The Jets at 3-1 all time

nyjunc

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuna won super bowls.  Rex never won shi* as a head coach.  When you win it all you get leeway, just like Coughlin.  Two super bowl wins.

how did we almost make 2 SBs w/ these "frauds"?  by the way, Giant fans though the same of Coughlin in 2007 BEFORE he won a SB.

Tuna won super bowls.  Rex never won shi* as a head coach.  When you win it all you get leeway, just like Coughlin.  Two super bowl wins.

Rex at least won some playoff games Mangini never did and with better QB's.. I understand Rex's big mouth offends many fans and he doesn't act like a competent HC should, part of which is because he's not a complete HC.. I also love the Mac and Bowles combo and wouldn't trade them for anyone now working.. The difference with me is I give credit to Rex for 2 great years 09-10 and I don't hate him.. The inner child in most fans just can't let their Rex hate go but if it somehow gives them pleasure so be it..:)

You do know the difference between winning the super bowl and not don't you?  Apparently not.

there wasn't much difference btw NYG '07/'11 and NYJ '09/'10 other than that got some breaks we didn't.  the ONLY coach in our history to have us in 2 title games, it's not easy to get that far. he gave us 2 chances, we lost and that sucked but it's better than all other years not 1968, 1982 and 1998

there wasn't much difference btw NYG '07/'11 and NYJ '09/'10 other than that got some breaks we didn't.  the ONLY coach in our history to have us in 2 title games, it's not easy to get that far. he gave us 2 chances, we lost and that sucked but it's better than all other years not 1968, 1982 and 1998

How was 82 and 98 better we still lost in the AFCCG?? Plus we scored just 10 points in 98 and no points in 82..

Rex at least won some playoff games Mangini never did and with better QB's.. I understand Rex's big mouth offends many fans and he doesn't act like a competent HC should, part of which is because he's not a complete HC.. I also love the Mac and Bowles combo and wouldn't trade them for anyone now working.. The difference with me is I give credit to Rex for 2 great years 09-10 and I don't hate him.. The inner child in most fans just can't let their Rex hate go but if it somehow gives them pleasure so be it..:)

Well your post did contain one accurate thing, the inner child becasue that is what rex is.  I don't hate Rex Ryan, I do think he is a really lousy head coach who was lathered with too much credit when things went well in those two years and received very little blame when the team fell on its ass after that.  He is lauded and loved by many for almost winning something.  He has taken his same act to Buffalo and apparently learned not one thing from his failures. 

How was 82 and 98 better we still lost in the AFCCG?? Plus we scored just 10 points in 98 and no points in 82..

I put them on the same level though 2010 we actually had a chance late in the game which we did not have in '82, '98 or '09.

Well your post did contain one accurate thing, the inner child becasue that is what rex is.  I don't hate Rex Ryan, I do think he is a really lousy head coach who was lathered with too much credit when things went well in those two years and received very little blame when the team fell on its ass after that.  He is lauded and loved by many for almost winning something.  He has taken his same act to Buffalo and apparently learned not one thing from his failures. 

how do we win 4 road playoff games w/ a lousy HC? 

Mangini is loved by some what the hell did he ever do?? But at least you admit Rex's inner child and yours will be locked in a duel forever..:D

it cracks me up that people will speak kindly of Mangini and bash rex

I have always said one of Rex's biggest flaws is he coaches and talks like a fan and to see how some posters talk about how great they are I can see why they hate him.. Only they know whats wrong with Jet players,the team and what it takes to win a bowl.. Woody is missing a great chance not to hire some from this board at least as advisors..LOL

I have always said one of Rex's biggest flaws is he coaches and talks like a fan and to see how some posters talk about how great they are I can see why they hate him.. Only they know whats wrong with Jet players,the team and what it takes to win a bowl.. Woody is missing a great chance not to hire some from this board at least as advisors..LOL

Rex loved the Jets, still does.  it hurt him to leave.  How many coaches can we say that about? most couldn't wait to leave.  I LOVE Bowles and the new regime so far but I will always appreciate what Rex did here even though he couldn't quote get us over the hump to finally getting to another SB.

