Back from my first Metlife Experience...

Maxman

Joe that looks awesome you gotta tell me where you get those hamburger buns ? I have been looking for that type bun for years ...Restaurant supply ? I love the Avacado on the burgers with some red onion :)

I see now the buns were baked fresh and I live in Texas where the bread just does not stack up to my old Brooklyn days :(

Quality bread is hard to find in the south and most of the midwest. You may not be able to find a good brioche like this, but think outside the box and see if you have a local "hippie" bakery that does a sourdough roll or something like that. That's what I did when I lived in the midwest, since I couldn't find a simple, good bulkie roll anywhere. Bread will be healthier for you from a place like this too... 

Sometimes I'd buy the King's Hawaiian bread as an alternative to burger buns, if the grocery store stocked them. 

It's amazing how much some parts of this country neglects the most important part of a sandwich. ;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the kind words Jif, good to finally meet in real life!

We had a pretty good spread for this game, it was all dishes with an Italian-American influence. Normally I am so busy that I can't get around to taking pics, but I have some great guys join the crew this year so I am able to tackle the more complicated stuff and have a little time to relax and enjoy the party more.

Here is Sal and George working 1 of the 2 4 burner griddles kicking off the day with the Italian style Taylor ham pork roll. This was served on custom bakery baked italian rolls with homemade fig jam, provolone, and baby arugula,

Here is half of the food line with the Taylor ham sandwiches, some awesome italian sausage (lafrieda) and peppers, and mom's peas and macaroni with bacon

And here is the pesto sauce i was making

Which was then folded in with some Calabro's hand dipped ricotta cheese to make the Jets Pesto burger which was a Lafrieda fresh ground blend of chuck/brisket/short rib on a fresh baked brioche bun

It was a pretty good spread!

This whole post is full of win.

Joe that looks awesome you gotta tell me where you get those hamburger buns ? I have been looking for that type bun for years ...Restaurant supply ? I love the Avacado on the burgers with some red onion :)

I see now the buns were baked fresh and I live in Texas where the bread just does not stack up to my old Brooklyn days :(

A very well known Brooklyn/Staten Island bakery custom bakes them for me. I go to their production kitchen late at night Saturday so they are as fresh as possible for Sunday morning. I am currently working with them to develop a bun that I seriously think is turning out to be the greatest f##king hamburger bun ever created.

Archived