm.  Still, it works for awhile and then you end up with a very fatigued defense, holes start opening up all over the field and tackles start to be missed. 

Did you see how the Giants beat Brady in the SB ( twice) pressure up the gut . Brady can handle an outside rush but when you get in his face up the middle its a different story .I like our chances getting to him with Mo, Sheldon, Williams and Snacks or Coples . I trust Bowles/Rodgers to create mismatches against any QB we face. 

Mangini got exposed here, Cleveland and this will be his last year in the NFL as a coach or coordinator I have never been this confident in a prediction.

even if Rex gets fired in Buffalo in 3 years he will have many more years in the NFL as a DC

Really - do you believe that . If Rex gets exposed again with all the talent he has in Buffalo - it might be the end for him unlike his brother who stayed at the DC position. 

Did you see how the Giants beat Brady in the SB ( twice) pressure up the gut . Brady can handle an outside rush but when you get in his face up the middle its a different story .I like our chances getting to him with Mo, Sheldon, Williams and Snacks or Coples . I trust Bowles/Rodgers to create mismatches against any QB we face. 

Amen...Amen... Amen!!

The key is to disrupt the QB's throwing lanes and to get them uncomfortable in the pocket something this Jets defense has a chance to do!!

Really - do you believe that . If Rex gets exposed again with all the talent he has in Buffalo - it might be the end for him unlike his brother who stayed at the DC position. 

all the talent?  He has a good d-line, McCoy and Watkins and that's about it.  The Dolphins are actually better on paper and they are going 2-14.

Heard somewhere or read it that Bowles doesn't know what a prevent defense is. Sure seems that way throughout the games since he never lets up. He only rushes 3 either when Jets are up by so much there is no way to catch up with the amount of time left, or when it's like 3rd and 19 and they just keep the O within that distance only allowing an underneath throw. Refreshing to see that he stays aggressive all the time basically, which is always the best formula for preventing comebacks, which up to this point no team has done to the Jets. 

as a play caller Bowles is pretty similar to Rex.  Mangini was a very conservative play caller he would go in quarters or preven against Matt Cassell.

ok and they may be top 5 this year we're only 4 weeks into the season

The point 56mehl was making was that he might get fired if their talented team continues to get exposed.  You countered by saying that they aren't that talented.  I mentioned that their defense was ranked a top 5 unit.  You mentioned that they still might be.  None of this makes any sense.  So are you saying they're talented, or they're not?

Amen...Amen... Amen!!

The key is to disrupt the QB's throwing lanes and to get them uncomfortable in the pocket something this Jets defense has a chance to do!!

Yep, the key to beat Brady (and really any immobile QB) is disguise in the secondary (some zone, some man) and consistent pressure with a 4 man rush, up the gut. 

The Giants rarely blitzed in the sb, but they were destroying NE's line and making Brady move around and rush throws into a 7 man secondary.  No QB can deal with that unless they can scramble out and buy so much time that the receivers get open regardless.

I think the Jets D can easily do that, which is why I don't think they should be blitzing 5-6 guys like they've been doing against a few of these teams (Denver is another one).  

Of course the flipside, is that if you don't win that 4 man rush battle, you give Brady 5-6 seconds at a time to throw and you exhaust your secondary.

Yep, the key to beat Brady (and really any immobile QB) is disguise in the secondary (some zone, some man) and consistent pressure with a 4 man rush, up the gut. 

The Giants rarely blitzed in the sb, but they were destroying NE's line and making Brady move around and rush throws into a 7 man secondary.  No QB can deal with that unless they can scramble out and buy so much time that the receivers get open regardless.

I think the Jets D can easily do that, which is why I don't think they should be blitzing 5-6 guys like they've been doing against a few of these teams (Denver is another one).  

Of course the flipside, is that if you don't win that 4 man rush battle, you give Brady 5-6 seconds at a time to throw and you exhaust your secondary.

I agree with you...

This is why Sheldon will be so important they wont have to blitz as much and if they do blitz they will be getting to the QB so quickly that the QB wont be able to make good decisions.

Yes and no.  Both can work, we showed it with the first couple of Rex teams who blitzed Brady often.  We beat him and even when we didnt we lost because we sucked on offense and Brady won while putting up sh*tty numbers.  

Yes and no.  Both can work, we showed it with the first couple of Rex teams who blitzed Brady often.  We beat him and even when we didnt we lost because we sucked on offense and Brady won while putting up sh*tty numbers.  

The Stephen Hill drop a few years back was a game changer.  Shattered the confidence of Hill, shattered Marks confidence in Hill.

THAT game was a winnable game against NE.

The Stephen Hill drop a few years back was a game changer.  Shattered the confidence of Hill, shattered Marks confidence in Hill.

THAT game was a winnable game against NE.

That game was a win if Hill catches the damn ball.  

Not defending Rex AT ALL...but it's a little easier to send the house like Bowles is able to do when you have a secondary like he has currently. I don't think he'd be quite so aggressive if he had our starting backfield from last season playing now.

Defending Rex's passivity with Rex's hand-picked secondary is pretty funny stuff, mate.

If the Dbacks sucked, it's because Rex had a hand in choosing them and believed far too much in "his guys" most of whom were horrible.

