Ryan Fitzpatrick lifts Jets offense from wretched to good, which could make them great

thshadow

he was 6-6 as a starter, his backups were 3-1 including the only win over a playoff bound team they had all year

Yeah, go ahead and count that game where he had 3 pass attempts before breaking his leg as a loss for him...pretty fair, agenda-free conversation we got goin' on here.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how many times did that happen? ONCE?  how many has he missed? how many have the receivers had to make great catches to bring them in even though they had their defenders beat?

How many games has he won?

How many games has he lost?

I was actually being facetious because I doubt he would have won more than 4 or 5 games with this team last year.  No Decker for most of the year, no arm to get the ball down the field to Harvin (who came in midway through the season), no Brandon Marshall... it would have been very ugly.  Who knows maybe he would have built better chemistry with Amaro... 

Yep....anyone could easily say the Jets would be 0-4 right now with Geno.  Nobody knows, but we can allow our agenda's to steer our predictions.

Yeah, go ahead and count that game where he had 3 pass attempts before breaking his leg as a loss for him...pretty fair, agenda-free conversation we got goin' on here.

will it make you feel better to say 6-5?  the backups were stil1 3-1 and 3-1 is a better win % than 6-5, right?

How many games has he won?

How many games has he lost?

Geno has helped a team win as many as 8 games in a season, a team far less talented than most that Fitz has played in.  Fitz has never helped a team win more than 6 so are you sure you want to go there?

I wonder why Todd Bowles isn't starting Geno at QB now that he's healthy...odd.

he's doing a great job leading the team, he's just not doing a great job of actually playing.  he commands the huddle, his teammates respect him and they are winning.  I am not calling for his benching I just want him to play better or we won't beat good teams.

Geno has helped a team win as many as 8 games in a season, a team far less talented than most that Fitz has played in.  Fitz has never helped a team win more than 6 so are you sure you want to go there?

I still have my copy of Sports Illustrated framed above my mantle from Geno's majestic 8-8 season.

Yep....anyone could easily say the Jets would be 0-4 right now with Geno.  Nobody knows, but we can allow our agenda's to steer our predictions.

Are you serious? Kettle this is Pot.  Why would you assume the team would be 0-4 when Geno was playing very well in camp, he had better coaching in Gailey and Bowles and surrounded by the best talent of his young career?  I don't see why he couldn't have gone 2-2 or 3-1 with this group but since he is the anti-christ to you I guess I can understand why you feel otherwise. 

he's doing a great job leading the team, he's just not doing a great job of actually playing.  he commands the huddle, his teammates respect him and they are winning.  I am not calling for his benching I just want him to play better or we won't beat good teams.

You're not calling for his benching, you're just saying that the things he's doing well don't count.  Seems legit.

How they doin' without him?

it's a different year, does he have Arian Foster? is that D scoring every week like they did last year?

I still have my copy of Sports Illustrated framed above my mantle from Geno's majestic 8-8 season.

8 wins is 2 more than Fitz has ever helped a team win.

Are you serious? Kettle this is Pot.  Why would you assume the team would be 0-4 when Geno was playing very well in camp, he had better coaching in Gailey and Bowles and surrounded by the best talent of his young career?  I don't see why he couldn't have gone 2-2 or 3-1 with this group but since he is the anti-christ to you I guess I can understand why you feel otherwise. 

come on, we had a #1 WR in Percy Harvin, everything was the exact same.  only difference is at QB:lol:

it's a different year, does he have Arian Foster? is that D scoring every week like they did last year?

Yeah, and all those teams that went on to multiple SB wins when Fitz left must make him lose sleep every night.  Poor guy was a dynasty killer.

You're not calling for his benching, you're just saying that the things he's doing well don't count.  Seems legit.

I just want him to play better.  he was ok week 1, 5 TOs won that game.

week 2 he got another 5 TOs yet midway through the 4th(when we were +4 at the time) we were up just 10-7.

week 3 he missed receivers all over the place and turned it over a bunch in a close loss

last game Miami has 1st and G at the NYJ 2 to pull w/in a score w/ plenty of time left when we dominated that game.  should have been up 20+ at that point. 

we haven't played a good team yet, when that changes we will need more from the QB.

