Todd Bowles takes Jets from really bad to really good.

Patriot Killa

http://m.huffpost.co

Former New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan took the team to two consecutive AFC Championship games in 2009 and 2010. It was a run of success the franchise had never before experienced, despite the infamous Joe Namath Super Bowl upset win of 1968 and two subsequent appearances in the conference championship in 1982 and 1998.

But four consecutive seasons of failing to make the playoffs -- including a miserable four-win season in 2014 -- led to Ryan's demise. With poor quarterback play and a consistently undisciplined team, the team's ownership and front office hired Todd Bowles, another defensive guru and a first-time head coach.

A football team's record just one month into the season isn't exactly the definitive measure of its success, but at 3-1, with a stunning Week 2 Monday night road win over quarterback Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts, Bowles appears to have the Jets in prime position to finally challenge the New England Patriots in the AFC East.

In fact, it's the best start Gang Green has had since 2010 -- which just so happens to be the last time they took a trip to the conference title game.

Perhaps part of Bowles' charm is his straight arrow, no-nonsense approach. In other words, he's the antithesis of Ryan. 

"We understand that we've only played one quarter of the season, and all we did was get off to a good start," Bowles said on Monday. "We haven't accomplished anything."

Oh, but they have.

After a strange start to training camp -- where a teammate broke starting quarterback Geno Smith's jaw -- the Jets were once again the talk of the league, and for all the wrong reasons. But Bowles calmed things down and entrusted veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick under center.

Fitzpatrick's familiarity with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey from their Buffalo days has paid dividends. To be sure, this is not a quick-strike, explosive offense, nor is Fitzpatrick headed toward the Pro Bowl. What the Jets offense has become, however, is a steady blend of long, sustainable drives and a dominant running attack. Despite missing one game, running back Chris Ivory ranks third in the NFL in rushing, with a healthy 5-yard average behind a productive offensive line.

All of that melds perfectly with a fantastic defense that continually forces three-and-outs and turnovers. The return of cornerbacks Antonio Cromartie and Darrelle Revis in the secondary has also allowed Bowles to do what perhaps nobody in this league does better: create highly confusing and productive blitz and coverage packages that even the most dominant quarterbacks tend to struggle with.

In the win over Indy, Luck endured one of the worst games of his career, totaling a measly 21 of 37 through the air to go along with three interceptions and a lost fumble. Through four games, the Jets boast the second-best total defense in pro football -- and maybe just as impressively, they have already matched last season's forced turnovers total with 13. It's one key reason why they've also outscored opponents by 40 points, the sixth-best clip in the league.

"I think we're growing together," Bowles added after the win in London over Miami. "I think everybody is starting to realize that we can become a good team, but we’ve got to cut out a lot of mistakes ahead and we have a long haul to go. It’s not going to happen overnight. But the guys are getting a lot more confident."

Confidence never seemed to be lacking during Ryan's regime, but that didn't yield results in his last four seasons with the Jets. For a 51-year-old rookie head coach, Bowles is tamer and less bombastic than Ryan was on his quietest days, and maybe that's precisely what this team needed.

There's more good news ahead, too. An early bye week allows Bowles to make crucial adjustments, and Pro Bowl defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson's return from suspension will bolster an already dominant front seven. 

Former Super Bowl MVP Doug Williams teamed with Bowles on Washington's 1987 Super Bowl-winning team. He, too, believes that Bowles is an ideal fit for the Jets, given his football acumen and even-keeled approach to the game.

"Todd never gets ruffled by anything," Williams told ESPN.com. "When he gets mad, he doesn't get carried away. The same guy you see today is the guy you're going to see tomorrow, and he's not going to worry about being a personality. Nobody's going to carry himself better than Todd, and he's never given anybody any ammunition to tell you a story about him."

Such an attitude hardly guarantees results in this league. But then again, it's a welcome sight for an organization that was in constant peril and turmoil for way too long. 

I said from the beginning that I loved Bowles' attitude and demeanor, but if he didn't produce it wouldn't matter.  Well after a quarter of the season he's giving everyone reason to buy in. Same thing goes for Mac. It's still early and you still want to see these things go for a year or so before you can really judge, but it's looking  very promising.  He handled the Geno and Sheldon fiascos brilliantly and has made halftime adjustments just as well. Next big tests will be how he comes out after a bye and how he faces new england, especially on the road. Cannot wait. 

Guys Bowles has been a breath of fresh air, and I say that as a big Rex supporter while he was here.

An not to beat a dead horse, yet I will withhold judgement until after we play the Pats and Belicheat.

I say that because that is the game that I believe will expose many of Fitz's glaring weaknesses. I also fear it will create a solid plan for others to use against the offense as its constructed today.

