Ryan Fitzpatrick lifts Jets offense from wretched to good, which could make them great

thshadow

That's what I miss most about Geno...he never turns the ball over.  When will Bowles wake up?

AGAIN, I am not for Geno to start so all the geno stuff means nothing.  you are trying to tear down Geno to pump up Fitz rather than just discuss what Fitz has done well.  that tells me all I need to know.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AGAIN, I am not for Geno to start so all the geno stuff means nothing.  you are trying to tear down Geno to pump up Fitz rather than just discuss what Fitz has done well.  that tells me all I need to know.

Ummm...Geno is the other option if they decide to bench the guy you're blasting and telling all of us sucks and can't play under pressure.  Makes it somewhat relevant, no?

Denver: He was a headache. I won't skirt around it. He had an undiagnosed mental illness and behaved like a child.

Miami: There are still dolphins fans asking why.

Chicago: Cleaning house and trying to save some money. Used the excuse that he was an issue even though players refute that.  

I see what narrative your trying to build here.  Marshall's talent was never the reason he was traded. He also has been able to stick with a team for more than half a season. Percy Harvin is not only a headache, but a overpriced gadget player as well. He isn't a number 1. He won't ever be a number 1. Anyone who thinks that Brandon Marshall and Percy Harvin are comparable on a talent level is just flat out delusional. There is no kind way of saying it. 

The reason why Marshall was traded is because the teams he was on didn't see themselves winning with him, and thought it was best to spend money elsewhere...whatever the reason.

Percy Harvin was exactly the same reason. I like Marshall better too, but you can't say Percy has no talent. Actually Fitz would be a great match for him. I'd love to have him and Marshall. You do know Percy got 10 mil to play this year right?

The reason why Marshall was traded is because the teams he was on didn't see themselves winning with him, and thought it was best to spend money elsewhere...whatever the reason.

Percy Harvin was exactly the same reason. I like Marshall better too, but you can't say Percy has no talent. Actually Fitz would be a great match for him. I'd love to have him and Marshall. You do know Percy got 10 mil to play this year right?

Not from the Bills that's if he stayed with the Jets..

Marshall caught 61 passes last year and was traded for a 5th round pick.  Why is it a foregone conclusion he's the best receiver ever?  Is it not plausible that maybe part of the reason he has three straight 100-yard games is because Fitzpatrick is able to get him the ball?  It's cute that people assume he'd be doing the same things or better with Geno, but the fact is, the results are there.  Our WR's are performing well and the team is winning with Fitz under center.  Yes, it is possible we can win playoff games with this guy.  Just like it's possible that we would be worse than 3-1 with Geno.  Both are very possible. 

He ended up breaking his ribs + puncturing a lung and was playing with some of the worst QB play I've ever seen but yeah let's just ignore that. If you think Fitzpatrick is the reason Marshall is playing this well then I don't know what to tell you other than you are so unbelievably wrong that it's scary.

For the one hundreth time, even the most staunch Fitz supporters should be able to see that the team is winning in spite of him, not because of him.  If he continues playing he way he is and doesn't improve not only will he be benched, but we will probably blow the best chance we've had at a post-season appearance in years.

I'm not saying Percy has no talent and I didn't skirt around Marshall's reasons for being traded. Percy has never eclipsed 1000 yards as a WR. The two guys we have now have done that AT LEAST once in their careers. He's overrated and has been overpaid. That's also not what he's being paid this year IIRC.

He ended up breaking his ribs + puncturing a lung and was playing with some of the worst QB play I've ever seen but yeah let's just ignore that. If you think Fitzpatrick is the reason Marshall is playing this well then I don't know what to tell you other than you are so unbelievably wrong that it's scary.

For the one hundreth time, even the most staunch Fitz supporters should be able to see that the team is winning in spite of him, not because of him.  If he continues playing he way he is and doesn't improve not only will he be benched, but we will probably blow the best chance we've had at a post-season appearance in years.

I didn't say Fitz was the reason for anything except the offense running smoothly, and getting the talent out of his players. He doesn't make them better, but he doesn't make them worse either.