You could not have missed my point any more than you did.  I was making the point that I could say they'd be 0-4 if I allowed an agenda to steer me.  I did not actually say they would be 0-4.  In all honesty, this defense and running game is probably good enough to overcome Geno and his usual 55ish% comp pct and INT's outnumbering TD's to win some squeakers.  As it stands, they have a better QB which is allowing them to win games by more than a FG.

Saying you want the QB to play better isn't a particularly illuminating or intelligent statement to make.  I, too, would like our QB to improve.  Ideally, I would like him to be better than Aaron Rodgers.  Quick, let's have another 15 page thread discussing this topic.

That was actually I lie...I don't have a mantle.

Yeah, and all those teams that went on to multiple SB wins when Fitz left must make him lose sleep every night.  Poor guy was a dynasty killer.

2008 cin: 4-7-1 w/ Fitz, 2009 10-06 div champs

4 years in Buf- average 5 wins a season.  last 2 years Buf has won 6 & 9 games

last year 6-6 w/ Hou, 3-1 w/ backups

amazing how this always works out, isn't it?

Saying you want the QB to play better isn't a particularly illuminating or intelligent statement to make.  I, too, would like our QB to improve.  Ideally, I would like him to be better than Aaron Rodgers.  Quick, let's have another 15 page thread discussing this topic.

LOL

Nope, just the biggest difference.

oh boy.  I think I should move along now.

here comes jetsfan80 to enlighten us w/ his hard hitting analysis:lol:

2008 cin: 4-7-1 w/ Fitz, 2009 10-06 div champs

4 years in Buf- average 5 wins a season.  last 2 years Buf has won 6 & 9 games

last year 6-6 w/ Hou, 3-1 w/ backups

amazing how this always works out, isn't it?

Wait, you mean to tell me that in his first season as a starter with the might Bengals they didn't win the Super Bowl? 

How is he still in the league?

You could not have missed my point any more than you did.  I was making the point that I could say they'd be 0-4 if I allowed an agenda to steer me.  I did not actually say they would be 0-4.  In all honesty, this defense and running game is probably good enough to overcome Geno and his usual 55ish% comp pct and INT's outnumbering TD's to win some squeakers.  As it stands, they have a better QB which is allowing them to win games by more than a FG.

Sorry If I misunderstood your post.  My issue with you is you don't seem to consider that Geno could improve that "55ish%" with Gailey coaching him in this system he was very comfortable in. Much less having weapons like Marshall and Decker to throw to. The fact that he was coming into his third year after playing pretty decently the last month of the season is also discounted.  You feel Fitz is the better qb; he is certainly the more "experienced" qb no doubt and we will never know what the record would be if Geno never got into that fight and had won the job.    The bottom line is he is the starter and will remain so as long as the team continues to win; I have no problem with that.  

Moving on should be your go-to move.

when I am discussing football w/ a person who thinks the biggest difference btw NYJ 2014 and NYJ 2015 is at QB there's really no point.  of all the dumb things written on message boards this may be the most asinine thing ever posted.

when I am discussing football w/ a person who thinks the biggest difference btw NYJ 2014 and NYJ 2015 is at QB there's really no point.  of all the dumb things written on message boards this may be the most asinine thing ever posted.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000

Sorry If I misunderstood your post.  My issue with you is you don't seem to consider that Geno could improve that "55ish%" with Gailey coaching him is this system he was very comfortable in. Much less have weapons like Marshall and Decker to throw to. The fact that he was coming into his third year after playing pretty decently the last month of the season is also discounted.  You feel Fitz is the better qb; he is certainly the more "experienced" qb no doubt and we will never know what the record would be if Geno never got into that fight and had won the job.    The bottom line is he is the starter and will remain so as long as the team continues to win; I have no problem with that.  

Let me make myself clear on my feelings about Geno.

He has been so bad that I find it difficult to see him being a SB winning QB.  No QB to win a SB in the last 20+ years has been as bad as Geno outside of Dilfer and that's a fact.

I believe he will play better under Gailey, if for no other reason that he is surrounded by better talent, but Gailey has worked miracles with the likes of Tyler Thigpen, Mike Tomczak and Kordell Stewart. 

