Jets relax during bye week, a Rex-tension of the Ryan way ? ? ?

kelly

Welcome to the New York Jets' bye week, a time for rest and -- in past years -- criticism.

Rex Ryan's bye-week strategy always was dissected because, quite frankly, the results were terrible. Under Ryan, the Jets were 1-5 coming off the bye, including a current three-game losing streak in which they were outscored 103-24.Ryan took a lot of heat for being too soft on the players. From 2009 to 2011, he practiced only one day, giving the players a six-day respite -- two more than the league requirement. In 2012, there were no practices and seven days off, although Ryan claimed his plans were disrupted by Hurricane Sandy.

In 2013, Ryan -- stubborn as ever -- returned to the six-day rest. Because that wasn't enough time for the players to clear their minds, he took them to a Dave & Buster's in Buffalo on the eve of their first post-bye game. They got blown out by the Bills, fueling more criticism.He had little choice last season but to make the players actually practice during the bye week. At 2-8, it would've been a bad optic to grant a vacation, so they practiced twice, followed by the mandatory four days off. They still got blown out, an embarrassing loss to the Bills in Detroit. The game was re-located to Detroit because of a snowstorm in Buffalo.

Which brings us to this year and new coach Todd Bowles. For his first bye, Bowles is taking the Rex route. The players reported Tuesday for film review, but there will be no practices this week. They're off until Monday, a seven-day break from field work. It's a little surprising -- he talked about having one or two practices -- but he decided rest was more important than practice.This year's bye is unique because they're coming off a game in London, creating an entirely different set of circumstances. Their body clocks need to be re-adjusted and their actual bodies -- banged-up in a physical win over the Miami Dolphins -- could use the down time.

In other words, it can be justified. Under Ryan, who had a home game preceding five of the six byes, there was no excuse for the cushy philosophy.The Jets like to think they have a new culture under Bowles, who is different from Ryan in so many ways. He can help set himself apart from his predecessor by actually winning a game after the bye.

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54842/jets-relax-during-bye-week-a-rex-tension-of-the-ryan-way

Really?

I've seen Kelly posting for a decade on various Jets websites.  I thought she was a 21 year old Swedish chick who never ages.

Man, now I lost my boner.  :(

Dam, and I'm thinking the chick in his signature is named Kelly.  lmao

Please, this'll be nothing like the "Ryan Way". Yes, while Bowles IS letting their bodies rest, he's not going to let their minds rest too much. I have it on good authority that Bowles likes to leave anonymous, threatening messages on all the players' voicemails to keep them on their toes. There is no such thing as complacency under the Bowles regime.

Please, this'll be nothing like the "Ryan Way". Yes, while Bowles IS letting their bodies rest, he's not going to let their minds rest too much. I have it on good authority that Bowles likes to leave anonymous, threatening messages on all the players' voicemails to keep them on their toes. There is no such thing as complacency under the Bowles regime.

Lmao @ anonymous threatening messages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way this article is written you would think Rex invented giving players some time off in the bye week >,>

I'm sure Bowles took a page out of Ryans book and not because the team is 3-1 and earned the week off, key word earned...

I dont care if Bowles takes them to Dave and Busters before the game! As long as they come out ready to play the Redskins its all good me.

I dont care if Bowles takes them to Dave and Busters before the game! As long as they come out ready to play the Redskins its all good me.

Wouldn't it be great if Bowles took them to D&B before the Buffalo game and we still mop the floor with the Bills?

I'd feel so complete.

Wouldn't it be great if Bowles took them to D&B before the Buffalo game and we still mop the floor with the Bills?

I'd feel so complete.

I want Bowles to do it so bad now. It will be like smacking Rex directly in the face saying im a better coach than you.

he talked about having one or two practices -- but he decided rest was more important than practice.This year's bye is unique because they're coming off a game in London, creating an entirely different set of circumstances. Their body clocks need to be re-adjusted and their actual bodies -- banged-up in a physical win over the Miami Dolphins -- could use the down time.

The New York Jets reached the quarter mark of the season with a 3-1 record. A quick review:

MVP: Chris Ivory. It's rare for the Jets to have an offensive player win this category, but there's no denying Ivory's impact. He's the NFL's third-leading rusher (314 yards), not bad considering he missed a game. He leads the league in yards-after-contact per rush (2.94). All you need to know about Ivory is this: The offense fell apart without him against Philadelphia.

Biggest Surprise: Buster Skrine. He built a solid reputation during his years with Cleveland, but Skrine has exceeded expectations in New York. He does everything. He can cover the slot and the outside, and he's the best blitzer on the team. In the win over Miami, Skrine blitzed 12 times, rattling Ryan Tannehill with his well-disguised rushes. He's already well respected by his teammates.

Biggest Disappointment: Quinton Coples. The former No. 1 pick frustrates teammates because his production doesn't match his talent. Coples has more penalties (a team-high four) than solo tackles (three). His playing time has dipped, although coach Todd Bowles claimed it has nothing to do with performance. It's worth keeping an eye on.

Best Play: Brandon Marshall's strip in Week 1. His quick reaction to an interception -- ripping the ball loose from safety Tashaun Gipson -- was a game-changing play in the victory over Cleveland. It set up the first touchdown of the season and it showed the fans that Marshall is a team player, not the "me" guy from Chicago.

Worst Play: Yep, Marshall again. This time it was his ill-advised lateral against the Eagles -- "probably the worst play in NFL history," he called it. It wasn't that ugly, but it was bad enough to make our little list. At least he owned it.

Best Off-Season Addition: Darrelle Revis. He cost half a mint ($39 million, fully guaranteed), but his presence has changed the dynamic on defense. He already has been involved in five of the 13 takeaways by the defense -- two interceptions and three fumble recoveries.

Worst Off-Season Addition: Stevan Ridley. It's too early to draw a conclusion -- he still could turn out to be a key role player -- but for now he's just an injured guy, waiting for a shot. His return from knee injury took longer than expected; he's eligible to come off the physically-unable-to-perform list in Week 7.

Most Improved: Calvin Pryor. This was a no-brainer. As a rookie, Pryor made no splashy plays. In Year 2, he already has a key forced fumble and an interception. He still needs to clean up his tackling, but the Jets are happy with his improvement.

Best Coaching Decision: (Tie) Bowles made a tone-setting move by releasing IK Enemkpali immediately after he punched out Geno Smith. Bowles also deserves points for the way he has handled the Ryan Fitzpatrick-Smith situation. After sending mixed messages in the offseason, he has clarified the quarterback position. No confusion, no controversy. Fitzpatrick is a better fit than Smith. Period.

Worst Coaching Decision: It still doesn't make sense why Jeremy Kerley is buried on the bench. Granted, he's not an every-down receiver, but he still can make plays and contribute on offense. None of the other backups are lighting it up, as Chris Owusu, Quincy Enunwa and Devin Smith have combined for only 15 catches. Kerley had six catches in the one game he was granted a "Get-out-of-jail free" card.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54854/chris-ivory-darrelle-revis-head-our-quarter-season-awards

Kelly, you are so pretty.

Will you go out with me?

Kelly's a dude ya homo.

Really?

I've seen Kelly posting for a decade on various Jets websites.  I thought she was a 21 year old Swedish chick who never ages.

Man, now I lost my boner.  :(

Dam, and I'm thinking the chick in his signature is named Kelly.  lmao

no ..thanx,..once was more than enough    :P

This is the best exchange I have seen here. Classic.  LOL

Archived