Fitz got an insanely high QBR of 91.4 against Miami

Jetsbb

lol never said good.  Average at best.  He is what he is, he isn't changing, but he's the best we've got.  How many threads do people feel the need to do battle over a QB situation that isn't changing?

the funny thing is I LIKE Fitz, I am rooting for him.  His teammates seem to love him, he comes across great in interviews.  I want him to succeed but I want to win and I am happy we are 3-1 but he needs to play better as the sched gets tougher.  he has all the tools around him to succeed.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol never said good.  Average at best.  He is what he is, he isn't changing, but he's the best we've got.  How many threads do people feel the need to do battle over a QB situation that isn't changing?

agree with all that. And I'm done with the Geno/fitz sh*t also. I know they both aren't good. But this business with his top 10 qb rating is nonsense and u know it. He is average at best. But he hasn't been his best. So he's been well below average. 

cmon man, he isnt great but he is competant and believe it or not, the other 10 guys in the huddle tend to feed off a QB that knows what the **** he is doing... Give the guy a bit of credit...

His teammates do seem to respond to him and that is big but the bets thing I can say about him on the field after 4 weeks is I like the way he has managed to scramble.

agree with all that. And I'm done with the Geno/fitz sh*t also. I know they both aren't good. But this business with his top 10 qb rating is nonsense and u know it. He is average at best. But he hasn't been his best. So he's been well below average. 

Until such time as Fitz falters badly, badly enough to warrant Bowles considering Geno again, there really is no "Geno/Fitz sh*t" in the first place beyond fan over-analysis and obsession stuff.

Fitz is the starter, we're 3-1.  If Fitz fails badly int he future, we'll see Geno,

That's really the long and short of it, so what is there really to discuss anyway, right?

the funny thing is I LIKE Fitz, I am rooting for him.  His teammates seem to love him, he comes across great in interviews.  I want him to succeed but I want to win and I am happy we are 3-1 but he needs to play better as the sched gets tougher.  he has all the tools around him to succeed.

very well said. 

I'll take a top 15 QB after what we've had at the position for the previous 6 years. Gladly. 

ryan fitzpatrick is not a top 15 qb. Or even top 20. 

Lets look at the numbers

#29th in the league in quarterback rating (you know the one the nfl uses,not the qbr in the OP that is only recognized by espn)
#25th in yards per game
#3 in most ints
#26th in completition percentage
Tied for #28-30th in yards per attempt

These are indisputably bottom 5 qb numbers. This is who fitz is. Hes a bad qb with a weak arm who makes poor decisions with worse throws. We are winning inspite of him. 

And no,Im no saying geno would be better,he may be worse in fact. But ryan is 32 years old and is on the downside of a horrible career where hes had no success wherever he has been.

he's been hurting us most of the year, b/c we have won doesn't change that.  we were +4 midway through the 4th at Indy and led just 10-7.  he missed a million plays vs. philly that would have changed that game, last week we dominated Miami yet w/ plenty of time to play Miami had a 1st and G from our 2.  we have won and should be thankful for that but let's be honest- the QB has struggled and we haven't played any good teams yet.  he has to play A LOT better if we are going to be a playoff team.

Better than "Geno has to play A LOT better if we are going to be a .500 team"

QBR is just one of several metrics used to judge a QB.  I think what you're failing to recognize is just how bad QB play has been league-wide.  That's a big reason why Fitz is passing the numbers test but not really looking great based on the eye test.  Guys like Tannehill, Flacco, Stafford, Bradford, Alex Smith, Vick, Kaepernick, Cutler, Eli........Those guys have been directly costing their teams games this year with how they've played.  I imagine some of them will rise up and Fitz's numbers will fall.  But that doesn't mean Fitz is horrible.

I am not saying change to geno but why is geno a lost cause? has Geno ever played w/ talent like this and an OC like Gailey?  Fitz has limitations w/ his arm that will only get bigger as the weather gets colder and windier.

I never played with talent. maybe i should send in my pee wee tape. i deserve a shot!

