Chris Ivory is on his last year of his contract. Talk of being best RB in league not good.

Jetsbb

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once we win something some guys will hopefully put aside the "its all about me" attitude when it comes to contracts and money teams build continuity and winning makes guys think differently. 

Ivory and Mo are must keep players. 

For some guys, I could see that. 

But Ivory has not made big money, and this is his 1 chance to set himself up long term.  The way her runs, he is going to have pain later in life, and I do not hold it against him at all to get as much as he can on his next contract. 

He'll be 28 in March and has an injury history.  Signing RB's to a mega-deal at that age isn't wise, typically.  Particularly when you have a stud defensive linemen that needs to get paid first.

Problem is Ivory is all we got Powell and Stacy are nothing, i just hope Ivory can endure the season and the playoffs without him this team isn't winning. 

lol my bad. 

The OP was talking about Ivory within the context of him being labeled by some as the top back in the league and the Jets potentially needing to pay him $14m a year to retain him. I was comparing him to Murray who also tended to get dinged up and had a career season at around the same age (one year younger).

I love Ivory as a player, he's a blast to watch, and hope the Jets retain him. I'll also be completely and utterly stunned if someone pays him $14m a year this offseason.

I think Ivory will be in more of a demand, but the Jets are a perfect fit for him; Because of our dependency on the run (and the way he runs angry) we will give him the rock more often.  Also, for a team without a top notch QB (what you need to be given the rock early), we have a decent chance of being pretty good over the next few years.  So, as a RB, you are likely to go to a team that will let you run a lot, have a strong OL, and an otherwise pretty good team.  Sure if someone offers 30% more money he might jump for it, but I think Ivory will want to go where he has the best chance to run a lot.  He saw what life was like on a team that didn't power run and rotated backs more, and I don't think he liked it that much.  Hopefully, this means we can sign him to a reasonable extension.

Agree, and moreover he's more likely to have a pass-pass-pass team (or an awful team, run-first or not, with no OL) tell him after 1 or 2 years that he's going to be a cap casualty because they can't justify paying him $6M again. So on a team like that he may not see a nickel more than the guaranteed amount.

Regardless, unless the figures are very close, money will talk.

In situations like that, I wonder how much (if at all) it factors in that the Jets have this gorgeous facility.

Archived