...getting what we paid for ~ ~ ~

kelly

There is a saying that in life, you get what you pay for.  This may be generally true in most areas, but it doesn't really hold much water in the NFL.

In other sports free agent signings are easier.  In baseball when you sign a free agent, as long as he isn't approaching retirement, you usually know what you're going to get.  Look at the guy's baseball card the last five years or so and plug in similar numbers for the next few years and barring injuries, you usually won't be too far off.  Oh sure, there's a list of players that inexplicably implode the minute they sign their shiny new contracts, most of whom seem to get signed by the Mets, but in general, those guys are the exception, not the rule.  Basketball is similar; look at the recent prior stats, and barring injury or rapid age related decline, you usually know what you're going to get.  Not always, but more often than not.

Football is a different animal entirely.  The sport is riddled with cases of big free agent signings that implode the minute the ink is dry on the new free agent deals.  Because football is so much more of an interdependent, scheme related sport, transplanting other teams' good players into your team's system is always a risky business.  You just never know what you're going to get.  Which is one reason among many (the salary cap being chief among them) why it is so difficult to build a contender through free agency in football.

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan entered the 2015 free agency period with oodles of money to spend, thanks to his dearly departed predecessor's aversion to ever spending on free agents.  It might be tempting to say Maccagnan's job of improving the team was almost foolproof, given the giant gobs of money he had at his disposal.  However, in the NFL there are no sure things in free agency. Not even close.  In the NFL you don't necessarily get what you pay for.  Often you end up getting a nasty surprise that blows up in your face.

Maccagnan chose to spend the lion's share of his cap space on a shiny new secondary.  It was the obvious choice.   Between a new head coach who needed shut down cornerbacks to make his system go, and a team that started Darrin Walls, Kyle "Never Look Back, Something Might Be Gaining On You" Wilson, and a rotating cast of NFL tryout players at cornerback last year, something needed to be done.  And boy did Maccagnan ever do something.

Darrelle Revis, 5 years, $70 million.  Antonio Cromartie, 4 years, $32 million. Marcus Gilchrist, 4 years, $22 million.  Buster Skrine, 4 years, $25 million.  That's a $149 million secondary we're looking at, albeit some of that money will never be paid as guys eventually get cut.  But still, $149 million!  The Jets better hope that in this case they got what they paid for, because what they paid for is the most expensive secondary in NFL history.

How do the early results look   ?  Very promising.  So far the new Jets secondary has faced four quarterbacks. None have reached the mediocre passer rating of 80 against the Jets.  None have thrown for over 250 yards.  None have completed as much as 60% of their passes (if we consider Cleveland's two headed QB as one entity).  Overall opposing quarterbacks are averaging less than 200 yards passing, a horrible 5.7 yards per pass attempt, and a league leading passer rating of a paltry 62.3 against the Jets.  As a point of reference, there are only five NFL defenses that are currently allowing an average passer rating of less than 80 against them.  The Jets have held every single quarterback they've faced below that number.   And these aren't the league's dregs we're talking about.  OK, in Cleveland's case, these are the league's dregs.  But Andrew Luck, Ryan Tannehill and Sam Bradford aren't a bad trio of quarterbacks to shut down.

The season is still young, but thus far the return on the team's gargantuan investment in a new secondary has been extremely promising.  In the NFL, you very often don't get what you pay for in free agency.  Often you don't get anything close.  Fortunately for the Jets, the giant gobs of money they spent on the secondary this offseason is so far looking like money well spent.

>   http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/10/5/9453457/ny-jets-getting-what-we-paid-for

Watching the game on Sunday against the Miami Dolphins, did you notice how the Fins made a habit of running plays on third and long that were designed to fail?  That is, how many times did Miami throw the ball several yards short of the first down marker on third and long and then hope and pray the receiver would "make a play"  ?  How did that work out for them?  Not so good, right ?

Now, this isn't meant to be a gloating at the enemy, look how dumb their play calling was article.  Because, of course, Jets fans have little to gloat about in this regard.  How many years have we suffered from the same affliction, constantly throwing four yard passes on third and eight and wondering why the coaches thought this was a high percentage play to make a first down ?  Do you remember the countless Sundays we watched as a succession of offensive coordinators called these plays over and over, with predictable results ?  Now think about this: do you remember the last time the Jets ran a similar play on third and long since Todd Bowles and Chan Gailey took over the offense?  I don't.  I'm sure it's been done, I just can't recall when off the top of my head.  And that's a good thing.  For the first time in what seems like an eternity, third down plays are being designed and run with the idea that maybe we should attempt to move the ball past the first down marker.  What a revolutionary idea.

