My problem with College Football: Nick Chubb Injury

Villain The Foe

Im saying that the free schooling isnt enough. Im saying that getting paid would be better. Those kids could still pay to be in school and have much more available to them financially. 

I seen an interview by Richard Sherman as he talked about how he was at Stanford (getting a good education) yet there were times when he didnt even know how he was going to eat that day. Thats crazy. 

OK that's crazy I would be for a program that feeds the players like Pro teams do in camp..

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK that's crazy I would be for a program that feeds the players like Pro teams do in camp..

If he got paid 100 grand per season he could pay the 50 grand in tuition and have another 50 to take care of himself. 

Its not as bad as it seems to be huh? On top of the fact that now the school doesnt have worry about further expense for providing free food to the players. Everyone wins...which is fair. 

If he got paid 100 grand per season he could pay the 50 grand in tuition and have another 50 to take care of himself. 

Its not as bad as it seems to be huh? On top of the fact that now the school doesnt have worry about further expense for providing free food to the players. Everyone wins...which is fair. 

Nope I'm old school no pay for play for college players, but I would go for everyone that makes the team gets free education plus the free food.. Once you put money in it will cause nothing but problems.. Also if they put names on the jerseys the player gets a cut as well as autograph signings but that's it.. If your going to pay them get rid of the rule and let them go pro from HS if they can..

Nope I'm old school no pay for play for college players, but I would go for everyone that makes the team gets free education plus the free food.. Once you put money in it will cause nothing but problems.. Also if they put names on the jerseys the player gets a cut as well as autograph signings but that's it.. If your going to pay them get rid of the rule and let them go pro from HS if they can..

Money is already in which is whats causing problems. Everyone is getting paid millions except the people who talent the event is based off of. imo its a shame that coaches getting paid millions is cool but players getting 100's of thousands is a problem. 

99% of the people who follow/attend games dont go to see the coach. I can agree to disagree though. I understand your point, im just not in agreement with it, especially when I see possible career ending injuries like this. It surely doesnt hurt the schools, refs, coaches, broadcasters, networks bottomline, yet this kid's professional future is pretty much done. 

Money is already in which is whats causing problems. Everyone is getting paid millions except the people who talent the event is based off of. imo its a shame that coaches getting paid millions is cool but players getting 100's of thousands is a problem. 

99% of the people who follow/attend games dont go to see the coach. I can agree to disagree though. I understand your point, im just not in agreement with it, especially when I see possible career ending injuries like this. It surely doesnt hurt the schools, refs, coaches, broadcasters, networks bottomline, yet this kid's professional future is pretty much done. 

Get rid of the rule that keeps them in school and let them go Pro in the NFL and get paid..

Get rid of the rule that keeps them in school and let them go Pro in the NFL and get paid..

That could be a way though I would assume that this wouldnt work. In the NBA its cool because skill can support you much more than strength/power. Im not sure if an 18 year old defensive tackle could handle pro offensive linemen. 

But, I will say that if the NFL thinks they can and the kid thinks he could make the jump then the kid should have that option available to him. Dont hold the kid back, require him to go to college then tell him he cant be paid yet everyone around him is benefiting from his talent while telling him that if he benefitted financially from his talent then that would be a bad decision. Thats just wrong. 

That could be a way though I would assume that this wouldnt work. In the NBA its cool because skill can support you much more than strength/power. Im not sure if an 18 year old defensive tackle could handle pro offensive linemen. 

But, I will say that if the NFL thinks they can and the kid thinks he could make the jump then the kid should have that option available to him. Dont hold the kid back, require him to go to college then tell him he cant be paid yet everyone around him is benefiting from his talent while telling him that if he benefitted financially from his talent then that would be a bad decision. Thats just wrong. 

Ok how about screw college and start a minor football league like base ball has and let them mature and learn there and get paid like minor league players do.. 

Ok how about screw college and start a minor football league like base ball has and let them mature and learn there and get paid like minor league players do.. 

I agree. Hey, at the end of the day college is about learning something in order to support yourself in the future. If people can find other ways to do that then Im all for it. 

