MMQB - How the Jets D Is Taking the Offense

prime21

Offense

The return of Darrelle Revis has been huge for the 3-1 Jets, who had their way with the Dolphins in London. But it’s Todd Bowles’ unique pressure concepts that have allowed Gang Green to dominate as the NFL’s best defense in 2015

revis-cromartie-skrine.jpg?itok=tv6F77_q
Hugo Philpott/UPI/LANDOV

After Sunday’s 27-14 shellacking of the Dolphins in London, the Jets have now unofficially been the NFL’s best defense of 2015 on two different continents. In four games, first-year head coach Todd Bowles’ pressure-packed scheme has generated a league-high 13 turnovers, held opposing quarterbacks to a passer rating of 62.3 and, most importantly, keyed three victories.

The Jets look like a bona fide playoff contender at the quarter point. To fully appreciate their success, one must understand how exactly they are coming by it.

For starters, the Revis Factor cannot be overstated. The league’s best corner since Deion Sanders, Revis has continued to stifle opposing receivers snap in and snap out. The significance of this lies not just in the fact that Revis can win one-on-one (something many corners in today’s pass-happy NFL can’t do consistently) or even that he can do it against true No. 1 receivers (something that, with Cleveland’s Joe Haden struggling so far, no other corner is currently doing). The significance lies in the fact that the Jets know Revis can play this way, and can therefore build game plans around it. With Revis trusted to remove the opponent’s top receiver, 10 other Jets defenders can put their focus elsewhere. That’s more energy to devote to fewer offensive players and to less area of field.

On Sunday, Revis proved his mettle by taking Jarvis Landry. The second-year Dolphins receiver often lines up in the slot, where defenders must contest with a wideout having a two-way go. The bulk of Miami’s offense runs through Landry; he’s not only their best receiver but also the key to their misdirection concepts, both through the air and on the ground. Revis capped off a sensational day with a fourth-quarter end zone interception, undercutting Landry’s short seam route. Landry, in the way that defeated players sometimes do, lost his temper in the aftermath.

When Revis wasn’t in the slot, fellow free-agent pickup Buster Skrine was. Skrine was brought in specifically to play this role. On Sunday, it seemed like on every snap from the slot the ex-Brown blitzed. Which brings us to the meat of New York’s defensive approach. Bowles’ players and assistants marvel at his willingness to blitz anytime, anywhere. Unlike the majority of defensive play-callers, Bowles does not limit his pressure concepts to inside the 20-yard-lines or to certain third-down situations. The unpredictability and aggressiveness of his blitzes puts his unit in command, forcing the offense to play as the reactor.

Bowles has a deep appreciation for the nuances of blitzing, understanding that sacks are not an outcome of blitzes, but rather, one of the byproducts. Blitzes are supposed to make a quarterback play fast and without clarity. Hence, many of Bowles blitzes attack right up the middle, through the A-gaps. Not only is this the quickest path to the quarterback, it’s also the best way to obscure a quarterback’s vision. Most passes leave the quarterback’s hand and initially travel between the guards and center. By putting bodies in those lanes (and often lanky bodies, if available), you put attackers immediately in a QB’s line of vision, stoking any tendencies he has for speeding up while also obscuring his downfield informational processing. (On Sunday, Bowles’ game plan centered less around the A-gaps and more around the edges, taking away Ryan Tannehill’s comfort blanket in the flats. At one point in the second half the Jets brought three straight edge blitzes, and Tannehill had three consecutive passes batted down at the line of scrimmage.)

Revis’s interception on Sunday was his second of the season, to go along with three fumble recoveries. (Stephen Pond/Getty Images)

Revis’s interception on Sunday was his second of the season, to go along with three fumble recoveries. (Stephen Pond/Getty Images)

Forcing QBs to play off schedule like this often leads to interceptions. Just ask Andrew Luck, whose Colts fell victim to this multiple times in his team’s Week 2 Monday night loss to the Jets. In that game, the Jets strived for turnovers by playing matchup zone concepts behind the blitzes. That approach allowed their defensive backs to keep their eyes not just on their receiver (as they would in man-to-man) but also in the backfield. This is how you jump routes. Bowles loves matchup zones, especially in his base 3-4 packages, and he understands that they’re often only effective if a secondary’s members can transition smoothly from zone into man coverage. If you’re going to blitz—and especially if you’re going to send safeties or corners, which usually means an overload blitz featuring six or even seven rushers—then you must be sturdy in coverage across the board.

