I hate that no matter what time, what day, what year....

CobraVerde

I understsnd that but seeing another sport in yankee Stadium is interesting to people.

20-25 K should be tops for MOST teams, some places like Seattle can support more but most need stadiums w/ the capacity of Arenas.

baseball isn't going anywhere, football isn't going anywhere.  until our best athletes play soccer it won't even be in the discussion w/ the major sports. 

No doubt.

I agree and disagree with your last two points.  

I agree that Football is the king and baseball has been around for almost 150 years.

I disagree on the athlete part.  Soccer players are athletes and I think due to the growth of the game over the last 50 years, soccer is seeing better athletes now.

No doubt.

I agree and disagree with your last two points.  

I agree that Football is the king and baseball has been around for almost 150 years.

I disagree on the athlete part.  Soccer players are athletes and I think due to the growth of the game over the last 50 years, soccer is seeing better athletes now.

I am not saying soccer players aren't good/great athletes.  what I am saying is our best athletes in this Country play football and basketball not any of the other sports for the most part. 

iDon't worry about it.  Baseball is only relevant now in about 6-8 markets, mostly in the Northeast and Midwest.  Baseball only has about another 20 years of major sport relevance.  The Baby Boomers are the last true baseball generation.  When they are gone, baseball will die.  Younger generations don't have the patience to watch a 3.5 hour collection of conferences at the mound, pitchers warming up, pickoff attempts, chew/sunflower seed spitting, and nuts scratching. A boring, outdated game....

I still like baseball, but don't follow it the way I used to. What is now apparent is MLB makes money because for almost 3 months it's the only sports programming in North America. But it's all become too damn much. the season and the games are too long, and the wildcard nonsense is out of hand. You could've ended the season a week or 2 ago and there wouldn't have been any real change in the standings.Having this September death march  is pointless.  And the ratings and interest compared to the NFL and college football head to head is not even close. 

We discussed this a bit during the World Cup, and I've come around to thinking that may be not in my lifetime but sometime midcentury soccer could  surpass baseball in popularity in this country.It will take better developmental programs than we have now. But look at it in these terms; the 1980 US win in Olympic hockey grew that game by leaps and bounds in the US in a few decades. Soccer needs something like that, the US to have a serious WC run.

One big issue that's a double-edged sword ; Latino players in the US. The idea that tomorrow night in the Rose Bowl the US team will be treated like visitors in their own country vs. Mexico hurts, a lot. In any other sport, that would be unthinkable. 

What are you talking about baseball doesn't rely on American kids?  America is still the biggest talent pool even with other countries supplying players.  Soccer is exploding in popularity in this country because the newer generations of kids are being pussified.  Go to a Sounders game in Seattle with 75,000 people at Centurylink Field. 

"Pussified" you say?  Baseball is way more vaginal than "football. "  Pansies are outta breath after running a lousy 90 feet and spend two weeks on the DL for a broken nail.  Now I ask you, which is the real sissy sport?

Oh wait... I forgot about the bloody sock.  (eyeroll)

"Pussified" you say?  Baseball is way more vaginal than "football. "  Pansies are outta breath after running a lousy 90 feet and spend two weeks on the DL for a broken nail.  Now I ask you, which is the real sissy sport?

Soccer is the sport kids in high school kids play because they're too scared to play football.

I still like baseball, but don't follow it the way I used to. What is now apparent is MLB makes money because for almost 3 months it's the only sports programming in North America. But it's all become too damn much. the season and the games are too long, and the wildcard nonsense is out of hand. You could've ended the season a week or 2 ago and there wouldn't have been any real change in the standings.Having this September death march  is pointless.  And the ratings and interest compared to the NFL and college football head to head is not even close. 

We discussed this a bit during the World Cup, and I've come around to thinking that may be not in my lifetime but sometime midcentury soccer could  surpass baseball in popularity in this country.It will take better developmental programs than we have now. But look at it in these terms; the 1980 US win in Olympic hockey grew that game by leaps and bounds in the US in a few decades. Soccer needs something like that, the US to have a serious WC run.

One big issue that's a double-edged sword ; Latino players in the US. The idea that tomorrow night in the Rose Bowl the US team will be treated like visitors in their own country vs. Mexico hurts, a lot. In any other sport, that would be unthinkable. 

I'm always amazed when big-time baseball guys like Russo and Francesa criticize the nba for having a long season when the MLB season is twice as long.  If you count ST and playoffs baseball goes from February to late October.  That's insanely long. 

Kids just don't have the attention span these days to handle that.  Go to a baseball game anyone below the age of 30 is looking at their stupid phone the entire time.  You're probably going to see the MLS pass MLB in popularity in 1-2 generations and soccer is already taking a big bite out of the NFL's talent pool.

I'm always amazed when big-time baseball guys like Russo and Francesa criticize the nba for having a long season when the MLB season is twice as long.  If you count ST and playoffs baseball goes from February to late October.  That's insanely long. 

