Muhammad Wilkerson ~ ~ ~

kelly

Just now, kelly said:

~ ~  Muhammad Wilkerson: Sides haven't appeared close on a new deal in a long while. With Making the Leap candidate Leonard Williams in-house, the Jets might feel they already have Mo's eventual replacement.

rest of above article : 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000674600/article/franchise-tag-deadline-primer-who-will-get-new-deal

Williams is not Mo Wilk 

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STOP 

Revis is still better than any player in the Patriots secondary, 

Who the f*** cares about one player being better than another?

Revis is a non-impact, non-game changing player the Jets decided to overpay because Woody wanted to appease the fans.

Smart teams spend that kind of money on players who can dominate games, like a QB or a DE.

Paying Revis that ridiculous contract, and not extending Mo, is the equivalent of drafting a friggn' kicker in the 2nd round.

Again, SOJ.

14 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Who the f*** cares about one player being better than another?

Revis is a non-impact, non-game changing player the Jets decided to overpay because Woody wanted to appease the fans.

Smart teams spend that kind of money on players who can dominate games, like a QB or a DE.

Paying Revis that ridiculous contract, and not extending Mo, is the equivalent of drafting a friggn' kicker in the 2nd round.

Again, SOJ.

So you admit he's better than any player in the Patriots secondary,

So you admit he's better than any player in the Patriots secondary,

Butler won a Super Bowl for the Pats.

Revis got burnt for a TD because he couldn't fight through the back judge.

Butler salary: $750, 000

Revis salary: $17,000,000

You see why the Jets have been in the Pats rear view mirror for the last 15 friggn' years?

Sign an overrated CB in the twilight of his career instead of extending a top 3 DE in the prime of his career?

SOJ.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Butler won a Super Bowl for the Pats.

Revis got burnt for a TD because he couldn't fight through the back judge.

Butler salary: $750, 000

Revis salary: $17,000,000

You see why the Jets have been in the Pats rear view mirror for the last 15 friggn' years?

Sign an overrated CB in the twilight of his career instead of extending a top 3 DE in the prime of his career?

SOJ.

Butler sucks 1 play wonder. 

Casserly is the man.  He just broke down the Wilk situation on NFL Network.  (Plus he's supported Macc for not caving to Fitz's insane demands.)

Regarding Wilk:

1. Sheldon outplayed Wilk in 2014.
  2. Wilk has been inconsistent, including in college.
  3. Perhaps only playing at high level because of contract years.  What better than to franchise him then?
  4. Obviously only keeping two out of Wilk, Sheldon and Williams.  And Williams is just about guaranteed.
  5. Draft ratings were as follows from best to worst: Williams, Sheldon, Wilk
  6. Next offseason will be the time when Macc decides between Sheldon and Wilk.  

My guess is it'll come down to whether Sheldon has matured or not.  I'd imagine performance wise, Wilk and Sheldon will be similar.

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Inconsistent and Wilkerson does not belong in the same sentence, he is the most consistently awesome non-Watt 300+ pounder in the league. Sheldon wishes, and g'luck to him in his quest for Suh+ money in time.

although, I still don't agree with all of your opinions on the Wilkerson situation, I want to be the 1st to go on record and state I was wrong and you were right about a contract extension. I didn't think they would extend him. good for mo wilks. always liked the player. just thought the jets have too many defensive ends

Inconsistent and Wilkerson does not belong in the same sentence, he is the most consistently awesome non-Watt 300+ pounder in the league. 

Watt takes over games and dominates in crunch time when the games are on the line.

Has Mo ever made a big play when the game was on the line?

4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Watt takes over games and dominates in crunch time when the games are on the line.

Wilk is as solid a lineman as we have had in decades.  My only minor complain is his speed.  He is no JJ Watt...but he's better than any PAT right now.

54 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Wilk is as solid a lineman as we have had in decades.  My only minor complain is his speed.  He is no JJ Watt...but he's better than any PAT right now.

No other player in the NFL is JJ Watt we got the next best thing

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Mo has made plenty of plays with the game on the line you just didn't notice them because he's standing up blockers. Watt is an edge rusher in a DTs body. Mo is not that. Mo will never be that but he's great at what he does. Williams has the potential to become that one day...potentially.  

The New York Jets hit a home run on the Muhammad Wilkerson contract.

