Tannenbaum

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Tannebaum you get a guy who knows the cap and contracts but not an NFL guy.  I feel like he runs his teams like fantasy football teams.  He's all about the offseason splash.  Get headlines get guys that look and sound great.  Everyone jumps on your banwagon.  Come to the draft and bam.  Trade your picks get more named guys and leave the team top heavy in talent with no backups and once you have an injury you are done.  

As for Macgnan.  The guy eats sleeps and drinks football.  He finds players and finds guys that can help.  You see it in the additions.  He'll have his misses but this year not any I can think of.  He's a football guy.  Hopefully this continues.  It's week 5 of his 1st year.  As great as everything looks now we can be saying different in a few years.  Jerry Reese of the Giants rings a bell.  Everyone loved him his first few years and then jumped off the banwagon a few years back and seem back on it now.  We'll see.  But like what I see from everyone and don't miss the Tannebaum years.

I know this has become kind of a cliche at this point but it holds true for me -- when Tannenbaum was making decisions alongside Mangini he more often than not made good decisions. They drafted pretty well (outside of the Gholston disaster) and made good FA moves. When Tannenbaum was making decisions alongside Rex he more often than not made bad decisions. They drafted very poorly, and made some baffling trades/signings (most specifically the Tebow move which effectively ended his tenure here.)

Tanny was an aggressive guy with good cap savvy and when he had a smart decision maker to reel him in he wasn't bad. When he had Rex handpicking fullbacks it unraveled quickly.

post 2010 we started taking away talent from him to work with.  3 of his top 5 weapons to enter 2011 were out of football in 2012.  In 2012 Chaz Schilens, Clyde Gates and Stephen hill were his main weapons.

In philly last year he was very good, they averaged almost 30PPG w/ him as QB.  think they would like that production now?

No one is saying mark was great, tannebaum great,etc...  mistakes were made but to treat mark like Bubby Brister and Rex & tannebaum like Kotite and Dick Steinberg isn't fair.

If you believe part of Sanchez's regression was an absence of talent then you can't simultaneously hold up Tannenbaum as a good GM if he paid deeply for a good QB and then eroded the team around him. You can't have it both ways.

This is nothing but narrative. The Giants won the Super Bowl Reese's first year there. They won another one 4 years later. The Steelers won a ring 5 years into Colbert's tenure after making the postseason 3 of his first 4 years there. In other words, both of your examples had rings under their belt in less than the amount of Tannenbaum's entire tenure. That's why they still have jobs, not because of people complaining on the Internet or whatever romanticized concept of loyalty you've developed for yourself.

Coughlin and Eli were treated like sanchez and rex are now by jet fans.  Giant fans anted them gone in 2007 and again in 2011 along w/ reese despite winning a SB 4 years earlier.  The Giants aren't stupid enough to listen to nitwit fans that hop on and off bandwagons every week.  That's why they won those 2 SBs but other organizations try the method of hiring a new GM, HC and getting a new QB every few years.  How has that worked for us?

Coughlin and Eli were treated like sanchez and rex are now by jet fans.  Giant fans anted them gone in 2007 and again in 2011 along w/ reese despite winning a SB 4 years earlier.  The Giants aren't stupid enough to listen to nitwit fans that hop on and off bandwagons every week.  That's why they won those 2 SBs but other organizations try the method of hiring a new GM, HC and getting a new QB every few years.  How has that worked for us?

Good in your opinion if you believe the Rex/Tannenbaum/Sanchez era was golden.

Everyone that we have fired has gone on to suck. That's the difference. We haven't fired one coach or GM that has gone on to success elsewhere. There have been no bad firings. And that has nothing to do with us or their next stop not holding on to them for long enough, it has to do with the fact that they weren't good at their job. Invoke all the false equivalences you like, but it doesn't change the fact that the Dolphins are looking like a pretty fat ******* disaster right now.

