Tannenbaum

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree, but he's no lower than #4 even if I did. Mangini was horrendous. 

Kotite stands on his own.  Think we would all agree.  Don't know how old you are but Winner was in over his head, only got the job because Weeb was his father in law.  Holtz quit mid season, was in over his head, decided he was a college coach.  His claim to fame was having the Jets line up and sing a fight song.  And to get blown out on MNF with the team yuk it up on the sideline.  

Mangini was Lombardi compared to those three.  I can see the argument for putting him at 4 if you like Herm over Mangini.  Toss up to me.

This is based purely on what they did for the franchise not on coaching ability.  if it was BP might be #1.

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Rex Ryan

3. herm Edwards

4. Bill Parcells

5. Walt Michaels

6. Joe Walton

7. Bruce Coslet

8. Sammy Baugh

9. Eric Mangini

10. Charley Winner

11. Al Groh

12. Clyde Turner

13. Pete Carroll

14. Mike Holovak

15. Ken Shipp

16. Rich Kotite

17. Lou Holtz

I'm not a huge Parcells cheerleader but he did far more for the franchise than Herm. Well, more positive for the franchise.

He was dumb as a bag of rocks. Ryan, for all his many faults, could at least coach defense and come up with strategy on defense (however imperfectly it often was done).

Herm was an idiot's idiot, a fool's fool, and I'm trying to figure a way to finish the punchline of him being (ny)junc's junk. Help with joke, please. I have to run. :)

Screw them all. All 3 of them.

This is based purely on what they did for the franchise not on coaching ability.  if it was BP might be #1.

1. Weeb Ewbank

2. Rex Ryan

3. herm Edwards

4. Bill Parcells

5. Walt Michaels

6. Joe Walton

7. Bruce Coslet

8. Sammy Baugh

9. Eric Mangini

10. Charley Winner

11. Al Groh

12. Clyde Turner

13. Pete Carroll

14. Mike Holovak

15. Ken Shipp

16. Rich Kotite

17. Lou Holtz

Bruce Coslet getting the shaft here.

I think it was his own play on the field (the last straw being when he blew the Titans game by committing 3 turnovers on 3 consecutive possessions to end the game), on top of his general body of work before that, is what set the stage for his starting days here to end (Idzik drafting someone else). It didn't end it, but it did set the stage for Idzik to bring in someone else. Don't forget, Sanchez was guaranteed starter money for the 2013 season and, despite the earlier benching, he still started the last game of the season. To Ryan, Sanchez was Mr. "gives us the best chance to win." A lot of it was ego; he had to be right. And hell, he just liked Sanchez. In a lot of ways, they were cut from the same cloth. I honestly don't know who would have been the opening day starter if Sanchez was never put into the snoopy game, but I think it probably would have been Sanchez. He was coming off a bad game against Jacksonville, but Geno's performance against the Giants a week later was clearly worse.

This is one nyjunc has correct (or at a minimum, mostly correct).

Tannenbaum and Ryan were both huge Sanchez boosters. Sanchez was their guy. When he replaced Tannenbaum, Idzik (who had no ties to Sanchez himself) wanted to move on from him, and that someone else ended up being Geno. But with the guarantees in Sanchez's extension, he couldn't get rid of him just yet. What he could do was draft someone else early enough to warrant a true competition between the 2 right away.

Putting aside remarks about the Snoopy Trophy being the primary reason for putting him back in, the reason Sanchez went in that game was for Rex to show up Idzik. There was a power struggle between 2 guys who disagreed on who the team's QB should be (and whatever else they disagreed on; like Revis, undoubtedly). The only extent to which the Snoopy Trophy factored in was Rex's desire that his guy deliver it after Idzik's guy blew it. The point wasn't merely to win it, but specifically to have Sanchez win it. In coming to the rescue to win the game (and that dopey trophy none of the fans cared about), Sanchez would also win the starting job and Rex would have no more pressure/meddling/input on the subject from the Idzik peanut gallery by having Sanchez show an immediate, stark contrast between the two: Geno was horrible against the starters that game, Simms did better against the backups, so naturally Sanchez - who is better than Simms - would surely do better still against the backups, and the competition would be over. Sanchez wins, Geno loses :: Rex wins, Idzik loses. Rex wins his power struggle over some suit pressuring him who to play, and probably hoped this would also then tilt the stage for their future relationship in Ryan's favor. 

Of course none of that happened, and instead Sanchez got injured (which Ryan certainly didn't factor as a possibility despite our ragamuffin line against Giants-nobodies trying desperately to get Coughlin's attention). Hell, even Sanchez knew why he went in there, which is why he went off on (i.e. blamed) Idzik and not Ryan after he got injured. The following March, after unsuccessfully trying to trade him, Idzik released Sanchez outright. 

There is some really fun stuff in this thread but this is pretty much 100% accurate about things. FWIW when Rex pulled Sanchez it was a mercy killing because of the way the home crowd was treating him which is why he put him back in for the last game with the "concussion" being handed to McElroy a few days after his game. Idzik wanted nothing to do with Sanchez or pretty much anyone on the roster. Sanchez was going to be Rexs "in" to show the GM he shouldbe the decision maker. 

JMO, but part of the reason Woody eventually settled on Idzik was because he thought it would be run like Seattle where Carroll more or less runs the show and their GM handles the contracts, trades, etc...

I think Tanenbaum is finished after this season.  Dolphins will probably go at best 3-13 and the entire FO and CS will be purged.  Ross supposedly wants a big sexy name and coaching in Miami with 0 expectations would be attractive for someone like Gruden or Harbaugh.

I'm not a huge Parcells cheerleader but he did far more for the franchise than Herm. Well, more positive for the franchise.

He was dumb as a bag of rocks. Ryan, for all his many faults, could at least coach defense and come up with strategy on defense (however imperfectly it often was done).

Herm was an idiot's idiot, a fool's fool, and I'm trying to figure a way to finish the punchline of him being (ny)junc's junk. Help with joke, please. I have to run. :)

Screw them all. All 3 of them.

BP changed the culture and for that I will always be grateful BUT he also cost us peyton Manning AND Bill Belichick/Tom Brady so that knocks him down on my list.  all he had to do was commit to the Mannings before the '97 draft and Peyton comes out and we have a top 10 all time QB(though knowing BP he probably trades that pick).  If that wasn't good enough his relationship w/ BB led BB to try to get out from BP's shadow and had BP stayed we obviously don't trade him for a 1st rd pick, probably don't trade Key so there's no way we draft Chad and we have the same staff in place he had in NE in place here and we likely draft Brady(top 2-3 QB of all time) and it's our dynasty not NE's.

I think Tanenbaum is finished after this season.  Dolphins will probably go at best 3-13 and the entire FO and CS will be purged.  Ross supposedly wants a big sexy name and coaching in Miami with 0 expectations would be attractive for someone like Gruden or Harbaugh.

you do know Tannenbaum just got there in January, right?  that roster was constructed already for the most part before his arrival.

Archived