Patriots Week..What's the game plan?

Jetster

Well, here we are at 4-1 & heading to Gillette to play for 1st place in the AFC East. Pats have an incredible offense, based on the fact the in Goodells vision of the NFL, holding is legal if your QB is a future HOF, pick plays are standard practice & rarely get called and defenses based on these rules are literally playing with one arm tied behind their back.

Going into this game with this realization what is the game plan set forth by Bowles & Gailey? This is the best OFFENSE I can remember in a long time that the Jets will trot out there. Marshall is better than any WR we've had facing the Pats & Decker seems open 24/7 because of it. Colts TEs were non factors last night so that bodes well for us to use 3/4/5 WR sets. 

Heres my take on 4 weaknesses that might bite us vs the Pats. 1st is at 3rd WR. No one is stepping up there, Enunwa has been meh & Smith is learning on the job. If I was Bowles I'd dust off Kerley for this game, Kerley has actually had some decent games vs the Pats. #2, we don't have a change of speed RB! Can u imagine if we had a Sproles type to compliment Ivory? #3 we have no speed rushing DE, I'm sure Bowles is trying get Mauldin up to speed & Reilly to fill Pace shoes but we need an edge rusher bad when you see how good our interior line is. #4 special teams are biting us in the azz every week. Folk missed a 49 (I know they are not gimmes) but we face Gostkowski this week, and we had a punt blocked for a TD. Don't think for one moment that BB isn't working on something.

Curious to see what others feel about this big game.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the pats* defense is tied for 20th in 3rd down conversions allowed and tied for 29th in opponents rushing yards per attempt

be patient, use Ivory and a short quick passing attack and grind out long drives and cash in at the end

the key of course is that's what belicheat will be expecting, so fitz has to be really careful with the ball, and he needs to take a few shots downfield to marshall and decker.  I would be pleased if he missed long this time to save us all the hassle of having that discussion again, lol.

pats* on offense are unstoppable because physics prevents defenders from passing though patriots players bodies on pick plays, so edelman will have 13 catches if skrine plays or not.  on defense for the jets it's all tackling.  you have to get the smurfs before they turn 5 yards into 12 yards.  Gronk is gronk, you have to just write him down for 2 TD's and figure out how to limit the rest of the team to only 2 more.

the pats* will get all the calls, and probably outplay the jets on special teams in every phase, so the jets simply must be at least +1 on turnovers as well

the pats* defense is tied for 20th in 3rd down conversions allowed and tied for 29th in opponents rushing yards per attempt

be patient, use Ivory and a short quick passing attack and grind out long drives and cash in at the end

the key of course is that's what belicheat will be expecting, so fitz has to be really careful with the ball, and he needs to take a few shots downfield to marshall and decker.  I would be pleased if he missed long this time to save us all the hassle of having that discussion again, lol.

pats* on offense are unstoppable because physics prevents defenders from passing though patriots players bodies on pick plays, so edelman will have 13 catches if skrine plays or not.  on defense for the jets it's all tackling.  you have to get the smurfs before they turn 5 yards into 12 yards.  Gronk is gronk, you have to just write him down for 2 TD's and figure out how to limit the rest of the team to only 2 more.

the pats* will get all the calls, and probably outplay the jets on special teams in every phase, so the jets simply must be at least +1 on turnovers as well

the pats defense is mediocre we can put up a 30 spot on them 

Colts gave them more of a game then expected, exposed some weakness that Jets should be able to game plan

Oline injuries should provide some opportunity for Jets Dline unless the league suspends Sheldon this week, Gronk and Dion Lewis are concerns...  maybe put Revis on Gronk?

4 and 5 WR sets will be an issue for their secondary, Marshall should have a great day, Ivory too, maybe a Devin Smith sighting? Agree with OP on Kerley, he should play

Keep Brady on the bench with long drives and be in his face with pressure when he is on the field...

easiest gameplan ever, hit Brady 20x and knock him silly. take a couple of Personal foul penalties early in game. Pats OL is brutal, they get away from mega holding. you could put 4 of us on their OL and they wouldnt call holding. Unreal mon

Give me liberty or give me Brady's head on a platter, Game of thrones bloodbath needed.

We've been solid at covering TE's all season, but of course when it comes to TE's, it's Gronk and then everyone else.  Keep Gronk from putting up Madden numbers, put Brady on the ground a few times, and we absolutely can keep the scoring in the low 20's.  Sheldon got a lot of snaps on Sunday, so hopefully the rust has been shaken off and he's ready to be his dominant self again.

Offensively, keep it conservative.  Belichick tends to take away whatever you do best, but I don't think he can take away Marshall AND Ivory.  Hopefully one of those 2 has a big game.

Totally agree,Rex tried to go nickel but we didn't have the beef up front to stop their running game. With Mo, Leo, Snacks, Sheldon, they can hold up vs that beat up Pats Oline. The Skins line even with injuries are big maulers not the same with a Pats.

At the game this week there were a lot of people in the stands saying "no way this defense can stop the short passing game with these LBs in coverage."  Well, my response was, do you think the game plan for Cousins will be the same game plan as vs Brady?

