Diminishing role could impact Quinton Coples' future with Jets ~ ~ ~

kelly

QC is a good football player. He has enough heart to play in the NFL. He plays where he is asked to play. The Jets want more speed and production out of QC's spot. If they can get the necessary production from others on the team, as we all see, they will do so.

Tough to say right now if he will remain a NYJ next season. He could be packaged with some other players in a trade. He could remain if Mo marches out of here.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are on drugs.  This is exactly when you DONT get rid of Coples.  Mo is a free agent in the off season and going to want $50 million guaranteed you franchise and trade him for picks and move Coples to D-Line next season.

Are you out of your phucking mine mon, Mo is a beast, Q is a big stiffy.  Q will never be a good player for any team

Are you out of your phucking mine mon, Mo is a beast, Q is a big stiffy.  Q will never be a good player for any team

Q has been good anytime he's played on the defensive line.  Mo is a great player but paying him like u want is a one way ticket to cap hell.  See 2011-2013 New York Jet football seasons after we paid Sanchez, Brick, Revis and Harris.

You guys are on drugs.  This is exactly when you DONT get rid of Coples.  Mo is a free agent in the off season and going to want $50 million guaranteed you franchise and trade him for picks and move Coples to D-Line next season.

I'd rather give Mo 50 mil in guarantees than give Coples the 19+ or so mil it will take when his deal comes up.

One is a player who is one of the best at his position, one of the best players on your team who is disruptive and the other is an enigma who never has reached his potential and rarely makes a play that makes a difference in a win or loss

So downgrade a position to save money? Sounds like an Idzik move.

Wilkerson is a much better football player, and it's not even close. Coples' days as a Jet are numbered. Mac will be looking for an upgrade in my opinion.

Wilkerson is a much better football player, and it's not even close. Coples' days as a Jet are numbered. Mac will be looking for an upgrade in my opinion.

looks like the Jets are already looking for that upgrade

Ok this is the way you have to think of it.  Even if you do not like Coples (I didn't until this year-he's been looking great on the pass rush) he is much much better tan Calvin Pace who has been absolutely sluggish and inept this year.  Pace needs to be cut plus we need someone more athletic to cover the TE and/or running backs so there is just no room for Pace.  All that being said, Mauldin and Reilly are better than both Pace and Coples and that we will become obvious to everyone later in the season.  

One of the more disappointing things IMO is Coples not being moved back to D-line full time.  Thought Bowles would move him for sure.  Agreed 100%, somebody is going to sign him and put him where he'll flourish.

Exactly. Coples is above average on the line with his hand in the dirt, terrible in coverage.

I agree. you trade coples playing out of position for the past 2 years, then you trade him for pennies on the dollar. mo gets injured last year and coples doesn't miss a beat filling in for him. 50 pounds lighter and all. wonder how mo wilks would look playing olb? throw in the fact that mo's trade value is high and so are his salary demands, I don't see why the brass wouldn't consider this route.

IMO the only way the jets keep Coples is if we trade Mo and Shelden gets suspended for the season (for next PED - let's hope not).  Otherwise, he will want too much money to play OLB and he isn't great at it except for setting the edge.  We are too crowded at DL with better 3-4 players.  My guess he is left to walk (unless by some miracle we can trade him).

He may play great on a 4-3 defense on some other team, but that isn't a hit against the current regime as he wouldn't be able to do that here much.

IMO the only way the jets keep Coples is if we trade Mo and Shelden gets suspended for the season (for next PED - let's hope not).  Otherwise, he will want too much money to play OLB and he isn't great at it except for setting the edge.  We are too crowded at DL with better 3-4 players.  My guess he is left to walk (unless by some miracle we can trade him).

He may play great on a 4-3 defense on some other team, but that isn't a hit against the current regime as he wouldn't be able to do that here much.

he will walk..

;)

Exactly. Coples is above average on the line with his hand in the dirt, terrible in coverage.

While this may have been true when he could overpower lesser opposition in college, it certainly hasn't carried over into the NFL, yet the belief persists. Coples will make the occasional behind the line play where he looks beastly, but more often than not he displays below average instincts and suddenness. His inability to read blocking cues and react appropriately is particularly alarming this point in his career; that's basic HS stuff. Whether his hand is in the dirt or he's in a two-point should have little to do with his ability to diagnose a seal block by a WR (go back to the Detroit preseason game and watch him, it's bad, really bad).

Is he being misused? Probably. Could it be that he's fed up over that and therefore is underachieving? Sure. Do I see him going on to be successful somewhere else? No, I don't; but I admittedly don't see what many do when it comes to his play. 

While this may have been true when he could overpower lesser opposition in college, it certainly hasn't carried over into the NFL, yet the belief persists. Coples will make the occasional behind the line play where he looks beastly, but more often than not he displays below average instincts and suddenness. His inability to read blocking cues and react appropriately is particularly alarming this point in his career; that's basic HS stuff. Whether his hand is in the dirt or he's in a two-point should have little to do with his ability to diagnose a seal block by a WR (go back to the Detroit preseason game and watch him, it's bad, really bad).

Is he being misused? Probably. Could it be that he's fed up over that and therefore is underachieving? Sure. Do I see him going on to be successful somewhere else? No, I don't; but I admittedly don't see what many do when it comes to his play. 

so coples doesn't have the fundamentals of a high school player? very interesting

so coples doesn't have the fundamentals of a high school player? very interesting

So you have the reading skills of a 2nd grader? I spoke of one fundamental, his inability to correctly diagnose a play based on blocking cues. Watch the tapes for yourself. 