I wanted a QB competition this year but was fine with Geno being named the starter if he was going to be re-evaluated after the bye week where Fitz could step in if Geno hadn't improved.

I just can't get all the waxing poetic by fans who are trying to say Geno was anything other than terrible.  Go back and watch his play last season...he had plenty of chances to make plays that could have won some close games but he rarely did.  He was a bottom-3 QB IMO and he did not have a bottom-3 supporting cast.

The vast majority of his quality performances in the NFL have come in the final four games of two lost seasons.

I hope he's the answer at some point, but I don't believe he is.

I thought you were moving on.

Let me make myself clear on my feelings about Geno.

He has been so bad that I find it difficult to see him being a SB winning QB.  No QB to win a SB in the last 20+ years has been as bad as Geno outside of Dilfer and that's a fact.

I believe he will play better under Gailey, if for no other reason that he is surrounded by better talent, but Gailey has worked miracles with the likes of Tyler Thigpen, Mike Tomczak and Kordell Stewart. 

I wanted a QB competition this year but was fine with Geno being named the starter if he was going to be re-evaluated after the bye week where Fitz could step in if Geno hadn't improved.

I just can't get all the waxing poetic by fans who are trying to say Geno was anything other than terrible.  Go back and watch his play last season...he had plenty of chances to make plays that could have won some close games but he rarely did.  He was a bottom-3 QB IMO and he did not have a bottom-3 supporting cast.

The vast majority of his quality performances in the NFL have come in the final four games of two lost seasons.

I hope he's the answer at some point, but I don't believe he is.

Okay fair response. I think him sitting and watching from the sidelines will only help his career, whether it is with the Jets or some other team.  People who think he will never play another NFL game are delusional and have not looked around at some of the horsesh*t starting for NFL teams around the league.  The guy is only 24-25 and I think can excel in the right situation.  He may never become a "franchise qb" but he doesn't have to be.  I look at guys like Kaepernick and Stafford and think to myself; just how good would they have been on the Jets these last few years?    

Geno was terrible because HE NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN STARTING IN THE FIRST PLACE.  HE WAS NOT READY.   Yet even as lousy as he was he managed to play well against the Pats, Steelers, Packers, Dolphins, Falcons to name a few.   His last 6 games last year was much improved and he appeared to be on an upward trajectory.  I look more at that then just saying "he has been terrible"; especially if you are going to throw a blind eye to the entire situation.  A defense that couldn't create a turnover if it's life depended on it, OC who's offensive philosophy went against the strengths of his qb, a HC who was totally clueless when it came to offense period and a less than stellar cast of receivers to throw to.   

Jets believe in magic of Ryan Fitzpatrick as their quarterback

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, October 14, 2015, 11:15 PM
  • A
  •  
  • A
  •  
  • A

SHARE THIS URL
NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpiROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Ryan Fitzpatrick has the Jets on the right path and is earning accolades from teammates.

Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn’t been showered with this much adoration since his supporting cast included guys like Clifton Dawson, Brian Edwards and Corey Mazza. Back then, the beardless college quarterback was kicking Columbia, Penn and Yale’s collective derrieres during a magical perfect season.

The lovefest these days for the savvy facial-haired wonder knows no bounds. A fan base starving for a competent signal caller has latched on to the big-brained journeyman, who has helped the Jets to a promising start.

Fitz Magic is more than a stenciled slogan or catchy hashtag. It’s a symbol that maybe these Jets are, indeed, for real.

JETS INSIDER: FIVE CONCERNS TEAM FACES HEADING FORWARD

Eric Decker is all-in with the Harvard Guy, so on the trip to London he wore a green “FITZ MAGIC” t-shirt with an image of a Jets helmet and overgrown red beard.

“Obviously I wanted to show my support of Fitz and grabbed a T-shirt,” Decker said with a half-smile. “My wife helped me find it. So I ordered it.”

Jets fans have a crush on Fitzpatrick, who has brought a semblance of calm to what has typically been an unsettled position for this star-crossed franchise.

GEICO SportsNite: Jets after bye
SNYTV

088060f2-96c8-489e-8921-17bfe57528e5_052

Nobody harbors any illusions. The 32-year-old Fitzpatrick isn’t a long-term solution, but who cares?