Maybe it's the new coaching staff.  Maybe it's the new quarterback.  Maybe it's the improved pass protection.  Maybe it's the improved offensive weapons.  Maybe it's a combination of some or all of these things.  Whatever it is, doesn't it feel like the end of an era  ?  And doesn't that feel good  ?

>    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/10/5/9453079/ny-jets-end-of-an-era?ref=yfp

Todd Bowles took one page from the Rex Ryan playbook for the bye week.

Other than that, it seems he and the Jets have shredded that manual and thrown it out.

In a very Rex-like move, Bowles gave his players five days off during the bye, one more than the NFL mandates. And the Jets didn't hold any practices before they parted ways.They looked Tuesday at the tape of their victory over Miami and then were allowed to go their separate ways until reconvening for practice Monday, when they will begin working toward their next opponent. The Jets will host Washington on Oct. 18.Ryan rarely worked his players very hard during the bye week, giving them six days off during four of his six years as coach. Yet Bowles' move makes sense, considering the Jets are coming off a draining trip overseas after beating the Dolphins in London on Sunday.Plus, several players were hurt in that game, so the Jets would have been short-handed at practice anyway.

Bowles said Monday on a conference call that, in a perfect world, he usually would prefer to have the bye in Week 8. But he also acknowledged that this was a good time for the bye because of the injuries and the overseas trip.But Bowles didn't sound at all like his predecessor on a conference call Monday when he was asked about the Jets' 3-1 beginning — their first such start since 2010."We understand that we've only played one quarter of the season and all we did was get off to a good start," Bowles said. "We haven't accomplished anything.

"We've got a long way to go," he added.

Contrast that with Ryan. Given the same circumstances, he at the very least would have talked about how the rest of the NFL needs to watch out for the Jets. That is, if he didn't guarantee a Super Bowl appearance.

Bowles' attitude seems to have rubbed off on his players.

"We look at it as a 16-round fight," linebacker Demario Davis said. "We've done well through the first four rounds. We just want to fix the things we haven't done so well and keep building."Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick noted how it seemed to some people that "the sky was falling" after the Jets lost to Philadelphia in Week 3."The undefeated season was gone and all of that," Fitzpatrick said. "It's just another week and we happened to win this [Miami] game. A very important thing in the NFL is just to keep everything in perspective. It's such a week-by-week deal."Sage words from an 11-year veteran. Things can change very quickly in the NFL, and they sometimes did for the Jets under Ryan. While his impassioned, emotional approach often got the Jets to play over their heads in certain games, it also led to letdowns the week after.

Bowles said he believes this team has a "mature" attitude, and said, "We're working on how to become a cohesive unit and how to win ballgames. We still have to get better from a penalties standpoint, and our guys know that."The Jets had 14 penalties for 163 yards against Miami."We've done a lot of good things" on defense, Davis said, "and there are things that we're still trying to clean up."Three-and-one isn't going to get you where you want to go," Davis added, downplaying the Jets' successful start. "You're not going to know where you are until the end of the season. Everybody in this league knows that real football kind of starts in November."But finding the proper attitude starts much earlier, during the summer. And the Jets appear to have that under Bowles.

>   http://www.northjersey.com/sports/football/gang-green-low-key-about-early-successes-1.1426784

Now that we're a quarter of the way through the season, I'd like to take a look at how the team is doing position by position. As a frame of reference, I'll be using my preseason expectations for each unit and see how they did comparatively. After week 9, I'll see how they stack up again. I'm not a talent scout and I've had limited time to watch the games, so forgive me if you don't agree completely. Some positions are fluid (H-back Quincy Enunwa will be graded with the tight ends, for example), so naturally I lumped them in wherever I felt like it. Let's get to it :

Grading Scale:

