The Jets at 3-1 all time

nyjunc

I thought it would be interesting to take a look at our records all time after starting a season at 3-1.

1960(Titans) started 3-1, ended 7-7

1961(Titans) started 3-1, ended 7-7

1963 started 3-1, ended 5-8-1

1967 started 3-1, ended 8-5-1 lost div by a game

1968 started 3-1, ended 11-3 and won SB

1982 started 3-1, ended 6-3(strike shortened season) and lost in AFC Championship Game

1984 started 3-1, ended 7-9

1985 started 3-1, ended 11-5 and lost at home in WC game

1986 started 3-1, ended 10-6 and lost in div round

1988 started 3-1, ended 8-7-1

2009 started 3-1, ended 9-7 and lost in AFC Championship game

2010 started 3-1, ended 11-5 and lost in AFC Championship Game

it has happened 12 times previously, we made the playoffs half the time.  Hopefully we go 7 for 13

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good research. Our remaining schedule has some very winnable games, I say we go at least 6-6 rest of the way and maybe 7-5. 

I have to be honest here. AFC is weak. Bengals, Broncos, Colts and Pats will win the division. Our biggest competitors for 2 wild card teams are below

Steelers at 2-2

Bills at 2-2

Chargers at 2-2

Ravens at 1-3

Chiefs at 1-3

I don't see remaining teams as contenders. We have a great shot at making the playoffs thanks to this 3-1 start. 

Good research. Our remaining schedule has some very winnable games, I say we go at least 6-6 rest of the way and maybe 7-5. 

I have to be honest here. AFC is weak. Bengals, Broncos, Colts and Pats will win the division. Our biggest competitors for 2 wild card teams are below

Steelers at 2-2

Bills at 2-2

Chargers at 2-2

Ravens at 1-3

Chiefs at 1-3

I don't see remaining teams as contenders. We have a great shot at making the playoffs thanks to this 3-1 start. 

Steelers are in trouble with Vick at QB, Bills are screwed with Pegula making the personnel decisions...JMO.

Steelers at 2-2

Bills at 2-2

Chargers at 2-2

Ravens at 1-3

Chiefs at 1-3

Agreed. After being the superior conference from 98-10 the NFC has really taken that mantle. There's just not a top of depth, and if we win the games we "should" win we've got a great chance to be a playoff team.

Steelers would clearly be a favorite for a Wild Card spot if Big Ben was healthy -- that's a situation to monitor... After that I think we're as good if not better than the rest of those teams... You left out the Raiders, who could be a sneaky wild card type team sitting at 2-2.

If the Jets are for real they will go 3-1 over the next 4.  

These are games "good" teams win (Skins, Pats, Raiders, Jags)

At 5-3 I'm not buying in - but If they're 6-2 I'm on board for a SuperBowl run....

I feel really good about the Redskins and Jaguars games. I'd be very surprised if we coughed one of those up.

Pats is the big one, obviously... If we can win that it's time to go all in.

Tricky one is the Raiders... If Bowles can get us playing well on the west coast he'll be the first Jets coach in recent memory to do so. Raiders are better than they've been, that's a sneaky scary game IMO.

But yeah, 3-1 is a very realistic goal.

Steelers at 2-2

Bills at 2-2

Chargers at 2-2

Ravens at 1-3

Chiefs at 1-3

The Patriots arent winning the division. 

Jet fans are scared. Zero confidence in their own team. 

To be honest they have good reason.  Our Qb position is shaky.  Fitzpatrick has done exactly what I thought he would do and our defense has been about as good as I thought.  QB is the most important position on a team and that is a weakness at this point.  Fitz is playing well enough for the jets to win but he does have a history of leveling our or getting hurt.

I think it's silly to criticize Jets fans who think it's likely the Pats win the division. They've won the division 11 of the last 12 years, are defending Super Bowl champions, and have looked like the best team in the NFL through four weeks.

Nobody in the world who isn't a Jets fan thinks we're going to win the division. 

That said, of course we can and we're all hoping we do. It's just not crazy to have an honest conversation about our most likely route tot he playoffs.

Seriously... the board is unreadable.

These people find every way to make the Patriots the winners of their division just 1 qtr of the way through. They figure that any Jets fan supportive of their team and not just "giving" the crown to these cheaters is considered hypothetical. 

Now I have to read on the board how our 3-1 record means sh*t because of what happened half the time during "yesteryear". It's like self-abuse with this fanbase. 

We cant win our division, Jet fans are scared of the Pats, They feel like we can "easily" lose to the Jags, Raiders, Redskins...pretty much any team, yet never EVER feel like we can "just as easily" be better than a bunch of old teams that arent freaking relevant today. Why? Because the fan base deep inside feels like it will be "Same'ol Jets" to the point where its become their identity. 

Wishing for their own team's downfall is what that "doubt" ultimately is. 

To be honest they have good reason.  Our Qb position is shaky.  Fitzpatrick has done exactly what I thought he would do and our defense has been about as good as I thought.  QB is the most important position on a team and that is a weakness at this point.  Fitz is playing well enough for the jets to win but he does have a history of leveling our or getting hurt.

Psst. F'ing unbelievable. 

all this looking forward makes me nervous

the Jets historically play poorly when they are considered contenders. 

Many are looking forward to NE (cheaters) in three weeks, when really, they have to beat a Skins team that just beat an Eagles team, that beat the Jets. 

They haven't played Rex yet, and he knows where all the bodies are buried. They have to play AT Oakland which is traditionally a nightmare and AT Dallas when Romo (and Dez) are back. 

