Comeback Player of the Year

jgb

Actually he was top 10 in 2 area's tied for 1st with Matt Ryan in game winning drives and top 10 in pass attempts..

Being top 10 in pass attempts on a run-first team is never good news.  And while it's cool that he came back a few times that year, part of the reason some of those comebacks were necessary in the first place was his own inept play earlier in the game.  Not to mention 3 of the teams he "came back" on were Cleveland, Detroit, and Houston; all fairly bad teams that season.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being top 10 in pass attempts on a run-first team is never a good news.  And while it's cool that he came back a few times that year, part of the reason some of those comebacks were necessary in the first place was his own inept play earlier in the game.  Not to mention 3 of the teams he "came back" on were Cleveland, Detroit, and Houston; all fairly bad teams that season.

we weren't a run first team, we were a balanced team and when the run faltered his arm brought us back in numerous games to win.

Cleveland had just beaten NO at NO and NE.

the Houston comeback we were up 23-7 in the 4th, the D blew a big lead then w/ no TOs and under a minute he had to go about 70+ yds for the TD to win it.  I don't care if it was a pop warner D that was one of the greatest drives in Jets history.

don't forget w/ the season on the line how he set up our K for a chip shot to win the WC game at Indy.

Name me 10 better QBs in the season 2010?

I'd argue it's the purveyor's burden to support his opinion, not the world's burden to disprove any old unsupported thesis thrown out there. Try to convince us he was top-10. I love discussions like this.

Name me 10 better QBs in the season 2010?

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Ryan

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

Phillip Rivers

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

Tony Romo

Joe Flacco (25 TD's, 9 INT's)

Matt Schaub (24 TD's, 12 INT's)

Josh Freeman (25 TD's, 6 INT's)

Kyle Orton (20 TD's, 9 INT's)

Michael Vick (25 TD's, 9 INT's)

All were better than Mark Sanchez in 2010, among others.  Even Matt Cassel had a 27 TD, 7 INT season that year.  Compared to Sanchez, who had 17 TD's and 13 INT's. 

Too easy.

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Ryan

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

Phillip Rivers

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

Tony Romo

All were better than Mark Sanchez in 2010, among others.  Even Matt Cassel had a 27 TD, 7 INT season that year.  Compared to Sanchez, who had 17 TD's and 13 INT's. 

Too easy.

Where's Fitzmagic on that list? 

Being top 10 in pass attempts on a run-first team is never good news.  And while it's cool that he came back a few times that year, part of the reason some of those comebacks were necessary in the first place was his own inept play earlier in the game.  Not to mention 3 of the teams he "came back" on were Cleveland, Detroit, and Houston; all fairly bad teams that season.

In 2010 Sanchez had 17 tds and 13 picks Fitz with the Bills had 23 tds and 15 picks..

Where's Fitzmagic on that list? 

This was the lone season since 2009 where a Jet QB was as good as Fitzpatrick.  Given how lousy Sanchez was in 2009, 2011 and 2012, and the fact that he's a clipboard carrier today, it would be impossible to make a case that Sanchez is overall a better QB.  Like I said, even Matt Cassel had a 27 TD, 7 INT season that year.  Where is he now?

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Ryan

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

Phillip Rivers

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

Tony Romo

Too easy.

It is too easy, this list is comical w/ some of the names.

I am not saying Mark was better than Rivers but did you know in that weak division he had the #1 ranked D in the NFL and couldn't get to the playoffs? 

Carson Palmer threw 20 INTs, led his team to a 4-12 record.  yeah, he was better.

Tony Romo played 6 games, was 1-5 in those games.

I would say Flacco and mark were even

matt Schaub has always been a good fantasy QB, if you put him here you didn't watch him play.