Geno does do that. He makes the players around him worse than they would be with an average QB that could read a defense pre, and post snap, and inspire confidence.

When a few of the players start complaining that they want Geno I'll be right there with you. As long as the coaches Marshall, Decker, and the oline are happy with Fitz, I'm happy with Fitz.

I didn't say Fitz was the reason for anything except the offense running smoothly, and getting the talent out of his players. He doesn't make them better, but he doesn't make them worse either.

Geno does do that. He makes the players around him worse than they would be with an average QB that could read a defense pre, and post snap, and inspire confidence.

When a few of the players start complaining that they want Geno I'll be right there with you. As long as the coaches Marshall, Decker, and the oline are happy with Fitz, I'm happy with Fitz.

While we may disagree with what Geno can/can't do (I really believe he was going to make the leap and do those things before the IK incident kicked him out of the starting spot), I can agree with your second part.  I want Fitzpatrick to improve.  I wan't better QB play. I don't want to settle for mediocre.  I also understand that at 3-1 he isn't getting benched and that I have to be behind him as a fan.  I root for laundry, not names.  I just don't like some people running around (not you) laughing and ridiculing anyone who dares suggest that Geno Smith might have taken that big leap necessary to take this team to the next level.  Especially when his play in training camp indicates that may have been the case.  I just want the best players on the field.

Fitzpatrick is exactly who he's always been.

• Good leader
  • Below average arm
  • Inconsistent execution and decision making
  • Turnover prone

The first four games of the season are a good representation of Fitzpatrick's career performance to date.  The biggest difference is that now he's winning, and that's happening primarily because of coaching and the players around him.  He's in the best situation of his journeyman career.  He's not going to be benched if the Jets keep winning, but let's not pretend like Fitzpatrick is anything more than an average NFL quarterback at best who should be upgraded if/when possible.

LOL. 

Oh man, how can I forget the great Jace Amaro!? You know what's hilarious about that?  Gailey was using him more as an H-back than a "pass catching TE" because his system doesn't really use a TE. 

Let me get this straight.  According to you, Geno never looked better than Fitz during training camp, all those reports from beat writers saying that it isn't even close were nonsense, and Percy Harvin is Brandon Marshall's equal and deserves all the money he's been paid.  GOTCHA lmfao. Tell me, does Fitzpatrick's carpet match his drapes?

You know what else I find hilarious in all of this?  I wanted Geno gone in the offseason. Unfortunately things didn't work out that way and these are the cards we've been dealt. The difference between you and I, is that I'm not delusional enough to get down on my knees for a guy who has never won more games than Geno Smith's rookie year and hasn't done jack sh*t this season to give me hope that he can lead a playoff charge.

The tone of the conversation has improved.  I don't want to spoil that.

I never once said that Jace Amaro was great nor did I imply any such thing.  Please permit me to say what I am saying and you can say what you are saying.  The basic conversation arc was the number of weapons last year vs. this year.  Simple as that.  I felt your side was all over the place on this topic, spinning like mad and so it was easier to simply list the differences (last year vs. this year) and at least we could all be talking from that same basic facts with regard to the roster.

The reason we got here in the first place was a small group of posters were repeatedly making the claim that Geno's performances last year were in large part because he had perhaps the worst set of offensive skill players in the history of the NFL and that the set of weapons this year were better or even "dramatically" better.  In other words it wasn't Geno's fault that we were bad last year and that Fitz has been the lucky beneficiary of good/great offensive weapons this year.

My own opinion is that there is far far less of a weapons gap and through Game-4 this year and in going through the player list, Jace Amaro was a weapon who started last year who has not played this year.

I am not a Fitz apologist or even a Fitz fan to be honest.  Fair to middling (at best) was my opinion before the year and I see little through four games to make me change my mind.  Where I think we differ is that fair to middling in my opinion represents a huge improvement in the play at the QB position and we are seeing the results of that all over the field in terms of better offensive line play, fewer sacks and a more effective running game.  Oh, and won/lost record as well.

