TRADE dept. : Could Jets entertain idea of trading Geno Smith before deadline ? ? ?

kelly

Here is what I do if I was GM:

1. Ask around if any potential short-term QB (The Glennons of the NFL) could be had for a 4th round pick + Coples or lower.  If so, trade for the one we as an Org like best.  If not, no deal.

2A. If Fitz is out, and a Glennon-alike trade for, start Geno 1 week, then start Glennon-alike till Fitz is back.

2B. If Fitz is out, and no trade made, sign a street FA (i.e. a Flynn).

3. Start Geno (because why not), backup is Flynn, Petty remains #3 till Fitz returns.

2B and 3 seem like the most likely scenario if Fitz is out for an extended period of time.  I think they are committed to keeping Petty out of action so at minimum we need a backup for Geno.  If they can land a Meckenberger or a Glennon that much better.  And interesting down the road

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that would be the dumbest thing the team could do. 

Number one at this stage in the year its obvious I was joking. Number 2 at the end of the year Geno may very well be gone, that I'm not joking about.... and ya know what ? no one would pick his dumb ass up.

Number one at this stage in the year its obvious I was joking. Number 2 at the end of the year Geno may very well be gone, that I'm not joking about.... and ya know what ? no one would pick his dumb ass up.

I knew you were joking.  Because hes not going anywhere, even by the end of the season.  Sunday should have proved that to the people who thought he would

Number 2, thats what most said about Sanchez.  

So this is interesting.

The New York Jets are in such bad shape at quarterback they claim to have no idea who will start Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Truth be told, this isn't just a this-week problem; their quarterback issue stretches beyond 2015.While the Jets are looking for an answer, the San Francisco 49ers have reportedly benched their one-time franchise quarterback, Colin Kaepernick. The timing is most curious, considering the NFL trade deadline is 4 p.m. ET Tuesday.

Could the Jets make a trade for Kaepernick? Logistically, it's not out of the question.That massive six-year, $114 million contract he signed last year is team-friendly because there is no fully guaranteed money beyond what's owed to him for the remainder of this season, $5.5 million. He has six years, $77.2 million left on the deal, through 2020, but it's deceiving.Right now, Kaepernick's 2016 salary ($11.9 million) is guaranteed for injury only -- which, of course, would present a risk for the Jets if he were to suffer a severe injury this year. It could put them on the hook for that $11.9 million. The salary becomes fully guaranteed next April 1.

The bigger question: Is Kaepernick salvageable? He's having a poor season, continuing a two-year decline. There have been reports that he has alienated teammates. On the other hand, we're talking about a quarterback who started in the Super Bowl after the 2012 season ... a player with a 4-2 playoff record ... a guy who is only 26 years old. In fact, he turns 26 today.The way Kaepernick's deal is structured, the Jets could bring him on for the remainder of the season without having to make a long-term commitment. In essence, he'd be a hired gun, charged with getting a win-now team to the playoffs. If it doesn't work out, they can cut or trade him before April 1.

On Monday, Todd Bowles was cagey when discussing Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and his options. No doubt, there was an element of gamesmanship in his comments, especially if they're exploring trades -- and he acknowledged they are. Bowles didn't want to tip his hand or hurt the team's leverage in trade talks, so he basically revealed nothing.At one point, he didn't rule out the possibility of this week's starter not being on the current roster. Hmm. He'd have to be a pretty accomplished player to walk in and be handed the starting job.

The 49ers probably could get more for Kaepernick by waiting to the offseason, when teams are in a re-booting mode. Right now, it would depend on a team such as the Jets succumbing to desperation, making an offer they can't refuse.Hey, the Jets might be desperate. I find it hard to believe Fitzpatrick (torn ligament in non-throwing thumb) will be ready anytime soon. Do they really want to entrust their season to a banged-up Smith?

Obviously, there are many variables to a potential trade. Would the Jets surrender a high draft pick? Would they include someone such as linebacker Quinton Coples? We know general manager Mike Maccagnan isn't afraid of high-profile moves. Dealing for Kaepernick would be a game-changer, a season-changer and, potentially, a franchise-changer.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55693/could-qb-needy-jets-pull-off-a-trade-for-49ers-colin-kaepernick

So this is interesting.

The New York Jets are in such bad shape at quarterback they claim to have no idea who will start Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Truth be told, this isn't just a this-week problem; their quarterback issue stretches beyond 2015.While the Jets are looking for an answer, the San Francisco 49ers have reportedly benched their one-time franchise quarterback, Colin Kaepernick. The timing is most curious, considering the NFL trade deadline is 4 p.m. ET Tuesday.

Could the Jets make a trade for Kaepernick? Logistically, it's not out of the question.That massive six-year, $114 million contract he signed last year is team-friendly because there is no fully guaranteed money beyond what's owed to him for the remainder of this season, $5.5 million. He has six years, $77.2 million left on the deal, through 2020, but it's deceiving.Right now, Kaepernick's 2016 salary ($11.9 million) is guaranteed for injury only -- which, of course, would present a risk for the Jets if he were to suffer a severe injury this year. It could put them on the hook for that $11.9 million. The salary becomes fully guaranteed next April 1.