A - Top 3 unit

B - Above average to great

C - Around league average

D - Below average to poor

F - Holding the team back

Quarterbacks

Preseason Expectations: C-

First Quarter Grade: D-

After a tumultuous offseason, Geno Smith found his way to the bench without taking a single snap in a game. Honestly, my expectations for Fitzpatrick were probably too high coming into this season. I didn't expect Geno or Fitz to light the world on fire, but I thought we had a solid shot of avoiding a bottom 10 quarterback this year. Now I can't speak towards Geno, but Fitzpatrick has been a disappointment on the field. While he has done enough to not lose, Fitz is clearly holding the team back. I never thought he would be a game manager, but I didn't realize how awkward a gunslinger without arm strength would look. His weak arm and tendency to lock on to one read didn't show quite as much in preseason, but they're painfully obvious in games. Still, Geno Smith isn't exactly a top 10 (20, 25, 30?) QB in waiting, and Bryce Petty starting would be a nightmare. Through 4 games, it's clear that this will have to be a team that carries its quarterback and not the other way around. Still, I really like Fitz off the field and he seems to command respect from his teammates. Hopefully he can be our Trent Dilfer.

Running Backs

Preseason Expectations: C+

First Quarter Grade: B-

Recency bias really makes me want to give this group a high grade. Chris Ivory was simply unstoppable against the Dolphins, but the Jets runners haven't been particularly dominant in other games. Jets running backs have 457 yards in 4 games, averaging about 114 yards per game. The running game is entirely reliant on Ivory, who is averaging 5 yards per carry and over 100 yards per game. Meanwhile, Powell (who has done some nice things as a receiver, to be fair) is averaging 3.9 yards per carry while Stacy has averaged just 1.4 yards per carry and Bohannon has 2 attempts for 2 yards and no first downs. Without Ivory, the running game collapsed against the Eagles, producing only 47 rushing yards on only 16 attempts (with the highest YPA being Fitzpatrick.) Ivory is an absolute beast with the ball in his hands. When it's not (aka he is blocking or receiving), he is one of the worst backs in the league. When he's not healthy, the Jets have one of the worst rushing attacks in the league. So how does that reflect on the unit as a whole? Solid between the tackles when Ivory is healthy, but poor at everything else and miserable if Ivory goes down. Side note: I hope Bohannon's blocking keeps improving. He might even be worth a roster spot. But probably not.

Wide Receiver

Preseason Expectations: B-

First Quarter Grade: B+

While this grade may seem high to some, keep in mind how much the receivers done with so little. Fitzpatrick is hardly an elite quarterback and both starting receivers are playing with him for the first time. Brandon Marshall has caught 30 of 43 targets for 400 yards and 3 TDs. Decker has caught 14 of 19 targets for almost 200 yards and 3 TDs in 3 games. While Marshall did have a boneheaded fumble, he also had a game changing forced fumble. They have also forced 4 penalties while committing none. Meanwhile, the Jets don't have much to offer from the tight ends and running backs in terms of receiving, meaning that their receivers have to carry the load. Simply put, Marshall and Decker have been dominant. Both Kerley and Owusu were effective in limited usage, though Smith has been pretty disappointing in his limited action. This is to be expected of a rookie who misses training camp with an injury, though. If not for injuries, this group could probably have managed an A grade and I'm hoping they prove themselves worthy in the near future.

Tight Ends

Preseason Expectations: D+

First Quarter Grade: F

Jets fans had a lot of expectations for Jace Amaro coming into the season. After being stashed down on the depth chart, Bowles revealed that he wasn't going to be used as an inline tight end, but that he'd still have a large role receiving. A season-ending injury later, and the Jets best options at tight end are Jeff Cumberland and converted receiver Quincy Enunwa. And then Cumberland gets hurt. All in all, the Jets tight ends have been poor blockers and almost nonexistent in the passing game. Enunwa may be the worst receiving H-back in the NFL despite taking 86 receiving snaps against just 2 pass blocking snaps. Through 4 games, Enunwa is the only player in the NFL with fewer than 10 "catchable" targets with 3 or more drops. Meanwhile, the combination of Cumberland, Davis, and Saxton have essentially no positive impact when compared to teams with legitimate threats at tight end. Davis and Cumberland have done better than expected as blockers at time, but that's really the only positive that I can find from this group. At best, the Jets appear to have a bottom 5 TE group. At worst...well, it gets self explanatory there.

