Patriots Week..What's the game plan?

Jetster

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Patriots’ run defense, frankly, emits a foul odor. Not even Bill Belichick’s genius can mask the deficiencies. Only three teams allow more yards per carry than New England’s 4.8. Ivory has racked up 312 yards on the ground the past two games.

will be huge if those #'s are not skewed due to much smaller amount of carry's or focus in 2nd half against pass & killing clock due to huge NE leads.

if we keep this game close Ivory should be able to punch NE in the mouth & take away any of their excuses about their run D

Please, please let Ivory get loose in their secondary so he can look for CBs to punch in the face. I'll tell you what blew me away was when Ivory got the edge & shifted into high gear! He's way faster than Lynch right now but still packs the same punch. It just sucks that when we rest him it's a HUGE DOWNGRADE to the next guy. I would have loved to have Ridley ready so he could get some revenge. BB has sat Ridley numerous times, I think he would have balled out in this game spelling Ivory. Oh well, hopefully when we play them at home later in the season.

The obvious is move the ball on offense and control the clock.  The more we have the ball on offense the less Brady is on the field. 

A less obvious strategy that if you look back at our games has ben a real big part of our wins is what I call the halftime double down.  If we defer or lose the coin toss, it's imperative to try and control the ball going into the half and putting up a score, then doubling down with an opening drive score in the second half.  Instances where this has happened in most games I've seen have either turned the tide or really put a nail in the coffin.  It can be anywhere from a 6-14 point swing in a game.  Conversely if we're on the opposite end of this we need to do whatever we can to not allow it, especially in a hostile environment against a team that puts up a lot of points. 

Do the Jets have an answer to Dion Lewis? He's shifty and can catch the ball. Harris won't be able to cover him and not sure davis will be able to keep up with him either. Lewis together with Gronk is a real matchup problem.

Shirty and can catch the ball is a good description not just for Lewis but for Edelman and Amendola, who also run reverses and screens. That is the NE offense. They do not throw deep. 

The Pats will probably look to eliminate Marshall form the passing game and then put the rest of their resources to stop Ivory.   Fitz and Decker will be the key.  If there ever was time to get a deep ball to Devin, this could be it.

The obvious is move the ball on offense and control the clock.  The more we have the ball on offense the less Brady is on the field. 

A less obvious strategy that if you look back at our games has ben a real big part of our wins is what I call the halftime double down.  If we defer or lose the coin toss, it's imperative to try and control the ball going into the half and putting up a score, then doubling down with an opening drive score in the second half.  Instances where this has happened in most games I've seen have either turned the tide or really put a nail in the coffin.  It can be anywhere from a 6-14 point swing in a game.  Conversely if we're on the opposite end of this we need to do whatever we can to not allow it, especially in a hostile environment against a team that puts up a lot of points. 

Last 4 games we have always had Time of possession in the 2013 30-27 win Brady was 22 of 46 no tds and 1 pick.. Oh and TOP was Jets 46 minutes Pats 23..

Do the Jets have an answer to Dion Lewis? He's shifty and can catch the ball. Harris won't be able to cover him and not sure davis will be able to keep up with him either. Lewis together with Gronk is a real matchup problem.

that's my concern him and Amendola.  Especially if Skrine doesn't play.

That's why I say F it go into nickel on 1st down.  Our D-line is so good we only need a couple lb's

that's my concern him and Amendola.  Especially if Skrine doesn't play.

That's why I say F it go into nickel on 1st down.  Our D-line is so good we only need a couple lb's

Why not press coverage all the receivers from second one and force NE to beat you deep? They don't have Moss anymore. 

In my opinion, the Patriots will use short and extremely quick passes, play action passes and runs on the edges. They will also often go no huddle to tire the defense and play action passes from there. I am not sure how you defend against short timing routes, conversely, I think that the Jets coaching staff is game planning for just that. I sincerely believe that this game is a measuring stick for this Jets team but anything short of a win is a huge loss. Just a thought.

In my opinion, the Patriots will use short and extremely quick passes, play action passes and runs on the edges. They will also often go no huddle to tire the defense and play action passes from there. I am not sure how you defend against short timing routes, conversely, I think that the Jets coaching staff is game planning for just that. I sincerely believe that this game is a measuring stick for this Jets team but anything short of a win is a huge loss. Just a thought.