The bigger question: Is Kaepernick salvageable? He's having a poor season, continuing a two-year decline. There have been reports that he has alienated teammates. On the other hand, we're talking about a quarterback who started in the Super Bowl after the 2012 season ... a player with a 4-2 playoff record ... a guy who is only 26 years old. In fact, he turns 26 today.The way Kaepernick's deal is structured, the Jets could bring him on for the remainder of the season without having to make a long-term commitment. In essence, he'd be a hired gun, charged with getting a win-now team to the playoffs. If it doesn't work out, they can cut or trade him before April 1.

On Monday, Todd Bowles was cagey when discussing Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty and his options. No doubt, there was an element of gamesmanship in his comments, especially if they're exploring trades -- and he acknowledged they are. Bowles didn't want to tip his hand or hurt the team's leverage in trade talks, so he basically revealed nothing.At one point, he didn't rule out the possibility of this week's starter not being on the current roster. Hmm. He'd have to be a pretty accomplished player to walk in and be handed the starting job.

The 49ers probably could get more for Kaepernick by waiting to the offseason, when teams are in a re-booting mode. Right now, it would depend on a team such as the Jets succumbing to desperation, making an offer they can't refuse.Hey, the Jets might be desperate. I find it hard to believe Fitzpatrick (torn ligament in non-throwing thumb) will be ready anytime soon. Do they really want to entrust their season to a banged-up Smith?

Obviously, there are many variables to a potential trade. Would the Jets surrender a high draft pick? Would they include someone such as linebacker Quinton Coples? We know general manager Mike Maccagnan isn't afraid of high-profile moves. Dealing for Kaepernick would be a game-changer, a season-changer and, potentially, a franchise-changer.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55693/could-qb-needy-jets-pull-off-a-trade-for-49ers-colin-kaepernick

This nails it.  

New York Jets quarterbacks Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith are day-to-day with thumb and shoulder injuries, respectively, meaning the team may be forced to start rookie Bryce Petty against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday.An MRI on Monday confirmed a torn ligament in Fitzpatrick's non-throwing thumb. He will require surgery at some point, said coach Todd Bowles, who nevertheless didn't rule him out as the starter this week.

Bowles said Fitzpatrick's availability will be based, in large part, on pain tolerance.

Smith, too, underwent tests on his non-throwing shoulder, and they revealed a "big bruise," said Bowles, adding there was no structural damage.Asked his confidence level in Smith or Fitzpatrick being able to play Sunday, Bowles said: "Right now, not very high. It's Monday, the day after. The guys are pretty sore. I'll have a better feel on Wednesday."

Petty, a fourth-round pick from Baylor, will get practice reps Wednesday. He has yet to appear in a game.The Jets are strongly considering adding a veteran quarterback as Tuesday's trade deadline approaches. Free agent Matt Flynn, who spent three weeks on the roster in training camp, also is a possibility, Bowles said.Fitzpatrick and Smith were both injured Sunday in the Jets' 34-20 loss to the Oakland Raiders. Bowles was unhappy because he felt both quarterbacks could have avoided contact by sliding or, in Smith's case, running out of bounds instead of inviting a hit.

The Jets (4-3) have reached a crossroads in their season. They've dropped two straight and their quarterback situation is a multiple-choice question. It's so wide open that Bowles didn't rule out the possibility of the yet-to-be-acquired quarterback starting this week, although that seems remote.Fitzpatrick, who emerged as a team leader soon after ascending to the starting job in August when Smith's jaw was broken in a locker-room altercation, appears unlikely to play this week.On Sunday, Fitzpatrick said he couldn't grip the ball with his left hand. Bowles sounded skeptical of Fitzpatrick's ability to take snaps from center and use his left hand on handoffs."I don't think it gets any worse [by playing], but I don't know how much better it's going to get, either," Bowles said. "It's just a matter of how much pain he's going to be in."

Smith's chances are helped because it's his non-throwing shoulder, but "you're still a little bit wary" because he could make it worse with another hit, Bowles said.Smith, who replaced Fitzpatrick on the first series of the games, said afterward he was "pretty confident" he'd be able to play against the Jaguars. Bowles said there's "a chance," but only if Smith progresses during the week.Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey will be forced to devise different game plans this week, based on the different quarterback options. He'd have to scale back the offense if someone other than Smith or Fitzpatrick starts.

There's also some question as to whether wide receiver Brandon Marshall (ankle, toe) and center Nick Mangold (neck), two of their best players, will be able to play this week.

>      http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14039011/newyork-jets-ponder-qb-situation-ryan-fitzpatrick-geno-smith-injuries

Where do I sign up!

I don't understand where people get off thinking another team wants Coples. What's the value to another team? A lineman turned bad OLB that can be converted back to DL or underperforms at OLB? The only team that wants that trade is a team desperate for a mediocre at best OLB because they are not going to spend time teaching a guy the playbook and converting him to another position midseason. That is wishful thinking.

Even if there was a team interested in Coples we would still have to deal with the OLB position. If we had a better option then we'd just play the better option.

I don't understand where people get off thinking another team wants Coples. What's the value to another team? A lineman turned bad OLB that can be converted back to DL or underperforms at OLB? The only team that wants that trade is a team desperate for a mediocre at best OLB because they are not going to spend time teaching a guy the playbook and converting him to another position midseason. That is wishful thinking.

Even if there was a team interested in Coples we would still have to deal with the OLB position. If we had a better option then we'd just play the better option.

I don't understand where people get off thinking another team wants Kapernick, a qb whose own teammates want benched.

Archived