Herm, Mangini, Rex.....all in the same boat.  Failures.  Herm and Mangini sucked at their 2nd stops too then were never hired again as HC's, and Rex is headed in that direction in Buffalo.  So who really cares which of the coaches from the failure pile was better than the others?

Herm, Mangini, Rex.....all in the same boat.  Failures.  Herm and Mangini sucked at their 2nd stops too then were never hired again as HC's, and Rex is headed in that direction in Buffalo.  So who really cares which of the coaches from the failure pile was better than the others?

And the Tuna failed at his 2nd and 3rd stops unless he gets credit for what he did with the Giants or losing a bowl with the Pats.. Does the he won Bowls before so he can never suck no matter what else he does rule apply here?? :)

And the Tuna failed at his 2nd and 3rd stops unless he gets credit for what he did with the Giants or losing a bowl with the Pats.. Does the he won Bowls before so he can never suck no matter what else he does rule apply here?? :)

Only if you're saying not winning the SB is "failing." Parcells had a winning record here, then had a winning record with the Cowboys and took them to the playoffs. He never had a losing record in any of his four stops, won two super bowls, appeared in another, and made another conference title game. He's a HOF head coach by any measure.

Herm and Mangini had losing records with the Jets and proceeded to have worse records after they left. They both were halfway respectable here (but not good enough) and proceeded to do way worse elsewhere.

I thought it would be interesting to take a look at our records all time after starting a season at 3-1.

1960(Titans) started 3-1, ended 7-7

1961(Titans) started 3-1, ended 7-7

1963 started 3-1, ended 5-8-1

1967 started 3-1, ended 8-5-1 lost div by a game

1968 started 3-1, ended 11-3 and won SB

1982 started 3-1, ended 6-3(strike shortened season) and lost in AFC Championship Game

1984 started 3-1, ended 7-9

1985 started 3-1, ended 11-5 and lost at home in WC game

1986 started 3-1, ended 10-6 and lost in div round

1988 started 3-1, ended 8-7-1

2009 started 3-1, ended 9-7 and lost in AFC Championship game

2010 started 3-1, ended 11-5 and lost in AFC Championship Game

it has happened 12 times previously, we made the playoffs half the time.  Hopefully we go 7 for 13

7 for 13? But there are only 12 games left in the season. Or are you predicting a first round win?

7 for 13? But there are only 12 games left in the season. Or are you predicting a first round win?

we had gone 3-1 12 times before and made the playoffs 6 times, this is the 13 th time so let's make it the 7th time in 13 tries we make the postseason.

Only if you're saying not winning the SB is "failing." Parcells had a winning record here, then had a winning record with the Cowboys and took them to the playoffs. He never had a losing record in any of his four stops, won two super bowls, appeared in another, and made another conference title game. He's a HOF head coach by any measure.

Herm and Mangini had losing records with the Jets and proceeded to have worse records after they left. They both were halfway respectable here (but not good enough) and proceeded to do way worse elsewhere.

No one has more playoff apps or AFC east titles in our history than herm.

I agree the Tuna was a great HC but what happened when Vinny went down game 1 in 1999?? The Jets started 1-6 did he forget how to coach?? No bad QB play can make even a great HC look bad..

Steelers are in trouble with Vick at QB, Bills are screwed with Pegula making the personnel decisions...JMO.

Add to that the Chargers do seem to choke an awful lot (they were a hair away from being 1-3 by barely getting by Cleveland), and the Chiefs are off to a brutal start at 1-3 that's hard to come back from. Also keep in mind they all have to play each other twice apiece (including Denver) and haven't faced off once yet. They can't all win.

No doubt Pittsburgh with Vick (and then a potentially-rusty Roethlisberger when he finally comes back) has an uphill battle as you mention. Plus their schedule is pretty rough. Then again, Baltimore is off to a terrible start themselves, and is lucky to not be 0-4. I don't see 2 teams from that division making it in. Could happen, but looks unlikely at the 1/4 mark.

Personnel decisions during the season shouldn't be a big factor for the Bills, but the game (and post-game) from this past Sunday aside, Buffalo still mostly has a good team. IT would be sweet if the week 4 loss was the beginning of a lengthy implosion that lasts at least until they're out of the running.