With details of the five-year, $85 million deal now available, via ESPN data, it's easier to evaluate the impact and scope of the contract from a team perspective. Three reasons why it's a great deal for the Jets :

1. By striking a long-term agreement before last Friday's league-wide deadline, the Jets bought an extra three years (2018-20) for the modest sum of $2.5 million. Let's explain. Wilkerson was due to make $15.7 million on the franchise tag, and there's a chance he could've been tagged again next year for $18.8 million. Basically, it would've been like a two-year, $34.5 million contract. He would've been a goner in 2018 because the amount of the franchise tag would've been prohibitive. Under the new deal, he gets $37 million for the first two years, but the Jets own his contractual rights for an additional three years. That's huge for the Jets.

2. The structure of the deal dovetails nicely with Sheldon Richardson's contractual status. The Jets are locked into Wilkerson for 2016 and 2017, with $36.75 million of his $37 million fully guaranteed. (The only non-guaranteed compensation is a $250,000 workout bonus in '17.) His 2018 base salary ($16.75 million) doesn't become fully guaranteed until the third day of the '18 league year, meaning the Jets can cut him without crushing their salary cap (a $9 million hit). The Jets have Richardson on a fixed salary for '16 and '17 (fifth-year option). If they sign him to a long-term deal or use the franchise tag in '18 and don't want to pay major bucks to two defensive linemen, they have the option of keeping Richardson and parting with Wilkerson.

3. They lowered Wilkerson's cap charge by $5.7 million by doing the long-term contract. Instead of $15.7 million, the hit drops to $10 million -- a $4.5 million roster bonus (payable Wednesday), a $2.5 million base salary and a $3 million pro-ration on his $15 million signing bonus. The additional cap room provides more flexibility as they attempt to negotiate a deal with free-agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Wilkerson is a very rich man with contract that averages $17.2 million per year -- Ndamukong Suh is the only defensive lineman with a higher APY -- but it also helps the team in the short and long term. A breakdown :

2016 -- Total compensation: $22 million. Signing bonus: $15 million. Roster bonus: $4.5 million. Base salary: $2.5 million fully guaranteed. Cap charge: $10 million.

2017 -- Total compensation: $15 million. Base salary: $14.75 million fully guaranteed. Workout bonus: $250,000. Cap charge: $18 million.

2018 -- Total compensation: $17 million. Base salary: $16.75 million (guaranteed for injury only at time of signing). Workout bonus: $250,000. Cap charge: $20 million.

2019 -- Total compensation: $15.5 million. Base salary: $15.25 million. Workout bonus: $250,000. Cap charge: $18.5 million.

2020 -- Total compensation: $16.5 million. Base salary: $16.25 million. Workout bonus: $250,000. Cap charge: $19.5 million.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61306/how-the-jets-scored-with-muhammad-wilkersons-new-contract

On Wednesday, five days after he finally received a lucrative contract from the Jets, defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson spoke to reporters on a conference call. One notable topic covered — Wilkerson's broken leg. He sustained the injury in the Jan. 3 season finale loss at the Bills.

All along, it never appeared the injury might jeopardize Wilkerson's status for the 2016 season opener against the Bengals, on Sept. 11.  And sure enough, Wilkerson reiterated Wednesday that he'll be ready for Week 1, even though he isn't sure when he'll be able to practice during training camp. The Jets report to camp next Wednesday. 

"Rehab is going well," he said. "I'm running four times a week and just taking it day by day." Wilkerson said he's been running four times a week "for a few weeks" now. 

Could he start camp on the physically unable to perform list, due to his leg? "I don't know right now," he said. "I'm just going to continue to keep rehabbing. And whatever the strength coaches and training staff have in store for me, that's what I'm going to keep on doing. I'll be ready for Week 1. "When the training staff and the strength coaches and the coaches feel that it's time for me to get out there on the [practice] field, and I'm ready to go, then I'll be out there." 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/jets_mo_wilkerson_on_broken_leg_ill_be_ready_for_w.html#incart_river_index

Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, a player of great deeds and measured words, spoke with Jets reporters today for the first time following his signing of a long-term contract last week to stay with the team. One unmistakable message he left the media with is that he's happy to have this process behind him so he can continue to focus on what he does best, play football for the J-E-T-S.

Here are seven questions and answers from Mo's conference call :

On how he feels now that the deal is done...

"I'm thankful to Mr. [Woody] Johnson and the Jets organization and I'm glad that my agent got the deal done for me and everyone in my support system. I'm ready to get things rolling now. I don't have to focus on the contract situation and I can continue with my rehab and get ready for the season."

On how his rehab from the broken leg suffered in last seasons finale is going...

