the Jets' Special Teams

RoadFan

Others have mentioned it, but I felt this topic is worthy of its own thread.  Hopefully, some of you agree.  Wow.  Where to start?  Mike Westhoff would be lining up firing squads for these units.

Let's start with Quigley.  I find it absurd that the Jets haven't had a good punter in at least 20 years.  I cannot even remember the last quality punter.   

The punt coverage team is a catastrophe.   They let Darren Sproles wiggle out of a space the size of a phone booth while he was pressed up against the sideline.  That was actually a decent punt by Quigley.  How many missed tackles on that play?  Jarvis Landry's return was almost as bad.

Zac Stacy as the kick returner is embarrassing.  Stacy is fat, slow, and cumbersome.  Kick returners are supposed to be able to accelerate, possess top end speed, and make somebody miss.  Stacy has none of the above.  The Jets have to have somebody on the roster better than him.  If not, sign a guy off another team's practice squad.  

The kickoff coverage team is not a train wreck, but they aren't particularly good either.  Statistically, the Jets are in the middle of the pack but the first two guys never seem to make the tackle.  It usually requires a gang tackle around the 28.  This unit is serviceable but makes me plenty nervous since I am sure many of the same guys are on the punt coverage team.

A few, not many, of you have mentioned Folk missing a couple of kicks so far.  Personally, I am very confident in Folk and feel he is one of the better kickers in the league.  I would only choose a small handful of kickers ahead of Folk when the game is on the line.  Unfortunately, the Cheaters have one of them.  Gostkowski is a spectacular player.  Those select few that want to replace Folk, have you seen the awful kicking around the league this season?  Worst year in recent memory by a mile.  Teams tried to shave a few bucks off their salary by dumping veteran kickers for rookies.  Huge mistakes that some teams are paying dearly for. 

Edited by JoeC36
Edited titled
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Lots of complainers for fans of one of the top teams in football right now.

really poor taste bro

the team is 3-1.    deal with it

Guys, I am really pleased with this team thus far.  There is plenty of fluff to read on the board without my two cents.  However, the Jets margin for error against strong opponents does not allow for lousy special teams. Maybe they can clean up the coverage teams, or it might be a problem all season.   So be it.   Zac Stacy, on the other hand, should be a relatively easy fix.  I cannot believe he was the kick returner for a second straight week.  One return was all it took to see he was terrible back there.

Edited by RoadFan

Others have mentioned it, but I felt this topic is worthy of its own thread.  Hopefully, some of you agree.  Wow.  Where to start?  Mike Westhoff would be lining up firing squads for these units.

Let's start with Quigley.  I find it absurd that the Jets haven't had a good punter in at least 20 years.  I cannot even remember the last quality punter.   

The punt coverage team is a catastrophe.   They let Darren Sproles wiggle out of a space the size of a phone booth while he was pressed up against the sideline.  That was actually a decent punt by Quigley.  How many missed tackles on that play?  Jarvis Landry's return was almost as bad.

Zac Stacy as the kick returner is embarrassing.  Stacy is fat, slow, and cumbersome.  Kick returners are supposed to be able to accelerate, possess top end speed, and make somebody miss.  Stacy has none of the above.  The Jets have to have somebody on the roster better than him.  If not, sign a guy off another team's practice squad.  

The kickoff coverage team is not a train wreck, but they aren't particularly good either.  Statistically, the Jets are in the middle of the pack but the first two guys never seem to make the tackle.  It usually requires a gang tackle around the 28.  This unit is serviceable but makes me plenty nervous since I am sure many of the same guys are on the punt coverage team.

A few, not many, of you have mentioned Folk missing a couple of kicks so far.  Personally, I am very confident in Folk and feel he is one of the better kickers in the league.  I would only choose a small handful of kickers ahead of Folk when the game is on the line.  Unfortunately, the Cheaters have one of them.  Gostkowski is a spectacular player.  Those select few that want to replace Folk, have you seen the awful kicking around the league this season?  Worst year in recent memory by a mile.  Teams tried to shave a few bucks off their salary by dumping veteran kickers for rookies.  Huge mistakes that some teams are paying dearly for. 

Quigley for the most part is good for a shank per game and the punt coverage isn't helping his net yardage. That being said Owusu is our starting kick returner and he possesses top end speed unlike Stacy. You can make the argument that we were a tackle on a Sproles return away from being closer to 4-0. I get the concern but we're 3-1 and a far way away from all green uniforms hiding in the grass. Let's see what happens after the bye.

Poor taste doesn't even begin to describe the titling. You sir, are a dickbag.

I just wanted something catchy and clever.  Was not going for disrespectful.   The MODs can certainly change the title if people find it offensive.  My points, however, which several people chose to ignore are 100% accurate.

With age, and just a little experience riding around on this planet, most of us begin to see examples of the lottery that is human reproduction.  The odds of something going wrong are 1 in a hundred, but there are 100 things that can go wrong. So you just never know.  Until it's a member of your family.  Your perfectly normal kid brother or sister, with whom all your earliest memories are tied, starts to get ...different.   You ache for that person to do better; to have a normal life they deserve. But it doesn't happen, and they don't receive it.  This planet loves to sh*t on some of us like that. So you do all you really can do; remind them you love them and you cheer like hell when they win a competition of any kind.  You're not cheering because they're great at it, or even good at it...you're cheering because there isn't a person on this f**cking earth who deserves to smile more than they do.

• Upvote 1

I am usually the homer that mocks guys like OP for complaining when we are 3-1, but Zac Stacy as a kick returner is a disaster and an embarrassment. It's not like we are carrying 5 RBs and need to find a place to use Stacy. 

Also if we have Stacy active because we are unsure of Ivory, why expose Stacy to injuries on special teams. Makes zero sense. Not to mention Quigley is below average and our kick coverage has been a problem for 2 weeks. Maybe Westhoff will come out of retirement.