What could make it interesting is outside our division we don't play anyone else seen as competition (as of today) for a playoff spot.

Our early 3-1 start, our (on paper) favorable schedule, and slower starts and/or injuries of others really puts us in a great position. 

When you win multiple Super Bowls with one franchise (Giants), lead another franchise to the Super Bowl (Pats), and turn around a 3rd franchise from 1-15 to 12-4 in 2 years (Jets), yes, it doesn't matter if he sucked for a few years with Dallas.  

The key difference here is no one gave Mangini or Herm a shot after they failed on their 2nd stop.  And I doubt Rex will get a 3rd chance when he gets fired by Buffalo.  

Parcells once won a Super Bowl with Jeff Hostetler at QB.  And led the Pats to a Super Bowl with Drew Bledsoe.  Not to mention, Vinny Testaverde wasn't all that great before he played for Parcells.  He had his best year of his career here.  He was a journeyman who threw 29 TD's and just 7 INT's for the Jets in '98.

Parcells once won a Super Bowl with Jeff Hostetler at QB.  And led the Pats to a Super Bowl with Drew Bledsoe.  Not to mention, Vinny Testaverde wasn't all that great before he played for Parcells.  He had his best year of his career here.  He was a journeyman who threw 29 TD's and just 7 INT's for the Jets in '98.

Well, Hostetler was a good QB not a scrub. It's not like today with free agency: a team can't just draft a good, 3rd round QB and stash him on their roster until he's 32 years old anymore. Besides, back then it wasn't that uncommon for less-than-great QBs to go to (or win) a Super Bowl.

Bledsoe may not have been an all time great either, but he was a pro bowl QB

Testaverde was a pro bowler in 1996 before he played with the Jets. His season in 1998 was clearly better, though. One of those 7 picks was a meh why not hail mary pass as time expired in the first half of the last game of the season. Couldn't be more meaningless. But I don't know how he was a journeyman QB. He played for 2 teams over the first 11 years of his career, and the first was the Bucs who couldn't get any success out of Steve Young either. He was on a high priced contract that a journeyman doesn't get, which is why they had to wait until after June to be able to afford to cut him (they wanted to go with the far cheaper and younger Eric Zeier instead). I thought I remembered reading (or hearing), at the time, that he would have earned another $1M bonus for 3000 passing yards so Balt benched him mid-game with 2971 in 1997 because they knew they wanted to go in another direction the next year. Can't find an article on it now, though. Anyway Belichick was the one who was pushing so hard for him. The starting job was given to Glenn Foley.

Well, Hostetler was a good QB not a scrub. It's not like today with free agency: a team can't just draft a good, 3rd round QB and stash him on their roster until he's 32 years old anymore. Besides, back then it wasn't that uncommon for less-than-great QBs to go to (or win) a Super Bowl.

Testaverde was a pro bowler in 1996 before he played with the Jets. His season in 1998 was clearly better, though. One of those 7 picks was a meh why not hail mary pass as time expired in the first half of the last game of the season. Couldn't be more meaningless. But I don't know how he was a journeyman QB. He played for 2 teams over the first 11 years of his career, and the first was the Bucs who couldn't get any success out of Steve Young either. He was on a high priced contract that a journeyman doesn't get, which is why they had to wait until after June to be able to afford to cut him (they wanted to go with the far cheaper and younger Eric Zeier instead). I thought I remembered reading (or hearing), at the time, that he would have earned another $1M bonus for 3000 passing yards so Balt benched him mid-game with 2971 in 1997 because they knew they wanted to go in another direction the next year. Can't find an article on it now, though. Anyway Belichick was the one who was pushing so hard for him. The starting job was given to Glenn Foley.

Vinny Testaverde was better than you think

Basic premise, Vinny suffered from lack of weaponzzz for almost entire career lol

I think the Tuna and Joe Gibbs did the best without top flight QB's however Hoss wasn't a bad QB and neither was Simms,Bledsoe or Vinny..And Vinny made the pro Bowl with the Ravens in 1996 throwing 33 tds and they were a bad 4-12 team in 96..