Josh Freeman played a creampuff sched, was never truly in playoff race.  Lost to every good team they played except week 17 when NO rested starters

Kyle Orton has always been terrible. led Den to 3-10 record

Vick was excellent that year

Eli manning threw TWENTY FIVE INTs including 4 in the biggest game of the year in week 16 which ultimately decided a playoff spot.

seriously? this is your list?:lol:

I'd argue it's the purveyor's burden to support his opinion, not the world's burden to disprove any old unsupported thesis thrown out there. Try to convince us he was top-10. I love discussions like this.

led us to 11 wins

had struggling run game most of the season

3 Tds vs. NE week 2 after disastrous start for team week earlier

missing top WR for first 4 games, led team to 3-1 record in that span

w/ Holmes already out and Edwrads suspended for a qtr at Miami(who swept us in '09) he led us to 14 pts that 1st qtr and sealed that game late w/ long drive

led 4 reg season comebacks: at den, at Cle, at Det(down 10 w/ 4 mins left) and vs. Hou

set up K for GW FG in WC game on the rd for chip shot FG to win it

had 2 bogus INts credited to him vs. GB or #s would have looked much better

In monsoon as Favre was turning it over all night he didn't turn it over once vs. Minny

3 TDs in div rd at NE including perfect TD throw to Holmes to give us 21-11 lead moments after NE pulled w/in 3.

nearly brought us back from 24-0 at Pitt in title game

led us to 11 wins

had struggling run game most of the season

3 Tds vs. NE week 2 after disastrous start for team week earlier

missing top WR for first 4 games, led team to 3-1 record in that span

w/ Holmes already out and Edwrads suspended for a qtr at Miami(who swept us in '09) he led us to 14 pts that 1st qtr and sealed that game late w/ long drive

led 4 reg season comebacks: at den, at Cle, at Det(down 10 w/ 4 mins left) and vs. Hou

set up K for GW FG in WC game on the rd for chip shot FG to win it

had 2 bogus INts credited to him vs. GB or #s would have looked much better

In monsoon as Favre was turning it over all night he didn't turn it over once vs. Minny

3 TDs in div rd at NE including perfect TD throw to Holmes to give us 21-11 lead moments after NE pulled w/in 3.

nearly brought us back from 24-0 at Pitt in title game

These are all good arguments that he did positive things and maybe even that he hasn't been given enough credit for those things. But in order to support the statement he was "top 10" you need comparators. Without context, how are we to know how all these measures up against the other QBs in 2010 and whether it puts him in the top 10 conversation?

These are all good arguments that he did positive things and maybe even that he hasn't been given enough credit for those things. But in order to support the statement he was "top 10" you need comparators. Without context, how are we to know how all these measures up against the other QBs in 2010 and whether it puts him in the top 10 conversation?

I discussed those other supposed better QBs in the other post.

guys like Josh Freeman who put up better #s but didn't have playoff pressure and beat no one decent except for the meaningless week 17 game.

Eli manning threw 25 INTs including 4 at GB in the game that decided the last WC spot.

etc...

This was the lone season since 2009 where a Jet QB was as good as Fitzpatrick.  Given how lousy Sanchez was in 2009, 2011 and 2012, and the fact that he's a clipboard carrier today, it would be impossible to make a case that Sanchez is overall a better QB.  Like I said, even Matt Cassel had a 27 TD, 7 INT season that year.  Where is he now?

I was just wondering what was Fitz stats that season. Sanchez isnt a Jet but he's about to be the starter for the Eagles not too far from now then he'll get a fair assessment 

I discussed those other supposed better QBs in the other post.

guys like Josh Freeman who put up better #s but didn't have playoff pressure and beat no one decent except for the meaningless week 17 game.

Eli manning threw 25 INTs including 4 at GB in the game that decided the last WC spot.

etc...

You're probably onto something with the playoff thing. He performed like a top 10 QB in the playoffs I have to admit. Before people say "he wasn't dominant and didn't take over games" they need to consider that there is a huge dropoff from top 3 to 7-10.

However, one thing I will say is you, and all of us, know the Jets REALLY well. So we can understand and articulate the reasons for "poor" performances--i.e. this guy was hurt, no weapons, etc. Lots of those other QBs--Eli comes to mind--there are many similar excuses available as to why he threw 25 picks that year.