Eric Decker.  Everyone plays injured.  Everyone.  Once again he started 15 of 16 games for us last year or 93%.  This year he has started 3 of 4 games or 75% by any measure that gives advantage to last year for the offense that had Eric Decker.  Maybe he plays the next twelve games in a row at which point it becomes a wash but until then advantage last year.

Ivory is Ivory.  We had Willie Colon run blocking last year where he is still a dominant blocker in this league.  This year he has been out. Carpenter was a nice pickup but on balance it is laughable to claim that big of a difference in the run blocking.  Ivory = Ivory (wash)

Kerley is on both teams.  Not an additional weapon in either year.

Enunwa and Owusu have essentially been non-factors this year as they were non-factors last year.  Neither have shown themselves to be any kind of weapon as yet and so CLEARLY no additional advantage this year.  Unless six catches and three drops in four games this year represents a major weapon for you?  Does it?

Jace Amaro has been hurt and therefore unavailable.  Therefore we clearly had an additional weapons advantage  last year at the TE position.  Advantage last year.

So at the end of the day we are left with Marshall vs Harvin as the only demonstrable differences.  Devin Smith is a complete unknown at this point.  He may turn into a weapon but that has not happened.... yet.

Percy Harvin may not be a traditional #1 receiver but there is a reason he has had 8-figure salary years recently in the NFL.  It is because he is absolutely an offensive weapon. GMs around the league understand this and that is why he gets paid what he gets paid.  I believe that those GMs know more than you and the market has valued him as a premiere offensive player.   He may be a head case and bring other problems to the team.... Not unlike Brandon Marshall in fact but to deny his offensive talents is ridiculous on its face.  Do you claim to know more than the GMs in this league?  Are you perhaps a GM secretly posting here?  

To sum up.  The difference between the two years is Marshall added and Harvin removed.  Both are premiere offensive weapons.  Maybe not a wash but certainly the furthest possible thing the "from something for nothing" narrative that you folks have been spinning here forever.

When you add to that the complete lack of a receiving TE so far this year I think the notion that the "weapons" that Fitz has had to work with  this year are dramatically better than those we had last year is patently absurd and bloviating of the first magnitude.

The reason we look like we have a professional offense this year is because we have a QB who knows how to execute one.

The reason the offensive line has given up fewer sacks is because our QB no longer holds on to the ball longer than 30 of the other 31 QBs in the league.  It is not rocket science.  

You are absolutely insane.

Decker did caution he won’t make the same mistake as he did last year, when he rushed back following a hamstring injury.

“I’m going to be smart about it this time around,” he said.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/22/brandon-marshall-may-be-unlocking-the-star-in-eric-decker/

Decker wasn't himself for MOST of last year.  He has been at full speed or almost full speed every game he's played this year.

And Marshall is a HALL OF FAME wide receiver.  Percy Harvin isn't even close.

Again, how did Fitzpatrick look against the Eagles with Decker out?  I'll remind you: 35/58, 283 yards, 4.88 YPA (yikes), 2 TD/3 INT.  

You are absolutely insane.

Decker did caution he won’t make the same mistake as he did last year, when he rushed back following a hamstring injury.

“I’m going to be smart about it this time around,” he said.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/22/brandon-marshall-may-be-unlocking-the-star-in-eric-decker/

Decker wasn't himself for MOST of last year.  He has been at full speed or almost full speed every game he's played this year.

And Marshall is a HALL OF FAME wide receiver.  Percy Harvin isn't even close.

Again, how did Fitzpatrick look against the Eagles with Decker out?  I'll remind you: 35/58, 283 yards, 4.88 YPA (yikes), 2 TD/3 INT.  

Way to prove my point about the level of conversation.

Percy Harvin makes 7 million this year.  10 million next year. The people who are paid to know about these things consider him to be a significant offensive weapon.  I would also add that his first really big contract came from Seattle Seahawks who are notorious for being cheap with their players.  So you know what, i will take the collective wisdom of the people who get paid to make these decisions over the rantings of an Internet fat mouth.