That’s why The Revis Factor isn’t the only thing driving New York’s defense. No. 2 corner Antonio Cromartie, though inconsistent in his technique, is one of the league’s better matchup-to-man transition players. Skrine is sturdy here, as well, and the team’s fourth—and far less heralded—free-agent DB, safety Marcus Gilchrist, was a corner early in his career with the Chargers and has the versatility and coverage aptitude to defend tight ends on an island. Bowles also believes in playing a lot of defensive backs, which is why, on Sunday, No. 4 corner Marcus Williams saw significant snaps, often lined up across from Jordan Cameron whenever the tight end was split wide. Cameron, whom Miami was hoping would be an X-factor, wound up being soundly defeated by a dime corner in several one-on-one scenarios.

With two reliable, if not remarkable, inside linebackers (David Harris and Demario Davis) operating behind a dynamic three-man front line against which many teams, including the Dolphins on Sunday, cannot consistently run the ball, the Jets are all but assured off seeing a sizable helping of third-and-long situations each week. Not that Bowles has to wait around for them in order to put his D on the offensive.

Yeah but Raiderholic told me the Revis isnt the same and we will see a significant decline in skills and the Jets secondary looks nice on paper but in the real world sucks.

So this is a cute article but I'll wait to hear what he has to say. 

The matchup zones that the article refers to is essentially the core of Bowles defense. It is man to man, but essentially man to man zone. So the Jets defenders can watch the ball. In contrast, Rex played true man to man and was always turned away from the ball, and in some cases (cough,...Kyle Wilson) they never could get their heads turned around.

Couple things:

1. As important as Revis is, I think Skrine may be more important. He is really the straw that stirs the drink. He must be a nightmare to opposition, he seems to be everywhere.

2. Not only is Skrine likely the best nickel corner in the NFL right now, Marcus Williams is the best dime. Williams is actually probably better than Cro even at this point.

The matchup zones that the article refers to is essentially the core of Bowles defense. It is man to man, but essentially man to man zone. So the Jets defenders can watch the ball. In contrast, Rex played true man to man and was always turned away from the ball, and in some cases (cough,...Kyle Wilson) they never could get their heads turned around.

Couple things:

1. As important as Revis is, I think Skrine may be more important. He is really the straw that stirs the drink. He must be a nightmare to opposition, he seems to be everywhere.

2. Not only is Skrine likely the best nickel corner in the NFL right now, Marcus Williams is the best dime. Williams is actually probably better than Cro even at this point.

Great post.  And dont sleep on Gilchrist.  That guy can match up with just about anyone.  The secondary is deep and very talented. 

Yeah but Raiderholic told me the Revis isnt the same and we will see a significant decline in skills and the Jets secondary looks nice on paper but in the real world sucks.

So this is a cute article but I'll wait to hear what he has to say. 

Revis is struggling with slouching this year. I have dissapoint.

This is a freakin GREAT ARTICLE!!

The article laid out why the Jets and more particularly Todd Bowless are so good.  The amazing thing is we have gotten so spolied in many ways by Rex and now Bowles.  The Jets didn't always have this defensive presence and for them to be this good for over a long period of time is nice and something that the Ownership did in fact get right.

Thanks very nice write up.

What's scary is Richardson is back after the bye.  As much as he's done stupid/reckless things

he's a great DLineman.  Putting him on the line with Wilkerson & Williams is going to be awesome

to watch

What's scary is Richardson is back after the bye.  As much as he's done stupid/reckless things

he's a great DLineman.  Putting him on the line with Wilkerson & Williams is going to be awesome

to watch

You said it and used the right word SCARY!!!!!!!

What would have happened so far if we had him since week One!!!! 

You know what?  Before we go nuts, let's see what this D can do against the Pats* later this month.  That'll be the true test.  All these games are like warmups compared to that one.  To beat the Pats*, not only do you need great players, but you need to come in with a great game plan, which is why Rex played them so well.  We'll see Bowles game-planning chops.

Scary to think Sheldon is back now too.

This D might be better than the 2009/2010 Defenses that took us to the AFCCG.  Obviously they have to stay healthy for the whole year for that to come to fruition, but man they look good.

Most people are calling the Broncos the best D in the NFL right now.  Good.  Let the Jets D stay under the radar as much as possible.

Really looking forward to seeing what this D can do against the Pats* later this month.  That'll be the true test.

That will be the test, the Pats.

I am loving this, but so far we have beat the Browns with a backup QB, the Colts (nice win but they are over rated), held the Eagles down defensively, and the Dolphins (train wreck).  You can only beat your schedule, but the Pats are the true test. 