Everyone that we have fired has gone on to suck. That's the difference. We haven't fired one coach or GM that has gone on to success elsewhere. And that has nothing to do with us or their next stop not holding on to them for long enough, it has to do with the fact that they weren't good at their job. Invoke all the false equivalences you like, but it doesn't change the fact that the Dolphins are looking like a pretty fat ******* disaster right now.

Tannenbaum just got back in so how can we say he sucked? Rex is doing a good job in Buffalo revitalizing a dead franchise, mark was really good for Philly last year.  None of these guys have had the chance yet to prove that statement true or false.

Tannenbaum was hired this January, how is this mess his fault? and he's NOT the GM, Hickey is the GM.

Tannenbaum has many redeeming qualities as a GM whether you want to admit it or not. But his biggest flaw is he leans way to hard on his coaches for talent and FA decisions. I know I read this and I believe it wholeheartedly, the decision to sign Tebow started with Rex, sitting in an airport with Tanny when they heard the news that DEN signed Manning. Rex was enamoured because Tebow killed his D, which is a hallmark of Rex clamoring for FA's. I never believed that came from Woody, in fact Woody had reservations at first. I really wish I knew where I read that.

Even still, until Tanny has a coach and confidant that truly know how to evaluate players, he's always going to run into trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if tebow was more open to playing other positions that deal wouldn't have been as bad as it was, he was never brought here to play QB.  they envisioned him in a Brad Smith type role but he wanted to be a QB.  I think tebow can succeed in a Smith like role.

Tannenbaum just got back in so how can we say he sucked? Rex is doing a good job in Buffalo revitalizing a dead franchise, mark was really good for Philly last year.  None of these guys have had the chance yet to prove that statement true or false.

Tannenbaum was hired this January, how is this mess his fault? and he's NOT the GM, Hickey is the GM.

wat

2 months after hiring Mike Tannenbaum, the Miami Dolphins paid Ryan Tannehill $94 million.

2 months after hiring Mike Tannenbaum, the Miami Dolphins paid Suh $114 million.

Through 4 weeks, the Buffalo defense is statistically worse off than it was last season. They are 7th against the pass and 28th against the run. They are 22nd in total defense, and 11th using FOs metrics. Last year, they were 1st against the pass and 12th against the run. They were 4th in total defense and 2nd using FOs metrics.

Mark Sanchez was statistically horrid last year, played the Eagles out of a playoff spot, and is now a backup.

Literally none of what you said is true.

if tebow was more open to playing other positions that deal wouldn't have been as bad as it was, he was never brought here to play QB.  they envisioned him in a Brad Smith type role but he wanted to be a QB.  I think tebow can succeed in a Smith like role.

they traded for Tebow because he was Woody Johnson's hero and Denver made him available.  2012 was the darkest year ever for me as a jets fan even worse than '96 at least we knew better days were ahead it doesn't get worse than an aging roster and a retard owner shoving Tebowmania down your throat while the Giants keep winning Super Bowls

wat

2 months after hiring Mike Tannenbaum, the Miami Dolphins paid Ryan Tannehill $94 million.

2 months after hiring Mike Tannenbaum, the Miami Dolphins paid Suh $114 million.

Through 4 weeks, the Buffalo defense is statistically worse off than it was last season. They are 7th against the pass and 28th against the run. They are 22nd in total defense, and 11th using FOs metrics. Last year, they were 1st against the pass and 12th against the run. They were 4th in total defense and 2nd using FOs metrics.

Mark Sanchez was statistically horrid last year, played the Eagles out of a playoff spot, and is now a backup.

Literally none of what you said is true.

Suh was the top FA, if want to keep Mo we will have to pay close to that.

what QBs are out there? Ryan is a mediocre QB but appeared to be ascending and that deal allows form them to get out of it after next year.  it was a good contract for Miami.

Buffalo would be in the playoffs if the season ended today, a place they haven't to since 1999.

mark's #s were actually good, had a near 90 rating.  Fitz is under 80 and you guys are excited by that.  Not to mention he faced the tougher portion of the sched for Philly and they scored almost a TD more per game(almost 30 PPG) than they did w/ Foles against the softer part of their sched.  They missed the playoffs b/c they couldn't stop opponents from scoring.