Add to that the Chargers do seem to choke an awful lot (they were a hair away from being 1-3 by barely getting by Cleveland), and the Chiefs are off to a brutal start at 1-3 that's hard to come back from. Also keep in mind they all have to play each other twice apiece (including Denver) and haven't faced off once yet. They can't all win.

No doubt Pittsburgh with Vick (and then a potentially-rusty Roethlisberger when he finally comes back) has an uphill battle as you mention. Plus their schedule is pretty rough. Then again, Baltimore is off to a terrible start themselves, and is lucky to not be 0-4. I don't see 2 teams from that division making it in. Could happen, but looks unlikely at the 1/4 mark.

Personnel decisions during the season shouldn't be a big factor for the Bills, but the game (and post-game) from this past Sunday aside, Buffalo still mostly has a good team. IT would be sweet if the week 4 loss was the beginning of a lengthy implosion that lasts at least until they're out of the running.

What could make it interesting is outside our division we don't play anyone else seen as competition (as of today) for a playoff spot.

Our early 3-1 start, our (on paper) favorable schedule, and slower starts and/or injuries of others really puts us in a great position. 

Rivers is the most overrated QB in the game, SD tends to choke b/c of that overrated QB.  SD should have multiple SBs in the past decade.

I think he had 2 of those hail mary type INts that season, that was the best season by a Jets QB in our history.  I think if we finished off that season and won the SB Vinny would be a HOFer b/c of the #s he compiled in his career.

I think the Tuna and Joe Gibbs did the best without top flight QB's however Hoss wasn't a bad QB and neither was Simms,Bledsoe or Vinny..And Vinny made the pro Bowl with the Ravens in 1996 throwing 33 tds and they were a bad 4-12 team in 96..

Don't care.  Nit-picking a 2-time Super Bowl champion while propping up sub-.500 coach will always result in you being on the losing side of the argument.  Had Parcells been a total failure at multiple stops you'd have a point.  But he wasn't.  Herm and Mangini were failures at 2 stops as HC's and never got another chance.  Rex has been a failure at one stop and so far signs are pointing towards him failing in Buffalo. 

None of those 3 are anywhere close to Parcells' level.  Of those 3, some prefer Mangini (which you likely refuse to understand/accept) because he was the only one of the 3 who inherited a bad team.  The post-Herm Jets were a mess, after Herm (and Bradway) ruined what Parcells handed off.  Mangini gave Rex a 9-7 team.  They all suck and had fatal flaws, so it doesn't really matter.  Herm and Rex were clowns, Mangini was too much of a hardass. 

It goes Weeb, Parcells, then a bunch of losers when it come to the history of Jets HC's.

Don't care.  Nit-picking a 2-time Super Bowl champion while propping up sub-.500 coach will always result in you being on the losing side of the argument.  Had Parcells been a total failure at multiple stops you'd have a point.  But he wasn't.  Herm and Mangini were failures at 2 stops as HC's and never got another chance.  Rex has been a failure at one stop and so far signs are pointing towards him failing in Buffalo. 

None of those 3 are anywhere close to Parcells' level.  Of those 3, some prefer Mangini (which you likely refuse to understand/accept) because he was the only one of the 3 who inherited a bad team.  The post-Herm Jets were a mess, after Herm (and Bradway) ruined what Parcells handed off.  Mangini gave Rex a 9-7 team.  They all suck and had fatal flaws, so it doesn't really matter.  Herm and Rex were clowns, Mangini was too much of a hardass. 

It goes Weeb, Parcells, then a bunch of losers when it come to the history of Jets HC's.

This is pure make-believe. 

The team Mangini inherited was 10-6 the year before Herm was fired. In Herm's last season, Brooks Bollinger started 11 games. Conversely, Mangini handed over crap. A team that was 4-12 the year before he was fired, and only performed better than that because of one mercenary season from Brett Favre. Without Favre, Mangini is relegated to Kotite/Holtz status. He was horrendous. Rex not only didn't inherit Brett Favre, but he inherited a Brett Favre-less team that had to do some serious roster trimming to fit Favre under the cap the year before. So basically a gutted version of Mangini's 4-12 squad. 

Archived