Like many others I'm reserving judgement for a while because of the schedule so far, but it's worth noting that FO adjusts for SOS and they had us 2nd in the league going into yesterday, in DAVE too which is a projective number. 1st against the pass and 9th against the run. So that says something.

You know what?  Before we go nuts, let's see what this D can do against the Pats* later this month.  That'll be the true test.  All these games are like warmups compared to that one.  To beat the Pats*, not only do you need great players, but you need to come in with a great game plan, which is why Rex played them so well.  We'll see Bowles game-planning chops.

They key to beating the Pats is we have to stay close or better yet have a lead. We can not afford to leave points on the field like we have done almost every game.  I don't think 27 points beats the Pats; we may need to score 30 or more, imho.

I hate this notion. The Jets so far have played 2 really good QBs and Sam Bradford who was great yesterday and they have done really well. They can only play who they have on their schedule. Personally I think they can split with NE.

I hate this notion. The Jets so far have played 2 really good QBs and Sam Bradford who was great yesterday and they have done really well. They can only play who they have on their schedule. Personally I think they can split with NE.

I'm just saying, we've seen a lot of "great" defenses go into Foxboro and get shredded by the Cheatriots.  The AFC goes through them.  Let's see the Jets D take care of business there before we compare this D to the great units of years past.

I'm just saying, we've seen a lot of "great" defenses go into Foxboro and get shredded by the Cheatriots.  The AFC goes through them.  Let's see the Jets D take care of business there before we compare this D to the great units of years past.

No one is comparing them to the 85 Bears. The Jets so far have the best overall defense this year. 2015. 

People always bring up the schedule, can we stop.  Before the season all I heard was how

tough our schedule was.  But now we start stacking up wins and our schedule is "easy".

You can't have it both ways, you play whoever is next try to beat them and clean up your

own issues.  IND, PHI & MIA were all thought to be "big time" teams just a month ago, let's

not change the narrative now because we're 3-1

No one is comparing them to the 85 Bears. The Jets so far have the best overall defense this year. 2015. 

there's a lot of people who are giving that title to the Broncos, not Jets.  I think both sides have a decent argument right now.  Need to see more of 2015 to judge.

People always bring up the schedule, can we stop.  Before the season all I heard was how

tough our schedule was.  But now we start stacking up wins and our schedule is "easy".

You can't have it both ways, you play whoever is next try to beat them and clean up your

own issues.  IND, PHI & MIA were all thought to be "big time" teams just a month ago, let's

not change the narrative now because we're 3-1

nobody is changing any narratives.  People who were trying to make a narrative before the season began were at fault.  This isn't 2014.  The Eagles and Dolphins in 2015 are not good teams.  IND has a lot of issues too, not just with Luck but with the o-line/d-line too.  Jets D has played well every game so far, even in the loss against Philly.  I'm just anxious to see this defense against a truly tough opponent, is all.

nobody is changing any narratives.  People who were trying to make a narrative before the season began were at fault.  This isn't 2014.  The Eagles and Dolphins in 2015 are not good teams.  IND has a lot of issues too, not just with Luck but with the o-line/d-line too.  Jets D has played well every game so far, even in the loss against Philly.  I'm just anxious to see this defense against a truly tough opponent, is all.

Well the way they perform in NE shouldn't be the end all as well, especially in Gillette. A team like the Raiders is a true test. Good WR and solid young QB.

Remember when so many people said that Revis was not only not worth a big contract because "cornerbacks don't affect the game much, all they can do is cover one player", but they went so far as to say that having Darrelle Revis on your team is actually detrimental? Because "you could spend that money on another more important position". LOL.

Best player the Jets have ever had, and it's not really close.

I know one thing, the WAS game after the bye will be a big test.  Because our previous coach was

absolutely awful preparing the team after a long break.  I want to see us come out of the bye crisp

with energy and a steep reduction in penalties

And better ST play. We give up too much yardage there. Teams have not been able to connect with the deep pass. The Jets have now taken away the short throws too. The LB coverage has been better this year as even Hitman has made plays while in coverage.

the pressure packages make QB hurry. Those three blitzes in a row yesterday was fierce. The good thing is that with Sheldon returning we will get even better. Mo is playing All-Pro. Williams played his best game yesterday. I thought that he was Suh.

I know one thing, the WAS game after the bye will be a big test.  Because our previous coach was

absolutely awful preparing the team after a long break.  I want to see us come out of the bye crisp

with energy and a steep reduction in penalties

plus one...... Bowles has impressed so far. Seeing an energized, disciplined team come out after the bye and take care of business would be awesome ?

Archived