Yet, if Bowles and Chad can overcome that, even if we lose, we may really have a

HC for the long term, finally !!!!

For the love of god stop. They haven't done sh*t yet. 

^^^sorry, but f*uck this.  Im excited.  I haven't seen us look like a professional football team in awhile...even when we were going to the AFC East Championship game.

If you dont want to get excited about watching Brandon Marshall, Decker, and Devin Smith continue to develop with Ivory in the backfield...and a stable offensive line, and a defense that has the best front 4 we've had since the sack exchange, and easily the best secondary we've had top to bottom...maybe ever...well, there's other team's in this league you can follow.

I have no idea why any Jets fan wouldn't be excited to watch this team weekly...win or lose, we have players worth watching and a style of play that looks organized and structured, despite all of our penalties.  Hell, even our nickel CB is fun to watch.  Give me a break.  if you want to pretend this team isn't fun to watch and worth getting excited about, maybe you should remove the yard stick from your .@ss while watching the games...might help loosen you up!  Meanwhile, if we beat the Redskins coming off the bye week, we'll match last season's win total in the first 5 weeks...not sure why you wouldn't be excited about an obvious turnaround in culture and direction...maybe you prefer the yard stick where it is...

Have to agree, except for the first half of the Eagles game, we look like a very competitive football team. The days of looking past this team are over for our opponents, that includes the bunch up in Foxbough as well.

^^^sorry, but f*uck this.  Im excited.  I haven't seen us look like a professional football team in awhile...even when we were going to the AFC East Championship game.
If you dont want to get excited about watching Brandon Marshall, Decker, and Devin Smith continue to develop with Ivory in the backfield...and a stable offensive line, and a defense that has the best front 4 we've had since the sack exchange, and easily the best secondary we've had top to bottom...maybe ever...well, there's other team's in this league you can follow.

I have no idea why any Jets fan wouldn't be excited to watch this team weekly...win or lose, we have players worth watching and a style of play that looks organized and structured, despite all of our penalties.  Hell, even our nickel CB is fun to watch.  Give me a break.  if you want to pretend this team isn't fun to watch and worth getting excited about, maybe you should remove the yard stick from your .@ss while watching the games...might help loosen you up!  Meanwhile, if we beat the Redskins coming off the bye week, we'll match last season's win total in the first 5 weeks...not sure why you wouldn't be excited about an obvious turnaround in culture and direction...maybe you prefer the yard stick where it is...

Like every other time we've gotten a new HC, GM, QB, rookie etc? This team is Groundhog Day.  

Great formula at work here; long sustained drives. Keeps other teams offense off of the field.

Strong running game. Smash mouth football. Stout OL at the point of attack. Brandon Marshall

Great defense. The secondary is incredible. Those three straight blitzes against Miami last week were brilliant. Marcus Williams' play off of the bench. Gilchrist. Revis. Pryor. Skrine  Deepest DL. Sheldon has yet to hit the field. Hitman Harris playing at an All Pro level. Creating many turnovers.

Forcing teams to throw into a fierce, relentless pass rush. Recipe for a lot of wins. Bowles' BBQ sauce could be better than Herman Edwards'.

Like every other time we've gotten a new HC, GM, QB, rookie etc? This team is Groundhog Day.  

There's other teams in the NFL...Steelers, Packers, Ravens, and Pats have room on the bandwagon and their jerseys are in every store; hell, there ain't a Walmart in the country without Steelers gear and the Walmart beside Metlife probably doesn't have jets gear.  Easy switch, my friend.

There's other teams in the NFL...Steelers, Packers, Ravens, and Pats have room on the bandwagon and their jerseys are in every store; hell, there ain't a Walmart in the country without Steelers gear and the Walmart beside Metlife probably doesn't have jets gear.  Easy switch, my friend.

I'm not looking to switch teams. I'm also not a mindless fan that thinks we're doing awesome or awful after a few games. And considering it hasn't worked out yet in my lifetime it's probably a safe bet this work either. I'm just  patiently waiting for the outcome. 

Good point in 2009 Rex first game with the Pats was a 16-9 win..

Gronk is way better today then he was in 2009! He was a pup then he's a grown man now. Edelman is Bradys new Welker & the Pats still have the best kicker in the league in Gostkowski. Judging by Bradys play in last years Super Bowl you'd have to say he's also playing his best football to right now. They are a tough out because you have to play a clean game to have a chance.

No bad penalties & you have to win the TO game. What excites me most about this Jet team has been our Redzone offense. That's the Pats MO, bend don't break, hold teams to FGs, score yourself in Redzone.

I'm not looking to switch teams. I'm also not a mindless fan that thinks we're doing awesome or awful after a few games. And considering it hasn't worked out yet in my lifetime it's probably a safe bet this work either. I'm just  patiently waiting for the outcome. 

