Stevan Ridley chance he plays Sunday

joewilly12

Coach Todd Bowles said there's a chance Stevan Ridley (knee, PUP) plays Sunday against the Patriots.

Ridley is practicing in full and could be activated from PUP this week. He should be close to 100 percent at over a year removed from ACL surgery. Ridley will likely have a change-of-pace role if active.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/stevan_ridley_dee_milliner_return_to_practice_as_j.html

FLORHAM PARK — The Jets on Wednesday held their first official practice of Patriots week. Here's an update on the Jets' injured players: 

PLUS: With New England Patriots' Tom Brady next, Jets' Leonard Williams wants to 'mess him up a little bit'

• RB Stevan Ridley (knee): The former Patriot is a year removed from tearing his ACL and MCL. He participated in a special teams period and a position drill during the 30-minute open portion of Wednesday's practice. It was unclear if Ridley would fully participate in practice, or be limited. Ridley remains on the physically unable to perform list. This is the first week he is eligible to both practice and play. It is unclear, though, if he will play Sunday at the Patriots. Now that Ridley is back at practice, the Jets have a 21-day window to add him to their 53-man active roster. Ridley might play this week, Jets coach Todd Bowles said Monday. But that's not a sure thing yet. Ridley can practice this week and still not play Sunday. He can now spend, at most, three more games off the 53-man roster. He'd have to be added by the Nov. 12 game against the Bills, at the latest. 

• CB Buster Skrine (concussion): He got hurt in last Sunday's win over Washington. He went through stretching Wednesday, but didn't have his helmet. After stretching, he headed inside the Jets' facility. It looked like he almost certainly wouldn't practice Wednesday. His status for Sunday is in question. It all depends on how he does in the NFL's post-concussion assessment protocol. He's an important player for the Jets' defense, especially with the Jets having to face quarterback Tom Brady on Sunday. 

• RB Bilal Powell (sprained ankle): He was also hurt against Washington, and also didn't have his helmet Wednesday at practice. He went to the rehab area after stretching. It seemed unlikely that he would practice. He is the Jets' third-down back. Zac Stacy replaced him in that role against Washington. But if Ridley plays Sunday, and Powell doesn't, Ridley could see significant action as the complementary back to Chris Ivory

• CB Dee Milliner (wrist): Like Ridley, he participated in special teams action Wednesday. Milliner wore a brace/soft cast on his surgically repaired right wrist. Milliner remains on short-term injured reserve. This is the first week he can practice. Sure enough, he was back out there Wednesday, at least in some capacity. But he can't play yet. He must miss two more games before he can join the active roster. 

• WR Chris Owusu (knee scope): The Jets' No. 3 receiver has missed the past three games, but he had his helmet on Wednesday and went through position drills during the open part of practice — potentially a good sign for his chances of playing Sunday. The Jets could use him, since receiver Quincy Enunwa will miss the next four games (domestic violence suspension). 

• CB Marcus Williams (hamstring): He is the Jets' top choice to replace Skrine as the slot corner. Dexter McDougle is the second choice. Williams didn't play against Washington because of his hamstring, so McDougle took over for Skrine. Like Owusu, Williams had his helmet and got some action during the open portion of Wednesday's practice, but also stopped by the rehab area. As with Owusu, it was unclear just how much Williams would be able to practice. 

• S Jaiquawn Jarrett (knee): The backup missed the Washington game — the first game he's missed this season. He wasn't present during the open portion of Wednesday's practice. 

I'm probably one of the few who's still high on Milliner, but if he develops as anticipated, this secondary has the ability to stifle the Brady's and Rodgers' of the world. Combine with the Dline and it's a championship defense with an above avg offense that makes us a legit contender in an NFL with very few elite teams. 

Hmmm... 4 years of below 500 ball and we haven't beaten a team with a winning record this year  I cut him a break. ?

None of the years before this season have anything to do with what we are today.

Are the Mets average or below average?  

I'm probably one of the few who's still high on Milliner, but if he develops as anticipated, this secondary has the ability to stifle the Brady's and Rodgers' of the world. Combine with the Dline and it's a championship defense with an above avg offense that makes us a legit contender in an NFL with very few elite teams. 

This secondary has always performed well against the top QB's in the NFL Prior to last year's mess. We have Given Brady and Manning Fits and even Rodgers struggled the 2 times we played them well he struggled compaired to his normal output. What has killed us and made QB's stats look better then they actually were are the turnovers and we seemed to have fixed that situation since Geno is on the bench and Sanchez is in Philly. Milliner is a complete crap shoot at this stage and I think his days will be numbered

Meh.

I'm always leery of bringing in former Patriot players, especially offensive ones. Without the benefit of cheating, the refs flagging the other team for every little thing, their OLinemen being allowed to hold on every play, and having Brady as their QB, they're usually JAGs.

I am a long time die hard Yankee fan. However, I am VERY HAPPY for my Mets/Jets brothers. Our club here in Charlotte has been electric all month. Guys coming in with a Mets cap and a JETS jersey.

Its been fun.  Im pulling for you guys.

Thanks man, been a crazy run, as you said electric.