Or to misrepresent the argument and build a strawman that anyone is saying that Fitz is elite. If you have to misstate your opponent's argument, your own argument is weak and you know it.

ryan fitzpatrick is not a top 15 qb. Or even top 20. 

Lets look at the numbers

#29th in the league in quarterback rating (you know the one the nfl uses,not the qbr in the OP that is only recognized by espn)
#25th in yards per game
#3 in most ints
#26th in completition percentage
Tied for #28-30th in yards per attempt

These are indisputably bottom 5 qb numbers. This is who fitz is. Hes a bad qb with a weak arm who makes poor decisions with worse throws. We are winning inspite of him. 

And no,Im no saying geno would be better,he may be worse in fact. But ryan is 32 years old and is on the downside of a horrible career where hes had no success wherever he has been.

Looking at ESPN's QBR rankings, its clear that they factor in how a QB uses his legs to get first downs as being a pretty big factor.  Right now Fitz is # 1 in the NFL in their "Run EPA" (EPA = Expected Points Added).  They estimate that Fitz's ability to extend drives by running has handed the team an extra "clutch weighted" 3.0 points per game, with Russell Wilson and Teddy Bridgewater next in line at 2.2.

No gifts? he's been throwing it up for grabs, he's lucky he doesn't have 4-5 more INts.

But, he doesn't. That's what some of you don't seem to understand. 

Hypothetical stats don't matter. We could have hypothetically lost all 4 games even if he hypothetically had a QBR over 100. Neither happened.

I prefer to talk about the actual outcomes, not the hypothetical outcomes that make some of you pee down your leg. When he starts throwing the ball to parts of the field where there is NO other Jet but a defender just standing there waiting for it, I'll worry. For now, he's leading us to wins, in spite of not playing perfect football. I think, given that the first quarter of the season is always rocky, that there is a realistic chance the whole team gets even better... if we're lucky.

I am not saying change to geno but why is geno a lost cause? has Geno ever played w/ talent like this and an OC like Gailey?  Fitz has limitations w/ his arm that will only get bigger as the weather gets colder and windier.

Geno has limitations with his brain and attitude. I'll take the weaker arm and the bigger heart.

it's cute that u like to pump ur chest around here , policing threads and whatnot. But behind that JN elder statesman costume u wear I thought that on rare occasions that u actually talked football that u had some knowledge. But this tells me that u quite possibly don't even watch the games. 

Before in my mind u were a jerk with substance. Now u don't even have that. 

I'm the one that makes it personal tho

That's nice but Fitzpatrick has a lot of work to do.  In the MIA game he left a ton of

plays on the field

I'll take missing out on points over handing the opposition points (in the form of pick 6's and fumbles).  Which of Fitz's turnovers have resulted in a short field for an opponent?  Yes, this is a ridiculously low standard for a QB to meet.  But the sad truth is our prior two starting QB's failed time and again to keep horrific, game-changing turnovers from happening.  Which is why Geno continues to ride the pine, and will continue to do so until Fitz gets hurt or starts directly costing us games.

His teammates do seem to respond to him and that is big but the bets thing I can say about him on the field after 4 weeks is I like the way he has managed to scramble.

lots of things to like and yes, he doesnt have the accuracy that the elite QBs have.  So much more to the QB position but he gives his guys a chance on most of his throws.   Hopefully with more time practicing with Smith he can build some chemistry as he has with Marshall and Decker.

He's not gonna be able to run around like he did every game. If he continues on that trend Geno will be in there & Fitzy will be on injured reserve. Love the moxie and the fact that Gaileys spread offense opens lanes but Fitz ain't no runner.

Shiiiit - he looked Randall Cunningham out there. 

Shiiiit - he looked Randall Cunningham out there. 

You laugh, but it's actually one of his best traits.  He has the tendency to run at the right times and pick up first downs.  What's not to like about that aspect of his game? 

Remember when we used to hire people just to show Sanchez how to slide?  Good times.

