My problem with College Football: Nick Chubb Injury

Villain The Foe

I seen this play and immediately felt like there is a problem with college ball in terms of these players not being paid. And its not simply that they're not being paid, its the fact that EVERYONE EXCEPT the guys that are putting themselves on the line are getting paid. The coaches are getting paid, the refs are getting paid, the school is getting paid, the broadcasting companies are being paid, yet the guys who actually play the sport dont. Its sad when you think of the above and then see injuries like this. Nick Chubb's career is most likely done, meanwhile college coaches like Jim Harbaugh is earning something like 5 million dollars a year to coach Michigan. Either these players should be paid or everyone associated with these football programs should no longer receive a check. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seen this play and immediately felt like there is a problem with college ball in terms of these players not being paid. And its not simply that they're not being paid, its the fact that EVERYONE EXCEPT the guys that are putting themselves on the line are getting paid. The coaches are getting paid, the refs are getting paid, the school is getting paid, the broadcasting companies are being paid, yet the guys who actually play the sport dont. Its sad when you think of the above and then see injuries like this. Nick Chubb's career is most likely done, meanwhile college coaches like Jim Harbaugh is earning something like 5 million dollars a year to coach Michigan. Either these players should be paid or everyone associated with these football programs should no longer receive a check. 

Ok pay them but then they pay for their college tuition..

Not so fast then you have to pay every other team the college has also..

Thats not a problem. If that college sports program creates revenue then pay the players. It could be college football or college womans volleyball. At the end of the day coaches, refs, schools, broadcasting networks are all cashing checks off of all of these different sports programs right? 

Thats not a problem. If that college sports program creates revenue then pay the players. It could be college football or college womans volleyball. At the end of the day coaches, refs, schools, broadcasting networks are all cashing checks off of all of these different sports programs right? 

And tuition is now a million a year and Crusher is pissed..LOL

And tuition is now a million a year and Crusher is pissed..LOL

Which is furthermore hilarious. How is tuition so expensive when these colleges are keeping revenue off of these students (most that are not on scholarship)? Im not hating on the colleges in terms of business, because its in fact "business" that they're handling. I just find it wrong that when its the students who are part of the conversation for payment then all of a sudden its about education, scholarships etc. but not "business"

Its cool that some of these kids go to school for free, but they end up getting degrees and hit the work force making 50 grand a year, meanwhile they've contributed to making millions for the school. It makes no sense. Students should say, "f the scholarship and cut us a check on the revenue with the percentage being similar to the NFL. And of that money, every student gets an equal share no matter what given that they are students". Now, these players could pay for their tuition as well as make 100's of thousands a year setting up a situation where the 95% of players who dont make it to the league can graduate having made some nice cash and could really set themselves on a path to where they can make more beneficial decisions given that they have money that could supply them more choices in life. 

It's crazy. The Texas Longhorns made 75 million dollars last year off of their college football program....JUST football. lol. You can pay these kids. 

Which is furthermore hilarious. How is tuition so expensive when these colleges are keeping revenue off of these students (most that are not on scholarship)? Im not hating on the colleges in terms of business, because its in fact "business" that they're handling. I just find it wrong that when its the students who are part of the conversation for payment then all of a sudden its about education, scholarships etc. but not "business"

Its cool that some of these kids go to school for free, but they end up getting degrees and hit the work force making 50 grand a year, meanwhile they've contributed to making millions for the school. It makes no sense. Students should say, "f the scholarship and cut us a check on the revenue with the percentage being similar to the NFL. And of that money, every student gets an equal share no matter what given that they are students". Now, these players could pay for their tuition as well as make 100's of thousands a year setting up a situation where the 95% of players who dont make it to the league can graduate having made some nice cash and could really set themselves on a path to where they can make more beneficial decisions given that they have money that could supply them more choices in life. 

It's crazy. The Texas Longhorns made 75 million dollars last year off of their college football program....JUST football. lol. You can pay these kids. 

When you get paid your a professional so you might as well take kids from HS or should they get paid also?? College players also learn allot there which helps them in the Pro's.. 

Sometimes "free" isnt good. And lets not pretend like everyone of these players are on scholarship. There's a portion of these students on scholarship. The rest pay. 