You're probably onto something with the playoff thing. He performed like a top 10 QB in the playoffs I have to admit. Before people say "he wasn't dominant and didn't take over games" they need to consider that there is a huge dropoff from top 3 to 7-10.

However, one thing I will say is you, and all of us, know the Jets REALLY well. So we can understand and articulate the reasons for "poor" performances--i.e. this guy was hurt, no weapons, etc. Lots of those other QBs--Eli comes to mind--there are many similar excuses available as to why he threw 25 picks that year.

in postseason he was excellent for us.

we can make excuses for all players, Mark was hurt in that 2010 postseason and played great(outside of the 1st halves at Indy and Pitt). 

Eli had as many weapons as we had and threw 25 picks and he was a long time vet.  2 years ago he threw 30 I think.

I have never claimed Mark to be great but I do think he gets way too much crap from Jet fans.  he had a good rookie season, he was very good year 2, middle of the pack year 3 and awful year 4 but post 2010 they kept stripping away talent and expected him to get better.  It wasn't fair, it sucks he had to get hurt in 2013.

we can make excuses for all players, Mark was hurt in that 2010 postseason and played great(outside of the 1st halves at Indy and Pitt). 

Eli had as many weapons as we had and threw 25 picks and he was a long time vet.  2 years ago he threw 30 I think.

I have never claimed Mark to be great but I do think he gets way too much crap from Jet fans.  he had a good rookie season, he was very good year 2, middle of the pack year 3 and awful year 4 but post 2010 they kept stripping away talent and expected him to get better.  It wasn't fair, it sucks he had to get hurt in 2013.

i think jets make playoffs in 13 with sanchez healthy although does seem idzik was pulling the strings for geno to start regardless i guess we will never know

I agree he played well in the playoffs but his rookie season he had 12 tds and 20 picks no way can any sane fan call that good..

I agree he played well in the playoffs but his rookie season he had 12 tds and 20 picks no way can any sane fan call that good..

His INts came in bunches, 15 of them in just 4 games.  the other 11 he only had 5 INTs.  he played well a majority of that season then stepped up in postseason.

i think jets make playoffs in 13 with sanchez healthy although does seem idzik was pulling the strings for geno to start regardless i guess we will never know

I think we would have too but Idzik was forcing rex's hand.  it sucks, he should still be here but he's gone.  I'm rooting for Fitz and if Geno plays I will root for him.  We have an excellent cast around the QB. 

I was just wondering what was Fitz stats that season. Sanchez isnt a Jet but he's about to be the starter for the Eagles not too far from now then he'll get a fair assessment 

He was the Eagle starter last year, and was relegated back to the bench.  That was his shot at a "fair assessment" and he blew it.

He was the Eagle starter last year, and was relegated back to the bench.  That was his shot at a "fair assessment" and he blew it.

he played really well and was paid well to compete for the starting job.  The QB he got was the #1 overall pick and has all the physical tools so that is tantalizing.  he made as mistake and hopefully for mark he admits that mistake and goes to him before he ruins the entire season for Philly.

The Eagles Mark Sanchez was better than the Mark Sanchez of the Jets. Thats also a fair assessment. 

I don't know about that in 2011 he had 26 tds and 18 picks in his time with the Eagles he did have a better pass completion number at 64% but had 14 tds and 11 picks in 9 games..

I don't know about that in 2011 he had 26 tds and 18 picks in his time with the Eagles he did have a better pass completion number at 64% but had 14 tds and 11 picks in 9 games..

he had 32 total TDs in 2011(a Jets record) BUT while his #s were better than 2010 he wasn't anywhere near as good.  He was mediocre that season.

You have to project his numbers. Sanchez didnt play all 16 games but there were a couple games where Sanchez was impressive. 

You have to project his numbers. Sanchez didnt play all 16 games but there were a couple games where Sanchez was impressive. 

Most games he was outside of the GB and Seattle games.  Philly missed the playoffs b/c they couldn't stop anyone.  yes mark had some bad TOs, that is who he is.  he will have those but had far more good plays than bad.

Archived