Brandon Marshall has also been let go be three different teams.  Hardly the track record of an invaluable asset. He is not without issues.

Once again everyone plays injured.  Everyone.  Eric Decker started 15 of 16 games for us last year and he has started 3 of 4 for us this year.  It is pretty clear which of the two is the higher percentage or do you need help with remedial math?  (hint there is a calculator program in the Windows accessories older.  Just go to the Start button.. All programs... accessories... calculator)

The whole team looked bad against the Eagles.  Was all of that the fault of Ryan Fitzpatrick in whatever bizarre universe you live in?

While we may disagree with what Geno can/can't do (I really believe he was going to make the leap and do those things before the IK incident kicked him out of the starting spot), I can agree with your second part.  I want Fitzpatrick to improve.  I wan't better QB play. I don't want to settle for mediocre.  I also understand that at 3-1 he isn't getting benched and that I have to be behind him as a fan.  I root for laundry, not names.  I just don't like some people running around (not you) laughing and ridiculing anyone who dares suggest that Geno Smith might have taken that big leap necessary to take this team to the next level.  Especially when his play in training camp indicates that may have been the case.  I just want the best players on the field.

I was trying to buy into the preseason hype, and I would have probably even believed it by the time the season started if Geno hadn't got himself jacked.

I mean, have you ever had your jaw broken by a sucker punch? No me either. He blew his own chance, and hopefully this is a turning point for him. Having the job given to him, however would not be good for anyone at this point.

Believe me, if Geno was taking control on the practice field, and in the locker room you would hear rumblings, or at least you wouldn't hear so much exuberance from the players about how great Fitz is leading them. Right now I, and the players are just happy to look like they know what they're doing out there. Scoring some points, and keeping the defense fresh...oh and wining games

Chances are Geno will get on the field at some point this season, and hopefully he makes it impossible for the coaches to get him back on that bench. Either that or we'll have a three way next summer.

You cannot compare Fitz to Geno. No he hasn't got a strong arm, but it's not that bad. What I do see is a lack of communication with Devin Smith. I also see a guy making presnap reads (right most of the time) and getting the ball out of his hands very quickly. So if he misses a 3rd read that was coming open it's not the same as if he held the ball for 4 seconds and threw the ball to a lineman.

He also doesn't compound his mistakes, or allow the team to get down, but he talks the guys back up. He figures out what went wrong, and you see him going over these things with his receivers on the sidelines. I don't remember seeing that before.

Anyone being objective knows that Fitz runs this offense like no one we've had since Farve was here. I'm tired of the sulking, and confusion. I like what I'm seeing even if we have a couple floaters every game.

You cannot compare Fitz to Geno. No he hasn't got a strong arm, but it's not that bad. What I do see is a lack of communication with Devin Smith. I also see a guy making presnap reads (right most of the time) and getting the ball out of his hands very quickly. So if he misses a 3rd read that was coming open it's not the same as if he held the ball for 4 seconds and threw the ball to a lineman.

He also doesn't compound his mistakes, or allow the team to get down, but he talks the guys back up. He figures out what went wrong, and you see him going over these things with his receivers on the sidelines. I don't remember seeing that before.

Anyone being objective knows that Fitz runs this offense like no one we've had since Farve was here. I'm tired of the sulking, and confusion. I like what I'm seeing even if we have a couple floaters every game.

well said

def some bad mixed in with the good

also def a nice step up from what we had before him

Way to prove my point about the level of conversation.

Percy Harvin makes 7 million this year.  10 million next year. The people who are paid to know about these things consider him to be a significant offensive weapon.  I would also add that his first really big contract came from Seattle Seahawks who are notorious for being cheap with their players.  So you know what, i will take the collective wisdom of the people who get paid to make these decisions over the rantings of an Internet fat mouth.

Brandon Marshall has also been let go be three different teams.  Hardly the track record of an invaluable asset. He is not without issues.

