Muhammad Wilkerson ~ ~ ~

kelly

Muhammad Wilkerson stood in a corner of a crowded Wembley Stadium locker room, putting his jacket on when a few reporters approached Sunday. Wilkerson smiled and pointed out the reporters had been busy talking to other guys before him.

That’s the way Wilkerson must feel these days — overlooked.

Overlooked by the organization that did not sign him to a long-term deal this offseason, and largely overlooked by the media and fans despite a red-hot start to the season.While new acquisitions Brandon Marshall, Darrelle Revis, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Buster Skrine are drawing much of the attention, along with bruising back Chris Ivory, Wilkerson is doing what he always does, going about his business and making plays.Wilkerson has been an absolute beast for the Jets so far. He leads the team with 3.5 sacks, which is tied for fifth in the NFL. He has a forced fumble and 12 quarterback hurries.But statistics never tell the full story with Wilkerson, part of the problem for him as he and his agent argue for a new deal with the Jets. You have to actually watch Wilkerson to appreciate him. The way the Jets’ front office has refused to give him a new deal makes you wonder if they have.

The Jets ask Wilkerson to play multiple spots on the defensive line. He can be anywhere from the tackle’s outside shoulder to right over the center, and he never seems to flinch.For his performance against the Dolphins, Wilkerson was given his second game ball of the young season and named defensive player of the game by the team. Wilkerson was in the Miami backfield all day, harassing quarterback Ryan Tannehill and shutting down the Dolphins’ run game.This comes two weeks after he tore up the Colts. In that Monday night game, he caused two interceptions with his pressure, almost blocked a punt and drew two holding calls because the Colts could not stop him any other way.

The website Pro Football Focus has him graded as the No. 2 defensive end in a 3-4 system in the NFL behind all-everything J.J. Watt.

You might think Wilkerson is on a mission because of his contract, but that’s not Wilkerson’s style. This is simply how good he is, which makes it puzzling why the Jets failed to get something done with him before the season started. Wilkerson cut off negotiations when the season started.Those familiar with the negotiations said the sides never even came close to a deal. Despite proclamations from general manager Mike Maccagnan that the team’s “intention” was to sign Wilkerson long-term, the Jets never made an offer Wilkerson had to seriously consider.

Wilkerson is thriving in coach Todd Bowles’ one-gap system and should lead to bigger pass-rushing numbers for him. Bowles is not Rex Ryan. He does not lavish praise on players just for the heck of it. But he speaks about Wilkerson with admiration.“I think Mo is good in any scheme,” Bowles said a few weeks ago. “He’s just one of those players. He can play two-gap, 3-4, 4-3. His ceiling is as high as he wants it to be. He’s a heck of a player.”

Now, Wilkerson’s price just continues to climb with each week he plays like this.

Depending on whom you ask around the NFL, the Jets may be able to pay both Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson long-term or they may have to choose. No one can deny Richardson is a dynamic player, but if the Jets have to choose it should be Wilkerson. He is more versatile and less of a headache. Richardson is one bad night away from a 10-game suspension. The Jets won’t have to pay Richardson until 2017, at the earliest, but that is on the horizon when considering whether to pay Wilkerson.Sheldon Richardson

The Jets can put the franchise tag on him this winter, which will cost them about $16 million. People have floated the idea of a tag-and-trade, but those are very difficult. The Jets also should learn from trading Darrelle Revis two years ago that trading one of your best players is not smart.With Revis, the Jets missed a chance to have a homegrown star in their uniform from the start of his career to the finish. How many of those have they had in their history? Wayne Chrebet, Al Toon, Mark Gastineau, Wesley Walker, that’s about it. Even Joe Namath finished his career in a different uniform.

The Jets can’t make the same mistake with Wilkerson. He has been overlooked for too long.

Playoff talk not crazy

It is safe for Jets fans to start dreaming about the playoffs. Now, you may think that is crazy because they are just 3-1 and Ryan Fitzpatrick is their quarterback. But take a look at their remaining schedule. Of the 10 teams left, only one opponent currently is above .500 and looks like it is actually good — the Patriots (who else?).But line up the Redskins, Raiders, Jaguars, Bills, Texans, Dolphins, Giants, Titans and Cowboys and tell me which one you are certain about.At best, they are a question mark — like the Cowboys waiting for the return of injured stars Tony Romo and Dez Bryant. At worst, they are a dysfunctional mess — like the Dolphins, who fired coach Joe Philbin on Monday after the Jets’ 27-14 goodbye present.

The others are mostly mediocre. They will have some good weeks and some bad weeks.

You might argue the Jets fall into the same category. But the Jets’ defense looks elite, and the running game with Chris Ivory is going to carry them to some wins. With traditional AFC North powers the Ravens and Steelers looking like they might have down years, the door is open for a wild-card spot from the AFC East.There is a long way to go until January, but Jets fans who are dreaming of playoff football for the first time in five years are not crazy.

>   http://nypost.com/2015/10/07/jets-must-find-way-to-sign-muhammad-wilkerson-long-term/?ref=yfp

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

That may be the way they go Mo may be out pricing himself off the team.. Sheldon with all his problems may be easier to sign..

i think you are getting ahead of yourself with Sheldon. they might not want to re-sign him either. he is too cheap right now and they still control him for the rest of this year, and 2-3 more years if they choose

That may be the way they go Mo may be out pricing himself off the team.. Sheldon with all his problems may be easier to sign..