"The rehab is going well. I'm running four times a week, just taking it day by day. ... I've been [running] for a few weeks. I'm just going to continue my routine, keep following up with the strength room and the training staff and do whatever they have in store for me."

On how good the Jets defense can be in 2016...

"The sky's the limit for this defense. We can be as good as we want to be, as long as everybody's putting in the work each and every day and pushing each other to be great."

On if the Jets as a team are playoff-bound this season ahead...

"I think we've just got to keep building off of last year. We had a good record, 10-6. We've just got to make sure we build off of that and make sure we get to the postseason."

On how important it was to get a deal done to remain with the Jets...

"I definitely wanted to be here. I'm from New Jersey, I'm from here, my family's here, I want to raise my children here. I'm really excited to be back here."

On if he'll be ready to practice a week from today for the start of training camp or will start the summer on the PUP list...

"I'm just focusing on my leg, rehabbing each and every day. When the training staff and the strength coaches and the coaches feel it's time for me to get out there on the field and be ready to go, I'll be out there."

On if his plans are to be ready to suit up and play in the Jets' opener against the Bengals on Sept. 11...

"Yeah, I'll be ready for Week 1."

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Mo-Wilkerson-7-Questions--Answers/85c5a891-cd92-412e-9957-d643eefa4e93

Between Le'veon Bell's suspension and now with what's going on with Ezekiel Elliot, I can't over emphasize enough how happy I am we signed Mo.  Character issues are such a major factor in sports.  "Good guys" like Mo, Harris, Decker, etc. are even more valuable now than they've ever been...

-- As expected, the New York Jets opened training camp on Thursday by placing defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson on the physically-unable-to-perform list. It means he hasn't been cleared to practice.Wilkerson, who signed a five-year, $86 million contract two weeks ago, is seven months removed from surgery to repair a fractured leg. He may take a few days, perhaps longer before he starts practicing.

The Jets are being cautious, as the goal is to get him ready for the season opener. Wilkerson has vowed to be ready for Week 1.Other players on the PUP list: Devin Smith, Khiry Robinson, James Carpenter, Breno Giacomini and Kendall James. They can be activated at any time. The most seriously injured is Smith, who had knee surgery last December.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61554/jets-place-muhammad-wilkerson-on-pup-list-as-precaution

— With cornerback Darrelle Revis having returned to practice Thursday, the Jets' defense is now only one piece away from being complete.

Granted, it is a very, very big piece. Both figuratively, and literally. 

Muhammad Wilkerson, New York's 6-4, 315-pound defensive end, is still on the physically unable to perform list as he recovers from a broken leg. According to the big man, he's getting closer and closer to a return. 

"I'm feeling pretty good," Wilkerson said. "The leg is getting better each and every day. I'll be ready for Week 1."Throughout this offseason, Wilkerson has shared on social media the different milestones he's reached during his recovery. The first time he rode a bike again, walked in a boot, ran on an anti-gravity treadmill, ran on a normal treadmill and ran bootless. They've all been posted on Instagram.

The only thing left for Wilkerson to do is strap on the pads. Physically, he says, he's right where he needs to be."The only thing I can't do is the limits you have on the PUP," Wilkerson said. "I can't hit shields and things like that."

The excitement for Wilkerson right now is about simply returning to the field. He's been a bystander during the Jets seven practices so far. Watching each defensive line drill, he's starting to realize the potential the collective unit has. And once he adds himself to a group that already includes Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson and Jarvis Jenkins? It could be deadly. 

"We can be great as long as we keep pushing each other," Wilkerson said. "These first couple days of camp I'm liking what I'm seeing. I can't wait to get out there with my brothers."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_muhammad_wilkerson_provides_update_on_injured.html#incart_river_index

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Todd Bowles raised eyebrows when he said DE Mo Wilkerson is "scheduled to play" on Thursday night against Jacksonville. He said they will evaluate Wilkerson tomorrow and make a decision. Bowles said they may try to "steal a rep or two" in the game. That would be a poor choice. Wilkerson, activated today from the PUP list, still hasn't practiced on his surgically repaired leg. The smart play: Err on the side of caution. It's only the first preseason game.

• 2 weeks later...

Defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson (leg) and running back Matt Forte (hamstring) continued to practice fully Sunday, and the hope is they will be able to play in their first preseason game Saturday against the Giants.

“We have to see how practice goes and how they feel on that day,” Bowles said. “They’re just coming off injuries. They practiced last week pretty good. We don’t want to [hurt their] progress and force them into one game.”

http://nypost.com/2016/08/22/jets-may-start-season-without-this-familiar-face-on-o-line/

Archived