There's a difference between "optimistic" and "mindless," my friend.  Fat, drunk, stupid, and/or pessimistic is no way to go through life...right?!?!?!

Gronk is way better today then he was in 2009! He was a pup then he's a grown man now. Edelman is Bradys new Welker & the Pats still have the best kicker in the league in Gostkowski. Judging by Bradys play in last years Super Bowl you'd have to say he's also playing his best football to right now. They are a tough out because you have to play a clean game to have a chance.

No bad penalties & you have to win the TO game. What excites me most about this Jet team has been our Redzone offense. That's the Pats MO, bend don't break, hold teams to FGs, score yourself in Redzone.

You do realize the Pats just barely beat the terrible Jets last year and Gronks stat total for both games combined was 11 catches 99 yds and 1 td.. Our DB's now are so much better it's not even on the same planet..:rolleyes:

and easier schedule 

Proving how meaningless strength of schedule is.

Calling our first 4 games easier now is funny.  Who would have said 4 games that included the fins, Eagles and Colts would be easy

That said, we didn't have a tough schedule last year, or the year before.

Proving how meaningless strength of schedule is.

Calling our first 4 games easier now is funny.  Who would have said 4 games that included the fins, Eagles and Colts would be easy

That said, we didn't have a tough schedule last year, or the year before.

I dont care if the schedule is tough or not as long as we win.  I just love how if we beat the Redskins, we'll be 4-1 and people will be complaining...

I hope we crush the Redskins (who are at Atlanta minus 2 starting CBs tomorrow) then have to come play a rested Jets team...We need to show we learned a lesson from the Eagles game.  Then we face the Pats with Skrine playing Edelman and I look forward to seeing what we do vs Gronk.  I imagine Gilchrist will get a fair shot...but will Cro get some time with Williams checking in to play outside?  I am sure Bowles and staff have some plans for the next two weeks...which will include getting Richardson in the mix.

Why are fans bitching (not you, the person you're replying to)...this is going to be fun to watch!

I dont care if the schedule is tough or not as long as we win.  I just love how if we beat the Redskins, we'll be 4-1 and people will be complaining...
I hope we crush the Redskins (who are at Atlanta minus 2 starting CBs tomorrow) then have to come play a rested Jets team...We need to show we learned a lesson from the Eagles game.  Then we face the Pats with Skrine playing Edelman and I look forward to seeing what we do vs Gronk.  I imagine Gilchrist will get a fair shot...but will Cro get some time with Williams checking in to play outside?  I am sure Bowles and staff have some plans for the next two weeks...which will include getting Richardson in the mix.

Why are fans bitching (not you, the person you're replying to)...this is going to be fun to watch!

What they learned from the Eagles game is special teams need work,the offense isn't the same without Ivory and Decker and don't lateral when you already have the 1st down..

I think we need to qualify this by pointing out that Rex had to play against the best team in the league every single week without one NFL-caliber player on any of his rosters over the course of six years, while Bowles is fielding an All-Pro laden ball club against what is effectively Division III competition. 

That's boring.  So you're going to wait until we finally win a Super Bowl to get excited?  This is a game played for entertainment, and it's not like we have any choice but to trust that the Macc and Bowles combo is as good as we hope they are.  

What they learned from the Eagles game is special teams need work,the offense isn't the same without Ivory and Decker and don't lateral when you already have the 1st down..

Just a bad day at the office vs the Eagles. 6 plays determined the outcome.

1- Sproles punt return 2- Non-call on Marshall being mugged in the endzone 3- Marshall lateral 4- Marshall alligator arms drop 

5&6 2 PI calls giving 58 free yards. Jets probably win by 10 just wasn't to be (one of the worst home game refereeing I can ever remember). Let's call it Chip Kelly & the Eagles must remain relevant game. That crazy NFL business Goodell runs.

You do realize the Pats just barely beat the terrible Jets last year and Gronks stat total for both games combined was 11 catches 99 yds and 1 td.. Our DB's now are so much better it's not even on the same planet..:rolleyes:

I'm not insinuating the Pats aren't beatable, I'm just stating a fact that Gronk is peaking as a player this year. Thank god we have Sheldon back because stopping Gronk & Edelman makes Dion Lewis very dangerous. I'm thinking Bowles wants to use Bailey in place of a CB in Nickle. Bailey should be able to roll with Lewis on those wheel routes Pats like to run. I can't wait to see what Bowles comes up with because NO ONE the Pats have played has the depth in the secondary that the Jets will trot put in Gillette. Plus we can get a pass rush up the middle with 4 down lineman. This will be our best offense in years too, I'm hoping Owusu is back. Would love to see some quick strike TDs!

Archived