Mathew Slater out for Pats

Jetster

Powell was on the team in 2014 and was the punt returner for 1/4 of the season.  He sucked.  He was a rookie, but he had an opportunity.  He had a nice little preseason, but I would imagine that he didn't show much in camp either.

I think mediocre is "fine".  That may be the issue.  Based on our coverage teams, it is quite possible that JiF has a point about the blocking. 

Oh its definitely a problem.  They dont have a good scheme at all.  Every time he fielded a punt on Sunday, he had 1 or 2 guys running free at him.  That little 20 yard return he had, he had to make 2 guys miss immediately and then another to get up the sideline.  There is a reason he has to fair catch so many.  It's really bad.  They seem very scared to get flagged on the return team.

There have been 200+ punts this season and only 6 TD's.  It's not like every team is doing it, every week.  Its rare and typically a product of blown coverage.  The only guy you constantly see making people miss is Landry.   

This is a classic case of bitching just to bitch. 

Powell was on the team in 2014 and was the punt returner for 1/4 of the season.  He sucked.  He was a rookie, but he had an opportunity.  He had a nice little preseason, but I would imagine that he didn't show much in camp either.

I think mediocre is "fine".  That may be the issue.  Based on our coverage teams, it is quite possible that JiF has a point about the blocking. 

Honestly, Im no longer allowing anything from the Rex Ryan era to influence me when it comes to player ability, especially rookies lol. 

With thats said, Powell had a better preseason than Kerley returning punts. I think people saying that Powell is "better" is taking it too far, people saying that Powell should have gotten an opportunity im in complete agreement with. 

agreed...How sad that a thread is started about a ST player being out.

I don't know man. A good ST player can change a game. This fella is a pretty good one and it's certainly good that he's out. I'm Meh beacause the pats just know how to make scrubs into players. I doubt there will be much drop off.

I don't know man. A good ST player can change a game. This fella is a pretty good one and it's certainly good that he's out. I'm Meh beacause the pats just know how to make scrubs into players. I doubt there will be much drop off.

This game won't be decided by one player on ST.... Every person on every NFL roster was the best athlete in their county.  

All these players are rock stars....

agreed...How sad that a thread is started about a ST player being out.

your such a d*ck! How do you think Belichick wins so many games? Because they get the edge in every game they play somehow! One slipped tackle, one long punt return can be the difference in one game. In football, every single play counts, one play at a time.

seriously Matt Slater lmao

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/matthew-slater-special-teams-new-england-patriots/

Seven years later, Slater is on his way to his second Super Bowl and is widely regarded as one of the NFL’s best — if not the best — special teams players. He was voted into his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl this year, two away from former Buffalo Bills gunner Steve Tasker’s record of six straight, has made three of the last four All-Pro teams,1 and has been a team captain since 2011.

The guys is one of the absolute BEST at his job.  While I understand that "best gunner ever" and "special teams captain" is not held in the same regard as even say "#3 WR" by most fans, the guy is great at what he does.

The teams that don't value special teams are the ones constantly bobbling punt returns, giving up long returns, being caught flat footed when the other team runs a fake, etc.  I understand why someone would not value special teams as much as offense or defense, but it definitely still has a role to play, and should not be brushed off lightly.

Kerley had a good day on Sunday.  He is not a bad punt returner.  He is mid-pack in average and not particularly high on fair catch list either, though some of those guys played an extra game.  He is averaging more than guys like McCluster and De'Anthony Thomas that we thought would be instant upgrades.

problem is he's wildly inconsistent he will have a couple of decent returns that make his average seem middle of the pack but he just sucks and has terrible vision on returns

This game won't be decided by one player on ST.... Every person on every NFL roster was the best athlete in their county.  

All these players are rock stars....

Indeed. 

But it very much can be won by one player. 

Even if not, it's a team game, as I'm sure you are aware. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. If losing a truly gifted ST ace weakens a link in the chain it's a positive that I'll take.

Remember the 2009-10 years? Brad Smith essentially won a couple of those games for us, or at minimum changed the game's momentum. If those teams had a top notch gunner, maybe he never gets those scores or great returns and it's a different history.

problem is he's wildly inconsistent he will have a couple of decent returns that make his average seem middle of the pack but he just sucks and has terrible vision on returns

This is the problem with the eye test.  Villain says that Kerley doesn't scare anybody and doesn't break a big one, you say he has a couple of decent returns that make his average seem middle of the pack.  Make up your minds.  Is he inconsistent or incapable of breaking one?  The guy is a mid-level returner man.  I understand that.  What people don't seem to understand is that Walt Powell and guys like Jalen Saunders are considerably worse than mid-level.  Worse than that, they give you nothing in the other aspects of the game. 

Indeed. 

But it very much can be won by one player. 

Even if not, it's a team game, as I'm sure you are aware. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. If losing a truly gifted ST ace weakens a link in the chain it's a positive that I'll take.

Remember the 2009-10 years? Brad Smith essentially won a couple of those games for us, or at minimum changed the game's momentum. If those teams had a top notch gunner, maybe he never gets those scores or great returns and it's a different history.

Yes...of course. One player, especially if he is a Brady or Gronk, Beckham, perhaps a Revis. I just  find it amusing that the loss of a gunner is thought to be a difference.

This is the problem with the eye test.  Villain says that Kerley doesn't scare anybody and doesn't break a big one, you say he has a couple of decent returns that make his average seem middle of the pack.  Make up your minds.  Is he inconsistent or incapable of breaking one?  The guy is a mid-level returner man.  I understand that.  What people don't seem to understand is that Walt Powell and guys like Jalen Saunders are considerably worse than mid-level.  Worse than that, they give you nothing in the other aspects of the game. 

He's middle of the pack because fair catches are not factored into return yard average.

He's middle of the pack because fair catches are not factored into return yard average.

Once again, a nice theory except that he does not fair catch more balls than other returners.  Guys like GInn, Edelman and Antonio Brown fair catch at least as much and Jet fans don't bust on them.  Most of this comes from 2012 when he set the record, but he has not been fair catching so much since.  Hell, Landry had the same number of returns in 2014 and he had six more fair catches. 

Archived