Pro Football Focus Grades: Jets Vs. Miami.

Villain The Foe

NYJ-MIA GRADES: CHRIS IVORY LEADS JETS’ OFFENSE

The top takeaways from Sunday’s NYJ-MIA game in London, including the highest graded players from each team.

BEN STOCKWELL | 3 DAYS AGO
(AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

(AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

Here are the top takeaways and highest-graded players from the Jets-Dolphins game:

Miami Dolphins

– Slumping to their third straight defeat, the Miami Dolphins and star signing Ndamukong Suh (+0.4) continue to confound and frustrate with inconsistent and disappointing performances. Suh impressed on a pair of plays, splitting Nick Mangold (-3.7) and Breno Giacomini (-0.5) to take power runs away behind the line of scrimmage. Still, he shares some culpability for the Dolphins being gutted up the middle too early, too often, allowing the game to get away from Miami.

– This was not a classic game in terms of quarterback performances, with Ryan Tannehill (-3.9) joining his counterpart Ryan Fitzpatrick (-5.4) in an ugly game, the two trying to out-do each other for poor accuracy and execution. Tannehill was strong on intermediate passes outside the numbers (four-for-seven, 54 yards, two touchdowns, +1.7 PFF passing grade) but struggled over the middle at the intermediate level, and was customarily unproductive on throws 20+ yards down the field (one-for-seven, 42 yards, one interception, -2.3 PFF passing grade) as he failed to come up with the plays to turn the tide for Miami, even though the Jets never quite put the game out of reach.

– This was a “Jekyll and Hyde” performance from Jarvis Landry, who dropped a pair of passes as a receiver (-2.3), but was his usual elusive self as a return man, racking up 189 return yards on eight kick and punt returns (+3.6). As a return man, Landry forced eight missed tackles to go with his two as a receiver, but a trio of drops over the last two weeks really limits a receiver who makes his living on short passes and needs to snag every catchable pass to maximize his efficiency.

Top performers:

LB Koa Misi (+2.5)

S Reshad Jones (+1.7)

RT Ja’Wuan James (+1.7)

CB Zackary Bowman (+1.6)

LT Jason Fox (+1.4)

New York Jets

– First-round pick Leonard Williams (+8.6) has gradually raised his game over the first three weeks of the season, and put on an absolute show at Wembley Stadium. Williams more than doubled his pass rushing production for the season, racking up 10 pressures (four hits, six hurries) to go with two stops against the run in a dominating performance.

– Keying the offense for the Jets was Chris Ivory, who racked up 110 yards after contact and broke nine Miami tackles en route to a career day. Ivory got yards all across the defensive front, but had particular joy running off of James Carpenter (+3.2), picking up 67 yards on eight carries either side of the Jets’ new left guard.

– As impressive as Ivory and Williams were, the Jets will be thankful that today’s game did not rest on the misfiring arm of Ryan Fitzpatrick (-5.4), whose best plays came on scrambles after evading pressure. Fitzpatrick earned a passing grade below -3.5 for the second week in a row, with his downfield passing (after a big completion to Brandon Marshall on the Jets’ first play from scrimmage) particularly problematic.

Top performers:

DE Leonard Williams (+8.6)

HB Chris Ivory (+5.2)

LG James Carpenter (+3.2)

DE Muhammad Wilkerson (+2.7)

ILB Demario Davis (+1.2)

Question remains, however, can our D make up for Ryan Fitzpatrick's weak arm? Or is our D good enough to make up for the stupid pics that we know Geno Smith will throw? 

What I dont understand is how does the NFL give Fitzpatrick a 91 QBR yet PFF gives Fitz a negative score? Its funny because Fitz game wasnt really great yet if you were to solely look at the QBR stats it would look like Fitz had the 2nd best QB peformance of all QB's on Sunday. 

I guess the more accurate conclusion would be somewhere in the middle. 

What I dont understand is how does the NFL give Fitzpatrick a 91 QBR yet PFF gives Fitz a negative score? Its funny because Fitz game wasnt really great yet if you were to solely look at the QBR stats it would look like Fitz had the 2nd best QB peformance of all QB's on Sunday. 

Guess it depends on the exact criteria ... I presume PFF is more situational?

In QBR terms, missing on a dump off pass would be the same as missing on a Hail Mary, as both simply count as incompletions. But if my QB is missing on dump off passes regularly, I'd be a lot more worried than if he's missing on Hail Marys. 

Similarly you can get an OK QBR while regularly throwing for 8 yards on 3rd and 10. Nice stats, but the result isn't what you want.