Mo was the best player on the field for us on Sunday. Dude is a relentless monster. He's Klecko-good.

Only Jets fans "the guy is playing too good to be a Jet!"

I actually noticed that.  Not that there is anything wrong with being fat.

Sheldon does look fat...but he has at least two hits on the QB in each game.  He has flashed.  Mo and Revis easily look like our two best defensive players, far and away.  Leonard has a ways to go and do we want Sheldon helping him get there as Mo signs elsewhere?  

if he plays like watt yes but he isnt and if ryan fitzpatrick played like brady id give him 20 mill

It's strange why Mo isn't signed they just say they are far apart. I think Mo thinks he should be paid like Watt because players with Mo's skill level are signed all the time by their teams.. Brady is making 14 million this year would you give Mo that?? I wouldn't here's a list of 3-4 DE contracts  http://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-end/

It's strange why Mo isn't signed they just say they are far apart. I think Mo thinks he should be paid like Watt because players with Mo's skill level are signed all the time by their teams.. Brady is making 14 million this year would you give Mo that?? I wouldn't here's a list of 3-4 DE contracts  http://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-end/

12 million a year makes him the #2 in football, after Watt.

you think it but who knows what truth is. Fact is i want jets players to play best as possible. If we lose guys later oh well but to hope guys play worse so theyre cheaper is wuite frankly insane imho

where was Mo in the second half of the Pat game , he never makes a big play with the game on the line, the Jets is not going to pay someone the big bucks for 12 sacks year

If he got 12 sacks a year, he deserves to be paid more than Suh...who has never had more than 10.  

Wilkerson is the #2 rated run defensive dlineman, after Snacks in the entire NFL.

Better against the pass than Suh, better against the run than Suh and Watt...but he doesnt deserve to get paid like them...bad news for the board, he's better than Suh, by a mile, so he will be paid a hair short of Suh and Watt money...by the Jets or someone else.

Then we'll be 1 strike from Sheldon getting a 1 year suspension (all he has to do is be late for a single piss test, and he's out 1 year), and Williams with 21 tackles and 0.5 sacks while not be the focus of ANY offensive game plan...

Yep, let him walk and see what 0 sacks from him looks like and a dline with Douzable as a starter and ....behind him.  Doesnt sound appetizing to me.  Sometimes you dont know what you have till it's gone, right John Abraham and Hugh Douglas?  (yes, lets not argue 3-4 and 4-3 here with any history lessons, thanks)...

If he got 12 sacks a year, he deserves to be paid more than Suh...who has never had more than 10.  

Wilkerson is the #2 rated run defensive dlineman, after Snacks in the entire NFL.

Better against the pass than Suh, better against the run than Suh and Watt...but he doesnt deserve to get paid like them...bad news for the board, he's better than Suh, by a mile, so he will be paid a hair short of Suh and Watt money...by the Jets or someone else.

Then we'll be 1 strike from Sheldon getting a 1 year suspension (all he has to do is be late for a single piss test, and he's out 1 year), and Williams with 21 tackles and 0.5 sacks while not be the focus of ANY offensive game plan...

Yep, let him walk and see what 0 sacks from him looks like and a dline with Douzable as a starter and ....behind him.  Doesnt sound appetizing to me.  Sometimes you dont know what you have till it's gone, right John Abraham and Hugh Douglas?  (yes, lets not argue 3-4 and 4-3 here with any history lessons, thanks)...

where did you get 1 year suspension from?

where did you get 1 year suspension from?

He has a 4 game suspension under his belt, right?  He has another suspension pending, right, set to be executed in 2016 for the drag race, child endangerment, weed in the car incident, right?  Then what happens when he gets in trouble again...

He has a 4 game suspension under his belt, right?  He has another suspension pending, right, set to be executed in 2016 for the drag race, child endangerment, weed in the car incident, right?  Then what happens when he gets in trouble again...

for a dirty urine? 10 games. they are separate issues

plus i don't think his latest issue will amount to much. i doubt he gets suspended

Suh is a DT Mo is a DE why not post a link or is that just your opinion?? Here's one that has him behind Sheldon and others.. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1997713-br-nfl-1000-top-35-3-4-defensive-ends/page/30

Suh is a DT Mo is a DE why not post a link or is that just your opinion?? Here's one that has him behind Sheldon and others.. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1997713-br-nfl-1000-top-35-3-4-defensive-ends/page/30

Mo is 315lbs and Suh is 320.  I don't feel either is a NT, or 4-3 DE, so I think if Suh was a Jet instead of Wilkerson, he'd play 3-4 DE beside Snack and Sheldon on the other side, much like Wilkerson.  So I think its comparable in my simple mind.  I think Wilkerson is shooting for Watt and Suh deals.  He's shooting for this and the Jets are hoping for Jordan and Heyward like deals.  I think it will be much closer to Watt/Suh money, but a hair less.  So if he's shooting for Suh/Watt type deals, doesnt his comparison need to be their production, vs the run and pass?  He scores higher than Suh on both, pass and run, and higher than Watt vs the run, obviously Watt is the most elite defensive line pass rusher. So the argument he's not elite, his production is with the elite, better than the overrated Suh who plays when he wants to play.  People complain about when Wilkerson's production comes..Suh disappears entire games.  IE, see our game.  Wilkerson can make an easy case he's better than Suh and his xxx deal.   

Do you have the link for your stats??

Do you have a link for your stats??

Archived