Right because they don't have a deep threat. I'd take those routes away and see what happens. You open up the deep pass but I'd live with it as their receivers cannot run by the DBs in my opinion. 

Why not press coverage all the receivers from second one and force NE to beat you deep? They don't have Moss anymore. 

we will definitely do that as well is more conservative zone looks.  Brady you can't give him the same look more than twice in a game so we'll be mixing it up

Agreed. 

they are getting Lafell back this week.  He's not in Moss's planet as a player but he is a deep threat plus he likes to do that tricky stuff like motion Edelman to switch from slot to run a go route on the outside he burned us once like that with Welker for a 40 yard gain

they are getting Lafell back this week.  He's not in Moss's planet as a player but he is a deep threat plus he likes to do that tricky stuff like motion Edelman to switch from slot to run a go route on the outside he burned us once like that with Welker for a 40 yard gain

LaFell will be rusty at best? No?

Well, here we are at 4-1 & heading to Gillette to play for 1st place in the AFC East. Pats have an incredible offense, based on the fact the in Goodells vision of the NFL, holding is legal if your QB is a future HOF, pick plays are standard practice & rarely get called and defenses based on these rules are literally playing with one arm tied behind their back.

Going into this game with this realization what is the game plan set forth by Bowles & Gailey? This is the best OFFENSE I can remember in a long time that the Jets will trot out there. Marshall is better than any WR we've had facing the Pats & Decker seems open 24/7 because of it. Colts TEs were non factors last night so that bodes well for us to use 3/4/5 WR sets. 

Heres my take on 4 weaknesses that might bite us vs the Pats. 1st is at 3rd WR. No one is stepping up there, Enunwa has been meh & Smith is learning on the job. If I was Bowles I'd dust off Kerley for this game, Kerley has actually had some decent games vs the Pats. #2, we don't have a change of speed RB! Can u imagine if we had a Sproles type to compliment Ivory? #3 we have no speed rushing DE, I'm sure Bowles is trying get Mauldin up to speed & Reilly to fill Pace shoes but we need an edge rusher bad when you see how good our interior line is. #4 special teams are biting us in the azz every week. Folk missed a 49 (I know they are not gimmes) but we face Gostkowski this week, and we had a punt blocked for a TD. Don't think for one moment that BB isn't working on something.

Curious to see what others feel about this big game.

Heard on JN radio a good idea that I'd like to elaborate on. 

Place Revis on Gronk, which I agree with. Furthermore I'd place Skrine on Edleman and Williams on Amendola. I'd place Cro any other receiver. 

Heard on JN radio a good idea that I'd like to elaborate on. 

Place Revis on Gronk, which I agree with. Furthermore I'd place Skrine on Edleman and Williams on Amendola. I'd place Cro any other receiver. 

Skrine has a concussion anday not play he was at practice today but just watched and never put on a helmet

I'd line up Cro on Gronk and have him play bump and run with a safety over the top to help out.  Mix it up with zone and man to man.

Hitting the receivers in the 5 yard zone and not allowing a clean release from line of scrimmage.  Don't need much to throw the timing off.  Combine that with harassing the piss out of Brady and we have a reasonable chance.  

The Patriots’ run defense, frankly, emits a foul odor. Not even Bill Belichick’s genius can mask the deficiencies. Only three teams allow more yards per carry than New England’s 4.8. Ivory has racked up 312 yards on the ground the past two games.

FWIW...and I am not trying to slap lipstick on this pig, but the run D is inconsistent. 

By this, the D has done an OK job at run D, but have given up a lot of long runs. 

Gore had good numbers, but he also gashed the Patriots for a couple of good gains that boosted his YPC. 

Skrine has a concussion anday not play he was at practice today but just watched and never put on a helmet

I'd line up Cro on Gronk and have him play bump and run with a safety over the top to help out.  Mix it up with zone and man to man.

Not sure about Cro playing bump and run coverage. I may be wrong but off the top of my head I cant recall Cro playing a game where he didnt give constant free releases to the receiver. Cro is lanky and athletic but bump and run is not his game. I'd rather put Revis on Gronk and if Skrine cant play then get McDougle in the mix. Whatever we do we just need to keep Walls off the field. 

We need not to have Gronk require multiple men to cover him. It will be exploited. Putting Revis on Gronk frees up that Safety and we could use the safety to shadow a WR, Blitz, assist in the run game etc. 