It kills me when I hear how people are upset at basketball players for skipping college and going directly to the pro's as if they could never go back to school if the pros dont work...and atleast that kid would have millions in order to afford school if the NBA doesnt work. These same people never talk about the potential for injury going to college. 

I'd rather get injured on the NBA court with my guaranteed contract than getting injured at UCONN with my scholarship. Some would say that their education is important but many of these players spend more time on the practice field, and in the weight room than studying and in the classroom. 

Giving a kid an athletic scholarship is just that. A coach doesnt want to hear that they're going to take time away from the game because they have a big exam next tuesday. I guess baseball had it right all along! lol. 

Beacuse no one would pay to watch minor league football, which would have to compete with the minor league system that already is in place, the college system.  

So you want college to pay??

I'm torn.  They provide a lot to players.  Education, room & board, etc, etc.  they provide a road to th NFL.  I think it makes sense to give them some kind of payment, didn't see what was wrong the the 5K they were allowed to pay on top of scholarships. 

**** him, he can get a real job like everybody else.  I put my life on the line every day working around gas, electric, construction idiots with nail guns, responding to emergencies in bad weather (hurricanes, blizzards, lightning).  nobody gives a sh*t about me

**** him

Dexter Manley was drafted out of Oklahoma st and couldn't read or write.. 

Show's how much of that "free education" these guys get. I assume that there are plenty of guys like him that didnt make it to the league. Why would the university care...they got their talent, and all they needed to do is provide a "free ride". 

Guys need to realize that there is more that they can get out of life than free stuff. 

**** him, he can get a real job like everybody else.  I put my life on the line every day working around gas, electric, construction idiots with nail guns, responding to emergencies in bad weather (hurricanes, blizzards, lightning).  nobody gives a sh*t about me

**** him

I give a sh*t about you Larz. I can request a group hug! :smilies2_3some:

THEY'RE CUTTING THE WOMEN'S TENNIS TEAM????!!!!!????!!!! WTF MAN! lol

There's no solution to college athletics. It kinda just is what it is. No one's forcing them to play. More kids should go to Canada out of HS if they're worried about getting hurt.

There's no solution to college athletics. It kinda just is what it is. No one's forcing them to play. More kids should go to Canada out of HS if they're worried about getting hurt.

It was a topic that I wanted to give my opinion on. There is a solution, doesnt mean that such a solution will ever be reached for as long as kids continue to not understand the worth their talent brings to others. 

It was a topic that I wanted to give my opinion on. There is a solution, doesnt mean that such a solution will ever be reached for as long as kids continue to not understand the worth their talent brings to others. 

What's the solution? It's either end the NCAA or live with it, imo. 

What's the solution? It's either end the NCAA or live with it, imo. 

Thats a rather limited opinion to have. No need to make this seem difficult, its just an appropriation of funds that they already have. Just include the players who generate it. Really, its not hard outside of the people who will have to share. It'll be hard as hell for them....I'll admit that. 

Villain - really good thread. I think about this all the time, but I know the kids getting paid isn't the answer. That would simply cause more problems. They have to maintain some level of integrity around academics, but where things are at now is beyond comical.

Even beyond the world of D1 there are so many limitations. The pressure on these kids is immense. My son was playing DIII football but had to retire early this season as he is facing his second surgery (he is a junior). I have done the math and the amount of money this program brings to the school is considerable. Yet when they travel for away games they are pretty tight. I realize that is a school thing, but still it is amazing how little they do for these kids. What they aren't allowed to do for them.

In D1 obviously the free education \ scholarship angle is there. But so many of these infractions make me laugh. These kids are bringing in millions and what they get in return is almost nothing. Even in the top D1 programs the % of kids that move on is small. Add in the time commitment and sacrifices the kids are required to make and this equation is out of balance.

I seen this play and immediately felt like there is a problem with college ball in terms of these players not being paid. And its not simply that they're not being paid, its the fact that EVERYONE EXCEPT the guys that are putting themselves on the line are getting paid. The coaches are getting paid, the refs are getting paid, the school is getting paid, the broadcasting companies are being paid, yet the guys who actually play the sport dont. Its sad when you think of the above and then see injuries like this. Nick Chubb's career is most likely done, meanwhile college coaches like Jim Harbaugh is earning something like 5 million dollars a year to coach Michigan. Either these players should be paid or everyone associated with these football programs should no longer receive a check. 