Best part is my kids actually get to see a championship run.  Jets, Mets, Knicks have left them hurting.  At least we had the Rangers the last few seasons to root on.

Is Ridley better than Powell? Or was he better prior to the injury?

In what sense?

I think Powell is much better in pass protection, and without looking at numbers may fumble less and be a better receivers out of the backfield. However, Ridley runs like he was shot out of a cannon. It depends on how they are being used.

I love the idea of Ivory and Ridley making defenses bleed.

You know what is better than one hammer? Two.

I am a long time die hard Yankee fan. However, I am VERY HAPPY for my Mets/Jets brothers. Our club here in Charlotte has been electric all month. Guys coming in with a Mets cap and a JETS jersey.

Its been fun.  Im pulling for you guys.

What an awful color scheme. 

Stevan Ridley should not touch the ball Sunday.   He will be a rusty liability and likely fumble candidate. Special Teams and a captain is fine.

Ivory...Ivory...and more Ivory.

Chris Ivory has 8 fumbles in 719  career carries. Ridley has 9 fumbles on 649 carries. Let's not make him out to be the most fumble prone RB of all time. It's just that Bellichick has zero tolerance for fumbles so when a guy fumbles they tend to lose their job for a few weeks. 

If Ridley is healthy, he will be on a mission to beat his old team. Powell is below average, so I would MUCH rather see Ridley get those 10-12 touches than Powell. Ridley is a guy that once ran for 1200 yards in a season. Powell could never do that. 

no he blows.  Strict north south runner doesn't make plays as a receiver.  Not that Powell is anything special either but I'd take him over Ridley tho I'm sure Ridley wants bad to stick it to Belicheat

None of the years before this season have anything to do with what we are today.

Are the Mets average or below average?  

Unfortunately way too many people focus on the past. None of this CS and a number of impact players were even on the team LAST YEAR much less 4 years ago.  No Marshall, Fitzpatrick, Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Gilchrist, Carpenter, L.Williams,  a hobbled Decker, etc.   Maybe the biggest difference is the CIRCUS has DEFINITELY left town. 

Unfortunately way too many people focus on the past. None of this CS and a number of impact players were even on the team LAST YEAR much less 4 years ago.  No Marshall, Fitzpatrick, Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Gilchrist, Carpenter, L.Williams,  a hobbled Decker, etc.   Maybe the biggest difference is the CIRCUS has DEFINITELY left town. 

Unfortunatly some wear their pessimism and the perceived black cloud that they believe follows them and the team around as a badge of honor.  

I hate the SOJF BS

Ridley is definitely more talented than Powell...or was. Ridley is a physical freak.

Is he better. Well we'll have to find out. Powell gets every drop out of his limited skill level.

We'll soon see where Ridley is health, knowledge, and emotion wise.

Chris Ivory has 8 fumbles in 719  career carries. Ridley has 9 fumbles on 649 carries. Let's not make him out to be the most fumble prone RB of all time. It's just that Bellichick has zero tolerance for fumbles so when a guy fumbles they tend to lose their job for a few weeks. 

If Ridley is healthy, he will be on a mission to beat his old team. Powell is below average, so I would MUCH rather see Ridley get those 10-12 touches than Powell. Ridley is a guy that once ran for 1200 yards in a season. Powell could never do that. 

I think you misunderstood me.  I am fine with Ridley earning carries going forward.  But not against his old team in his first game back.   The "revenge" motivation is overblown.  It is a cliche that often has no impact.  For every Andre Johnson vs. Houston, there are 4 times a player's performance is average or less.  Ridley is equally likely to fight for extra yardage and fumble as he is to play any better than he normally would.  No mistakes.

Ivory needs 30 carries.  NOBODY should cut into that number.

I think you misunderstood me.  I am fine with Ridley earning carries going forward.  But not against his old team in his first game back.   The "revenge" motivation is overblown.  It is a cliche that often has no impact.  For every Andre Johnson vs. Houston, there are 4 times a player's performance is average or less.  Ridley is equally likely to fight for extra yardage and fumble as he is to play any better than he normally would.  No mistakes.

Ivory needs 30 carries.  NOBODY should cut into that number.

Ivory needs 20 carries, not 30. At 30 you will expose him to injury and too much wear and tear with the way he runs. Ridley is better than Powell, when healthy. Reports seem to indicate that Ridley isn't quite 100pct back so I am OK with not making him active. But once Ridley is "back" he is clearly our number 2 RB and should get ALL the carries Powell was getting. 

Ivory needs 20 carries, not 30. At 30 you will expose him to injury and too much wear and tear with the way he runs. Ridley is better than Powell, when healthy. Reports seem to indicate that Ridley isn't quite 100pct back so I am OK with not making him active. But once Ridley is "back" he is clearly our number 2 RB and should get ALL the carries Powell was getting. 

We have not seen Ridley run yet following his recovery.   Yet you are ready to move him up the depth chart?

As for "exposing Ivory to injury?"  Only if a game is in hand and/or against a weaker opponent.  Sunday is  to give the Jets a chance to win the division.  Best chance to win is 30 carries.

Your philosophy is OK, but dead wrong this week.

Archived