:literally everything I wrote was true but you cannot see it through your bias

they traded for Tebow because he was Woody Johnson's hero and Denver made him available.  2012 was the darkest year ever for me as a jets fan even worse than '96 at least we knew better days were ahead it doesn't get worse than an aging roster and a retard owner shoving Tebowmania down your throat while the Giants keep winning Super Bowls

2012 was bad.

Suh was the top FA, if want to keep Mo we will have to pay close to that.

what QBs are out there? Ryan is a mediocre QB but appeared to be ascending and that deal allows form them to get out of it after next year.  it was a good contract for Miami.

Buffalo would be in the playoffs if the season ended today, a place they haven't to since 1999.

mark's #s were actually good, had a near 90 rating.  Fitz is under 80 and you guys are excited by that.  Not to mention he faced the tougher portion of the sched for Philly and they scored almost a TD more per game(almost 30 PPG) than they did w/ Foles against the softer part of their sched.  They missed the playoffs b/c they couldn't stop opponents from scoring.

:literally everything I wrote was true but you cannot see it through your bias

Alright, who is this? Honest question. Sperm? Shane? Reveal yourself.

they don't give up on people and they don't listen to their fanbase.  if they did NYG has 2 less SBs as NY fans wanted Coughlin AND Eli gone heading into 2007 and 2011.

I don't know, man. It's one thing to be loyal and it's another to be loyal to a fault. 

One can be appreciative of some good moves he made that panned out, and still think he deserved to be fired some unsuccessful years later. There's no nobility in waiting until his 10th season as GM only to look back and say, yeesh we should have fired this guy years ago.

Whether people thought so at the time or only in hindsight, we made a bad hire in his replacement. But the one after that is very much so far so good. I'm pleased with the road we're on now and the shape most of the team is in and wouldn't trade Maccagnan for him to return.

holy ******* sh*t

I don't know, man. It's one thing to be loyal and it's another to be loyal to a fault. 

One can be appreciative of some good moves he made that panned out, and still think he deserved to be fired some unsuccessful years later. There's no nobility in waiting until his 10th season as GM only to look back and say, yeesh we should have fired this guy years ago.

Whether people thought so at the time or only in hindsight, we made a bad hire in his replacement. But the one after that is very much so far so good. I'm pleased with the road we're on now and the shape most of the team is in and wouldn't trade Maccagnan for him to return.

of course you can wait too long but we watched Tannenbaum build teams that gave us 2 legit shots at SBs, why couldn't he do it again? all of a sudden he now sucks and can never do that again?  2012 was his first losing season since 2007 and we booted him.  it really set the wheels in motion that culminated w/ the disaster last year.  you bring in Idzik and pair him w. rex and they were never on the same page.  Rex did an amazing job 2 years ago to get an extremely flawed team to .500 but couldn't work that same magic a year ago.

I am happy w/ where we are at but we know how quickly that can change.

of course you can wait too long but we watched Tannenbaum build teams that gave us 2 legit shots at SBs, why couldn't he do it again? all of a sudden he now sucks and can never do that again?  2012 was his first losing season since 2007 and we booted him.  it really set the wheels in motion that culminated w/ the disaster last year.  you bring in Idzik and pair him w. rex and they were never on the same page.  Rex did an amazing job 2 years ago to get an extremely flawed team to .500 but couldn't work that same magic a year ago.

I am happy w/ where we are at but we know how quickly that can change.

What I don't know if you understand or not, is Rex actually threw Tannenbaum under the bus in 12 to save his own hide. 

I think Tannenbaum was good when paired with a HC who could be trusted with personnel. If the HC could not be trusted with personnel, Tannenbaum was a disaster. Rex got almost every player he wanted his first 3 seasons, because Tanny was not a personnel guy and trusted his HC. He is from the Parcells way which is the GM should do the bidding for the HC, and allow the HC to pick the groceries.