[url=https://www.youtube.com/embed/Do47T4gjWJI?feature=oembed] 

Gruesome injury but Id put money on it...he'll still have a career in the NFL, just not as a first rounder

Villain - really good thread. I think about this all the time, but I know the kids getting paid isn't the answer. That would simply cause more problems. They have to maintain some level of integrity around academics, but where things are at now is beyond comical.

Even beyond the world of D1 there are so many limitations. The pressure on these kids is immense. My son was playing DIII football but had to retire early this season as he is facing his second surgery (he is a junior). I have done the math and the amount of money this program brings to the school is considerable. Yet when they travel for away games they are pretty tight. I realize that is a school thing, but still it is amazing how little they do for these kids. What they aren't allowed to do for them.

In D1 obviously the free education \ scholarship angle is there. But so many of these infractions make me laugh. These kids are bringing in millions and what they get in return is almost nothing. Even in the top D1 programs the % of kids that move on is small. Add in the time commitment and sacrifices the kids are required to make and this equation is out of balance.

^^^This is more what I was looking for, not an agreement to my point (your opinion highlighted above) but rather the understanding of how these kids in many ways are being exploited to a point (underlined parts). When I see injuries like the one I posted it really shows what these kids are putting on the line for a scholarship, and thats if the kid actually has one. 

Outside of professionals, there must be thousands of kids who are dealing with injuries/health issues (concussions) because of college football. Now im not blaming football programs for people playing the sport and being injured for as long as those players understand. It is their decision.  What Im saying is that the academic commitment in reflection to the sacrifices by these kids are just way lopsided to the benefit of the institution. Its a damn shame when most of these players can collectively generate more money for their schools than they can for themselves in 10 lifetimes after graduation. 

Paying these kids could possibly create a future problem that I cant a this moment see, but what I do see is that these kids are literally putting their bodies on the line with no guarantees while everyone else around them are puffing on cubans making sure these kids "suck it up". The trade off is in favor of the schools heavily. 

Good response Max. 

^^^This is more what I was looking for, not an agreement to my point (your opinion highlighted above) but rather the understanding of how these kids in many ways are being exploited to a point (underlined parts). When I see injuries like the one I posted it really shows what these kids are putting on the line for a scholarship, and thats if the kid actually has one. 

Outside of professionals, there must be thousands of kids who are dealing with injuries/health issues (concussions) because of college football. Now im not blaming football programs for people playing the sport and being injured for as long as those players understand. It is their decision.  What Im saying is that the academic commitment in reflection to the sacrifices by these kids are just way lopsided to the benefit of the institution. Its a damn shame when most of these players can collectively generate more money for their schools than he can for themselves in 10 lifetimes after graduation. 

Paying these kids could possibly create a future problem that I cant a this moment see, but what I do see is that these kids are literally putting their bodies on the line with no guarantees while everyone else around them are puffing on cubans making sure these kids "suck it up". The trade off is in favor of the schools heavily. 

Good response Max. 

The DIII lense is the only one that I have experience with. So I will give another example but I am not saying this is how it is D1. My son got hurt in a game and needed surgery his freshman year. They paid for it, but it also went through our insurance. Just cracks me up. Even at the D3 level these programs are brining in so much money. You really need my insurance to offset the costs? Doesn't seem right.

Play a game on the road, travel for hours. Here is a hoagie for you kid. And a water bottle. lol.

Yet this is a profession. Is this not a profession for all of the coaches, refs etc.? Why is it that the kids could probably play for free, yet the coaches wont coach for free? 

you missed the point.  the value of the scholarship is over $200,000 for a school like USC.  then try to determine the lifetime value of having a 4 year degree from USC on your resume.  they are getting paid.  very well actually. 

Yet another expense with no guarantees. The moment a guy gets hurt thats when the "fine print" kicks in lol. 

they sell specfic policies for this.  If I'm not mistaken many college prospects have taken out policies if they go back for a senior year.  models insure their legs, hair, hands, its all out there

Archived