Offensive Line

Preseason Expectations: C-

First Quarter Grade: C+

I'll admit that I'm not really all that qualified to judge offensive line play. I've never personally played in the trenches and offensive line play is arguably the most difficult to judge. Coming into the season, I had very low expectations for our offensive line. Through 4 games, however, PFF hasn't credited a single lineman with a sack allowed. In fact, Fitzpatrick has only been sacked twice on the season. Still, both tackles have struggled and been beaten badly at times. Mangold has been good, but hasn't had the kind of incredible impact that he did in 2014. The guards have actually been much better than I expected, with Carpenter being an especially nice surprise. There have been too many hurries and QB hits, but honestly, the pass blocking has been a lot better than expected (though the Jets have not gone up against especially good pass rushing teams.) The run blocking hasn't been all that impressive, however, whatever the box score may say. Without Ivory running for absurd yardage after contact, the Jets running game would likely be mediocre to poor. Still, the line has been a lot better than I expected it would be just a couple months ago.

Defensive Line

Preseason Expectations: A

First Quarter Grade: B+

Immediately after the draft, the Jets had a legitimate claim to the NFL's best defensive line. Sheldon Richardson's suspension may not have ruined the Jets' D line, but it did hurt its production. The Jets' run defense dropped from 5th in yards per game to 12th. Meanwhile, the sack production decreased pretty dramatically with defensive lineman only producing 4 sacks combined through 4 games while the team is averaging fewer than 2 sacks per game (on pace for 17 fewer than last season despite a vastly improved secondary.) With all that said, Muhammad Wilkerson and Leonard Williams have dominated. Wilkerson has been making a strong case for a lucrative contract, totaling 3.5 sacks, 21 tackles, and a forced fumble. Williams hasn't shown up much in the stats sheet, but he's been a disruptive force nonetheless, at times living in the offense's backfield. In fact, they've been so dominant that they rank 2 and 6 respectively on PFF's 3-4 DE list (as per usual, Watt is #1.) Damon Harrison hasn't had a great contract season, on the other hand, but he's done enough. The unit as a whole struggled against a strong Browns offensive line in week 1, but played well against 3 very poor offensive lines in the following weeks. The depth players have been solid if not spectacular, but the 2 Ws have really been in a league of their own. A lack of sack production and average run defense production drop this unit from a top 3 group to a top 5-10 one. One can only imagine that the return of Sheldon Richardson will put this unit over the top and into the A range.

Linebackers

First Quarter Grade: C

This is a tough group to grade because there has been a lot of mediocre to poor play. On the other hand, David Harris has been an absolute monster. Not only is Harris the Jets' leading tackler, he also has more sacks than the entire team combined excluding Wilkerson. And to top it off, he leads the team in forced fumbles with 2 in just 4 games. Harris has been the biggest surprise of the season and is making a great case for an All Pro mention. Meanwhile, fellow inside linebacker Demario Davis has been hard to watch at times. Davis has been burned badly in coverage and has repeatedly making costly mistakes, earning the only Anti-Game Ball of the year. Outside linebackers have been more or less invisible, while Coples has seen his snaps diminish. There's been some pressure, but outside linebackers have contributed exactly 1 total sack (a coverage sack by Trevor Reilly.) The pass rush has mostly leaned on the defensive line while the linebackers have been victimized in coverage. All in all, it hasn't been pretty. But Harris' incredible resurgence buoys this unit into mediocrity.

Cornerbacks

Preseason Expectations: A-

First Quarter Grade: A

The Jets' defense as a whole has been simply smothering. A large part of this is due to the secondary, which was more or less entirely purchased in free agency. While the corners have certainly made mistakes, the Jets are leading the NFL in points allowed per game by a ridiculous 3.4 points. The most points given up in a single game came at the hands of the Eagles, who scored only 17 points on offense. The Jets lead the NFL in passer rating of opposing QBs, rank 1st in completion percentage allowed, 2nd in yards allowed (behind by 1 yard in 4 games), and 3rd in interceptions. Revis is playing at an All Pro level and Skrine has shown why Maccagnan gave him such a large contract. Cromartie has struggled at times, but the unit as a whole is easily a top 3 group, if not the best in football right now. Marcus Williams has also been extremely impressive in limited snaps, recording 2 clutch interceptions despite his minimal playing time. Revis may not be 2009 Revis and Cromartie may get beat badly now and then, but the Jets CBs have smothered opponents and earned a near perfect rating.

