Cimini Article on Lack of Sacks Allowed by O-line

AFJF

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55017/jets-plan-is-to-keep-old-guy-upright-and-its-working

Jets were 31st in the NFL from snap to throw last season, so far this season they're 1st.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- So the New York Jets have allowed only two sacks in four games. That's pretty good, considering their total was 47 last season.

"Pretty cool," right tackle Breno Giacomini said of the improvement.

What's going on here? Seven of the 11 starters are the same as last year, including four on the offensive line, yet they're a different team when it comes to protecting the quarterback. Three reasons why they've allowed only two sacks:

1. Offensive line: The only new starter is left guard James Carpenter, so they're basically doing it with the same personnel as 2014. Therein lies one of the reasons why it's clicking -- continuity. Look around the NFL and you will see many teams that had to rebuild their lines in the offseason. Such is life in the free-agency era. ESPN analyst Bill Polian has said on multiple occasions that offensive-line play in the league is at an all-time low. Many teams are breaking in young players, leading to mistakes. The Jets' starting five isn't perfect, but each starter has at least four years experience. That matters. They also have a Yoda-like player in the middle, center Nick Mangold, who makes the line calls. He has "an offensive coordinator mind and a quarterback mind," guard Willie Colon said. "That's what makes him so great."

Collectively, they've been giving Ryan Fitzpatrick time in the pocket, and that's the most important thing. Proof: The Jets' average time from snap to release of the ball is 2.76, second-best in the league, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

"We take pride in keeping an old guy like Fitz up," Colon said. "He's old like us and it's our job to keep him clean and keep him upright."

2. Fitzpatrick: He's a huge reason for the improvement. It's hard to sack him because he sees the field so well and generally makes sound decisions, knowing when and where to throw. That's what separates him from Geno Smith, who was responsible for many of last year's sacks. Pre-snap, Fitzpatrick has the ability to diagnose blitzes, allowing them to adjust their protection schemes. That's why you've seen very few unblocked blitzers. Post-snap, he "never sits back there," Colon said. "Fitz knows where he's going with the ball right away."

There's a tradeoff with Fitzpatrick. You know he's going to throw interceptions -- that's his history -- but he'll save negative plays with his ability to avoid sacks.

"I think our line has done a good job with protection and I think Fitz understands where the ball needs to go and it needs to get out," offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said. "It's probably a combination of all that."

3. The system: Gailey's system is predicated on quick throws. It doesn't happen all the time -- they're among the leaders in long-pass attempts -- but it's the general philosophy. By spreading the field with three, four and sometimes five receivers, they create more options for the quarterback. They can also force teams to play man-to-man coverage, which makes for easier reads for the quarterback. And let's not forget about the receivers, their most talented group in years. While they don't have anyone in the regular rotation with the ability to gain quick separation off the line of scrimmage, they have big targets such as Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker who can use their size to make catches even when they're covered.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vick had a lot of sacks in his many starts since he was drafted.

Guys like Vick are tough to pass block for.  So much improvisation and running around that linemen don't always know where he is.  I think that's why Kaep got sacked a billion times last year too.  Even Rusell Wilson is getting hammered this season in Seattle.

For all the complaints over Geno taking sacks he was only sacked 28 times in 13 games and Vick, who no one complains about, was sacked 19 times. 

I don't think anyone complains about Vick because nobody cares about Vick.  He's gone and he was never a long term solution, Geno is still here and some people want him to start because much like Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf, he's got a strong arm.

a few reasons(not in any particular order):

1. the OL is actually playing better

2. the WRs actually get open

3. the OCs O is designed to get rid of it quickly

4. Fitz is making quick decisions and is avoiding hits when he is pressured

The O-line is playing better because the QB is playing more crisply.

The O-line is playing better because the QB is not hanging them out to dry on almost every play this year.

Or we could go with your "analysis" that the O-line is playing better because of magic and it is all just good luck for Fitzpatrick and just plain bad luck for Geno.

I leave it to others to determine which of the two is a more reasonable interpretation of the available facts.

The O-line is playing better because the QB is not hanging them out to dry on almost every play this year.

Or we could go with your "analysis" that the O-line is playing better because of magic and it is all just good luck for Fitzpatrick and just plain bad luck for Geno.

I leave it to others to determine which of the two is a more reasonable interpretation of the available facts.

you may want to read what I wrote.

He had it right. 

Two QBs were responsible for those sack totals.  Don't know how they hung the OL out to dry.  