If a kid makes the team then his tuition should be paid.. Without college exposure as a testing ground how do players land their big 1st rd contracts??

When you get paid your a professional so you might as well take kids from HS or should they get paid also?? College players also learn allot there which helps them in the Pro's.. 

Honestly, whats the problem with that? 

I visited my sister and niece last year in Texas and High School football looks pretty damn professional already. You can go into stores and buy high school jerseys etc. Maybe im wrong, I dont think so...but maybe. I just dont see what the problem is when the school and coaches are getting paid off of the kids. Yet the moment we say that the kids should be paid suddenly things are lost in translation lol. 

Not saying you Savage, just speaking my mind here. If I did something and I knew that my work was generating millions yet all I got was a scholarship, I would instead request payment for my services and pay for school from my hard work. 

If a kid makes the team then his tuition should be paid.. Without college exposure as a testing ground how do players land their big 1st rd contracts??

If a kid makes the team then he should be paid....because money is ultimately being exchanged based on that kids work. Without the kids playing there would be no program. College football needs college players. No players, no football. 

Honestly, whats the problem with that? 

I visited my sister and niece last year in Texas and High School football looks pretty damn professional already. You can go into stores and buy high school jerseys etc. Maybe im wrong, I dont think so...but maybe. I just dont see what the problem is when the school and coaches are getting paid off of the kids. Yet the moment we say that the kids should be paid suddenly things are lost in translation lol. 

Not saying you Savage, just speaking my mind here. If I did something and I knew that my work was generating millions yet all I got was a scholarship, I would instead request payment for my services and pay for school from my hard work. 

What if a military man uncovered a plot that saved millions of lives what is that worth?? He'd get a medal..LOL  I look at college ball as a place to showcase your talent for a possible NFL career..

Meh. These guys are getting a free college education  ($30,000/yr. plus all the other freebies they get) to play a game they'd probably play for free anyway.

Yet this is a profession. Is this not a profession for all of the coaches, refs etc.? Why is it that the kids could probably play for free, yet the coaches wont coach for free? 

Paid? No. Opens up too many issues. Here's what the NCAA should do; stop the hypocritical double-standard the players have to endure. If a kid goes out and spends an afternoon signing autographs, he should be able to see a paycheck for his time without the threat of a suspension, etc. The NCAA makes huge bucks on merch., the kids should be able to use their popularity to make a buck too.

my$.02

Paid? No. Opens up too many issues. Here's what the NCAA should do; stop the hypocritical double-standard the players have to endure. If a kid goes out and spends an afternoon signing autographs, he should be able to see a paycheck for his time without the threat of a suspension, etc. The NCAA makes huge bucks on merch., the kids should be able to use their popularity to make a buck too.

my$.02

I agree too bad college players don't have their name on the jersey if they did I could see the kid getting a cut of that..

What if a military man uncovered a plot that saved millions of lives what is that worth?? He'd get a medal..LOL  I look at college ball as a place to showcase your talent for a possible NFL career..

So because you get to showcase your talent you shouldnt get paid, though for your showcasing of talent a school could generate close to 100 million dollars per season? C'mon. 

my$.02

I think it would close many issues. How many scandals have we heard about with students getting things "under the table"? If these kids were able to get paid then you wouldnt have to worry about programs going under the table to buy houses for their parents in order for these kids to enter their program. The kids could simply buy their parent a house themselves. 

You dont hear about these scandals in NFL...because NFL players get paid. 

I think it would close many issues. How many scandals have we heard about with students getting things "under the table"? If these kids were able to get paid then you wouldnt have to worry about programs going under the table to buy houses for their parents in order for these kids to enter their program. The kids could simply buy their parent a house themselves. 

You dont hear about these scandals in NFL...because NFL players get paid. 

Ok how much does a star QB get paid compared to a avg lineman.. What if one doesn't like what he gets paid and decides to not play?? Leave college ball alone they will become money grubbers soon enough if their good..LOL

Ok how much does a star QB get paid compared to a avg lineman.. What if one doesn't like what he gets paid and decides to not play?? Leave college ball alone they will become money grubbers soon enough if their good..LOL

Then he doesnt play. Many of these college players have never seen money like that. To enter a program where you are "showcasing" your talent for 4 years and are able to financially take care of your family on your way to the NFL I highly doubt that a kid will turn away that money when they still have the stage to showcase their talent and get paid for doing so, albeit equally. If/when you make it to the NFL then you could wager for a bigger piece of the pie. 

