The Jets have the # 1 Defense in the NFL

ARodJetsFan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're actually probably best in both rushing and pass defense. Titans are technically #1 in fewest pass yards allowed but that is only because everyone is running right over them so they don't need to pass against the Titans (Titans ranked 28th against run). Same is true with rush defense; Atlanta and Giants are ranked ahead of us but that's only because they have no pass defense, they're ranked 28th and 30th respectively.  It's very rare to see a defense be top 5 in both rush and pass defense. TL;DR: we are the best defense this year. 

The interesting thing about this is that Bowles defense is not a scheme designed around limiting yards, but about getting turnovers. This makes the fact that we are #1 in overall yards much much more impressive. Contrast that with a Rex defense which IS designed to limit yards, and gets few turnovers. 

Another key point: I believe our # of points in the third quarter is ZERO. So despite Bowles claims to the contrary he is making tremendous adjustments at half time.

The defense should get even better sans injuries. You also have to consider the turnovers by the offense in both the Eagles game & the yesterdays game that led them to have to be on the field more than they should be that's at least 9 snaps minimum after 3 turnovers.

We have yet to play a winning team.

I hate that statistic...we played the Colts on the road, a team that was in the AFC championship game last season, opening game was against a team with a winning record last season, and the Redskins were an overtime play away from beating a strong Falcons team and coming into NY with a winning record. 

The Jets have surpassed the Denver Broncos as the number one defense in the NFL - # 1 in total defense, # 1 in points allowed and 3rd in rushing defense.

This is what the Jets have been missing.

We just have to take better care of the football on Offense and this team can be special.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

finally we rank high in a stat that matters point allowed--and no some contorted Rex Ryan moral victory stat like #1 in rushing yards allowed in 4pm games against teams with a "J" in their name

I'm excited for this game because I think it gives us a real shot to know where we stand this season. I have no idea if this is a Super Bowl defense. I get that conventional and efficiency numbers both say we are, but man, it's just impossible for me to ignore how soft this schedule has been. I've been starting to have expectations and I just want to know if they are valid already. The good news is baseball has taken over my life so I'm not stressing about this sh*t like it normally would.

But what I saw in the second half of yesterday, Redskins or no Redskins, we looked like a contender for a pretty long moment there. The way we came out, beasted in the trenches and then scored a bunch of points in a short period of time, it seems like the last time I saw the Jets play like that was eons ago. I was too used to the Mangini and Rex years, when football used to put me to sleep.

Archived