To further your point, look at the Patriots OL. Nate Solder out for the year. Ryan Wendell hasn't played. Stork is on the IR-DFR with a nasty concussion. They are starting 2 rookies, Tre Jackson and undrafted David Andrews at center. That line sucks from ship to stern.

And yet Tom Brady is hugely productive. 

It's the QB getting rid of the ball that helps the OL. Geno was a disgrace last year, sitting back there forever, burping the baby. 

To further your point, look at the Patriots OL. Nate Solder out for the year. Ryan Wendell hasn't played. Stork is on the IR-DFR with a nasty concussion. They are starting 2 rookies, Tre Jackson and undrafted David Andrews at center. That line sucks from ship to stern.

It's the QB getting rid of the ball that helps the OL. Geno was a disgrace last year, sitting back there forever, burping the baby. 

Geno was awful sitting back all day and waiting for Brandon Marshall to get open when he just should have thrown it up for him.  damn geno!

Geno couldn't find the open man if you gave him 10 minutes. 

hard to fine open men when there aren't any open. 

I agree Fitz plays a big role in the reduction of sacks BUT it goes hand in hand w/ the OC and w/ the increase in talent around the QB.

except that Geno was only sacked 28 times.  Vick 19.

Blaming Geno for everything sounds good buts it's wrong

Fitz and his game helps but Geno's sack issues were when he got them, not how often

hard to fine open men when there aren't any open. 

I agree Fitz plays a big role in the reduction of sacks BUT it goes hand in hand w/ the OC and w/ the increase in talent around the QB.

Yes there were...he couldn't hit them.

except that Geno was only sacked 28 times.  Vick 19.

Blaming Geno for everything sounds good buts it's wrong

I guess if you see 35-40 sacks as a good thing then Geno did a good job of getting rid of the ball.

Crazy that Fitz will likely come at fewer than half that number.

yep, we would have been a juggernaut of no for Geno holding us back.

I disagree 100%.  The Jets would have won a few more games but they wouldn't have been a juggernaut.  To each his own, I suppose.

I guess if you see 35-40 sacks as a good thing then Geno did a good job of getting rid of the ball.

Crazy that Fitz will likely come at fewer than half that number.

except that he was on a pace for 32, not 40.  And didn't say anything about it being a good thing.  

But it's not a lot given he had no one to throw to.  

That they were losing all the time letting everyon on the oppositing DL know he would have to pass the ball

Or that it seems obvious that the line is playing better.

hey it's so much easier to blame Geno, doesn't take having to think

except that he was on a pace for 32, not 40.  And didn't say anything about it being a good thing.  

That they were losing all the time letting everyon on the oppositing DL know he would have to pass the ball

It's a pace of 34+ and that was with a game in which they had him throw the ball 8 times through the first 58 minutes of the game to hide his deficiencies but even that didn't work as he threw an interception on the potential game winning drive (shocker, I know)

Guys were open more than some fans realize because they read the box score, they don't see any names that went to the pro-bowl, they assume nobody was open.

You don't know how to math. 

It's a pace of 32+ and that was with a game in which they had him throw the ball 8 times to hide his deficiencies but even that didn't work as he threw an interception on the potential game winning drive (shocker, I know)

Guys were open more than some fans realize because they read the box score, they don't see any names that went to the pro-bowl, they assume nobody was open.

Vick threw less often and was sacked at a much higher rate.  

Youre going to beat it to death and tell us it's all on Geno. 

Vick threw less often and was sacked at a much higher rate.  

Youre going to beat it to death and tell us it's all on Geno. 

First off, who cares about Vick?  He's gone.

Secondly, Vick doing a worse job than Geno of getting rid of the ball doesn't make Geno good at getting rid of the ball.

2. Fitzpatrick: He's a huge reason for the improvement. It's hard to sack him because he sees the field so well and generally makes sound decisions, knowing when and where to throw. That's what separates him from Geno Smith, who was responsible for many of last year's sacks. Pre-snap, Fitzpatrick has the ability to diagnose blitzes, allowing them to adjust their protection schemes. That's why you've seen very few unblocked blitzers. Post-snap, he "never sits back there," Colon said. "Fitz knows where he's going with the ball right away."

There's a tradeoff with Fitzpatrick. You know he's going to throw interceptions -- that's his history -- but he'll save negative plays with his ability to avoid sacks.

"I think our line has done a good job with protection and I think Fitz understands where the ball needs to go and it needs to get out," offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said. "It's probably a combination of all that."

Paging the Deep Balls Faction, please report to the lobby for your meds...

Archived