Comeback Player of the Year

jgb

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

phillip rivers played in 16 the year before winning comeback player

Really?

Did he suck that bad the year before? 

Using this criteria, Fitz is not undeserving of the honor, but he was not horrible last year.

Biggest difference is the D on the other side of the ball supporting him.

Really?

Did he suck that bad the year before? 

Using this criteria, Fitz is not undeserving of the honor, but he was not horrible last year.

Biggest difference is the D on the other side of the ball supporting him.

To be honest I don't understand the award. personally i don't think it should be rewarded just for coming back from sucking. it should be injury, illness, personal strife, etc. but whoever decides the award didn't consult me :(

The obvious favorite is Adrian Peterson, assuming the voters (or whoever picks the award) finds it too distasteful to select him because of the reason he was out last year. But could Fitzpatrick bring home the hardware? I'd say he's in the conversation.

yes, a below average QB who has done very little clearly is right there for the CPOY award.  :lol:

To be honest I don't understand the award. personally i don't think it should be rewarded just for coming back from sucking. it should be injury, illness, personal strife, etc. but whoever decides the award didn't consult me :(

Agreed...he beats a helpless 5 year old with a branch, sits out all year and he gets come back player?

How about scumbag of the decade.

Ill have them contact you right away.  You are spot on.

Agreed...he beats a helpless 5 year old with a branch, sits out all year and he gets come back player?

How about scumbag of the decade.

Ill have them contact you right away.  You are spot on.

pretty disgusting that vick won in 2010 but nfl is different now so hopefully apete wont win. The strife you comeback from shouldnt be of YOUR OWN DOING. Eric berry would be an excellent choice.

Sanchez should be come back player he was on the Eagles last year and came back again this year.:lol:.

haha it never said you have to "come back" to playing well. What if a career JAG has one outlier year of excellence and then reverts back the next year. maybe he should win the award for coming back to sucking

Sanchez should be come back player he was on the Eagles last year and came back again this year.:lol:.

if he was starting they wouldn't be 1-3.  they went from averaging almost 30 PPg w/ Mark to almost half that amount so far w/ Bradford.

i'm sure losing mccoy and maclin had nothing to do with that

they have more than enough talent to have a good offense.

McCoy was not McCoy last year, he was a shell of himself.  Losing Maclin hurt but they have good WRs.

Sanchez will get a shot sooner than later, hopefully for them it's not too late.  you will see a huge difference.

And what, half their o-line?

even better point. murray has been exposed as being a product of the league's best OL. Mathews is the better player. Both are made of glass, though.

they have more than enough talent to have a good offense.

McCoy was not McCoy last year, he was a shell of himself.  Losing Maclin hurt but they have good WRs.

Sanchez will get a shot sooner than later, hopefully for them it's not too late.  you will see a huge difference.

their Oline is atrocious. and sanchez is a turnover machine. he looked ok last year because he had time to make decisions. this year, it won't be so easy. bradford for his faults is generally considered an accurate short to mid range passer who is decisive with a quick release. none of these describe sanchez. i think he'll be in trouble. but agree he will probably get a shot.

even better point. murray has been exposed as being a product of the league's best OL. Mathews is the better player. Both are made of glass, though.

their Oline is atrocious. and sanchez is a turnover machine. he looked ok last year because he had time to make decisions. this year, it won't be so easy. bradford for his faults is generally considered an accurate short to mid range passer who is decisive with a quick release. none of these describe sanchez. i think he'll be in trouble. but agree he will probably get a shot.

Imagine the excuses he'd be making for Sanchez if Mark was coming off 2 ACL tears like Bradford.  Dude hadn't thrown a regular season pass since November 2013.

he had time to make quick decisions?

you do know the Eagles OL wasn't very good a year ago? they did get a little healthier w/ Mark than early in the year and were a little better but they weren't the hogs.

Imagine the excuses he'd be making for Sanchez if Mark was coming off 2 ACL tears like Bradford.  Dude hadn't thrown a regular season pass since November 2013.

oh so we use the injury excuse for Bradford, go it.  you do know tat when mark stepped in for Foles he hadn't played since 2012, was coming off a major injury to his throwing shoulder and was on his 4th system in 4 years, right?  were you discussing that a year ago?  yet Mark stepped in and elevated that offense.

he had time to make quick decisions?

you do know the Eagles OL wasn't very good a year ago? they did get a little healthier w/ Mark than early in the year and were a little better but they weren't the hogs.

Is that your thing you just throw stuff out and hope no one bothers to check whether you are right?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/08/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/4/

2014 PFF Offensive Line Rankings

2. Philadelphia Eagles (1st)

Pass Blocking Ranking: 10th, Run Blocking Ranking: 1st, Penalties Ranking: 27th

Stud: In the conversation for best left tackle in the league right now, and if nothing else the run blocking of Jason Peters makes him the most fun to watch.

Dud: Credit to Todd Herremans for trying to gut it out, but the upshot was him being something of a liability in pass protection before going on Injured Reserve.