Furthermore, college could still treat FB like the NFL and pay particular players more money if they are concerned that schools will still try to give money under the table (outside of the standard pay for all players) in order to attract a talent. Now you would have a situation where if you can afford a player then he can play for your program. If not then he doesnt. 

The same thing happens today. The best players arent playing for South Dakota community college, they're playing for Michigan. So these things would pretty much be the same even if you decided not to have a fair wager system across the board. Lineman make much less money than QBs but I dont see lineman not playing in the NFL....because they're still making millions of dollars even though the guy they're protecting is probably making 10 times the amount. 

At the end of the day, the money is their to spread to the players. Michigan made 65 million off of their program last year. You telling me they cant afford to pay their players? 

Yet this is a profession. Is this not a profession for all of the coaches, refs etc.? Why is it that the kids could probably play for free, yet the coaches wont coach for free? 

I guess my point is that the players ARE being compensated. They get a free degree. You could argue whether the compensation is high enough or not, but it's not like these kids are getting completely screwed over.

I guess my point is that the players ARE being compensated. They get a free degree. You could argue whether the compensation is high enough or not, but it's not like these kids are getting completely screwed over.

Im saying that the free schooling isnt enough. Im saying that getting paid would be better. Those kids could still pay to be in school and have much more available to them financially. 

I seen an interview by Richard Sherman as he talked about how he was at Stanford (getting a good education) yet there were times when he didnt even know how he was going to eat that day. Thats crazy. 

Then he doesnt play. Many of these college players have never seen money like that. To enter a program where you are "showcasing" your talent for 4 years and are able to financially take care of your family on your way to the NFL I highly doubt that a kid will turn away that money when they still have the stage to showcase their talent and get paid for doing so, albeit equally. If/when you make it to the NFL then you could wager for a bigger piece of the pie. 

Furthermore, college could still treat FB like the NFL and pay particular players more money if they are concerned that schools will still try to give money under the table (outside of the standard pay for all players) in order to attract a talent. Now you would have a situation where if you can afford a player then he can play for your program. If not then he doesnt. 

The same thing happens today. The best players arent playing for South Dakota community college, they're playing for Michigan. So these things would pretty much be the same even if you decided not to have a fair wager system across the board. Lineman make much less money than QBs but I dont see lineman not playing in the NFL....because they're still making millions of dollars even though the guy they're protecting is probably making 10 times the amount. 

At the end of the day, the money is their to spread to the players. Michigan made 65 million off of their program last year. You telling me they cant afford to pay their players? 

Once you add money to the equation you could have a whole team hold out.. Foe you should know by now money is the root of all evil mix that with teenage and young 20 year olds and your asking for trouble.. 

Im saying that the free schooling isnt enough. Im saying that getting paid would be better. Those kids could still pay to be in school and have much more available to them financially. 

I seen an interview by Richard Sherman as he talked about how he was at Stanford (getting a good education) yet there were times when he didnt even know how he was going to eat that day. Thats crazy. 

Yeah that sucks. I wouldn't have any problem with the kids getting jersey sale money or getting paid for public appearances.

Once you add money to the equation you could have a whole team hold out.. Foe you should know by now money is the root of all evil mix that with teenage and young 20 year olds and your asking for trouble.. 

Nope, money isnt the root of all evil. the "love" of money is the root of all evil, which is precisely why we no longer have honest weights and balances (real money) but instead have paper, digits, and debt. Trust me....I know the difference. 

Actually the love of money is precisely the problem here. You can make money off of kids yet not break them off a wages for their work. They're working for free, yet people say theyre getting a free education when that education guarantees them nothing after graduation. 

I seen a guy who graduated from Boston College law who requested that if the College expunged his college debt they can take him off of the Alumni list (because Alumni work history is issued publicly) and this guy couldnt find a job yet he owed 100's of thousand in loans. The college got paid via the loan, the loan issuer will get paid regardless given tax writeoffs if the student doesnt pay yet the student gets debt and no guarantee of a job afterwards. 

You cant depend on that. These guys are being taught not to treat this as a business by the very people who are treating this as a business....lol. 

Archived