How many times have we said this.  Everyone forgets how much and how hard they loved Rex from his first presser through his first 3-4 seasons.  I love this combos but deep down know I'll be arguing with a group down the road who will write that Bowles/Macc suck, have always sucked and are losers who have to go.  Immediately 

I was thinking the exact same thing. I like Bowles, but these threads sound eerily similar to how we talked about Rex his first season. He was 3-0 let's not forget. and 3-1 right after that.  We all said how great it was to see the difference in the same players Mangini had after the Rex effect too place. The same guys seemed to play more aggressive and tackle better. The confidence was oozing out of the ear holes of every player;s helmet. I'm hearing the same things now about Harris, Davis etc.

Don't get me wrong. I'm generally a homer and I am just as excited about what's happening as anyone else, but I can't forget that we've felt this exact way before and see no need to trash the previous coach in order to support the new one. 

I was thinking the exact same thing. I like Bowles, but these threads sound eerily similar to how we talked about Rex his first season. He was 3-0 let's not forget. and 3-1 right after that.  We all said how great it was to see the difference in the same players Mangini had after the Rex effect too place. The same guys seemed to play more aggressive and tackle better. The confidence was oozing out of the ear holes of every player;s helmet. I'm hearing the same things now about Harris, Davis etc.

Don't get me wrong. I'm generally a homer and I am just as excited about what's happening as anyone else, but I can't forget that we've felt this exact way before and see no need to trash the previous coach in order to support the new one. 

Difference is Bowles has stated repeatedly we have a lot to improve upon.  The guys also aren't talking trash.  They understand the big picture far better right now than they ever did under Rex.

Difference is Bowles has stated repeatedly we have a lot to improve upon.  The guys also aren't talking trash.  They understand the big picture far better right now than they ever did under Rex.

Fair enough, but what I am seeing in this thread is more of a comparison of their knowledge of how to utilize players and game planning- those sorts of things. Besides the culture here just prior to Rex with Mangini was very respectful and calculated. The rex "bravado" was a welcome change. We viewed it as confidence and aggressiveness. I could make the argument that Bowles is similar to Mangini as far as the way they hold themselves. 

It's very  similar to how it sounded in here 7 years ago.

as a play caller Bowles is pretty similar to Rex.  Mangini was a very conservative play caller he would go in quarters or preven against Matt Cassell.

With a healthy Favre as his QB he lost at home 19-10 and needed OT at Foxboro to beat those Cassel Pats in 08..:)

With a healthy Favre as his QB he lost at home 19-10 and needed OT at Foxboro to beat those Cassel Pats in 08..:)

we went with 6-7 DB's playing zone against Matt friggin Cassell last drive of the game and the pats matched the ball downfield to tie as a result.  That is as inept as it gets.

Fair enough, but what I am seeing in this thread is more of a comparison of their knowledge of how to utilize players and game planning- those sorts of things. Besides the culture here just prior to Rex with Mangini was very respectful and calculated. The rex "bravado" was a welcome change. We viewed it as confidence and aggressiveness. I could make the argument that Bowles is similar to Mangini as far as the way they hold themselves. 

It's very  similar to how it sounded in here 7 years ago.

Not much we can do about that.  I'm not really gonna temper my enthusiasm until Bowles starts giving me reasons not to trust him.  All we can do is hope that over time our coach is solid and has a desire to always get better.  All you can ask.

Not much we can do about that.  I'm not really gonna temper my enthusiasm until Bowles starts giving me reasons not to trust him.  All we can do is hope that over time our coach is solid and has a desire to always get better.  All you can ask.

Indeedy. 

my point wasn't to look for holes in Bowles approach.  Just that we always pour our support and eventually it usually turns.  I'm more optimistic about this pairing though.  For one they're on the same page and are similar in their approach.  The rest is I think Bowles brings more substance to the game than Rex.  Think he's more sound and detailed as opposed to coaching more off emotion and bluster like Rex.  Hoping we get our long term solution, having coaching become a given

He  had a great secondary in zona; peterson, cromartie, Mathieu, powers. They weren't easy to throw on. 

Arizona's 4152 receiving yards surrendered was 29th in the NFL for pass defenses. 6.8 yds per attempt was 23rd (worse than the 2014 Jets, playing a bunch of crappy backups all year long). Half of Arizona's (six) games surrendering under 200 passing yards came after Carson Palmer went down, when teams didn't need to pass to stay in the game since the Cardinals offense didn't score 20 points in any game for the rest of the season.

I don't agree with this.  I was happy to be winning when Rex came but even then I would wonder why Rex got less aggressive at the end of games.

I don't agree with this.  I was happy to be winning when Rex came but even then I would wonder why Rex got less aggressive at the end of games.

And we have a 4 game data base for Bowles as a head coach. Who knows how he will coach as things progress? 

My only real point was that during Rex's first four games this, and other boards, were sprinkled with very similar sentiments as is happening right now. 

The fact that Rex's first two seasons were magical in many respects caused many (myself included) to downplay many of the things Mangini did while here, but in  many ways he built the team with Mangold, Brick, Revis, Harris, B.Smith, T. Jones, Cotchery,  Faneca, Jenkins etc that Rex used to become so dominant. 

Archived