Jets' Darrelle Revis: Best quotes from upcoming '60 Minutes' appearance

Jetfan13

FLORHAM PARK — The CBS news program "60 Minutes" is scheduled to air a segment on Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis on Sunday night.

The segment, reported by Armen Keteyian, promises a glimpse into Revis' world, including a visit to his hometown of Aliquippa, Pa., and to the camp in Arizona where Revis trains each summer.

Via CBS, here are a few Revis quotes that are expected to air during the segment:

On the definition of "Revis Island"? "It's some place that receivers do not want to go. We bring you over. We boat you back too. It's a vacation."

On whether he is the NFL's best cornerback: "I don't even get into that, but my stats and all of that stuff speaks for itself. And ... the film doesn't lie."

On his lifestyle, despite roughly $100 million in career earnings: "I'm a laid-back guy. ... I'm very simple, it's simplicity with me. Everything else ... the 10 cars or the 20 cars is ... that's ludicrous."

On his willingness to maximize his earning potential: "You got to be willing to take risk. I have five contracts in seven years. That's ... never heard of. If you're the best, you should expect to get paid—to be the best."

The "60 Minutes" segment on Revis is slated to air Sunday night at 7:30 p.m. (EDT).

FLORHAM PARK — The CBS news program "60 Minutes" is scheduled to air a segment on Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis on Sunday night.

The segment, reported by Armen Keteyian, promises a glimpse into Revis' world, including a visit to his hometown of Aliquippa, Pa., and to the camp in Arizona where Revis trains each summer.

Via CBS, here are a few Revis quotes that are expected to air during the segment:

On the definition of "Revis Island"? "It's some place that receivers do not want to go. We bring you over. We boat you back too. It's a vacation."

On whether he is the NFL's best cornerback: "I don't even get into that, but my stats and all of that stuff speaks for itself. And ... the film doesn't lie."

On his lifestyle, despite roughly $100 million in career earnings: "I'm a laid-back guy. ... I'm very simple, it's simplicity with me. Everything else ... the 10 cars or the 20 cars is ... that's ludicrous."

On his willingness to maximize his earning potential: "You got to be willing to take risk. I have five contracts in seven years. That's ... never heard of. If you're the best, you should expect to get paid—to be the best."

The "60 Minutes" segment on Revis is slated to air Sunday night at 7:30 p.m. (EDT).

Yet Mac can deal with Revis and not Mo?? Something stinks in Mo-Town..

we had a ton of cap room and had to spend a lot of it, we desperately needed corners and to infuse the franchise w/ some positivity.  it was the perfect storm to bring him back.  W/ Mo we have depth on the DL including the 1st rd pick we just drafted.  Bad timing for Mo.

Revis is in a whole other league than Mo and the value of overpaying dlineman has shown to be a folly at times.  They will work to get Mo signed but they are not going to hand him an absurd contract, and they shouldn't.

Revis is in a whole other league than Mo and the value of overpaying dlineman has shown to be a folly at times.  They will work to get Mo signed but they are not going to hand him an absurd contract, and they shouldn't.

And we totally agree but I wouldn't bet that Mo gets a Jet contract I think he gets moved after the season..

He shouldn't be making this much. He pretty much said himself he doesn't need it or spend it. What's the point of all that cash anyway if he's not going to piss it all away in his youth? He should return a lot of it so we can sign some other who actually know what to do with it. Freaking miser. 

:)

He shouldn't be making this much. He pretty much said himself he doesn't need it or spend it. What's the point of all that cash anyway if he's not going to piss it all away in his youth? He should return a lot of it so we can sign some other who actually know what to do with it. Freaking miser. 

:)

Revis contract is high, but he has more tangible benefits than just being the best cover corner in the NFL. We are reaping tremendous rewards in the development of our other corners, such as Skrine (who has gone from being a good to very good player to being a very dynamic top echelon corner) and Marcus Williams, and he also pays huge dividends in making the pass rush more effective.

We can go without Mo, have plenty of good options on the line.  And I love Mo, think he's great but he's replaceable.

There's only one great corner on this team and he's a key to the way Bowles wants to run his D.  

We can go without Mo, have plenty of good options on the line.  And I love Mo, think he's great but he's replaceable.

There's only one great corner on this team and he's a key to the way Bowles wants to run his D.  

i think some of us still understimate skrine. dude has been a key cog in this defense

i think some of us still underestimate  skrine. dude has been a key cog in this defense

skrine has been the happiest treat  this year , outside of 3-1

if he can continue to perform at this level against the Pats (along with about 10 other if's, lol) we may have a shot

Revis contract is high, but he has more tangible benefits than just being the best cover corner in the NFL. We are reaping tremendous rewards in the development of our other corners, such as Skrine (who has gone from being a good to very good player to being a very dynamic top echelon corner) and Marcus Williams, and he also pays huge dividends in making the pass rush more effective.

You realize my whole post was a 5-sentence running joke of sarcasm, yes?

Skrine has been good.  I expected nothing less, but if you take Revis off the top of this D, Skrine is getting an extra PI call every game. 

You sound like Sid Royce.  Sorry, but I have been watching my Wise Guy box set.

Haven't seen that show since it was first on the air, and even then I was only into it for maybe 1 season. It was a good show but by now all I remember is Ken Wahl's unibrow, so I don't know who you're talking about. I'll take it as an insult just in case.

Interesting assertion on Skrine. No way of knowing for sure, absent a Revis injury, but you may very well be right. Coverage is clearly a lot easier when he's only rarely asked to man up on the other team's top dog (and often neither of the other team's top two at that).

That said, I've seen the Jets field very good (or better) defenses, shut down "the guy," and still get torched through the air on key possessions or to close the game. Especially since for some time it's been something of a rarity for teams to 'waste' a starting position on a FB, in favor of a slot receiver (in addition to 2 other WRs and a TE). So I'm ok with Maccagnan overcompensating a little on Skrine while cheap QBs permitted the space to indulge in such a luxury. If he's an overmatch for a 3rd option slot receiver that might otherwise burn us, fine by me. Also since NE is in our division and their main non-Gronk weapons have been these shrimp receivers that are more quick than fast. All or most of the safety help has to go to aiding in covering Gronk (presumably Cro often on Gronk for the size matchup), and you can only put Revis on one of the remaining smurfs at a time. So whoever's covering the next man up in the progression has an actual job to do, given Brady's ability to survey and hit the 3rd-4th non-RB in his progressions.

Archived