All of this adds up to .500 the rest of the way and 9-7 is looking like best case. Sorry but I wouldn't bet money on this team winning 10 games. 

These people find every way to make the Patriots the winners of their division just 1 qtr of the way through. They figure that any Jets fan supportive of their team and not just "giving" the crown to these cheaters is considered hypothetical. 

Now I have to read on the board how our 3-1 record means sh*t because of what happened half the time during "yesteryear". It's like self-abuse with this fanbase. 

We cant win our division, Jet fans are scared of the Pats, They feel like we can "easily" lose to the Jags, Raiders, Redskins...pretty much any team, yet never EVER feel like we can "just as easily" be better than a bunch of old teams that arent freaking relevant today. Why? Because the fan base deep inside feels like it will be "Same'ol Jets" to the point where its become their identity. 

Or we're just not huge homers and view the team the way most people do.

These people find every way to make the Patriots the winners of their division just 1 qtr of the way through 

The Pats have been caught cheating twice in seven years, they are still cheating. It's hard to beat teams that cheat. Especially in their house. 

Psst. F'ing unbelievable. 

You did a poor job of countering my reasons, well you didn't counter the Qb issue at all.  The overly optimistic are just as bad as the pessimistic and I can promise you that a good front office and coach (which we appear to have now) are not sticking their heads in the sand and drawing up a playoff schedule.  The Jets have played well overall and are 3-1, the most important position on the team is far from rock solid. 

The Pats have been caught cheating twice in seven years, they are still cheating. It's hard to beat teams that cheat. Especially in their house. 

Thats different than not believing in your team. Jet fans dont believe that they can win because they think that the Patriots are better, not because they're cheating. I've read enough on this board to have seen the difference. 

You did a poor job of countering my reasons, well you didn't counter the Qb issue at all.  The overly optimistic are just as bad as the pessimistic and I can promise you that a good front office and coach (which we appear to have now) are not sticking their heads in the sand and drawing up a playoff schedule.  The Jets have played well overall and are 3-1, the most important position on the team is far from rock solid. 

It wasnt a poor job, it wasnt even a job. I didnt try to counter this. Some things are only worth shaking your head at. 

Sheer and utter dopey nonsense.  When some of us saw the fact that Sanchez was garbage and that Rex was a total fraud and expressed it we were hoping the jets would fail?  Or were we realistic enough to know these guys were frauds that were never going to get us where we want to go.

The Jets right now appear to have a good enough defense, oline and running game to truly contend.  They do not have a good enough Qb situation to truly contend unless we get hot and lucky.  There is nothing wrong with opining that QB is iffy, not disastrous by any means but a house of cards and our specials are nothing to write home about.

It wasnt a poor job, it wasnt even a job. I didnt try to counter this. Some things are only worth shaking your head at. 

Strike two, at least guys like nyjunc attempt to state logical reasons as to why they feel the way they do.  This type of response is a 'no lose' response.  Amazing that for a guy that was all about improving QB position and being a fan of Glennon  (who i also think is a good alternative) you are now avoiding that position like grim death in this discussion.

The Jets have some very good parts to their team.

The Jets if things go right can make the playoffs.

The Jets if they overachieve a bit can win the division.

The Jets in one play could be starting Geno Smith and him being the big hope for the team.

Thats different than not believing in your team. Jet fans dont believe that they can win because they think that the Patriots are better, not because they're cheating. I've read enough on this board to have seen the difference. 

I'm a Jets fan.  I don't believe the playing field is level and I don't believe the outcomes are based purely on competition. 

Week 1 there was shady "radio malfunction" for the Steelers in Foxboro. 

How about last week, the refs kept the Fins in the game, so that the west coast waking up could have a somewhat competitive game. Meanwhile the Pats are like the Man United of the NFL they sell those jerseys worldwide, what's a little cheating when there's jerseys to sell. 

It's not a fair competition it's entertainment. The Jets have been getting boned by the Pats for years and there's no reason to believe that will stop. Stop looking at the Jets and only the Jets. Look around the league is rife with cheating and the biggest culprit just happens to be in the division. 

I'm a Jets fan.  I don't believe the playing field is level and I don't believe the outcomes are based purely on competition. 

How about last week, the refs kept the Fins in the game, so that the west coast waking up could have a somewhat competitive game. Meanwhile the Pats are like the Man United of the NFL they sell those jerseys worldwide, what's a little cheating when there's jerseys to sell. 

It's not a fair competition it's entertainment. The Jets have been getting boned by the Pats for years and there's no reason to believe that will stop. Stop looking at the Jets and only the Jets. Look around the league is rife with cheating and the biggest culprit just happens to be in the division. 

the biggest culprit was in Miami for years (Shula).

Sheer and utter dopey nonsense.  When some of us saw the fact that Sanchez was garbage and that Rex was a total fraud and expressed it we were hoping the jets would fail?  Or were we realistic enough to know these guys were frauds that were never going to get us where we want to go.

The Jets right now appear to have a good enough defense, oline and running game to truly contend.  They do not have a good enough Qb situation to truly contend unless we get hot and lucky.  There is nothing wrong with opining that QB is iffy, not disastrous by any means but a house of cards and our specials are nothing to write home about.

Going by your criteria the Tuna was a fraud with a better QB..LOL

everyone is cheating or trying to bend rules.  they win b/c they have the best QB ever and they are great teams.

we had headset malfunctions in the title game at Pitt, they can't whine.  stuff like this happens all the time.

Archived