They are definitely going to speed up the game and force the Jets to keep the same personnel on the field.  Bowles subs a lot.  And I think BB will see that on tape and try to get them into a package he thinks they can exploit and then no huddle to pay dirt. 

The Jets offense needs to win this game.  I dont care how good your defense is, you're not getting the best of the Pats at home.  It just doesnt happen.  The offense needs to sustain long drives, pound Ivory, hit some play action and just keep Brady on the sidelines.  However, they have to score TD's.  They cant be punting early, they cant be settling for FG's, certainly cant have 3 turnovers and expect to win.  Ultimately, they have to be able to punch it in.  And as much as BB's defense gives up yards, they typically are pretty stingy when it comes to scoring.  

All that said, I think we're the best team and D they've seen so far.  While the Steelers look good now, they were terrible vs. the Pats, leaving Gronk wide open all game long. Like, literally unchecked at the LOS. They've had a cake walk since then.  Should be a good game but the Jets need to be perfect to win.

FWIW...and I am not trying to slap lipstick on this pig, but the run D is inconsistent. 

By this, the D has done an OK job at run D, but have given up a lot of long runs. 

Gore had good numbers, but he also gashed the Patriots for a couple of good gains that boosted his YPC. 

as a Pats fans ... Which of these 2 options do you think will limit Gronk better ... Without selling the farm on everybody else?

1. Revis most often by himself or

2. Cro most often with safety help

I agree with pretty much everything JiF just said.  I would have no problems with our team taking some early risks to score tds.  If you are in the redzone vs the pats you have to score tds because they are most often going to score on you.  I'd rather lose taking some risks on offense than losing being passive and kicking 3's.  We've seen that happen a lot in the past with teams that play the Pats.

They are definitely going to speed up the game and force the Jets to keep the same personnel on the field.  Bowles subs a lot.  And I think BB will see that on tape and try to get them into a package he thinks they can exploit and then no huddle to pay dirt. 

The Jets offense needs to win this game.  I dont care how good your defense is, you're not getting the best of the Pats at home.  It just doesnt happen.  The offense needs to sustain long drives, pound Ivory, hit some play action and just keep Brady on the sidelines.  However, they have to score TD's.  They cant be punting early, they cant be settling for FG's, certainly cant have 3 turnovers and expect to win.  Ultimately, they have to be able to punch it in.  And as much as BB's defense gives up yards, they typically are pretty stingy when it comes to scoring.  

All that said, I think we're the best team and D they've seen so far.  While the Steelers look good now, they were terrible vs. the Pats, leaving Gronk wide open all game long. Like, literally unchecked at the LOS. They've had a cake walk since then.  Should be a good game but the Jets need to be perfect to win.

you lost me at..Jets offense needs to win this one. ?

Perfect or optimistic.  Turnover ratio is going to be the key.  If we give the Pats three turnovers in the first half this game is over.  Might as well go look for the girl Marvin Jones stole from you last Sunday.  Both results will just end up pissing you off.

Perfect or optimistic.  Turnover ratio is going to be the key.  If we give the Pats three turnovers in the first half this game is over.  Might as well go look for the girl Marvin Jones stole from you last Sunday.  Both results will just end up pissing you off.

How is Baby Crush doing in football, i forgot what team he is playing for? waiting to see him on espn top plays

One thing the Jets did under Rex in the past that always worked well was crowding the short routes.  The most difficult offensive days that the Pats had against the Jets and Ravens were when they kept insisting on trying to throw short, but the defense only rushed 3 or 4, and just had a lot of bodies in either short zones or jamming receivers.

It would not shock me to see Bowles continue what has worked in the past, given the talented DL and corner depth.

as a Pats fans ... Which of these 2 options do you think will limit Gronk better ... Without selling the farm on everybody else?

Oddly enough, I would lean towards Cromatrie as he has a little more ass  behind  him.  My reasoning is what Belichick did a few times last year with Browner.  He would put Browner on a team's TE to limit them. 

Oddly enough, I would lean towards Cromatrie as he has a little more ass  behind  him.  My reasoning is what Belichick did a few times last year with Browner.  He would put Browner on a team's TE to limit them. 

I think the best and probably the only way to stop gronk would be to double him. have coples jam/hold him off the line, knock him off his route, then pass him off to cromartie. any combination of defensive backs, gronk will just truck over. I don't think gronk can truck over coples

Archived