I think Woody finally realized this, but made the horrible mistake of thinking that Rex was good enough to keep around, and all he needed to do is find a good GM to pair with Rex. Rex and Tanny should have been fired together, or given another year together to see if they could clean the crap out of their diapers. The right move would have been to get rid of both of them, they are both incompetent, and by 2012, this should have been crystal clear to anyone with a half functioning brain.

This whole thread started to point out that I think there's something with the way Tanny leads and builds teams that causes problems within the franchises he oversees.  With the Jets he doled out very large contracts to questionable players (either character or on field questions) that hamstrung the organization from a depth standpoint and for the most part his teams had problems with leaks and chemistry.  That's now happening again in Miami and two of the largest contracts were given out since he got there.

In the new NFL in order for a team to be successful they need to have a lot of depth (and certainly a top flight QB) because of all the injuries.  This is the area I see Tanny being very weak in.  I've also noticed that Tanny goes all in on a QB very early (Sanchez, Tannehill) before they've sustained success.  No depth.  Large contracts to unproven QB's.  That's a recipe for disaster.  Again...this is good for us.

The other benefit is that it seems that Rex's cult of personality has overwhelmed Whaley (the GM in Buffalo) and they are now bringing in many players that Rex wants.  We know how that works out...not well.  The guy has brought in 7 or 8 ex-Jets and an entire coaching staff.  The same players that got blown out 2x by the Bills last year and who couldn't win the past 4 seasons.  Meanwhile without Rex's input they collected a ton of talent over there and got above .500.  

Two great developments for us Jets fans...

What I don't know if you understand or not, is Rex actually threw Tannenbaum under the bus in 12 to save his own hide. 

I think Tannenbaum was good when paired with a HC who could be trusted with personnel. If the HC could not be trusted with personnel, Tannenbaum was a disaster. Rex got almost every player he wanted his first 3 seasons, because Tanny was not a personnel guy and trusted his HC. He is from the Parcells way which is the GM should do the bidding for the HC, and allow the HC to pick the groceries.

I think Woody finally realized this, but made the horrible mistake of thinking that Rex was good enough to keep around, and all he needed to do is find a good GM to pair with Rex. Rex and Tanny should have been fired together, or given another year together to see if they could clean the crap out of their diapers. The right move would have been to get rid of both of them, they are both incompetent, and by 2012, this should have been crystal clear to anyone with a half functioning brain.

I don't know that to be true but if true we should have cleaned house or let Rex be the GM or hire the GM.  It made no sense to bring in a new GM w/ rex still here. 

Rex was good enough, the GM wasn't.

This whole thread started to point out that I think there's something with the way Tanny leads and builds teams that causes problems within the franchises he oversees.  With the Jets he doled out very large contracts to questionable players (either character or on field questions) that hamstrung the organization from a depth standpoint and for the most part his teams had problems with leaks and chemistry.  That's now happening again in Miami and two of the largest contracts were given out since he got there.

In the new NFL in order for a team to be successful they need to have a lot of depth (and certainly a top flight QB) because of all the injuries.  This is the area I see Tanny being very weak in.  I've also noticed that Tanny goes all in on a QB very early (Sanchez, Tannehill) before they've sustained success.  No depth.  Large contracts to unproven QB's.  That's a recipe for disaster.  Again...this is good for us.

The other benefit is that it seems that Rex's cult of personality has overwhelmed Whaley (the GM in Buffalo) and they are now bringing in many players that Rex wants.  We know how that works out...not well.  The guy has brought in 7 or 8 ex-Jets and an entire coaching staff.  The same players that got blown out 2x by the Bills last year and who couldn't win the past 4 seasons.  Meanwhile without Rex's input they collected a ton of talent over there and got above .500.  

Two great developments for us Jets fans...

w/ the Jets he had just 2 losing seasons in his time here- one when Chad got hurt AGAIN and another in the middle of some cap issues after we went for it from 2008-2011.  we had 4 solid shots to make runs, we made runs 2 of those seasons.  he is the ONLY GM that has built teams in our history to make 2 title games giving us 2 legit shots at SBs.  Why is this man hated by Jet fans?

Archived