Breakdown: How did the line finish this highly with all the injuries they had? The replacements (Matt Tobin, Andrew Gardner and David Molk) all struggled so you can place their midseason renaissance down to getting their studs back. Peters and Lane Johnson were PFF All-Pro first teamers, Evan Mathis was on pace to be one, but missed some time, while Jason Kelce had the sixth-highest run blocking score of any center. A strong finish to the year for this unit.

1. Dallas Cowboys (4th)

Pass Blocking Ranking: 4th, Run Blocking Ranking: 2nd, Penalties Ranking: 2nd

Stud: He’s just a notch below the top tackles, but not by much. Tyron Smith (+21.6) is a rock in pass protection and can have his way with you in the run game.

Dud: Move along. There is nothing to see here. They all, at the very least, had good years.

Breakdown: Years of building through the draft paid off in spectacular fashion. It was already a pretty good line, but the selection of Zack Martin pushed them over the edge. Strong in pass protection and opening up running lanes that would get me to 1,000 yards, the Cowboys were a true joy to watch. Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together?

Is that your thing you just throw stuff out and hope no one bothers to check whether you are right?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/08/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/4/

Stud: In the conversation for best left tackle in the league right now, and if nothing else the run blocking of Jason Peters makes him the most fun to watch.

Dud: Credit to Todd Herremans for trying to gut it out, but the upshot was him being something of a liability in pass protection before going on Injured Reserve.

Breakdown: How did the line finish this highly with all the injuries they had? The replacements (Matt Tobin, Andrew Gardner and David Molk) all struggled so you can place their midseason renaissance down to getting their studs back. Peters and Lane Johnson were PFF All-Pro first teamers, Evan Mathis was on pace to be one, but missed some time, while Jason Kelce had the sixth-highest run blocking score of any center. A strong finish to the year for this unit.

Numbers are meaningless.  Only nyjunc's eyes tell the true story.

1. Dallas Cowboys (4th)

Pass Blocking Ranking: 4th, Run Blocking Ranking: 2nd, Penalties Ranking: 2nd

Stud: He’s just a notch below the top tackles, but not by much. Tyron Smith (+21.6) is a rock in pass protection and can have his way with you in the run game.

Dud: Move along. There is nothing to see here. They all, at the very least, had good years.

Breakdown: Years of building through the draft paid off in spectacular fashion. It was already a pretty good line, but the selection of Zack Martin pushed them over the edge. Strong in pass protection and opening up running lanes that would get me to 1,000 yards, the Cowboys were a true joy to watch. Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together?

would that be the same PFF that gave Aaron Rodgers a negative grade w/ 4 TDs and 0 INTs 2 weeks ago?

would that be the same PFF that gave Aaron Rodgers a negative grade w/ 4 TDs and 0 INTs 2 weeks ago?

They gave him a negative grade last week for having a "meh" game against a lackluster Niners team.  Given that Rodgers is easily PFF's top-rated QB this year, I find it hard to believe they gave him a negative grade 2 weeks in a row.

I don't buy PFF in any way. I try to watch football.

You don't buy statistics at all.  Which is how you come to the conclusions that Mark Sanchez was once a top 10 QB and Phillip Rivers is garbage.  Your eyes are the most subjective thing in the world.  Which is why you need numbers to keep things objective. 

I don't buy PFF in any way. I try to watch football.

So then you would agree a discussion with you is futile since you always fall back on "evidence" that is both impossible to prove or disprove and, which you can change at a whim since it is solely your own opinion

You don't buy statistics at all.  Which is how you come to the conclusions that Mark Sanchez was once a top 10 QB and Phillip Rivers is garbage.  Your eyes are the most subjective thing in the world.  Which is why you need numbers to keep things objective. 

It would be great if you ever read, I said Rivers was the most overrated- I never called him "garbage".  he's a good QB but to the average fan that just looks at fantasy #s they think he is one of the best.  he is not.

Sanchez was once a top 10ish QB in 2010 though his fantasy stats don't show that so the average fan thinks he sucked.  check how many big moments he came through for us that year, let me know what you find.

So then you would agree a discussion with you is futile since you always fall back on "evidence" that is both impossible to prove or disprove and, which you can change at a whim since it is solely your own opinion

posting PFF grades means absolutely nothing.  I am not an OL guru but when a top RB loses almost a yard on his YPC that would indicate at least a minor struggle on the OL and if they were #2 then the rest of the league was awful.

posting PFF grades means absolutely nothing.  I am not an OL guru but when a top RB loses almost a yard on his YPC that would indicate at least a minor struggle on the OL and if they were #2 then the rest of the league was awful.

Evan Mathis getting hurt was a driving force behind this.  Not to mention Shady being toast.

I'd say it means something. Sure we can disagree on the weight to place on such grades but in a discussion--which I was under the impression this was--all data is fair game to introduce. however it's obvious this is not a discussion since you just retreat to "evidence means nothing because i have my own opinion and no i won't share the analysis that led to that opinion with you." which is fine, but that's not a discussion.

Archived