Once again everyone plays injured.  Everyone.  Eric Decker started 15 of 16 games for us last year and he has started 3 of 4 for us this year.  It is pretty clear which of the two is the higher percentage or do you need help with remedial math?  (hint there is a calculator program in the Windows accessories older.  Just go to the Start button.. All programs... accessories... calculator)

The whole team looked bad against the Eagles.  Was all of that the fault of Ryan Fitzpatrick in whatever bizarre universe you live in?

Decker himself said he rushed back, meaning that he came back too soon and the injury lingered.   It was a hamstring.  That's a big problem for guys who run around.  Do guys really play with bad hamstrings?  Remember Revis in 2010?  How about Desean Jackson this year?  Eric Decker is much healthier this year.  So, get the **** out of here with that sh*t.

And again, Brandon Marshall is a HALL OF FAME WR.  Percy Harvin will never sniff the HOF.  They aren't even close.  By the way, Seattle basically gave a 26 year old Percy Harvin away after one year.  A 26 year old Marshall got the Broncos two second rounders.

And Randy Moss was also let go by three teams.  And that guy was probably the most explosive weapon in NFL history.  

I'm not saying he's THE reason, saying he's A reason.  As much as you guys like to complain about Fitz, he's actually made some really nice throws to Marshall this season too.  You should watch the games more.

And why, if the Bears knew Marshall was still a solid player despite his injury, did they give him away for a 5th?  His off-the-field stuff hadn't been an issue for a long time and Cutler always fed him the ball when healthy.  No reason for the Bears to just give him away.

Decker himself said he rushed back, meaning that he came back too soon and the injury lingered.   It was a hamstring.  That's a big problem for guys who run around.  Do guys really play with bad hamstrings?  Remember Revis in 2010?  How about Desean Jackson this year?  Eric Decker is much healthier this year.  So, get the **** out of here with that sh*t.

And again, Brandon Marshall is a HALL OF FAME WR.  Percy Harvin will never sniff the HOF.  They aren't even close.  By the way, Seattle basically gave a 26 year old Percy Harvin away after one year.  A 26 year old Marshall got the Broncos two second rounders.

And Randy Moss was also let go by three teams.  And that guy was probably the most explosive weapon in NFL history.  

Percy Harvin was given away because of his issues off the field, not because of his "weapon" index on the field.  Not dissimilar to Brandon Marshall in that regard.

The market sets the value and very smart people set the market.  Are there ever mistakes? sure there are, but huge blunders by multiple teams on the same player? Not so much.  Harvin is a #1 weapon period.  Different than Marshall to be sure but not nothing as you folks want to try and assert.

I know it has been repeated a million times in these threads but it is far from a lock that Brandon Marshall will have career stats that put him into the hall of fame.  Are you able to support that assertion?

<Edited to add>

This topic was discussed at some length during his tenure with the Bears with most thinking it would be a long shot at best for Marshall to make the HOF.

Why we would knock Fitz is just beyond me.  He was always a middle of the road journeyman QB and based on that reality he is doing very well for the Jets.  What did anyone expect Joe Montana like throws and decision making?

Let's face it if Fitz was better than that he wouldn't have been available now would he?

Yes he has missed throws and I blame him more than I do rookies for not connecting on passes but so what?

As everyone quoting Parcells used to say you are what your record says you are and currently the Jets stand at 3-1.  That's not bad at all.   I will take that for a new HC with clear questions at the most important position on the field, that is QB.

And yes Geno might be better than Fitz, he very well might be, but would the team again with a new HC and a currently performing QB in Fitz bench him on a maybe?

Would you?

On Geno's past record on the field and his recent record of getting punched in the jaw as a direct result of his immaturity  

Of course not!!

So why knock Fitz, all the guy has done so far is win.  

Percy Harvin was given away because of his issues off the field, not because of his "weapon" index on the field.  Not dissimilar to Brandon Marshall in that regard.

The market sets the value and very smart people set the market.  Are there ever mistakes? sure there are, but huge blunders by multiple teams on the same player? Not so much.  Harvin is a #1 weapon period.  Different than Marshall to be sure but not nothing as you folks want to try and assert.