To me, the Jets over played the run this week, switching to a traditional 4-3.  IMO, the Jets will completely pull a 180 and over play the pass and let the d hold the fort vs the run.  I do expect nickel base defense.

I am very disappointed we wont have Skrine this week, and McDougle wasn't exposed when Skrine went out...but, I hope the Jets play Revis in the slot almost all game.  Much like the Phins game where you saw him all over the field on Landry.

I have no reason to suck up to Jets fans. But pre-season everyone was saying the Bills and the Dolphins were to challenge the Patriots this year. I thought the Jets had a better chance  looking at the roster, they got rid of the clown, and brought in a professional HC. With the injuries mounting up on the Patriots now, I think the Jets my have the edge going into this game.

The simple truth is... play to our strengths, don't wet your pants.

Steelers defense has looked great all season, except week 1 vs. the Patriots where they looked like a 11 cats chasing laser pointers. They wet their pants.

Colts actually played well last night, until they tried that dumb trick punt. They wet their pants.

Brady is great. He makes teams feel the pressure of trying to keep the ball out of his hands. You can't let that unwind your whole team though... and that's what happens week after week in these Patriot games. I've had to watch far more Pats games than I'm proud of, living up here, and time and again teams wet their pants and hand the game to them.

Hit Brady as often as possible. 

He may be a great QB but he is also the single biggest pussy I've ever seen play the position. He took a sack last night on a play where he literally wasn't touched. He just felt pressure, didn't think he could step out of it so he flopped like a punk-bitch Paraguayan soccer superstar. 

He does this all the time, to the point of it being ridiculous. If Michael Strahan was going for the sack record against Brady, he'd have had 10 sacks that night. 

You want to beat the Pats? Hit Brady. He hates contact even more than that phag Marino did. 

The plan to defeat NE never changes:

On Defense

- The DLine must beat NE OLine particularly up the "A gap"

- "A gap" pressure moves Brady off his spot, once that happens
his accuracy goes into the toilet

- Must shut down NE ability to run the ball with a "light box"

- Must play physical press coverage on their receivers.  The
secondary must also watch the "rub routes" NE always runs

- Hopefully Skrine or Williams can play which would allow us to
put Revis on Edelman, Skrine/Williams on Glassmendola and I would
put Cro on Gronkowski

- With the personnel we have I would look to deploy a 5-0-6 scheme.
Which would allow us to accentuate our strenghts when NE goes no
huddle

On Offense

- The OLine must continue their excellent play.  Guys like Ninkovich
and Jones always seem to come up with game changing pressure plays

- Fitzpatrick MUST BE PATIENT!!!  NE will probably try to take away
Ivory and shut down our running game.  If they do Fitzpatrick must
not force the ball to a particular reciever he should go to who is
open

- No turnovers

On Specials

- Punting and punt coverage has got to have a total turnaround

This might be closer than I thought coming in. Jets did a fine job on the outside runs and screens that Washington threw at us.

Dion Lewis is going to be a main target.

I still think we are not good enough to beat them up there. Fitzpatrick against the Patriots in his career is 1-6 against New England, completing 62% of his passes with 13 TDs and 17 INTs

Put pressure on Brady.  No QB likes to be hit but it really bothers Brady.  We have one of the best secondaries in the NFL that would allow us to blitz.  The Colts do not have that option and had to drop guys who would normally blitz into coverage last night.

Don't make stupid turnovers on offense.  We were lucky we played the Redskins yesterday.  Their only points on us came off those 2 fumbles and INT and then the blocked punt.

Don't make the game any bigger than it really is.  It's week 7 (6th game) of the season.  Nothing of this game has major future implications any more than the MIA did.  You go out there and limit turnovers and win the field position and time of possession battles, just like any other team.  We're not Super Bowl favorites if we win the game, we're not doomed if we lose it.  You play the game like a week 7 division rival game, and nothing more. 

Hit Brady as often as possible.

He may be a great QB but he is also the single biggest pussy I've ever seen play the position. He took a sack last night on a play where he literally wasn't touched. He just felt pressure, didn't think he could step out of it so he flopped like a punk-bitch Paraguayan soccer superstar.

That's being a P*ssy or that's not ending up like Peyton Manning having to have neck surgery. There's being smart and there's being stupid. You wouldn't take those hits, I don't expect any QB or wide out to sit there and take those hits...them boys are big! (all NFL defenders)

also to add to the thread:

the Pats played a lot of zone coverage last night, I don't think this years team plays zone that well at all. If they play zone at any time this week, decker, (or your 3rd wide out I forgot his name) finding a spot in that zone and sitting could also help a lot.

That's being a P*ssy or that's not ending up like Peyton Manning having to have neck surgery. There's being smart and there's being stupid. You wouldn't take those hits, I don't expect any QB or wide out to sit there and take those hits...them boys are big! (all NFL defenders)

also to add to the thread:

the Pats played a lot of zone coverage last night, I don't think this years team plays zone that well at all. If they play zone at any time this week, decker, (or your 3rd wide out I forgot his name) finding a spot in that zone and sitting could also help a lot.

It's football and your quarterback is the biggest pussy to ever play the position. 

Archived