Guess it depends on the exact criteria ... I presume PFF is more situational?

In QBR terms, missing on a dump off pass would be the same as missing on a Hail Mary, as both simply count as incompletions. But if my QB is missing on dump off passes regularly, I'd be a lot more worried than if he's missing on Hail Marys. 

Similarly you can get an OK QBR while regularly throwing for 8 yards on 3rd and 10. Nice stats, but the result isn't what you want.

Which is why I feel like the PFF has a bit more relevancy here. I still think its more in the middle when it comes to both stats. I've seen craziness on PFF such as Dawan Landry being a top 10 safety in football a couple years back. I had to have laughed at that for atleast a week. 

with that said, watching that Jets game didnt give me the feeling like Fitz would have had the 2nd best performance of all QB's given the QBR. 

PFF gave Aaron Rodgers a negative grade in week 3. Not sure what I can actually take without a huge grain of salt from their site anymore.

He had a "meh" game against a reeling Niners team.  Left a lot of points on the field.  Which, according to the QB experts on JN, makes one a horrible QB.

QBR loves running QB's.  In their eyes, a QB scampering for a first down is basically just as valuable as a QB throwing for a first down.  Almost like baseball considering a walk as good as a hit. 

Fitz had a really efficient day when he chose to run.  According to their numbers he had the best day of any NFL QB at running it this past week.  So QBR took his so-so passing day, tacked on the runs, and gave him a really good rating.

I'd say you're right, that he didn't have a horrible day OR a particularly great day.  It was definitely somewhere in the middle.

You hear about yards after contact often with Ivory though its usually not as noticeable. This past Sunday though, wow. 

I don't recall a single time he went down on the first contact. Every single play he seemed to at least fall / drive forward for 2-3 yards after contact, and many he got away altogether and took a second set of hits to bring him down.

Beast!

I don't recall a single time he went down on the first contact. Every single play he seemed to at least fall / drive forward for 2-3 yards after contact, and many he got away altogether and took a second set of hits to bring him down.

Beast!

Maybe I said that wrong. I guess what I should have said was that Ivory's ability to gain yards after contact was even more on display on Sunday. I hear stat this week that was crazy. Of Ivory's 166 yards, over 100 was after first contact. Thats amazing, but not something thats accomplished every week in regards to the amount of yards. Ivory was in the zone for real. 

Maybe I said that wrong. I guess what I should have said was that Ivory's ability to gain yards after contact was even more on display on Sunday. I hear stat this week that was crazy. Of Ivory's 166 yards, over 100 was after first contact. Thats amazing, but not something thats accomplished every week in regards to the amount of yards. Ivory was in the zone for real. 

My reply was agreeing with you - he was certainly more Ivory-esque against Miami than elsewhere. The stat is impressive, but based on the "eye test" not overly surprising.

How much was down to Miami dogging it I'm not sure. But he abused them. And now the DC has been fired! :)

My reply was agreeing with you - he was certainly more Ivory-esque against Miami than elsewhere. The stat is impressive, but based on the "eye test" not overly surprising.

How much was down to Miami dogging it I'm not sure. But he abused them. And now the DC has been fired! :)

lol yeah, I just read it on nfl.com. You never see a team that changes coaches like this midseason suddenly make a run for the playoffs. It's basically a 3 team race in this division now. 

lol yeah, I just read it on nfl.com. You never see a team that changes coaches like this midseason suddenly make a run for the playoffs. It's basically a 3 team race in this division now. 

I'm just hoping that the coaching change can get them a couple of wins against NE / Buffalo, make it easier for us to challenge for the division. ;)

I think QBR is situational and you are unlikely to have a bad grade if you win or a very good one if you lose.  That is why Fitzpatrick's QBR is so much better than his rating.  Saying he wins and has a high QBR is like saying that a guy has a good completion percentage, INT/TD ratio and rating.  They go together.

perhaps.  It's amazing how little respect this team gets you'd think we were 1-5 not 3-1 even most jets fans b-tch because they keep listening to the media's nonsense about Fitz

Couldn't believe it when I heard Gannon say this is a four win team during the pre-season.  I know they're not proven, but how could you expect them to be any worse than top-five on defense and efficient on offense?  They made it to the AFCCG with embarrassingly bad QB play with Sanchez and a defense that's not as talented as this one.

perhaps.  It's amazing how little respect this team gets you'd think we were 1-5 not 3-1 even most jets fans b-tch because they keep listening to the media's nonsense about Fitz

it's crazy team is 3-1 and people are desperate to find something to hate on

Archived