Over/under on when JJ Watt demands a trade

jgb

No other team would value him as highly as Houston does

He is basically Mr. Houston, the face of the franchise.

I agree he's going nowhere.  From a $ standpoint Houston is the country's 4th largest market and 3rd largest with a NFL team and the Texans are paying him.

Kind of incredible that with JJ drawing 2-3 blockers that Clowney, Jared Crick and whoever else comes on the rush can't beat out basically 2-3 guys to get to the QB.  Clowney is a mega-bust and is the # 1 reason their defense sucks so badly.  They were counting on him and likely assumed that with Watt and Clowney they'd be set with the pass-rush.  Not at all the case. 

Imagine how many sacks a legitimate pass rusher could accumulate playing across from Watt.

Kind of incredible that with JJ drawing 2-3 blockers that Clowney, Jared Crick and whoever else comes on the rush can't beat out basically 2-3 guys to get to the QB.  Clowney is a mega-bust and is the # 1 reason their defense sucks so badly.  They were counting on him and likely assumed that with Watt and Clowney they'd be set with the pass-rush.  Not at all the case. 

Imagine how many sacks a legitimate pass rusher could accumulate playing across from Watt.

Look what it did for Gastineau in the 80's.

Crazy, right? You'd think Romeo could be dialing up all sorts of sh*t but man that defense sucks.   

Crazy, right? You'd think Romeo could be dialing up all sorts of sh*t but man that defense sucks.   

I forgot Romeo was their DC.  So that team is being run by 2 former Patriot assistants.  No wonder that team is a big pile of suck.  And here we were supposed to take them seriously because of Hard Knocks.  Quite the opposite.  Only a stupid franchise would agree to being on that show anymore.  Only thing that came to fruition for that team is that DeAndre Hopkins is The Truth.

Unless he has a hard on for the ring so much that he's willing to take a deep paycut he might as well stay where he is. The worse they do the more money they can afford to pay him.

At some point a player starts thinking about his legacy no one wants to be on the "best without a ring" list. I suspect when he plays much of the contract out and he's around 30 he'll be willing to take a discount to go to a contender. money has a diminishing utility once you have 50, 70, whatever millions. having a ring sets you up for the broadcast booth nicely, if you want to go that way, it's an annuity of sorts and more importantly keeps these guys involved in the only thing they've known for a lifetime

I forgot Romeo was their DC.  So that team is being run by 2 former Patriot assistants.  No wonder that team is a big pile of suck.  And here we were supposed to take them seriously because of Hard Knocks.  Quite the opposite.  Only a stupid franchise would agree to being on that show anymore.

Jets went 12-4 the year we did Hard Knocks.

Don't forget guys, our GM was a major part of building that untalented Texans team

They've got talent everywhere except with Hoyer the Self-Destroyer and Resting Bitch Face Mallett. Tom Savage better keep himself limber.

The Ghost had more sacks his last year in college then Clowney and we know how that turned out..:(

No other team would value him as highly as Houston does

He is basically Mr. Houston, the face of the franchise.

I also think he is too much of a team guy to demand a trade. I think they will keep him one of the highest paid DE's in the NFL and the fans there are crazy about him. I take the under on any trade demands from JJ.

I also think he is too much of a team guy to demand a trade. I think they will keep him one of the highest paid DE's in the NFL and the fans there are crazy about him. I take the under on any trade demands from JJ.

If he was such a great team guy, he wouldn't have accepted QB money, thus preventing them from ever doing much better than Mallett or Hoyer at QB as long as he's there.

If he was such a great team guy, he wouldn't have accepted QB money, thus preventing them from ever doing much better than Mallett or Hoyer at QB as long as he's there.

Unless they find a Russell Wilson in the draft, they will never be a playoff team for exactly that reason.

When it comes to taking less for the good of the team Brady is one of the best.. He's making 14 million this year and it goes up just a million a year through 2017..

i think you mean you'd take the over ;)

Unless they find a Russell Wilson in the draft, they will never be a playoff team for exactly that reason.

And then if they do find a Russell Wilson, they'd have to choose between re-signing Watt or the QB, or the 3rd option:  Re-signing both and then being absolutely terrible everywhere else.  Even with the increasing cap you can't easily afford a Watt AND an elite QB.

And then if they do find a Russell Wilson, they'd have to choose between re-signing Watt or the QB, or the 3rd option:  Re-signing both and then being absolutely terrible everywhere else.  Even with the increasing cap you can't easily afford a Watt AND an elite QB.

Look how much money is going to Suh and Tannehill on the Fins..

what elite QB is/will likely be available as a free agent?

what elite QB is/will likely be available as a free agent?

I'll re-phrase:  elite QB money.  A category that includes guys like Cutler, Alex Smith and Andy Dalton.  Those types get traded for on occasion then get re-signed to big contracts if they prove themselves to be worthy starters.

I'll re-phrase:  elite QB money.  A category that includes guys like Cutler, Alex Smith and Andy Dalton.  Those types get traded for on occasion then get re-signed to big contracts if they prove themselves to be worthy starters.

okay that makes sense but I'd think watt has more trade value than any of those guys, so it would be in houstons best interest to keep him under contract 

Why does anyone expect any NFL player to take one dime less than they can possibly get? Careers are short, and can end on any given play. I'd seriously question the intelligence of any player (whose wife makes less than elite QB money) offering a discount to their team. 

Archived