So you have the reading skills of a 2nd grader? I spoke of one fundamental, his inability to correctly diagnose a play based on blocking cues. Watch the tapes for yourself. 

ohhhh, 1 fundamental. that explains everything. you DO know what your talking about

I hope Bowles and Maccagnan make the right choice if they decide to trade Coples.

Like John Abraham, Jonathan Vilma, and other past Jets trades, I don't want to find out Coples becomes an All Pro with another team.

Abe was All Pro and a Pro Bowler in year 2 as a Jet..

ohhhh, 1 fundamental. that explains everything. you DO know what your talking about

Obviously you're unable to formulate an educated response given your last two posts, so I'll just chalk up your sarcasm to your not understanding what I'm talking about.

I agree with this....  And I read above the 2nd grade level.?  Coples played UNC, my daughter was there same time. saw many games. I am disappointed by his NY JETS performance and attributed some college shortcomings as UNC had coaching issues, other issues.  Well I was wrong. Coples is, after what 3  years, what we see.  A disappointment.  Simple as that. If. A position change was the answer ...it would have been done.   

Saturday morning. About time for another Jets mailbag, no? On with it.

@domcosentino What are they going to do with Q with DD and DH set as 3 down LBs? Who’s taking OLB spot  ?

Here's the thing about the defense head coach Todd Bowles and coordinator Kacy Rodgers have in place: The personnel and the scheme varies from week to week. The Jets play almost exclusively nickel, because Buster Skrine gives them that luxury and because most teams throw to their tight ends and use sets with more than two receivers. However, while David Harris and Demario Davis are playing three downs as inside linebackers, the personnel on the edge and up front is constantly changing.

Coples played just 23 percent of the defensive snaps against the Dolphins two weeks ago, but Bowles explained that it was because of specific matchups the Jets wanted to exploit: "When we wanted to attack them last weekend, we wanted [end] Mo [Wilkerson] to be the outside guy. He was the heavier guy, then we wanted [nose tackle Damon Harrison] and we wanted [end] Leonard [Williams] on the inside. We had our bigger guys, but yet we had a guy drop [into coverage] on the other side, which was [outside linebacker] Calvin [Pace], who is also a dropper, backer, quasi-end, and he was the multiple guy we had for that role." That said, Coples' playing time has been trending downward, and that's something worth watching as the season progresses because his $7.8 million contract option for next year is only guaranteed for injury.

rest of above article :

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/jets_mailbag_whats_going_on_with_quinton_coples.html#incart_river

• 2 weeks later...

Quinton Coples had thought this was going to be the year. The Jets' 2012 first-round pick assumed this would be the season he'd get to do what he was drafted to do: rush the quarterback.

But that hasn't happened.

Instead, in what could be his final chance to prove himself to the Jets, Coples appears to be an afterthought on a defense that features Sheldon Richardson, Muhammad Wilkerson and now rookie Leonard Williams.

The Jets picked up Coples' option for 2016. But because it's guaranteed only for injury, the team still can cut him at the start of the league year next March without any financial ramifications, unless he gets hurt and misses the entire 2016 season. But his long-term future with the franchise appears even more unclear.When asked about his role, Coples said, "Whatever is called. I ain't tripping,'' in an interview with Newsday last week. "I don't get caught up with just rushing the QB. If me dropping in coverage is going to help me win games and be successful, I'd rather take that than me rushing the QB, getting a bunch of sacks and losing.''

That's a stark contrast to his comments in August, when he predicted the "sky's the limit'' for his sack production under Bowles.

"I think it's a new opportunity to rush the passer, something I'm passionate about,'' he said in training camp, adding that he envisioned double-digit sacks in 2015. "Ten isn't good enough. Got to keep going, the highest of the highest. Whatever number is possible. Sky is the limit.''Six games into the season, he has zero sacks and four tackles and has played only 178 of the team's 399 defensive snaps (44.6 percent). Coples played 15 of 64 snaps against the Dolphins in Week 4 and only nine of 63 against the Redskins.

Bowles said the scheme dictated Coples' low snap total against Washington, which coincided with Richardson's return from a four-game suspension."We wanted to put the bigger guys up in there and go down front and we knew they wanted to run the ball," Bowles said the day after their win over Washington.

Last week, Coples downplayed his expectations of becoming a primary pass rusher again and noted he's not asked to be in coverage "as much'' as in the previous two seasons, when Rex Ryan moved him from end to outside linebacker after his rookie year."It makes the defense a lot more complex when you've got me and Calvin [Pace] dropping,'' Coples said. "It's always a guessing game for the offense because they don't ever know what they're going to do. And that affects the quarterback when he's doing reads or he's trying to check out of stuff. He don't know, so it keeps him on his toes.''The arrivals of Williams, the sixth overall pick, and rookie outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin didn't shake Coples' confidence. Instead, he expressed excitement about adding two talented players to an already stacked defense.

"It's only going to make us better and stronger,'' he said May 12. "I don't see myself losing playing time.''

>    http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/quinton-coples-production-not-what-he-expected-this-season-1.11017601

as he should be. coples is in no way,  shape, or form an olb .i think bowles is seeing this, hence the limited playing time coples is getting. cant play him on a very crowded defensive line, especially playing at 265 pounds. mac has some serious decisions to make in the offseason. the d-line position is very crowded. don't need all of them, but as it is, they are all assets

You would think that a player seeing his playing time dwindle like Coples' has would light a fire under that player and there would be a desperation to play hard and with reckless abandon.  Coples hasn't shown any of that which leads me to believe that we're seeing everything he has, regardless of where he's lining up.

Simply put he was not a good draft pick, regardless of where he was selected, because he hasn't produced consistently enough for us.  

Archived