The Devonte Freeman TD errr not TD

JustInFudge

I saw the play and knew it was going to be overturned...he didn't catch it...

The guy defending it is right..that's the rule.  The rule sucks, but it's the rule.  You have to hold on to the ball when you're going down.  

So you didnt view it as a catch and run, then dive into the endzone?  That's what it looked like to me.

The rule is absolutely stupid. 

Missed that...what happened?

he NFL has blamed an error by a clock operator, and the failure to correct it by on-field officials, for an unusual run-off of 18 seconds near the end of thePittsburgh Steelers' 24-20 victory Monday night over the San Diego Chargers.

The performance of those responsible will be reviewed as per standard procedure, according to league spokesman Michael Signora.

The incident occurred after a touchback as the Steelers gained possession for their game-winning drive late in the fourth quarter. By NFL rule, the clock should not have started because the receiving team possessed the ball in the end zone without taking it onto the field of play.

The clock continued to run, however, and when the Steelers huddled, the clock showed 2:38 remaining instead of 2:56, as it should have. The Steelers scored on their final play from scrimmage, so the outcome of the game was not directly affected, but a second consecutive officiating gaffe on Monday Night Football was concerning.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13879203/nfl-blames-clock-operator-side-judge-error-pittsburgh-steelers-san-diego-chargers-game

the catch rule is dumb especially since it does not allow for a catch and reaching and breaking the plane with the ball. I made a thread about this Sunday the rule is horribly bad and makes no sense whatsoever. Mike Perreira says rules should follow the "50 guys in a bar" rule, meaning it should make sense to 50 casual observers in a bar as the right call. This call clearly does not do that. But the "competition committee" is incredibly bullheaded about this rule.

So you didnt view it as a catch and run, then dive into the endzone?  That's what it looked like to me.

The rule is absolutely stupid. 

Don't get me wrong.  It looked like a catch by any standard I've ever known, until the past few years when they started calling this.  But that play was a clear definition of this rule.  Wasn't really any different than Dez's from last year.

good call, bad rule.

the catch rule is dumb especially since it does not allow for a catch and reaching and breaking the plane with the ball. I made a thread about this Sunday the rule is horribly bad and makes no sense whatsoever. Mike Perreira says rules should follow the "50 guys in a bar" rule, meaning it should make sense to 50 casual observers in a bar as the right call. This call clearly does not do that. But the "competition committee" is incredibly bullheaded about this rule.

Ooops!  Sorry!  I checked the board.

The rule is crazy.

Don't get me wrong.  It looked like a catch by any standard I've ever known, until the past few years when they started calling this.  But that play was a clear definition of this rule.  Wasn't really any different than Dez's from last year.

good call, bad rule.

This looked like more of a catch and run then any time I've seen the rule applied.

Maybe I dont know the rule though.  Does the "football move or 2 step" rule apply?  Because he did both. haha 

This looked like more of a catch and run then any time I've seen the rule applied.

Maybe I dont know the rule though.  Does the "football move or 2 step" rule apply?  Because he did both. haha 

The point is, the play wasn't complete.  The catch was never completed, so even if you made a football move - you never completed the catch.  

That would be pretty cool if that was really what they change the rule to in the offseason. Instead of watching the ref review the play by looking at a camera with the black curtain draped over his head, they cut to a bar in the middle of nowhere in Montana or Iowa (some city/state that doesn't have a home team, and/or doesn't have any interest in who wins, so I guess then L.A. would also qualify lol).

I haven't seen it but the refs are god awful this year. 

Did you hear about the 18 seconds taken off after the kickoff in the Steelers-Chargers game? 

Of all the major sports, NFL refs are by far the worst. Not even close. That TV commercial where the refs are huddling and then realize their mike is on is so accurate it's scary.

The point is, the play wasn't complete.  The catch was never completed, so even if you made a football move - you never completed the catch.  

It's only not "completed" based on that moronic rule.  Guy gets the ball and runs two steps falling down, crossed the end zone and the ball bounces out when he touches down and it is not "completed"?  Dear lord.

That would be pretty cool if that was really what they change the rule to in the offseason. Instead of watching the ref review the play by looking at a camera with the black curtain draped over his head, they cut to a bar in the middle of nowhere in Montana or Iowa (some city/state that doesn't have a home team, and/or doesn't have any interest in who wins, so I guess then L.A. would also qualify lol).

"Guys, guys, the red light thingy is on.  Everyone put your thumbs up for the camera.  Dammit Harold, your thumb is down. UP, UP, you drunken idiot.  It's UP for a catch."

I saw the play and knew it was going to be overturned...he didn't catch it...

The guy defending it is right..that's the rule.  The rule sucks, but it's the rule.  You have to hold on to the ball when you're going down.  

Did you see the Golden Tate catch?  Can you tell me why his was a catch and his Devonte's wasnt? 

Archived