Safeties

First Quarter Grade: B-

The position group that has impressed me the most as a whole is definitely the safeties. I came into the season expecting nothing from Pryor and very little from Gilchrist. Yet the safeties have actually played well above projections through 4 games. While Calvin Pryor has blown the occasional assignment, he also had a gamechanging forced fumble in which he demolished Josh McCown in week 1. Pryor is also third on the team in tackles and has shown a lot more than most fans could reasonably have expected of him. Gilchrist worried me in preseason, but he's made a few nice plays here and there and hasn't given up a lot over the top. Both starters have recorded an interception and rank top 5 on the team in tackles. The backups haven't seen all that much action, and that's a good thing. Midseason addition Dion Bailey deserves a shoutout for his impressive play in game 4 under trying circumstances, though.

Kickers

Preseason Expectations: B

First Quarter Grade: C

I'm not going to talk about kickers all that much, but the units haven't been great. Quigley has done a decent job with distance and hang time, but he's been outkicking the awful punt coverage and his drop in net yardage represents that. Nick Folk has been disappointing thus far, having missed 2 of his 8 attempts already. The Jets aren't dealing with missed extra points and game losing missed field goals, but the kicking hasn't lived up to last season either. Overall, the unit is pretty meh.

Special Teams

Preseason Expectations: C+

First Quarter Grade: D-

I'll keep this brief; the special teams groups have been very bad. Offensively, the Jets are 27th in kickoff return average and 15th in punt return average (tied for 7th in fair catches, however.) On defense, the Jets are second to last in average punt return yardage and have already given up a touchdown in which half the team missed a tackle on Darren Sproles. The coverage teams have been terrible and the Jets are so desperate for a kickoff returner that Zac Stacy has been returning kicks. Kerley has shown a lot more life as a punt returner than in the past, but no one is afraid when he's waiting on the ball. I'm not the kind of person who puts huge emphasis on special teams, but when your special teams units are hurting so badly, the entire team is going to suffer for it. The Jets have given up 442 yards and 7 points to kicks and returns while the defense has given up 1121 yards and 55 points despite a bevy of turnovers. If the special teams units were improved upon, the Jets defense might be the unquestioned #1 defense in the NFL right now.

Summary

The sum of the parts has been enough to produce a 3-1 record and #6 rating in net points. The team has looked playoff caliber thus far, though it's important to remember that their opponents have all struggled mightily thus far. Only the Colts have more than 1 win, and they've only beaten the teams in their division (who are all terrible) and by tiny margins. Not a single team beaten by the Jets has a positive net points margin, with the Eagles being the closest while sitting at 1-3 (-8.) The QB position is a glaring weakness and injuries at RB and WR could cripple the team. But with all that pessimism out of the way, this is easily the best start to a season that the Jets have had since 2010. The Jets defense has allowed 48 points in 4 games (excluding the punt return), which averages fewer than 2 points per game more than the all time NFL record setting 2000 Baltimore defense. The Jets are 15th in yards per game and 16th in points per game on offense, numbers that seem unstoppable when compared to recent years. If the Jets can continue to play at this level, this is a playoff team without question. Add Sheldon Richardson to the mix, and fans have a lot to be excited about this year.

>      http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/10/9/9483669/ny-jets-the-first-quarter

• 2 weeks later...

Other than defensive rankings and late-night tweaks by former talk-show host David Letterman, the New York Jets haven't cracked many top-10 lists in recent years. But look what we have here :

In the new ESPN NFL Power Rankings, the Jets (4-1) have climbed to No. 8, jumping three spots from last week. That's pretty impressive, considering five of the top seven spots are occupied by undefeated teams. The only defeated teams ahead of the Jets are the Arizona Cardinals (4-2) at No. 4 and the Atlanta Falcons (5-1) at No. 7.

The No. 1 team? Come on, you know the answer to that. It's the Jets' opponent Sunday -- the New England Patriots (5-0).

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55198/newyork-jets-crack-a-top-10-list-and-no-one-is-laughing

Archived