Fitzpatrick might just be the right man at the right time for the right team to make the playoffs this season.

“He deserves it,” Brandon Marshall said of the praise for his quarterback. “I always pull and root for guys like that. Everyone has their opinions and thoughts. I know how much work he puts in every single day. There’s no days off with him. It’s good to see guys like that succeed. I know it’s a team game, but he really is leading us.”

Fitzpatrick’s supposed shortcomings have been dissected for the better part of a decade: too reckless, questionable deep ball, not good enough.

CHECK OUT OUR NEW APP: GET THE DAILY NEWS ON ANDROID OR IOS

Fitzpatrick stabilizes the team's most important position for the first time in years.MATT DUNHAM/AP

Fitzpatrick stabilizes the team's most important position for the first time in years.

Blah, blah, blah.

Fitzpatrick isn’t a carbon copy of his younger self. His game has grown.

“He understands now that he doesn’t have to win the game by himself,” Todd Bowles told The News.

“He has a run game. He has guys to throw to. It doesn’t have to all fall on him... Early in your career as a quarterback, you try to take over the game and be ‘the guy’ no matter what. He’s matured and grown out of that and become a guy that can command a game and make throws when he has to and when he needs to… and not when he’s forced to.”

Dawson, Edwards and Mazza – who probably turned into a doctor, lawyer and investment banker – have been replaced by Marshall, Decker and Chris Ivory. Fitzpatrick has leaned on his new trio to help the Jets to a 3-1 record entering Sunday’s game against Washington.

Ex-Jets linebacker Bart Scott often made reference to Fitzpatrick’s oversized head, playfully nicknaming him “Evolution” and “Pinky and The Brain.” Not surprisingly, Fitzpatrick’s mind never rests.

“He thinks so three-dimensionally,” quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo said. “It’s nonstop communication,” Marshall said. “He does a great job of letting us in his head.”

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE

Quarterbacks ultimately are judged by wins and losses, but Fitzpatrick knows that “the turnovers... have to come down a little bit.” He’s on pace for career highs in touchdowns and interceptions.

Fitzpatrick’s stats – 231.1 yards per game, 60.7 completion rate, 78.1 passer rating, seven TDs, six INTs – won’t wow anyone, but his chemistry with Decker and Marshall coupled with the reassuring veteran presence in the huddle can’t be overstated.

“That’s the benefit of playing a lot of football,” Decker said. “He’s been around for a while. Brandon’s been around for a while. I’ve been lucky to play with one of the greats in Peyton (Manning). So I think we understand the game cerebrally. We see it. That helps... If he’s smart with the football and makes some plays, this could be a fun year for us.”

Fitzpatrick keeps his receivers and coaches on the same page.ANDREW THEODORAKIS/ FOR NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Fitzpatrick keeps his receivers and coaches on the same page.

Decker is the only one in the locker room so far to wear the unofficial gear celebrating Fitzpatrick.

“I wanted to introduce it,” the receiver said before suggesting that he might buy t-shirts for everyone. “Maybe a Christmas present.”

Bowles has no problem with the hoopla for his veteran quarterback. If it works, he’s happy.

“Hey,” Bowles said with a laugh. “Fear the Beard.”

The magic is real.

For some people there will be every conceivable reason under the sun and then some for a QB to have bad results EXCEPT FOR THE PLAY OF THE QB.

Better coaching

New "weapons"

Harder schedule

Worse defense

Fewer turnover gained by the defense

Better offensive line play

Better Jets chant from the new fireman Ed

Better running game

As I said, anything and everything EXCEPT really really putrid QB play.  The problem is that the really really putrid QB play was there on display for all to see and we all did see it.  Some of us are able to tell the difference between really really putrid QB play and just plain so so QB play.  Thanks god the head coach can also tell the difference and from the sounds of it so can the other players on offense.

Geno has been basically the worst QB in the entire NFL for both of the years he started for us.  It really wasn't even close for 2nd place.  The weapos between last year and this year are comparable.  So no, in fact YOU would be wrong on that one.

Yeah, except for the HoF WR we added.  

Decker was also limping around for more than half the season last year.  How did Fitzpatrick look without Decker in that game against the Eagles?

Archived