Kids just don't have the attention span these days to handle that.  Go to a baseball game anyone below the age of 30 is looking at their stupid phone the entire time.  You're probably going to see the MLS pass MLB in popularity in 1-2 generations and soccer is already taking a big bite out of the NFL's talent pool.

You do understand just how long the NBA season is when you count camp and play-offs like you did above for MLB above.... don't you?

I think you owe Russo and Francesa an apology. 

Needlessly long. There's no reason to play any regular season games after Labor Day. And it puts them head to head with the NFL and NCAA. and gets killed in very way. Seems to be playing in a lot of empty stadiums all September. The mets and Yankees, despite being in supposed playoff races, played to a lot of empty seats in NY. Again, 5 teams making the postseason cheapens the value of the regular season, so why does it have to be so long? And despite some minor changes, the games are too damn long. Put it this way; went out to dinner last night with the mrs. around the time the Mets/Dodgers started. Got home and caught up on some DVR stuff( IFC show "Benders" which is very funny, BTW) , and still saw the last 3 innings. How did they manage to play 9 inning playoff games in the 1960s and 70s in 2 hours 15 minutes and ow it's 3 + hours? Makes no sense at all.   NBA's issue is more that the playoffs don't seem to care about the regular season, the timeouts at the ned of the game take forever and the schedule for the postseason is needlessly long. Fair to point out the NBA hasn't fixed any of that. 

It blows my mind anybody talks about baseball period. That sport is 10 years away from being completely irrelevant. 

It blows my mind that someone can say something this silly just because they don't appreciate a sport this popular.

It blows my mind that someone can say something this silly just because they don't appreciate a sport this popular.

Judging strictly from the people I know my age (20-30) .... 0% of them have any appreciation for baseball. It's their daddy's sport.

Football is #1, Hockey is fast on the rise at #2 and baseball is in a tie with basketball at #3... Basketball would probably be more popular in NY if the Knicks and Nets were any good.

Once the old guard dies out it's a wrap for baseball. 

Judging strictly from the people I know my age (20-30) .... 0% of them have any appreciation for baseball. It's their daddy's sport.

Football is #1, Hockey is fast on the rise at #2 and baseball is in a tie with basketball at #3... Basketball would probably be more popular in NY if the Knicks and Nets were any good.

Hockey is my 2nd favorite sport.  But it's easily the 4th most popular sport in the US.  It's never going to pass Basketball or Baseball.  

And Baseball is easily more popular than any sport other than football.  Love the idea that baseball is an oldmans sport.  That's something a kid says

I don't see that happening until our best athletes stop playing basketball and football and start playing soccer.  when that happens we'll have a chance to win a WC and then I can see the sport growing into a major sport here.

soccer is.

Hockey at #2? where? in Canada?  hockey isn't even in the discussion w/ basketball and baseball. 

Maybe in like. Minnesota.  Hockey isn't even #4 in the south, Nascar is.  I'd argue Golf is about equal to hockey.

Golf equal to hockey? Idk. Pro golf tournaments are always on the major networks like NBC or CBS. Hockey is only on NBC for the cup final and maybe some conference final games.

You do understand just how long the NBA season is when you count camp and play-offs like you did above for MLB above.... don't you?

I think you owe Russo and Francesa an apology. 

I think the issue is more the playoffs.

Baseball playoffs began on the 6th and will finish on Nov 4th if the WS goes 7 games. 

NBA playoffs takes two months.  Too long.

Now that is a regional sport for you.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10354114/harris-poll-nfl-most-popular-mlb-2nd

NFL #1, MLB #2, NCAA Football #3, auto racing #4, NBA #5, NHL #6 and NCAA Bball #7.  That is January 2014 and I do not see soccer there.  Even adding the college and NBA they are still more than 1/3 less than baseball. 

FWIW, football is football in Italy.  Soccer is calcio - which means kick. So stop ******* asking me if I played soccer!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10354114/harris-poll-nfl-most-popular-mlb-2nd

NFL #1, MLB #2, NCAA Football #3, auto racing #4, NBA #5, NHL #6 and NCAA Bball #7.  That is January 2014 and I do not see soccer there.  Even adding the college and NBA they are still more than 1/3 less than baseball. 

FWIW, football is football in Italy.  Soccer is calcio - which means kick. So stop ******* asking me if I played soccer!

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1546/Default.aspx

Harris disagrees with Rovell.

wnd_addd2693c837b063a473f5135ba3e67d.jpg

Golf equal to hockey? Idk. Pro golf tournaments are always on the major networks like NBC or CBS. Hockey is only on NBC for the cup final and maybe some conference final games.

and the numbers for golf, which is on every weekend are better than regular season hockey.  

Which is why hockey is rarely on and gold is on all the time.  They don't put shows that don't draw on in place of those that do.

and the numbers for golf, which is on every weekend are better than regular season hockey.  

Which is why hockey is rarely on and gold is on all the time.  They don't put shows that don't draw on in place of those that do.

the WNBA has similar ratings to hockey:D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived