TRADE dept. : Could Jets entertain idea of trading Geno Smith before deadline ? ? ?

kelly

The New York Jets are off this weekend, enjoying their bye, but the mailbag never rests.

@RichCimini Are the Jets comfortable enough with Petty to trade Geno? What would the return look like? #jetsmail

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith has been humiliated by the NFL game. I hope he learns that he is not bigger than the league. It can go to one's head as the starting QB of a NY NFL team. Teams would probably put up an 8th round pick for Smith right now.

His best bet is the NYJ

Trade Sheldon to tampa bay for glennon and a #1 pick and never look back

Until Sheldon goes onto the HOF and Glennon proves he's just a backup like TB thought.

Hey, we're winning, lets trade maybe our best player for a backup and a pick.  

You keep Geno because he's a backup who might be needed either to injury or bad play down the road, its a long season.

Interesting what happens during down time with Cimini.  He creates a article out of nothing, based on nothing.  

Are their any teams who contacted the Jets looking to trade for Geno?  No

Would the Jets trade Geno to anyone who was interested?  No.  No one would make an offer that would make the deal worth it to the Jets 

Obviously the Jets aren't shopping their backup.

So the entire article is meaningless.

But it was written and published.

Maybe for his Sunday post he can write an article on whether the Jets would be interested in Rodgers if he were available, would they trade for him and would GB listen?

Idk. This sounds crazy for me to say but, this is the most depth the Jets have had at the QB position in a long time. I wouldn't mess with it. 

whats crazy about it?  Geno was playing better QB than Fitz when he was punched out, why is having him as a backup anything bad if its still the case?

You keep Geno because he's a backup who might be needed either to injury or bad play down the road, its a long season.

Interesting what happens during down time with Cimini.  He creates a article out of nothing, based on nothing.  

Are their any teams who contacted the Jets looking to trade for Geno?  No

Would the Jets trade Geno to anyone who was interested?  No.  No one would make an offer that would make the deal worth it to the Jets 

Obviously the Jets aren't shopping their backup.

So the entire article is meaningless.

But it was written and published.

Maybe for his Sunday post he can write an article on whether the Jets would be interested in Rodgers if he were available, would they trade for him and would GB listen?

this

whats crazy about it?  Geno was playing better QB than Fitz when he was punched out, why is having him as a backup anything bad if its still the case?

Well there is some spin in there but the point we can all agree on is that Petty is not ready and that injuries to QBs do happen in the NFL.  Geno's highest value to the Jets is providing a buffer between Fitzpatrick injury or terrible play and needing to dress Bryce Petty.

Trade him to the Texans for their TE Fieoderwicz??? We need a TE and we get to cut loose another of Idziots imprints.  I'll take my chances with Fitz and Petty.  GeeGee at backup QB is no consolation whatsoever, in fact he's a liability and an albatross to the team's chemistry.      

Yeah, I don't see any reason or way to trade Geno this season. I will say though, if Fitz makes it through the season and has success, Geno is probably a goner and we can look to possibly draft our QB of the future and work on development of Petty. With riches we have on the Dline, I think a trade, including a sign and trade, may be an option to move up to draft that qb. Based on how he has handled matters thus far, I think Mac can figure it out if it is possible while not hurting the team.

We need to maintain a buffer between Fitzpatrick and Petty.  Every player can be traded so it can't be ruled out that some dumb franchise out there with an injured QB comes calling to offer a conditional 3rd/4th rounder for Geno, but that seems very unlikely.  Only then would you consider trading him.  His place on the roster counts for more than some late round pick.

Well there is some spin in there but the point we can all agree on is that Petty is not ready and that injuries to QBs do happen in the NFL.  Geno's highest value to the Jets is providing a buffer between Fitzpatrick injury or terrible play and needing to dress Bryce Petty.

There's no spin.  Everyone who reports on the team had Geno outplaying Fitz, by a wide margin.  The OC named Geno the starter.  The HC praised Geno on his play.  He was at least playing really well, that much we could take away from camp.  His biggest value to the Jets is in case of injury or poor play he can come in and continue to win games if needed.  Petty isnt part of the picture yet, he's a work in progress who isnt ready

This article / headline is amusing.  "Would the Jets trade Geno?" - "Well, no one wants him, and even if they did, the Jets wouldn't trade him."  So then why did you write this useless article Dick?

I'm upset that you beat me to it man. That's exactly what I was thinking.  lol

It's said a lot, but this one may be the most useless and ridiculously unimportant article ever written ever. 

There's no spin.  Everyone who reports on the team had Geno outplaying Fitz, by a wide margin.  The OC named Geno the starter.  The HC praised Geno on his play.  He was at least playing really well, that much we could take away from camp.  His biggest value to the Jets is in case of injury or poor play he can come in and continue to win games if needed.  Petty isnt part of the picture yet, he's a work in progress who isnt ready

No need to rehash the whole "outplaying" discussion. No preseason games had even taken place before his jaw was broken.  Geno was named the starter way before camp and therefore way before any comparison could possibly have taken place between the two of them.  No need to imply once again that Geno was named the starter because he was outplaying Fitzpatrick as you have now done many many times.  The timeline of events says that narrative is impossible.  Geno was simply the incumbent from last season who had not done anything bad enough (yet) to lose the job to the backup but preseason had also not even started.  So there was plenty of time for him to lose the job.

Some of us think that once actual preseason games started that Geno would have continued to be that same old Geno from years 1 and 2.  You know once there was actually another team out there and the once the QB was no longer wearing a red shirt.

My own recollection from practice reports was that both of them played well some days and both had their off days as well.  That was the gist of the reports that I recall.

So yes, plenty of spin.

There are going to be a lot of Jets fans who would have no problem dumping Geno, who are going to be damn happy he is still a Jet before the end of this season.

Didn't realize how important the waterboy was in the NFL. Haven't really seen to much tape of Geno getting water for the starters, but if he's as good as you say he is, he's a welcome addition to this team.

No need to rehash the whole "outplaying" discussion. No preseason games had even taken place before his jaw was broken.  Geno was named the starter way before camp and therefore way before any comparison could possibly have taken place between the two of them.  No need to imply once again that Geno was named the starter because he was outplaying Fitzpatrick as you have now done many many times.  The timeline of events says that narrative is impossible.  Geno was simply the incumbent from last season who had not done anything bad enough (yet) to lose the job to the backup but preseason had also not even started.  So there was plenty of time for him to lose the job.

Some of us think that once actual preseason games started that Geno would have continued to be that same old Geno from years 1 and 2.  You know once there was actually another team out there and the once the QB was no longer wearing a red shirt.

My own recollection from practice reports was that both of them played well some days and both had their off days as well.  That was the gist of the reports that I recall.

So yes, plenty of spin.

WTF is it with you people that you have a hard time dealing with facts?  I could tell you the sky is blue and Id get a stupid answer that next week it could be purple.

Another 500 word essay to explain how the guy who at the time of his injury wasnt leading Fitz even though everyone, everywhere said he was.  All because in your crystal ball Fitz might have reversed it.  OK.  Some of you were praying that Geno would go back to what he was.  Just as you imagined that there were days that Geno played badly.  That in your world is enough to argue like a broken record.  

You're stuck between spinning fact and stroking yourself.  This is almost as tiring as listening to you argue how overrated CMartin was

There are going to be a lot of Jets fans who would have no problem dumping Geno, who are going to be damn happy he is still a Jet before the end of this season.

Very few on this thread are in favor of a trade.

Didn't realize how important the waterboy was in the NFL. Haven't really seen to much tape of Geno getting water for the starters, but if he's as good as you say he is, he's a welcome addition to this team.

Time will be my judge, my friend.

WTF is it with you people that you have a hard time dealing with facts?  I could tell you the sky is blue and Id get a stupid answer that next week it could be purple.

Another 500 word essay to explain how the guy who at the time of his injury wasnt leading Fitz even though everyone, everywhere said he was.  All because in your crystal ball Fitz might have reversed it.  OK.  Some of you were praying that Geno would go back to what he was.  Just as you imagined that there were days that Geno played badly.  That in your world is enough to argue like a broken record.  

You're stuck between spinning fact and stroking yourself.  This is almost as tiring as listening to you argue how overrated CMartin was

Geno was playing with the first team and Fitz with the backups. They had not played a game of any kind. Geno was the starter but not because he had outplayed anyone.  The way you tell it... "Geno was outplaying AND Geno was named the starter" as if one were because of the other.   That does not happen on May 20th no matter how much you would like it to be the case.

There was no outplaying because they were throwing to different guys often facing different defenders.  Live in your bizarre world if you like.  Geno is crap when the games start.  The games had not yet started.

Archived