JetNation Week 5 FanDuel League

Maxman

Sick finish.  Gates destroyed my week but at least that guy was knocked out of first and a JNer took it.  Who is leeneanea?  I've seen him doing well all year.

Not sure who it is, but I was watching like a hawk too.

Basically rooting for my teams to make me back my entry, then after that for JNers to take the top spots.

I cannot tell you how many lineups I had Gates in, took him out, and used Charles Clay... oh well.

What does it matter? Are you saying you'd rather play against ten different lineups from ten different guys than ten lineups from the same guy? It's still ten distinct lineups. And, if it's such an advantage, why don't you put in more than ten bucks? Or are you suggesting your ten dollars should buy you the same chance to win as my one hundred?

it just makes it less interesting.  I play 2-5 entries per week but it's tough when of 360 entries maybe there are 50 distinct people.  I just think it ruins it a little.  

I'm sure it's just me but it was more fun last year when we had a cap of 5 entries.   Before someone claims it's just because I'm not going as well, I'm up 200 on the season in JN Fanduel.   Didn't do well last 2 weeks but still ok for the year.  

You aren't doing anything wrong, I'm just saying, for me at least, it takes a little away from it.  

Thanks Max for setting these up, it is fun, I finished 52nd this week, set my lineup over breakfast Sunday

I will play regardless but to add to the conversation; In the larger public leagues, it takes 220+ points to make the top 10, where a smaller league you are in the money in the 140's so normal people can win.  A local radio show did a 150 person league 3 max per person, filled up fast, lower prizes but it kept the full timer's away, I think JN could fill 150-200 easily especially if everyone knows it's only JN  - maybe even a 50/50 - then we can add a rule that you are disqualified if you have a pat* on your team :)

The problem with requesting a smaller pool is someone over there may decide that they're done losing money on the league.  If they do that the prizes will plummet and unless you finish in the top 3 you're only winning a miniscule amount.

While in theory less people and JN only sounds great we might not like what they do with the prize structure. 

we need to lower the max number of entries too.  At 12:45 there were about 230 in.  To see that many more by 1 is crazy.  It didn't happen week 1 or 2.  Is FD entering people to offset costs of the winnings?

yes, as is there right to.  They are paying out $4,330 for only $3,500 of entries.  If they want to ensure that they get  350 entries to get to that $3,500 combined entry revenue when they are guaranteeing $4,330 pay out, then I have no problem with them posting the league to fill it in the last 20 minutes.  

The problem with requesting a smaller pool is someone over there may decide that they're done losing money on the league.  If they do that the prizes will plummet and unless you finish in the top 3 you're only winning a miniscule amount.

While in theory less people and JN only sounds great we might not like what they do with the prize structure. 

My sons and I had a combined 10 entries this week for $100.  We hit pay dirt on 4 of them for a tidy little profit.  My two winners were 8th ($100) and 20th ($45).  Theirs finished 11th ($75) and 28th ($35).  $255 total return on $100 entries.  But this is not typical.  Up till now we were either breaking even or +/- $10 or $20, never winning anything more than $20 on any play.  This week, Bell, Rivers and Gates did very well for us on Monday night.

But I won't discuss how poorly we did in other Fanduel entries.  :(    This is why Fanduel is willing to lose $830 each week on JetNation.  They know full well that many of us are playing other, less charitable, tournaments and losing money on those.  I have no doubt they more than make up that $830 loss on all of out other entries.

I finally won with one team, got 20$ was in the money in 17th place and must have gotten kicked down a few pegs. I had one team right out of the money with Leveon Bell still to play, really thought he was going to take that team into the 20$ winnings but I guess not.

Thanks Max for setting these up, it is fun, I finished 52nd this week, set my lineup over breakfast Sunday

I will play regardless but to add to the conversation; In the larger public leagues, it takes 220+ points to make the top 10, where a smaller league you are in the money in the 140's so normal people can win.  A local radio show did a 150 person league 3 max per person, filled up fast, lower prizes but it kept the full timer's away, I think JN could fill 150-200 easily especially if everyone knows it's only JN  - maybe even a 50/50 - then we can add a rule that you are disqualified if you have a pat* on your team :)

This.

There is a completely different strategy for winning tournament style games vs. public pools. There's a degree of knowledge and time required for figuring it out. There's a reason why certain people can quit their jobs and do this full time.

I don't care what changes we make, as long as we stop opening it to the public at the last minute. I'd rather bet less, win less, and constrain the league to just you guys - as I said earlier, I like the idea of playing against my fake interwebz friends. 

I finally won with one team, got 20$ was in the money in 17th place and must have gotten kicked down a few pegs. I had one team right out of the money with Leveon Bell still to play, really thought he was going to take that team into the 20$ winnings but I guess not.

All those Antonio Gates lineups reshuffled everything.

All those Antonio Gates lineups reshuffled everything.

I was thinking that was it. First thing I did when I woke up was check the score to the Mets game, second thing was check who did what in the Steelers / Chargers game. Third thing was put a waiver claim in for Knile Davis on my 9 fantasy teams.

Blake Bortles blew up the boards this week. Two weeks ago it was the Chiefs kicker. You just never know. I'm not sure how these guys who are alleged experts would know any of this stuff, tbh. 

"Analysis from Rotogrinders conducted for Bloomberg shows that the top 100 ranked players enter 330 winning lineups per day, and the top 10 players combine to win an average of 873 times daily. The remaining field of approximately 20,000 players tracked by Rotogrinders wins just 13 times per day, on average."

uh huh.

I'm willing to do whatever, I've been pretty lucky this season.

Blake Bortles blew up the boards this week. Two weeks ago it was the Chiefs kicker. You just never know. I'm not sure how these guys who are alleged experts would know any of this stuff, tbh. 

They don't, not always. What I don't want to be throwing money at is their statistical analysis and algorithms, more often than not, that stuff is going to trump fluke performances.

For me, it's not a complaint as much as it is a wariness.  

I was thinking that was it. First thing I did when I woke up was check the score to the Mets game, second thing was check who did what in the Steelers / Chargers game. Third thing was put a waiver claim in for Knile Davis on my 9 fantasy teams.

Charcandrick West.

had Bortles in the $75, 11th place win.  Had Eli Manning, Rivers and Bradford in the other 3 winners (8th, 20th, 28th place, respectively).  

Never waste too much salary cap on a QB. 

prepare to be shocked.

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, not terribly worried though almost every league I picked up Doug Martin and Gurley so in the long run I should be alright (also picked up a RB in the first round in most of them so on top of Martin and Gurley I have either Bell, Peterson, or Forte) I do have Charles in 2 which hurts.

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, not terribly worried though almost every league I picked up Doug Martin and Gurley so in the long run I should be alright (also picked up a RB in the first round in most of them so on top of Martin and Gurley I have either Bell, Peterson, or Forte) I do have Charles in 2 which hurts.

your RB situation sounds way better than what I got going on in my leagues.  Try Hill and Hyde as your #1 and 2 on for size which is what I have going on with 1 team.

still ticked about that..  I had him in a couple lineups and took him out with some late Sat night reshuffling.  that definitely cost me over $100.

It is called tinkering. If you do it while pooping, then it's a stinker tinker. I'm notorious for them.

Had Martin in a few lineups and due to constant over analyzing I took him out of all of them except one.  SMH  On the flip side I have been in first place for the past few weeks in our JN pick em pool w/spread.  The reason?  I make my picks on Tuesday in less than 2 minutes and never go back to to edit them.  I just go with the first initial gut reaction.  Of course if there was money involved I would over analyze the height of grass on the field and lose money every week.  SMH

Archived