I know it has been repeated a million times in these threads but it is far from a lock that Brandon Marshall will have career stats that put him into the hall of fame.  Are you able to support that assertion?

<Edited to add>

This topic was discussed at some length during his tenure with the Bears with most thinking it would be a long shot at best for Marshall to make the HOF.

The Jets were certainly attracted to Marshall because he has produced at every stop. Since entering the league in 2006, he is second in targets, third in receptions, and fifth in receiving yards and is tied for fourth in receiving touchdowns. If you instead start counting from 2007 — excising a rookie season he spent backing up Javon Walker and the underrated Rod Smith — Marshall is first in targets, second in receptions and receiving yards, and fourth in receiving touchdowns.

There is already a Hall of Fame logjam at wide receiver, and it won’t get significantly better even after Terrell Owens and Randy Moss inevitably don gold jackets, but Marshall at least deserves to be in the conversation for Canton. He’s rarely (if ever) thought of as an all-time great because he has usually been in the league’s second tier of receivers,2 but he deserves more credit for how long he’s spent time in that second tier: Marshall has five 100-plus-catch seasons, tied for the most in NFL history, and recently had a stretch of seven consecutive 1,000-yard seasons that ended last year.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-brandon-marshall-new-york-jets/

The Jets were certainly attracted to Marshall because he has produced at every stop. Since entering the league in 2006, he is second in targets, third in receptions, and fifth in receiving yards and is tied for fourth in receiving touchdowns. If you instead start counting from 2007 — excising a rookie season he spent backing up Javon Walker and the underrated Rod Smith — Marshall is first in targets, second in receptions and receiving yards, and fourth in receiving touchdowns.

There is already a Hall of Fame logjam at wide receiver, and it won’t get significantly better even after Terrell Owens and Randy Moss inevitably don gold jackets, but Marshall at least deserves to be in the conversation for Canton. He’s rarely (if ever) thought of as an all-time great because he has usually been in the league’s second tier of receivers,2 but he deserves more credit for how long he’s spent time in that second tier: Marshall has five 100-plus-catch seasons, tied for the most in NFL history, and recently had a stretch of seven consecutive 1,000-yard seasons that ended last year.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nfl-brandon-marshall-new-york-jets/

Listen, this is the bottom line.  The most dramatic move the Jets made on offense (other than Gailey) is trading for Brandon Marshall.  He changes the way defenses play and makes Decker a more effective weapon.  The guy was chomping at the bit all off season to show the Bears and everyone else he was still a top 5-10 receiver in this league; he was building chemistry with Geno and gave every indication that he was going to have a great, bounce back year. Fitz was an incredible "steal" for a 7th rounder and so far and done exactly what we need him to do.   Geno  now gets to sit, watch, learn and hopefully improve.    To me, it has become a Win, Win, Win situation and the biggest win was getting Marshall.  

Listen, this is the bottom line.  The most dramatic move the Jets made on offense (other than Gailey) is trading for Brandon Marshall.  He changes the way defenses play and makes Decker a more effective weapon.  The guy was chomping at the bit all off season to show the Bears and everyone else he was still a top 5-10 receiver in this league; he was building chemistry with Geno and gave every indication that he was going to have a great, bounce back year. Fitz was an incredible "steal" for a 7th rounder and so far and done exactly what we need him to do.   Geno  now gets to sit, watch, learn and hopefully improve.    To me, it has become a Win, Win, Win situation and the biggest win was getting Marshall.  

i agree 100 percent. Marshalls a difference maker. Cantremember a wr that mde this much of a difference not even keyshan

Hall of ******* Fame.  This guy cannot be covered one-on-one.  He gets an effortless 100 yards every single game.

gailey is doing a great job considering he has no TE, and only 3 good options to use.  its actually amazing.  the entire defense knows the jets action is going to be within 15 yards of the LOS, they have no reason to fear a deep ball, and yet marshall and ivory are more or less beasting every week

the list of useless players on offense = smith, enunwa, kerley, powell, stacy, cumberland, davis, bohanon

its really amazing

Archived