Not only that, but a lot of them were balls where the WR could have made a play on them, or tipped the ball. In other words, Fitz isn't just throwing the ball directly to a defender. He's throwing to our WRs and if it's an INT, more often than not, the defender had to make a good play on it. No gifts.

Meh, he's lucky he doesnt have more.  He's thrown up more jump balls where either the defender or the receiver could come down with it over a 4 week period than I've ever seen from a QB.  Many of them, with no chance to make a play on the ball.  He literally cant stop throwing the ball up for grabs when there is one on one coverage.  It's like an automatic reaction.  

The guy is terrible.  But when you're used to the worst in the league, terrible works a little bit. 

Better than "Geno has to play A LOT better if we are going to be a .500 team"

except geno has been a starter for us when we have been a .500 team and that was when we had no talent around him as a rookie, Fitz has never helped a team win 8 games.

You laugh, but it's actually one of his best traits.  He has the tendency to run at the right times and pick up first downs.  What's not to like about that aspect of his game? 

Remember when we used to hire people just to show Sanchez how to slide?  Good times.

Shut your conquering hero mouth.

lots of things to like and yes, he doesnt have the accuracy that the elite QBs have.  So much more to the QB position but he gives his guys a chance on most of his throws.   Hopefully with more time practicing with Smith he can build some chemistry as he has with Marshall and Decker.

nothing about him has to be elite but I disagree on giving his guys a chance.  his throws are all over the place, his receivers need to be acrobats to catch most of them that are more than 5 yds past the LOS.

he's been hurting us most of the year, b/c we have won doesn't change that.  we were +4 midway through the 4th at Indy and led just 10-7.  he missed a million plays vs. philly that would have changed that game, last week we dominated Miami yet w/ plenty of time to play Miami had a 1st and G from our 2.  we have won and should be thankful for that but let's be honest- the QB has struggled and we haven't played any good teams yet.  he has to play A LOT better if we are going to be a playoff team.

Amazing that a blatant fan of sanchez would make such a post.

Fitz is 11th in QBR but 29th in passer rating.  I don't get it.  

Passer Rating doesn't take into account game situation, sacks taken, running yards, etc.

Basically QBR (in theory, anyway) is attempting to look beyond simple stats and figure out his net overall contribution to the game. Meaning while he's not setting the world on fire, he's doing a lot of little things you wouldn't notice in the numbers.

But if your point is simply that 11th to 29th is a massive discrepancy, you'd be correct.

Amazing that a blatant fan of sanchez would make such a post.

the guy that helped us reach 2 title games, why would I ever back him?

Passer Rating doesn't take into account game situation, sacks taken, running yards, etc.

Basically QBR (in theory, anyway) is attempting to look beyond simple stats and figure out his net overall contribution to the game. Meaning while he's not setting the world on fire, he's doing a lot of little things you wouldn't notice in the numbers.

But if your point is simply that 11th to 29th is a massive discrepancy, you'd be correct.

unfortunately all those things are subjective, there's no way anyone can watch that game Sunday and come out impressed w/ the way fitz played other than his few nice scrambles.

I guess it shows exactly what we know.  He's a good game manager but not so good passer.  

the guy that helped us reach 2 title games, why would I ever back him?

unfortunately all those things are subjective, there's no way anyone can watch that game Sunday and come out impressed w/ the way fitz played other than his few nice scrambles.

He played well enough to score 27 points and win the game. He wasn't great (91 QBR does seem insanely high relative to how he played) but I don't think he played poorly at all. If you want to see "poor" QB play, I've got plenty of Geno and Sanchez highlights from the last four years.

And it's hilarious you think Sanchez "helped us" reach to AFCCG but you don't think Fitzpatrick has "helped us" reach 3-1. 

except geno has been a starter for us when we have been a .500 team and that was when we had no talent around him as a rookie, Fitz has never helped a team win 8 games.

it is going to be sweet when Fitz gets that 9th or 10th win this season so you can finally stop with this garbage

Archived